Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Trip Computer (?) problem - Mechgoblin

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2007 Mazda3 BK, 1.6 gasoline, has around 190k km, and I have a problem with the trip computer: the average speed almost always stays the same, around 58-59 km/h, even when I drive the motorway for hours with 130 km/h.

The more interesting thing is the current fuel consumption is jumping all around, varying extremely: in one second it shows e.g. 2 l / 100 km, the next second 34 l / 100 km.

However, when I press the gas and keep it on a constant level, this jumping stops and stabilises on a level, which may or may not be accurate.

The other features of the trip computer work fine.

What can be the problem? Thank you for your answers in advance!

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Trip Computer (?) problem - RT

Are you sure your trip computer isn't showing the long-term average as that will only alter very slowly.

Yes, I was thinking about this as well, but it slightly changes, in the 55-59 km / h interval and never goes above 60 and never goes below 55. However, this is only the smaller problem.

What worries me a bit more is the current fuel consumption display, why is it jumping so extremely? Maybe a problem with the engine, or with the engine sensors?

Current/instant fuel consumption will vary enormously - I can get mine to change from under 10 to 999 in an instant

Oh cool, so I shall not worry? What may cause this, is this normal behaviour? Design error?

It's normal - pressing the throttle hard will use a lot of fuel whereas lifting off the throttle uses little (or none at certain settings)

Even when I lift off the throttle it is jumping extremely. I thought about the logic you mentioned as an explanation (pressing it consumes a lot, releasing it decreases consumption), but even when released it jumps in an extreme range.

Edited by Mechgoblin on 20/11/2023 at 10:46

Depending on the age of the car, and the relevant Euro emission level, some cars cut the fuel completely when lifting off above say 1,500 rpm but injects some fuel below that to maintain the idle - other cars inject just enough fuel on lift off to maintain the catalytic converter temperature.

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Trip Computer (?) problem - maz64

(removed)

Edited by maz64 on 23/11/2023 at 13:15

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Trip Computer (?) problem - Andrew-T

Oh cool, so I shall not worry? What may cause this, is this normal behaviour? Design error?

Your display can show (almost) instantaneous consumption, which will depend on where your right foot is, or long-term consumption, which may not have been reset since you got the car. If you aren't sure how to reset it, check the handbook.

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Trip Computer (?) problem - Engineer Andy

Not an error - the system uses the long term average for the speed and two - instantaneous and long term (i.e. taking into account all driving since the battery was installed and the system funning) for the fuel efficiency.

As others have said, the instantaneous fuel efficiency will bounce all over the place as you use the throttle (gas) peddle to varying degrees (you'll be surprised as to how much it varies).

On the other hand, the long term averages will change less and less as the car ages, unless the system gets reset if you change or disconnect the battery and the historical data is lost.

Not a design fault, but a design feature. What I don't like is that my 2005 car (same engine) can only display either L/100km, L/100 miles, not miles per (Imperial [UK]) gallon. Not sure whether that was an error by Mazda or just because my car was in import from Cyprus rather than full UK spec.

Needless to say, my car's long term fuel efficiency sits around the 7L/100km mark and barely moves.

I'm new to this forum, but guys, you are the best.

Thank you for your fast and extensive answers!

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Trip Computer (?) problem - skidpan

I have a 2007 Mazda3 BK, 1.6 gasoline, has around 190k km, and I have a problem with the trip computer: the average speed almost always stays the same, around 58-59 km/h, even when I drive the motorway for hours with 130 km/h.

The more interesting thing is the current fuel consumption is jumping all around, varying extremely: in one second it shows e.g. 2 l / 100 km, the next second 34 l / 100 km.

If these are the only things you can find "wrong" with a 16 year old car think yourself lucky. Just keep driving it.

The fuel consumption figure is without doubt the totally useless instant figure, waste of time having it.

We mostly ignore the dash display since its rarely accurate on most cars.

If you want to find out what your fuel consumption is all you need the the distance covered and fuel used and a pen and paper (or calculator for younger people.

What use the average speed display is I have no idea. Perhaps people use it to boast in the pub, who knows.

Mazda 3 - Mazda3 Trip Computer (?) problem - Andrew-T

< deleted >

Edited by Andrew-T on 23/11/2023 at 17:08