Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - William Beer
Hi all have been using HJ for years by searching for answers and have have searched this problem time and again with no joy.
I bought my 306 2 years ago tired and sad and badly maintained, one family owned for nearly 20 years
all genuine mileage around 30,000 miles.
It started and run with no smoke or nasty noises.
Was poor cold starting and glow plug relay had been bypassed with a manual switch added.
As wether turned colder starting got worse and not on all cylinders.
Started so bad one morning tried giving it glow plugs while already running, it started knocking like the crank was trying to get out.
Turned it off quick waited a while and started ok drove for a bit parked up.
Same happened next time with same results after turning off
Now it has massive diesel knock all the time at tick over but the higher you rev the more it evens out until 3000 ish rpm when it’ sounds as it should
Any input would be great as it’s just looking sad outside my front door.
Don’t mind spending on it even though it’s getting on but don’t want to throw cash at something for nothing cheers Will
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - elekie&a/c doctor
A 306 of this age should be a common rail diesel system, so shouldn’t really need glow plugs to start unless the ambient temperature is below 5 degrees. The diesel knock is likely to be injectors in trouble, which would also cause your staring issues.
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - Bromptonaut

Could a 1.9 of that age still be XUD or XUD derived ie indirect injection?

In which case the symptoms sound similar to those with my old Berlingo. Issue there valve clearances off beam due to cumulative wear. They're adjusted with shims which means camshaft out/in hokey cokey at considerable cost - £500 in 2015.

Cured the problem though.

EDIT: Wikipedia suggests that all diesel 306s after 1999 were HDi in which case the above is irrelevant. However some derivatives of the XUD remained on offer in, amongst others, the Berlingo, until 2005.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 05/11/2023 at 12:11

Could a 1.9 of that age still be XUD or XUD derived ie indirect injection?

In which case the symptoms sound similar to those with my old Berlingo. Issue there valve clearances off beam due to cumulative wear. They're adjusted with shims which means camshaft out/in hokey cokey at considerable cost - £500 in 2015.

Cured the problem though.

EDIT: Wikipedia suggests that all diesel 306s after 1999 were HDi in which case the above is irrelevant. However some derivatives of the XUD remained on offer in, amongst others, the Berlingo, until 2005.

Hi thanks for reply you are correct it is an xud, it was originally new to first owner a disability car so no doubt was offloaded as a lesser model left in stock, it passed to the daughter after 6/7 years who I purchased it from. I initially was worried that it was a mechanical knock but after I had revved the guts out of it and it quieted if held at high revs deduced it to be a diesel knock regards Will
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - Andrew-T

Wikipedia suggests that all diesel 306s after 1999 were HDi in which case the above is irrelevant. However some derivatives of the XUD remained on offer in, among others, the Berlingo, until 2005.

Can confirm the date of introduction of HDi engine to the 306 range. I had one of the earliest on a late T-plate, 1999. Ran it for several years with no trouble. Surprising that the good old XUD stayed till 2002, but not many 306s were registered in that year IIRC ? Must have been a run-out car.

Wikipedia suggests that all diesel 306s after 1999 were HDi in which case the above is irrelevant. However some derivatives of the XUD remained on offer in, among others, the Berlingo, until 2005.

Can confirm the date of introduction of HDi engine to the 306 range. I had one of the earliest on a late T-plate, 1999. Ran it for several years with no trouble. Surprising that the good old XUD stayed till 2002, but not many 306s were registered in that year IIRC ? Must have been a run-out car.

Have been really unlucky with models. Bought x wife 306 saloon in 2001 hdi 50mpg So bought myself a 2000 306 estate turned out to be the end of the 1.9 was very low mileage but only did 35 to the gallon Sold it and bought an x plate 306 hdi estate but was 3 months too old to get the cheap tax That was a blinder of a car though and ran it for 20 years and a 130,000 miles and except for consumables cost me under £200 in bits to run and when it went at 140,000 miles was still on the same clutch Bought a 308 sw with 13,000 on the clock and cost me more in the first week than the old 306 in 20 years So bought another 306 estate this time 2002 secure in the knowledge I had learned all the pitfallls and had a car that I wanted with 30,000 miles on a 2002 so cheap tax and on greatmpg only to pop the bonnet at home to find a lump of French pig iron ????????
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - Andrew-T

Can you tell whether your car ever had a replacement engine ? That could explain a XUD being in a 2002 car, which I would have thought was well too late for that ? The V5 will show an engine number, which has probably not been updated if it has been changed ?

A 306 of this age should be a common rail diesel system, so shouldn’t really need glow plugs to start unless the ambient temperature is below 5 degrees. The diesel knock is likely to be injectors in trouble, which would also cause your staring issues.

Hi thanks for reply, hdi engine is what I thought when I bought it but even though it was two years newer than my last 306 estate Turned out to be a 1.9 xud. I am also leaning towards injectors but a bit reluctant because of the timing with me giving it extra glow plugs and instantly knocking like a sledge hammer on an anvil ?
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - Bromptonaut
Hi thanks for reply, hdi engine is what I thought when I bought it but even though it was two years newer than my last 306 estate Turned out to be a 1.9 xud. I am also leaning towards injectors but a bit reluctant because of the timing with me giving it extra glow plugs and instantly knocking like a sledge hammer on an anvil ?

Doubling up the glow plug times was exactly what I was doing with the Berlingo. Probably over a year of it being lumpy on cold mornings, improved with new hotter(?) plugs then came back again. Somebody here (or the other place) mentioned valve clearances early on but my garage, supposedly a PSA expert, said the gaps were set for life at the factory. Tried to persuade me the head was cracked and/or gasket failed.

I literally had to ask for the clearances to be checked as a favour for a long standing customer.

Cold, there was zero clearance as the valves were a fractions of a mm high on their seats and not closing. As soon as they/the head warmed a little expansion took effect and all was fine.

Doubling up the glow plug times was exactly what I was doing with the Berlingo. Probably over a year of it being lumpy on cold mornings, improved with new hotter(?) plugs then came back again. Somebody here (or the other place) mentioned valve clearances early on but my garage, supposedly a PSA expert, said the gaps were set for life at the factory. Tried to persuade me the head was cracked and/or gasket failed.

I literally had to ask for the clearances to be checked as a favour for a long standing customer.

Cold, there was zero clearance as the valves were a fractions of a mm high on their seats and not closing. As soon as they/the head warmed a little expansion took effect and all was fine.

Reply | Report as offensive | Link
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - elekie&a/c doctor
Has it ever had a timing belt replacement, ? If the timing is out , that could cause diesel knock and poor starting..
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - focussed

In my experience with a major engine manufacturer during the time when indirect injection diesels were still made,

If the engine is making the diesel knock on all 4 cylinders as previously mentioned it's probably a timing problem, most likely the cam belt was changed and the pump drive toothed pulley was assembled one tooth advanced.

If as mentioned by the OP the sound is like a hammer on an anvil on one cylinder it's more than likely a sticking injector pintle. That injector doesn't spray, it just dollops fuel into the indirect prechamber which ignites with a bang instead of a smooth burn.

If this is happening the resulting noise is just as you describe, it sounds like a really bad big end bearing.

Get the injectors out and serviced at a decent diesel injection shop.

Edited by focussed on 08/11/2023 at 23:07

In my experience with a major engine manufacturer during the time when indirect injection diesels were still made,

If the engine is making the diesel knock on all 4 cylinders as previously mentioned it's probably a timing problem, most likely the cam belt was changed and the pump drive toothed pulley was assembled one tooth advanced.

If as mentioned by the OP the sound is like a hammer on an anvil on one cylinder it's more than likely a sticking injector pintle. That injector doesn't spray, it just dollops fuel into the indirect prechamber which ignites with a bang instead of a smooth burn.

If this is happening the resulting noise is just as you describe, it sounds like a really bad big end bearing.

Get the injectors out and serviced at a decent diesel injection shop.

Hi thanks for your reply appreciate everybodies input, I will try and discern if it is on all cylinders but have been leaning towards injector problem just didn’t want to throw cash at the problem as soon gets expensive. Is it cheaper to buy a set of injectors than have old ones tested and ultimately renewed if finding fault Cheers Will
Hi thanks for reply, It didn’t look like it had had oil when I bought it never mind a belt, when I found it to be an xuv my intention was to have an hdi put in instead so just changed oil and filters to use until then. One of my initial thoughts were that the belt had slipped a tooth when I gave it the extra heaters whilst running but as it quietens to normal when revved the nuts out of didn’t think that was the case
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - focussed

If the belt had slipped a tooth as you say, that would retard the injection timing which would tend to produce less diesel knock together with more combustion smoke.

Consider using this small company, he will service old school mencahical injectors.

www.dieselbob.co.uk/injectors.aspx

Edited by focussed on 16/11/2023 at 00:25

Brilliant thankyou that rules that out as no smoke, will check out link ??
Hi thought I had replies to everyone but seems not. Thanks for your comment, it isn’t the hdi for some reason it’s the older 1.9 xd engine.
Peugeot 306 1.9 diesel 2002 - Massive diesel knock - Railroad.

Sounds like the pump timing is too far advanced. On rotary pumps a tiny adjustment makes a massive difference.