2010 vauxhall zafira 1.9 CDTi diesel - ZAFIRA DIESEL 1.9 CDTi - FUEL ADDITIVE ? - MrFylde

I have a 2010 vauxhall zafira 1.9 CDTi diesel with 94,000 on the clock and have owned it for ten years. The car has been very reliable and always starts first time, every time. But recently, I have had some issues with the car going into limp-mode when starting without any warning lights showingECU .

I took it to the dealer but no error codes were found so they recommended I take the car for a monthly drive on the motorway for 20-30 minutes in 4th gear with revs between 3,000-4,000 rpm and that should fix the problem. So I am trying to do that.

Is it also a good idea to use a diesel fuel additive to clean the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF)?

I have never used an additive before and would like the opinions of others who have.

nn

Thanks in advance for any responses.

2010 vauxhall zafira 1.9 CDTi diesel - ZAFIRA DIESEL 1.9 CDTi - FUEL ADDITIVE ? - Gibbo_Wirral

No fuel additive will clean an already sooted up DPF.

Imagine its like a tea mug - when its new it will clean with a bit of hot water. Then over time, as the tannins build up, it needs washing up liquid. Then it needs a wipe. Then it needs bleach. Finally it needs a heavy scourer to get it clean.

Until it finally gets to a point where nothing will clean it.

And the "4th gear for 20 minutes" won't miraculously fix it, just like a bit of jogging won't fix years of body neglect through lack of exercise and junk food!

My advice would be to remove and clean the egr valve (brake cleaner or Mr Muscle), and consider a replacement DPF from CATS2U.

2010 vauxhall zafira 1.9 CDTi diesel - ZAFIRA DIESEL 1.9 CDTi - FUEL ADDITIVE ? - MrFylde

Update...I did go to the garage and spoke with a mechanic who said that the problem did not appear so bad and to first try using the diesel fuel additive to clean the DPF and exhaust system. So I bought the additive and we will see how it goes.

Just to add that I drove 45 miles yesterday with several stops and no further problems occurred.

2010 vauxhall zafira 1.9 CDTi diesel - ZAFIRA DIESEL 1.9 CDTi - FUEL ADDITIVE ? - edlithgow

Never had a mug that got "to a point where nothing will clean it. " though admittedly I don't drink diesel.

WHAT are you drinking?

2010 vauxhall zafira 1.9 CDTi diesel - ZAFIRA DIESEL 1.9 CDTi - FUEL ADDITIVE ? - Gibbo_Wirral

Yorkshire Gold tea, 9 cups a day.

My teeth are just as bad - clean them 3 times a day and even the dentist struggles to get the staining off!

2010 vauxhall zafira 1.9 CDTi diesel - ZAFIRA DIESEL 1.9 CDTi - FUEL ADDITIVE ? - gordonbennet

Agree with Gibbo about removing and cleaning the EGR valve, you'll be shocked just how full of carbon they can get, depending on what you see with that out the inlet maifold may need cleaning out too.

Once that is done see if things improve.

If you're going to try any additives i'd be more inclinded to run a tin of Forte or other good quality injector cleaner through the system.

Tetley tea folk here, probably average around 9 mugfuls a, 4 so far today, however when at home all tea is made the correct way in a pre heated teapot with the milk and sugar in the cup before adding the tea, the cups don't get too badly stained and it is after all the correct way to make tea, best drink of the day :-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 25/09/2023 at 12:32