Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - John-218

Hi all,

We bought a 20 plate manual Crossland X with 18,000 miles on the clock 3 weeks ago. On Bank holiday Monday we were cruising uphill when the engine started making a noise like a hammer drill, and warning lights came on the dash so we pulled over. It had lost power so we arranged for breakdown recovery to take us back home.

We first that it was the coil pack (as did the recovery man) but the garage said it was the knock sensor that had gone. 3 days later after working on it for hours it was replaced but the car cut out when they took it for a test drive, so at the moment they don't know what's up with it !

Our daughter's lost confidence in the car. If it's going to be tricky ongoing faults how do we stand with regards to a replacement car or even our money back ? Maybe it's early days yet, I just thought I'd get your opinions. We've never had these problems before, it seems that all these new computerized gadgets are a pain in the butt !

I don't like to think my daughter is out in a car that could be faulty.

It look like it will be still in the garage till next week so we'll try for a courtesy car.

Thanks for listening,

John

Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - skidpan

Only 3 weeks ago, already had a chance to fix it, reject for a 100% refund under the Consumer Rights Act.

Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - elekie&a/c doctor
I think the garage don’t know what they are talking about . A knock sensor faulty will not cause these symptoms, although on this model it’s common to flag this fault but the sensor is not the issue . If they can’t fix it , reject it . You’re within your 30 day rights .
Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - John-218

Thanks for the replies.

When the recovery man came, the car was running but it seemed like it was running on only 2 cylinders instead of 3, that's why he thought it was a coil pack. We've had coil pack problems on previous cars so we also thought that's what it was.

When the recovery man got the car off his truck the warning lights had gone, he said it must have reset itself ? The car was starting and running but a bit rough (like it was a cylinder down).

The garage used used to be a Vauxhall dealer until Peugeot took over, now it is an independent garage. They said the coil packs were all ok and it was the knock sensor that was faulty. After they fitted one the car broke down again (cut out) when they took it for a test drive.

Thanks again for the replies.

John

Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - elekie&a/c doctor
Sounds like it’s running the Peugeot pure tech engine. Have the oil and spark plugs been checked?
Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - craig-pd130

Was it bought from a Vauxhall dealer, or an independent garage?

If the former, it might be a little easier to deal with than with an independent. But either way, as it's only 3 weeks since you bought it, the dealer should definitely provide you with a courtesy car while they fully investigate. And you should not pay a penny in repairs, as any fault that develops within 6 months of sale is assumed to have been present or developing at the time of sale.

If the car cannot be repaired satisfactorily by the supplying dealer (you should give them another opportunity to do so, even though their initial fix did not work), reject it. Google 'how to reject a car honest john' and you'll get full details of how to do this.

Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - Big John

Reject the car - full money back:-

www.theaa.com/car-buying/legal-rights

Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - skidpan

you should give them another opportunity to do so, even though their initial fix did not work

Before 28 days you only have to give them one opportunity to fix it, two was in the old act.

Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - craig-pd130

Before 28 days you only have to give them one opportunity to fix it, two was in the old act.

Ah, noted.

Vauxhall Crossland X - Car Broken Down - Advise Needed. - John F

I presume the car will be rejected and we will hear no more, but it would be interesting to know what the eventual diagnosis is. There is a lot of difference between merely the roughness of a mis- or non-firing cylinder and 'sounding like a hammer drill'. Although assuming it is the 1.2 puretech, perhaps it does make a dreadful racket when trying to run on just two cylinders.