Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2017 - oil change message at 7000km - Bobibg

Hi there,

I own this mondeo 2017 2.0 tdci since brand new and till 200'000km/ (middle of 2021) was serviced by ford dealer.

Now the car is 260000 km. and this year the car started to show very often oil change message. Enen the factory interval is 30000km the message appears about 7-8000 km after oil change + reset. Since the car is not at guarantee I started to service it in a local garage. First the guy in the garage poured Total Quartz (which had to be fine for the model) Last year was fine but this year had to change the oil 2-3 times then I blamed the oil and last time used the original castrol from the local ford dealer.

The issue is still on. The ECU recalls error message of "oil deterioration". Can this be true ? The mileage is 6500 km and oil was changed like ... last month. Now I reset the oil counter to check if it will light on soon.

I go 2-3 times a week for long trips of 300+ km. And the short trips are not so many.

Did any one have idea what could be wrong?

Edited by Bobibg on 19/08/2023 at 13:42

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2017 - oil change message at 7000km - mickyh7

Sounds like the oil is contaminated with Diesel.

Due to unfinished DPF regenerations.

Change it as soon as possible, for the sake of a few quid. And you might squeeze a few more miles out of the engine!

Thank you mickyh7. Do you know how to regen the DPF or need a new one?

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2017 - oil change message at 7000km - elekie&a/c doctor
All Diesel engines fitted with a dpf system have an oil quality sensor in the sump . Perhaps it’s faulty or needs cleaning?
Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2017 - oil change message at 7000km - edlithgow
All Diesel engines fitted with a dpf system have an oil quality sensor in the sump . Perhaps it’s faulty or needs cleaning?

Really? Hadn't heard that. How do they work?

For diesel dilution you'd probably want to measure viscosity, which aint trivial.

I used to be a bit interested in oil quality monitoring, and briefly fiddled around with scanning digital photos of paper chromatograms (look up "blotter spot test") with the idea of running a student project on it, but couldn't fit it into the schedule.

Got a nice graph though

That MIGHT detect diesel fuel dilution, but I havn't tried it for that

Quick search turns up this

rheonics.com/solutions-item/real-time-engine-oil-c.../

This is a viscometer. Spiel is tediously repetitive but focus seems to be industrial process control. There's no mention of it being applied in cars.

and this

www.descase.com/products/condition-monitoring/sens.../

Works on dielectric constant, apparently. Rather hard to believe it can be very specific in monitoring "all wear, all contaminants and oxidation" so it probably just outputs a go/no go number. Viscosity, isn't mentioned.

There was a DIY-targetted hand held gizmo (Lubricheck?) that IIRC allegedly also worked on dielectric constant, but that seems to have disappeared.

Amazon now has these rather dubious offerings

www.amazon.com/Quality-Detector-Analyzer-Detection...S

Chinglish nonsense description gives no confidence.

www.amazon.com/SolUptanisu-Diagnostic-Quality-Anal...r

OPTICAL: It appears to tell you how BLACK your oil is. For $60. Hee hee.

www.amazon.com/Akozon-Portable-Analyzer-Rechargeab...r

No info at all.

Didn't find any mention of OEM sensors, though someone must be selling them

Edited by edlithgow on 20/08/2023 at 02:00

Really? Hadn't heard that. How do they work?

For diesel dilution you'd probably want to measure viscosity, which aint trivial.

I used to be a bit interested in oil quality monitoring, and briefly fiddled around with scanning digital photos of paper chromatograms (look up "blotter spot test") with the idea of running a student project on it, but couldn't fit it into the schedule.

Got a nice graph though

That MIGHT detect diesel fuel dilution, but I havn't tried it for that

Quick search turns up this

rheonics.com/solutions-item/real-time-engine-oil-c.../

This is a viscometer. Spiel is tediously repetitive but focus seems to be industrial process control. There's no mention of it being applied in cars.

and this

www.descase.com/products/condition-monitoring/sens.../

Works on dielectric constant, apparently. Rather hard to believe it can be very specific in monitoring "all wear, all contaminants and oxidation" so it probably just outputs a go/no go number. Viscosity, isn't mentioned.

There was a DIY-targetted hand held gizmo (Lubricheck?) that IIRC allegedly also worked on dielectric constant, but that seems to have disappeared.

Amazon now has these rather dubious offerings

www.amazon.com/Quality-Detector-Analyzer-Detection...S

Chinglish nonsense description gives no confidence.

www.amazon.com/SolUptanisu-Diagnostic-Quality-Anal...r

OPTICAL: It appears to tell you how BLACK your oil is. For $60. Hee hee.

www.amazon.com/Akozon-Portable-Analyzer-Rechargeab...r

No info at all.

Didn't find any mention of OEM sensors, though someone must be selling them

Great Post!

Really informative.

I agree, never heard of this sensor in my life.

What usually flags up is 'Oil Level Too High' (because of waste Diesel in the sump).

Edited by mickyh7 on 20/08/2023 at 09:15

Could be full on that milage. They can be cleaned out.

They are very expensive to renew.

I suggest you have the fault codes read first, before throwing parts and money at it!

Good Luck with it.

After code read, there is only this code, related with oil deterioration.

Where is this sensor located ? Is it integrated to oil level sensor. I tried to find oil quality sensor for my motor but no luck. I wonder also if DPF regen fails should it throw some error code ?

Edited by Bobibg on 19/08/2023 at 20:23

Google is your friend!

You Tube is your friend!

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2017 - oil change message at 7000km - bathtub tom

At that mileage, I suspect your DPF may be full. You can either replace it (expensive), have it cleaned (perhaps not worthwhile), or delete it. I suspect from your post, you're not UK based and don't know what the rules are where you are.

Google is your friend!

You Tube is your friend!

b******s, OTOH, is your enemy, and that's where it lives.

Edited by edlithgow on 20/08/2023 at 02:10

How come the Mary Whitehouse Module removes leading caps from naughty words? Are they somehow more offensive when correctly punctuated?

Surely it should be the other way around, if anything?

I tried both b******* and b******s and it happened both times

Thank you all. Correct guess, I am not from UK, but the regulations here are same I guess. I can't cut out the DPF.... anyway the question of oil quality sensor used in cars still remains.

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2017 - oil change message at 7000km - RT

Thank you all. Correct guess, I am not from UK, but the regulations here are same I guess. I can't cut out the DPF.... anyway the question of oil quality sensor used in cars still remains.

Most cars where the marketing dept proclaim an "oil quality sensor" actually just use an algorithm in the ECU based on mileage and number of cold starts.

Some cars have multiple oil change counters, eg minor and major - with owners able to reset the minor counter but needing full diagnostics to reset the major counter.

How come the Mary Whitehouse Module removes leading caps from naughty words? Are they somehow more offensive when correctly punctuated?

Surely it should be the other way around, if anything?

I tried both b******* and b******s and it happened both times

Because Little Boys like yourself, can't be trusted on a Keyboard, without Mummy watching over you.

Learn some words instead of swearing. It makes you look stupid!

Google and You Tube are only tools.

If you can't use tools it's your problem.

Perhaps if you went away and let the Big Boys help this chap?

Your clearly out of your depth.

This code is generated after 'X' amount of failed regenerations. It's software based and is a counter system.

No Sensor.

Edited by mickyh7 on 20/08/2023 at 07:38

But then if I had gone away, you Big Boys wouldn't have had the benefit, if such it was, of that "Great Post" you enthuse about above.

(Unless that was "I very much feel your science is very useful to me" stylee sarcasm". a tough act to follow)

I know Mary doesn't like swearing (though I don't think b******* IS actually swearing) Thats what she's for. I was just puzzled by her dislike of correctly capitalised swearing. A minor technical algorithmic issue, IOW

Still, I suppose none of us can guarantee consistent consistency.

Seems we agree that an on board oil quality monitor (as opposed to a usage based estimator algorithm) is a bit unlikely,, at any rate

Mary died over 20 years ago.

The UK is quite a different place now.

This site is visited by kids, including my own Grandkids.

Why the need to use any kind of Swearwords.

Save them for the Pub.

(swearing only sounds good, coming from very well spoken ladies)!

Your post was interesting,taking away viscosity and temperature, however for what seems an educated person, looking at your previous posts , your engineering skills leave a lot to be desired!

I would listen to you, but I wouldn't employ you.

Have a great day, as they say.

Engine oil level sensors, OTOH, do seem to be a thing

www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/sensor-engine-oil-leve...i

according to Librewolf browser, that is. Havn't tried Google...

Edited by edlithgow on 20/08/2023 at 09:22

See my previous posts.

What usually flags up is 'Oil Level Too High' (because of waste Diesel in the sump).

Edited by mickyh7 on 20/08/2023 at 09:30

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2017 - oil change message at 7000km - Xileno

Mods don't have any control over the swear filter apart from being able to add words. We can't take them out. It is what it is, warts and all including the noted capitalisation which is news to us.

Good to hear that there are youngsters reading the forums. There was me thinking it was only argumentative adults ;-)

Good to hear that there are youngsters reading the forums. There was me thinking it was only argumentative adults ;-)

Must admit I found this a bit surprising, even disturbing. Why are the poor wee things spending time here, in this domain of Oily Old Men?

(Girl I knew in The Yook used to refer to me as an OA, which I gather stands for Oily Anachronism, though uncomfortably close to OAP. Sarky Cow)

Shouldn't they be running in the sun, flying kites, collecting shells on the beach?

Then it dawned on me that if I had grandchildren they might now be coming up with 10-year-old-Corsa issues.

Sobering thought.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/08/2023 at 01:23

See my previous posts.

I saw your previous posts, including your "no sensor" post, where you say its based on the regen history.

As above, it seems that at least some Mondeo have an oil level sensor, (though out of stock with that supplier)

Dunno how they work but from the picture its got a heat sink on the body, so maybe microwave level sensing, with a microprocessor.

I took your "no sensor" to mean it hasn't got a sensor, but I suppose its quite likely to issue a warning based on regen monitoring AND/OR oil level sensing.

If it has an oil level sensor I would suggest the OP doesn't assume its at fault, and be persuaded to replace it, parts cannon stylee, since, as suggested above, its quite likely that DPF regens are causing oil dilution and a rising oil level.

Apparently Ford advocate not filling to the max to allow some headroom for this, a rather off-putting work-around.

www.talkford.com/threads/mondeo-2-0-tdci-140-oil-c.../

Hopefully, presence of an oil level sensor, if it has one, doesn't mean you no longer have a dipstick, and you will still be able to directly monitor your oil level.

Seems there can also be issues with dealerships failing to reset the OLM after an oil change

www.talkford.com/threads/oil-service-warning-2010-.../

Ford Mondeo 2.0 tdci 2017 - oil change message at 7000km - Andrew-T

Mary died over 20 years ago. The UK is quite a different place now. This site is visited by kids, including my own Grandkids. Why the need to use any kind of Swearwords..

Micky, if you aspire to a role as Moderator, why don't you do it officially ?

Reverting to topic, and thinking as no more than an interested amateur, we seem to have established that the OP's car is accumulating fuel in its sump. Which suggests that the problem may lie with regens - which then suggests that the DPF may be time-expired because of the high mileage. To me, that seems a simple explanation, but I'm probably wrong ?

Mary died over 20 years ago. The UK is quite a different place now. This site is visited by kids, including my own Grandkids. Why the need to use any kind of Swearwords..

Micky, if you aspire to a role as Moderator, why don't you do it officially ?

Reverting to topic, and thinking as no more than an interested amateur, we seem to have established that the OP's car is accumulating fuel in its sump. Which suggests that the problem may lie with regens - which then suggests that the DPF may be time-expired because of the high mileage. To me, that seems a simple explanation, but I'm probably wrong ?

We havn't "established" anything.

Dead DPF is one possible (and likely) explanation.

The OP seems to like the idea that he's got a faulty oil monitoring gizmo, which would probably be cheaper than a DPF, so an understandable preference.

Direct physical monitoring of oil level, with an Olde Worlde dipstick, could give some unambiguous diagnostic information.

Without a dipstick, one is a bit screwed (which Mary doesn't mind. I established that earlier)

It seems a good explanation, however the Parts Cannon is an expensive gun!

Simple code read, should give enough facts for a correct fix.

Could be the DPF, or the oil level sensor. I'm sure a car of this age will have a dipstick, so that's an easy check. My Audi doesn't have one, but one is available to buy??? So perhaps even borrow one.

Lots of folk just have the DPF removed and mapped out. Half the price of a new unit!

Me a mod? Tounge in cheek surely?

Sorry, I don't have time for the real world, never mind the pretend World!

Too many Rocket Scientists and Keyboard Hard Men for me to deal with.

I use these forums for help and to occasionally share my past fixes.

ATB

After reading all presented threads and links (thank you all for sharing) I start to think that the devil might be also in oil quantity. DPF might be full also at this mileage and bring trouble, but code read did not pop with dpf related code.

Appears must feel lucky the ford old timers still placed a dipstick so can check the real level ;)

So the dipstick is at the max, but it was at the max right after oil change. After a long drain, filter replaced and refill of 6 L (the book says 6.3L) it is at max marking. I can not say if now after 8k km it is increased by a 1 mm above the max or not but it one is clear, the oil level is at max. One more note. Once started to service the car to a local garage It was noticed that the drain cap was like "virgin" so I guess when service was carried out by dealers it was never drained, just pumped out. Also now I recall that oil level was never at max when serviced by dealers so thay leave room to fill up with diesel... if true and were not driven just by pure greed of not filling and changing the whole quantity but payd for all..

Regarding the oil sensor, I agree since the only "price affordable" sensor for automotive application might be oil level related and not oil quality related this high oil level can lead to software related alarm.

So, after all, I start to wonder how much diesel in the oil can reduce the viscosity so much as to put in to a risk the effective lubrication.

Did anyone can say from it's experience or one have ever tested such thing in a lab ?

Edited by Bobibg on 21/08/2023 at 02:34

IIRC your final question on how much viscosity is reduced by a given amount of oil dilution can only be answered by experiment, since viscosity responds in a non-linear fashion to dilution, and different oils respond to different extents.

In other words, to take a simple case, if you diluted your oil 50:50 with diesel (dont) the final viscosity of the mix wouldn't be a simple average of the oil and the diesels viscosity.

It would be skewed heavily (unfortunately) towards the lower viscosity, but calculation of how much is not possible, even by people who know about these things.

To experiment with that, you would have to be able to measure viscosity, which isn't easy to do accurately even with the right fairly sophisticated lab gear.

Since (see Ford forum link above) Ford apparently recommend not filling to the max to allow headspace for oil dilution, they would presumably claim this level of dilution does no harm, but then they would say that, wouldn't they?

If I understand you correctly, though, your dipstick check gives no indication of oil dilution. Keep checking, but if this continues, and you keep getting this error message, either the message is grossly misleading (which apparently is not unusual) and is in fact based on another problem, (such as, but not limited to, DPF regens) or perhaps your oil level sensor is faulty and it would be worth getting it checked, assuming anyone is able to do this.

Other possibilities might include

(a) Dealer failing to reset the oil life monitor. This is common, according to the Ford forum links above

(b) Excessive oil dilution accompanied by excessive consumption of the thinned oil, which can more easily pass the rings. In this case consumption might match dilution so the oil level doesn't change. Perhaps not VERY likely, but its the case that can lead to engine runaway and destruction, so its as well to bear it in mind.

Edited by edlithgow on 21/08/2023 at 07:07

<< Other possibilities might include ... >>

[c] Ford recommending filling a bit below the dipstick mark because they have found that a complete fill triggers the warning we are discussing ? :-)

This answer [c] really cheered me up. Will drain some oil just to go below max and wait to see what will follow :)

Edited by Bobibg on 21/08/2023 at 11:02

This answer [c] really cheered me up. Will drain some oil just to go below max and wait to see what will follow :)

Why not leave it and see if your light comes back on again without a noticable increase in oil level (assuming it hasn't already)?

Then if it does you can drain (or suck, tricky to drain) it a bit and reset.

If it doesn't (and you are that interested) you could top it up a bit and see if you can get the light to come on. As long as its only a slight excess it shouldn't do any harm.

[c] Ford recommending filling a bit below the dipstick mark because they have found that a complete fill triggers the warning we are discussing ? :-)

Nice. Simple, testable, and seems very likely

Edited by edlithgow on 21/08/2023 at 13:52

And 6 litres does seem rather a lot of oil - to me, anyway, being used to 3.5 or thereabouts :-)

And 6 litres does seem rather a lot of oil - to me, anyway, being used to 3.5 or thereabouts :-)

Yeh, sounded a bit "muscle car" to me, but I never had a Mondeo

Mondeo is far away from muscle car ;) according to the owner's manual it takes 6.1 to 6.3 l of motor oil.

Mondeo is far away from muscle car ;) according to the owner's manual it takes 6.1 to 6.3 l of motor oil.

My implication was that 5 to 5½ litres instead of 6 might make a difference, while causing no threat of damage to the engine - and that possibly several years experience might have shown that 6 litres was an overfill ? Handbooks don't get updated automatically .... :-)