ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - _

The moral of the story? Not quite sure.

Neigbours 18yr old son saved up, parents and gramps helped get a car, Passed on 2nd attempt,and used car for a few weeks, the 2 weeks on the Costas with family.

Came home to multiple tickets for going through what many use as a rat-run where the local council have started enforcing using CCTV.

Bank of mum and dad have told him pay yourself. He is an apprentice brickie so when not in college earns a fair bit.

Chastened young man.

Look on the bright side, Not speeding or traffic light cameras.

And have seen him driving, sometimes even following and a pretty good driver for a newly passsed one.

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - gordonbennet

I go through such a restriction every day i drive to work in the early hours, restriction goes live at 9.30am, few weeks ago on a day off drove throught the town on autopilot and went sailing through the restriction at 10am.

£60 charge reduced to £30 for quick payment arrived couple of days later.

As said just a charge and no points to gather.

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - Chris M

"Came home to multiple tickets for going through what many use as a rat-run where the local council have started enforcing using CCTV."

Seems to be the current fashion where rules only need to be obeyed if there's a chance of being caught.

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - FP

I suppose the morals of the story are to be more observant, if he failed to spot the cameras, and to follow the rules.

He's eighteen - not even half cooked yet.

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - Terry W

I also did this recently - probably the first time in more than 30 years.

Lack of observation (some small signs) and sat-nav to blame. Restricted exit from dual carriageway was a few hundred yards before the exit I should have taken. S

at-nav says "take the next exit in xx yards". I simply took the next exit on autopilot. £30 lesson!

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - bathtub tom

I did it once in a town I used to be familiar with, but the restriction had since been applied. Got away with it, fortunately.

Daughter used to do it regularly as a short cut to a car park. Said everyone does it. BIB spotted her one night!

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - chesterfieldhouse

We live close to the town centre of a small market town in Shropshire. Due to the narrow steep road & lack of pavements in places, there are 3 Traffic Regulation Orders (TRO's) in place: a weight restriction, one way & access only, the road signs are clear & unambiguous at the entry. The access only TRO prohibits motor vehicles, unless for access to an address or setting on the road. It's not a private road or residents only, anyone can use it, but the function is to reduce through traffic.

While l guess anyone can make a genuine mistake & cut through, it's regularly used as a perceived short cut to the river bridge, by those who drive by the "pick & choose" traffic sign method & are well aware of their actions.

Local authorities can now apply to central government to take over enforcement of minor traffic infringements. l would hazard a guess this is what's happened in this young mans case.

Answer

Yes. Colchester had the power a while back and one of the others at The Hythe east Colchester was very lightly enforced initially as everyone got a letter. But no 2nd chances.

I still see people cutting through the one from the Albert pub roundabout up to the Wickes roundabout on N Station rd. Northbound.

Southbound is an active bus lane but N for access only for residents.

Edited by _ORB_ on 15/08/2023 at 11:26

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - Bromptonaut

For a long time enforcement of minor moving traffic infringemets - turn restrictions, no entry, access only etc were only subject to Civil Enforcement, ie by the Council, was restricted to London. At the time I was professionally involved in this stuff and, like the move of parking away from police and their Traffic Wardens it seemed to be a wholly good thing.

Infringements are actually dealt with and, where they're disputed, there's a dedicated route through London Tribunals, for them to be resolved efficiently and with minimum formality.

Genuinely surprised it took so long to get it rolled out to LA's generally in rest of England.

As they could not enforce and the police lacked resources one or two councils used a bit of imagination to deal with egregious stuff.

One was near Bedford where a small 'new town' was accessed via a dedicated feeder road but had direct access to the A6(T) for buses only. Initially this was enforced by a 'No Entry except buses' restriction. No police resource to enforce and it was massively ignored.

Council changed the markings to those of a bus lane, which they could enforce and installed cameras. Caught them like flies.

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - bathtub tom
One was near Bedford where a small 'new town' was accessed via a dedicated feeder road but had direct access to the A6(T) for buses only. Initially this was enforced by a 'No Entry except buses' restriction. No police resource to enforce and it was massively ignored.

Council changed the markings to those of a bus lane, which they could enforce and installed cameras. Caught them like flies.

Wixams? Gt Denham?

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - Bromptonaut

Wixams? Gt Denham?

Wixams looked right location wise and a quick search found we discussed it a length over the way a C4P.

Not sure I can post a link to that site but the start point was a Mail article:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2298811/Furious-d...l

The original restriction wasn't no entry but No Motor Vehicles with an exception for local buses. Same process thereafter with the Council installing a bus lane.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 15/08/2023 at 14:05

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - John F

My son's g/frnd got caught in our old Focus in Colchester. Looked like turning left into a perfectly normal junction, but small blue sign on photo said 'buses only' or some-such. Not exactly obvious to non-locals, but no doubt a rewarding money spinner for the good burghers of C'ster.

My son's g/frnd got caught in our old Focus in Colchester. Looked like turning left into a perfectly normal junction, but small blue sign on photo said 'buses only' or some-such. Not exactly obvious to non-locals, but no doubt a rewarding money spinner for the good burghers of C'ster.

Indeed, Colchester High street has been restricted access for some time, but a nice money spinner now that is enforced. If I need to go to the town, Bus stop is 100 yards away, stops on High st. 400 yd walk to return bus stop as High st is part of 1 way system, (and I might add not to bad) except for the hordes of uber/justeat and other delivery riders, drivers and for a while till it got stopped food delivery riders on the legal rented scooters. Oh and the traffic wardens have a field day daily as there is no public parking except for a good few disabled spaces.

ANY - No entry except for authorised vehicles - Adampr

Indeed, Colchester High street has been restricted access for some time, but a nice money spinner now that is enforced. If I need to go to the town, Bus stop is 100 yards away, stops on High st. 400 yd walk to return bus stop as High st is part of 1 way system, (and I might add not to bad) except for the hordes of uber/justeat and other delivery riders, drivers and for a while till it got stopped food delivery riders on the legal rented scooters. Oh and the traffic wardens have a field day daily as there is no public parking except for a good few disabled spaces.

Presumably, it stops those p******s from spending all night driving up Head Street, down the High Street, past the bust station and along Southway to rinse and repeat? Or does it go unrestricted at 'cruising' time?