2017 BMW 5 series - AdBlue System Failure - Saul Goodman
Hello all,

I’m wondering if someone could give me some pointers before I take it to be looked at tomorrow.

Car is well serviced, maintained etc..

Driving along today on a short trip, engine management light and warning came up, “AdBlue System failure”

I’ve checked the AdBlue level, apparently has 2500 miles left.

I’ve read a few posts on other forums but doesn’t seem to be too common.

I’m bracing myself, any suggestions as to what it could be?

Thank you
2017 BMW 5 series - AdBlue System Failure - craig-pd130

Possibly the AdBlue injector pump or injector, or a related sensor. Apparently a dicky temperature sensor in the exhaust (or on the DPF) can trigger the warning too, as the ECU thinks that the conditions aren't right for NOx catalytic reduction.

Thank you,

Would you know what could happen if I continue driving with it on?

I did suspect a temperature sensor, I’m not too well up on these things but I’ve noticed my heating is not working well. I need to turn it right up to 28 to get the heat on, there’s no regulation, anything less and it’s cold. Is that possibly connected?

2017 BMW 5 series - AdBlue System Failure - elekie&a/c doctor
The adblue and dpf systems are very complicated in their operation. It’s not really possible to guess what’s wrong. Possibly the engine is not running at the correct temperature, that’s why the heater is not effective. Does the car have an engine temperature gauge ?
I’m not too sure, the temp gauge on the dashboard is pointing in the middle. But I’m not sure how to check the actual temp.

I’ve had DPF issues with another car in the past. It had been deactivated and needed a full replacement. Was a nightmare.

This car the worst fault I’ve had is a flat battery. It’s puzzling.
Does the car have an engine temperature gauge ?

The current generation of BMWs have an oil temp gauge rather than coolant temp, which is more useful for everyday driving but not helpful in this case.

Hmm ?? a quick update if anyone may have any light to shed.

The following day, before I decided to go to BMW, I topped up the AdBlue just to see if that did something. Hey presto! All lights off!
Drive fine for 2 days, and then lights were back on, engine management & control message “AdBlue system failure”
Switched the car off for 5 mins, AdBlue warning off, but engine management light remained, control had no faults listed!
Switched the car off for a further 5 mins. Engine management off.

Is this a software glitch? Is there any reset that can be done?

I’m so confused. My brain cell is over worked right now! ??

Edited by Saul Goodman on 27/07/2023 at 14:40

2017 BMW 5 series - AdBlue System Failure - Brit_in_Germany

It could be an artefact related to how often the various systems are interrogated but a code read by a technician wouldn't go amiss.

Is this a software glitch? Is there any reset that can be done? I’m so confused. My brain cell is over worked right now! ??

As mentioned, a good independent could do a scan of codes and see if there's anything serious.