Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - Dave N

It's time to change the cambelt and water pump, so obviously some/most of the antifreeze will also go. Currently it has factory yellow/straw coloured stuff. I figured it would be easier to get new from the dealer, as I can't find the specification easily.

The dealer said the new stuff is red, and it replaces the yellow, but should be flushed. He didn't know the spec, and it wasn't on the bottle. I'm trying to make life easy for myself and just put back in the same as original.

It seems slightly older citroens used G12 (which is a VW spec) and this is available in various colours, including yellow, but only from Valeo. As lots of the stuff on the car is made by Valeo, it seems likely they used this from the factory.

Does anyone know the spec for the antifreeze required? The manual says use the correct spec, but doesn't say what that spec is.

Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - elekie&a/c doctor
Antifreeze is nothing special on these . Comma G 30 fits the spec .
Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - paul 1963
Antifreeze is nothing special on these . Comma G 30 fits the spec .

I agree with the Doc, recently had the pump and belt changed on my ( company) Berlingo, coolant was simply drained and refilled with comma red.

Just for info the water pump developed a slight weep within a few hundred miles of being due for a change so its well worth doing on time, oh and while your under there and getting dirty whip out the filter screen in the turbo oil line, mine was filthy despite getting fresh oil every 10k.

Edited by paul 1963 on 19/06/2023 at 20:49

Thanks for the info. Did you remove the filter screen completely, and run without? I know this is what other manufacturers (VAG) have done on engines as a precaution.
Thanks for the info. Did you remove the filter screen completely, and run without? I know this is what other manufacturers (VAG) have done on engines as a precaution.

No it was just cleaned.

I always do the water pump, as often these seem to have a shorter service life than the belts. Interestingly, here in Sweden the interval is 175k km’s, or just 5 years, whereas many countries its 10 years. They claim its because its colder!

I’m doing it at 6 years because I couldnt be bothered last year. Its only done 43k kms anyway.

Update: I changed the belt, pully, tensioner, multibelt, and water pump. After only 6 years and 45K kms everything looked perfect. Writing still legible on the belt, everything spun nicely. A waste of time changing really. Anyway, I bought some purpleish G13 antifreeze for VAG cars, as it was already premixed, and readily available in the future should it be needed.

Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - Andrew-T

I am assuming that this engine will be pretty similar to the 1.6 HDi in my Pug 207, although my car has no DPF. It came (almost new) with blue antifreeze which was said not to need changing. Most of the original stuff is still there after 15 years and is just the same colour, as is the reservoir (no staining). The cambelt was changed after 10 years as advised, and some antifreeze was lost and topped up with more blue.

So it seems that the antifreeze may not need changing, as colour change has always been an indication of breakdown. I haven't tested to see whether it still does what it should ... :-)

Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - elekie&a/c doctor
New cambelt at 45k kms ? Anyone would think we’re driving around in 70s cortinas.
Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - edlithgow
New cambelt at 45k kms ? Anyone would think we’re driving around in 70s cortinas.

Chance would be a fine thing.

Guv.

Ha, yeah. The interval is 5 years here for these. 10 years everywhere else it seems. There’s all the scare stories about rubber falling apart after 10 minutes, but its all BS in reality, just like the brake fluid at 2 years, diesel filter at 4 etc. But its done now, and I don’t suppose I will bother doing it again with my low mileage. I’ll run this van until it dies from turbo or adblue failure, then just hire a van for the few times I need one. I bought a Jimny LCV as my forever car, and have my old 80 series to tinker with. Both are simple and easy to work on.
Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - John F
New cambelt at 45k kms ? Anyone would think we’re driving around in 70s cortinas........
.....yeah. The interval is 5 years here for these. 10 years everywhere else it seems. There’s all the scare stories about rubber falling apart after 10 minutes, but its all BS in reality,

Quite so. Garages like to make work. Our rusty old Mk1 Focus 1.6 zetec went to the scrapyard at 21yrs and over 160,000 miles with its original cambelt, water pump, poly-v belt, coolant, air and pollen filters, exhaust and I suspect most of its brake fluid. If it works, don't mend it! (Although I seem to remember that some French car manufacturers had a reputation for equipping their engines with cambelts made from cheese rind and foolishly designing them to perform extra work above and beyond rotating a well oiled camshaft or two).

<< If it works, don't mend it! >>

A useful mantra, which I am not ashamed to admit I tend to favour. However one should not forget the corollary 'If it stops working suddenly, can't mend it' may also apply.

The fundamental question becomes 'How lucky do you feel?' .

Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - Gibbo_Wirral

I am assuming that this engine will be pretty similar to the 1.6 HDi in my Pug 207, although my car has no DPF. It came (almost new) with blue antifreeze which was said not to need changing. Most of the original stuff is still there after 15 years and is just the same colour, as is the reservoir (no staining). The cambelt was changed after 10 years as advised, and some antifreeze was lost and topped up with more blue.

"Not to need changing" also means "the life of the car", which Peugeot class as 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Coolant breaks down over time and will end up rusting the radiator and filling the system with sludge.

"Not to need changing" also means "the life of the car", which Peugeot class as 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Coolant breaks down over time and will end up rusting the radiator and filling the system with sludge.

Yes. it does, like almost everything else which gets intermittently hot and is expected to do useful work. But any development of corrosion or sludge formation is usually visible in the coolant reservoir - assuming owners look there occasionally ...

Nonsense, with knobs on. See my above post re our old Focus.

Please explain the nature of the 'breakdown' in full chemical detail. Corrosion (and glycol breakdown) requires oxygen. In a sealed cooling system with no access to air or sunlight and the absence of cast iron in the cooling circuit (most engines are now aluminium alloy), how exactly does an alloy radiator 'rust'? What is the chemical composition of this alleged 'sludge' and where does it come from?

The coolant in my 43yr old cast iron block TR7 has not been changed for decades. (I did do it once in its early years when I foolishly thought the 'expert' motoring advisors might know more physics and chemistry than I did). The suspended oxygen in the coolant has probably long been used up by presumably minimal internal corrosion. I doubt if there is enough left to keep a minnow alive. I am certainly not going to introduce a fresh supply by renewing it. The cooling system remains continent, the radiator is demonstrably effective as it doesn't overheat even on the hottest summer days with the original viscous coupling fan and the cylinder head has never been off. It might no longer protect quite as low as -18C but that's not a concern in England.

<< The suspended oxygen in the coolant has probably long been used up by presumably minimal internal corrosion. >>

'Suspended oxygen' - what is that, John ? It's normally just dissolved. Anyway that is easily removed by boiling for a minute or so. Deionised water may be equally important, especially in hard-water areas.

And we are talking about a diesel engine here - those usually have cast-iron blocks.

Edited by Andrew-T on 21/07/2023 at 12:01

Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - Gibbo_Wirral

I'm not going to take the opinion of any "armchair expert" who drives a car for allegedly 21 years and allegedly160,000 miles without changing the brake fluid or even air filters.

Plenty of factual evidence out there of fluid breakdown over time and how clogged up filters get.

I'm not going to take the opinion of any "armchair expert" who drives a car for allegedly 21 years and allegedly160,000 miles.......

I see X84NJB is still on the gov check MoT website if you care to look.

Plenty of factual evidence out there of fluid breakdown over time...........

Fluid breakdown (the 'fluid' in question is ethylene glycol) can only occur either by oxygenation or thermal degradation. Neither applies to car coolant because there is no available oxygen beyond what is dissolved in the diluent (water) and the temperature never gets high enough. (It should never exceed 95C if the cooling fan and thermostat are working properly.) I did once check its continuing efficacy by putting a sample in the deep freeze.

........and how clogged up filters get.

The UK is not a dusty country. Mine never appeared to be 'clogged'. They are easily cleaned with a stiff brush. I have sometimes washed them, like the filter on our Dyson.

Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - madf

I changed our Jazz anti freeze at 10 years. Although the original looked as new, it was interesting to see the silt sitting above the drain plug when it was released: lowest point of cooling circuit at radiator bottom..

Silt does build up over the odd decade

Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - Manatee

The UK is not a dusty country. Mine never appeared to be 'clogged'. They are easily cleaned with a stiff brush. I have sometimes washed them, like the filter on our Dyson.

I'm not saying you're wrong, it's years since I have looked at a car airfilter, but the filters in our house ventilation system (MVHR) have been an eye-opener.

I change them every 3 months because they are cheap, but it's surprising how much greasy black material accrues on the filter that sieves the incoming air. The installer says it's mainly diesel exhaust solids. The intake is about 20 metres from a village road that sees maybe 2,000 vehicles a day, and it's on the rear facing roof 6 metres up.

The first one I left in for 6 months and that was quite black. Not quite the same application, and it is running 24/7, even so...and it doesn't brush off either.

Interesting bit of fag packet maths - my MVHR moves about 60 litres of air per second, which seems to be about double the volume of a 1.6 litre engine running at 2500 rpm. On that basis air filter could be like my MVHR one after 6 months, if the car ran 24 hours a day. If it runs on average about an hour a day, then the 6 months becomes 12 years. Double the amount of particulate matter because it is actually on the road rather than 20 metres away and you get 6 years. The recommended change frequency for my MX-5 air filter is every 6 years or 75,000m - coincidence?

Edited by Manatee on 21/07/2023 at 16:26

<< The first one I left in for 6 months and that was quite black. Not quite the same application, and it is running 24/7, even so...and it doesn't brush off either. >>

You only need to clean the inside of your car's rear screen every 6 months and have a look at the cloth. It won't be colourless. Makes you think about what you are breathing too.

But if John-F doesn't drive the car often I suppose the filter's throughput may be limited ....

John F, if you can be bothered read this..

www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/841/coolant-fund...s.

Explains it all nicely...

As for all the nonsense you keep banging on about regarding cleaning air and pollen filters with soft brushes all your ever doing is removing the dirt on the surface of the element, there is no practical way of removing the material deep within the pleats or indeed refreshing the activated carbon component that most modern pollen filters contain.

Edited by paul 1963 on 21/07/2023 at 20:42

John F, if you can be bothered read this..

www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/841/coolant-fund...s.

I did, and didn't learn anything new. (It was written over 17yrs ago). I was surprised by his opinion that 'optimum.....is 50% coolant and 50% water' , possibly because parts of the USA get very cold but more likely because the author appears to work for an American coolant manufacturer (Chevron) and thus has a vested interest in producing arguments for selling as much as possible. It's usually 30% for down to -18C in our temperate country. But I was not at all surprised he wrote that these days 'used coolant can still pass tests designed for fresh coolant' because as I mentioned, degradation no longer takes place as it once did because modern engines are kept relatively cool and there is no exposure to air.

As for all the nonsense you keep banging on about regarding cleaning air and pollen filters with soft brushes......

I wrote 'stiff', not 'soft'. And frankly, as someone who enjoys walking, cycling, gardening and driving a convertible, I think pollen filters are a bit gimmicky unless you are a 20,000 mile p.a. taxi driver with a severe hay fever problem.

Berlingo 2017 1.6 Hdi 75hp - Antifreeze - bathtub tom

Interesting bit of fag packet maths - my MVHR moves about 60 litres of air per second, which seems to be about double the volume of a 1.6 litre engine running at 2500 rpm. On that basis air filter could be like my MVHR one after 6 months, if the car ran 24 hours a day. If it runs on average about an hour a day, then the 6 months becomes 12 years. Double the amount of particulate matter because it is actually on the road rather than 20 metres away and you get 6 years. The recommended change frequency for my MX-5 air filter is every 6 years or 75,000m - coincidence?

I think you'll need to compare the surface area of each filter for a truly accurate comparism, but please don't, my head's starting to hurt!

Not all corrosion requires oxygen. Stainless steel, for example, is subject to crevice corrosion specifically in the abscence of oxygen. Big deal for sailboat rigging and keel bolt failure.

Then again, its doubtful that a car cooling system is sealed against oxygen, since coolant moves to and from the expansion tank, probably taking some oxygen with it, and hoses probably have some permeability .

Less theoretically, my last coolant looked like hot chocolate when I changed it, This might be partly due to me using a local brand of coolant, but the current Shell stuff also showed signs of rust when drained.

I also have operational confirmation of the need to change brake fluid, in the shape of a scary brake failure almost certainly due to boiling brake fluid, and much Hot Chocolate in the system when I stripped it.

I've had occaision to change the brake fluid on two other old cars in Taiwan and they were both in a very sorry state.

Re Hot Chocolate, I dont believe in miracles.

Not all corrosion requires oxygen. Stainless steel, for example, is subject to crevice corrosion specifically in the absence of oxygen. Big deal for sailboat rigging and keel bolt failure.

Thanks for this, ed - I never knew about 'crevice corrosion' and its requirement for a 'stagnant electrolyte'. But it can't be much of an automotive problem otherwise I'd have had problems long ago. The enduring continence of my 43yr old TR7 (apart from a leaky water pump 20yrs ago) continues to amaze me.

Not all corrosion requires oxygen. Stainless steel, for example, is subject to crevice corrosion specifically in the absence of oxygen. Big deal for sailboat rigging and keel bolt failure.

Thanks for this, ed - I never knew about 'crevice corrosion' and its requirement for a 'stagnant electrolyte'. But it can't be much of an automotive problem otherwise I'd have had problems long ago. The enduring continence of my 43yr old TR7 (apart from a leaky water pump 20yrs ago) continues to amaze me.

Well, DeLaurean;s and the Tesla Fantasy Folded pickup truck aside, there admittedly isn't much stainless steel in cars, but as someone pointed out, engines have a lot of aluminium these days.

Thats a similarly "passivated" metal, relying for its corrosion resistance on an impermeable oxide layer, and it can corrode badly, in a similar way, in the absence of oxygen.

I think you might be over-generalising a bit from observations on an old they-dont-make-them-like-that-any-more car.

I'm drawing conclusions from observation of an old car too, but with an important difference.

While your lack of observed corrosion doesn't prove it cant happen, my observed corrosion does prove that it can.

Well, DeLaurean;s and the Tesla Fantasy Folded pickup truck aside, there admittedly isn't much stainless steel in cars, but as someone pointed out, engines have a lot of aluminium these days.

There is stainless steel in head gasket fire rings though. Heres Uncle Tony alleging that this gets attacked by old acidic coolant in composite gaskets. (Skip the first 5 minutes or so)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSn2YGY4rCY

I dunno if this is true, and if it is I dunno why MLS gaskets were the solution, but it does seem a relevant theory.

He also reckons you can re-use the composite type of HG, though that isn’t “received opinion”, and the increase in torque I note in the "torqueing lubricated head bolts with a dry spec " thread doesnt seem to encourage this.

I have re used one on an 1800 BMC B series with no issues, and you have to re-use at least once to use the torque translation technique.

Maybe the BMC gasket was a steel shim type (can't remember, though it seems unlikely) which seem to be generally regarded as re-usable. Not much chance of getting one of them for the Skywing though.Seem to only be available for American muscle cars.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/08/2023 at 03:04

There is stainless steel in head gasket fire rings though. Heres Uncle Tony alleging that this gets attacked by old acidic coolant in composite gaskets. (Skip the first 5 minutes or so)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wSn2YGY4rCY

I dunno if this is true, and if it is I dunno why MLS gaskets were the solution, but it does seem a relevant theory.

In theory, possibly. (Jeez, Uncle T doesn't half drone on......). I was inspired to dig out some old urine testing strips and dipped my TR7 decades old coolant. Pleased to note healthy looking clear light blue and pH between 7 and 8. Original 43yr old 73,000 mile head gasket still intact. No idea whether or not it has steel fire rings. In practice, supports my scientific argument expounded elsewhere never to change coolant.

<< In practice, supports my scientific argument expounded elsewhere never to change coolant. >>

I would only add the rider : ... provided its colour hasn't changed. I've seen examples of brown windsor soup masquerading as coolant, which gives a fair picture of what the rest of the circuit might be like.

<< In practice, supports my scientific argument expounded elsewhere never to change coolant. >>

I would only add the rider : ... provided its colour hasn't changed. I've seen examples of brown windsor soup masquerading as coolant.....

So have I. It's almost certainly a sign of CHG failure linking oil and coolant passages. Nothing to do with the integrity of the coolant which I agree should look as clear and colourful as when new.....as mine does in both my cars; their average age being >30yrs.

Dont think mine was.

Pretty sure it was rust, because it looked like rust, and it smelled like rust, and it settled out like rust.

i.e. not like oil.

There were also none of the conventional symptoms of HG failure.

Dont think mine was.

Pretty sure it was rust, because it looked like rust, and it smelled like rust, and it settled out like rust.

i.e. not like oil.

Reminds me of coolant in pre 1970 cast iron engines. If rust it looked more like Heinz tomato soup than brown Windsor soup.