Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - marksal

Can any one help I am looking for a OBD2 reader that I can:

1) use with my mobile phone. (But not essential)

2) use on any car

3) Is under £100 or near

4) read the codes and what they mean ( a solution would be good but not essential)

The idea is when looking at buying cars, i can quicklly see any problems and a solution.

Any help would be very useful.

Confused Mark

Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - bathtub tom
4) read the codes and what they mean ( a solution would be good but not essential)

I find google to be more than adequate

The idea is when looking at buying cars, i can quicklly see any problems and a solution

I think you'll find many sellers won't let you do that, as they don't know what you could be introducing as an apparent fault.

Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - elekie&a/c doctor
Reading codes is only the start of the process. Understanding what they mean is the next level of diagnostic.
Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - Gibbo_Wirral

No generic "scan any car" reader can pick up all faults on all cars.

Your best bet is to get a clone of what the dealers use.

And, as elekie&a/c doctor says above, its all about interpreting the codes and reading live data.

Many people (and some garages) just read the code and throw the corresponding part at the problem.

Like the garage who told a customer of mine that the fault was with the O2 sensor. It kept failing after a couple of months.

After the third sensor (at the customer's expense) he came to me and I found the problem - a small oil leak from a gasket which was dripping onto the cable which fed the O2 sensor. After a few weeks the O2 sensor connector would be filled with oil and no longer provide a good electrical contact.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 10/05/2023 at 13:16

Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - marksal

I understand all systems have there limits.

I just need to find the best for the bucks?

Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - elekie&a/c doctor
Elm 327 is probably your best bet for not a lot of money. Remember it only does Diesel engines that are obd compliant from around 2006 . Plenty on free bay .
Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - Brit_in_Germany

What would be the best app nowadays to go with the elm 327? Torque pro used to get good reviews.

Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - mickyh7

No-one and I mean No-one, would be plugging anything, into any car, I was selling.

Oh sorry Mate, I appear to have 'Bricked' your ECU up.

Goodbye!

Incidentally,

I use Carista on my Audi, unfortunately it doesn't do all cars. I pay about £40 a year.

It's great for what I want, service resets, faults, customisations etc.

Best OBD2 reader - using mobile, I am confused - Railroad.

No-one and I mean No-one, would be plugging anything, into any car, I was selling.

Oh sorry Mate, I appear to have 'Bricked' your ECU up.

Goodbye!

It's not possible to do that. A generic EOBD scantool is read only. They can't write anything to any controller. You need dealer level diagnostic equipment for that.

An OBD II scantool, or EOBD as it's known in Europe is solely for reading engine emission related DTCs, live data, freeze frame and readiness monitors. There are 5 or 6 common protocols that cover the vast majority of cars and LCVs, and any EOBD scantool should support all of them. They are all 'read only' devices and unless anyone were to tamper with the wiring it's not possible to do any damage to the engine controller by connecting it.

EOBD came into legislation on 1st January 2001 for petrol engines, and 1st January 2004 for diesels, although many cars were compliant prior to that. OBD II came into force in the USA and Canada in 1996. All compliant vehicles must have a 16 pin connector accessible from the driver's seat without the need of any special tools. All use standard generic fault codes, and access to engine emission data. Any EOBD scantool will do this, regardless of how much it costs to buy. Vehicle manufacturers must by law enable access to certain information relating to emission data, but any further information is entirely voluntary. If your EOBD scantool won't read something on one car but will on another it'll simply be because one manufacturer doesn't allow access whilst the other does.

EOBD scantools will not access Engine specific data, Airbag, Instruments, Central Convenience, HVAC, Parking Brake or any other modules, nor will they reset the service indictors. So although they are useful they're very limited.

Carista resets my service warning, which can't be done by the MMI.

It also customises 100's of things, which is why I pay a yearly fee instead of a one off £10 hardware reader? (They only reset oil changes, which the MMI does anyway).

I have read of a person bricking their ECU and having to contact Carista to sort it out. Admittedly, I don't know how true that is.

I have been servicing my A7 for 4 years now and resetting the Service Warning.

How can you tell me that's not possible?

caristaapp.com/en/supported-cars/audi/a7/c7

Check it out.

Edited by mickyh7 on 13/05/2023 at 12:11

It also customises 100's of things, which is why I pay a yearly fee instead of a one off £10 hardware reader? (They only reset oil changes, which the MMI does anyway).

I have read of a person bricking their ECU and having to contact Carista to sort it out. Admittedly, I don't know how true that is.

Check it out.

The OP asked about an EOBD scantool. I don't know of any that aren't read only. Your scantool must be more specific with the ability to make adaptions and carry out recoding. If you're going to recode a module it's a very good idea to save a log first before you do anything. That way you can always recode again back to what it was. If you can't save a log then write down all the controller information before you make any changes.

Check it out.

The OP asked about an EOBD scantool. I don't know of any that aren't read only. Your scantool must be more specific with the ability to make adaptions and carry out recoding. If you're going to recode a module it's a very good idea to save a log first before you do anything. That way you can always recode again back to what it was. If you can't save a log then write down all the controller information before you make any changes.

There are lots of EOBD Scantools out now that work via mobile phone Bluetooth.

The good ones are subscription.

These are not new technology. They all do more than read codes.

Click on my link, you will be Astonished or at least Educated?

Where have you been? Check out Playstore!

Check it out.

There are lots of EOBD Scantools out now that work via mobile phone Bluetooth.

The good ones are subscription.

These are not new technology. They all do more than read codes.

Click on my link, you will be Astonished or at least Educated?

Where have you been? Check out Playstore!

You seem to be failing to understand what EOBD is. As I said earlier, EOBD (known as OBD II in North America) is a standard by which all cars intended for use in most countries are now compliant, and which allows access to engine emission data only. Any scantool capable of doing more than that is not simply meeting the minimum requirement. I'm not in any doubt how good your scantool is but it's not merely EOBD. I use VCDS myself, but as I said, you cannot do any harm using the read only functions. Apart from deliberately sending a live feed up the data link wire which would have to be done deliberately, the only way you could do any harm is by writing to the controller which generic EOBD scantools cannot do. Maybe the OP is looking for a more specific scantool but £100 isn't going to buy much. Generic EOBD dongles that Bluetooth to a mobile phone are quite cheap, starting at not much more than a tenner.

The OP originally asked which EOBD would work with a Mobile Phone.

Carista is an EOBD2 Scanner.

Mine cost £25 for the dongle, one month free software trail, then approx. £40 a year thereafter.

What part can't you grasp?

Edited by mickyh7 on 13/05/2023 at 20:02

The OP originally asked which EOBD would work with a Mobile Phone.

Carista is an EOBD2 Scanner.

Mine cost £25 for the dongle, one month free software trail, then approx. £40 a year thereafter.

What part can't you grasp?

You seem to be the one not grasping it. The OP said he wanted an EOBD scantool that he could use with his phone. He also said he didn't want to spend more than £100. You can get those from little more than £10 if EOBD capability is all you want. Your scantool is capable of much more than EOBD and therefore well in excess of the OPs requirements.