Steels and alloys - weight - Andrew-T

Back in the day when most entry-level cars had steel wheels, and alloys were on sportier models, some people replaced steels with alloys for appearance and because they rusted. How do the weights compare - alloys make up in bulk what they lack in strength, but as the alloy is less dense the weight is probably about the same. Anyone have figures ?

Steels and alloys - weight - Adampr

Alloys are, in my experience, a lot lighter.

Steels and alloys - weight - Bolt

Back in the day when most entry-level cars had steel wheels, and alloys were on sportier models, some people replaced steels with alloys for appearance and because they rusted. How do the weights compare - alloys make up in bulk what they lack in strength, but as the alloy is less dense the weight is probably about the same. Anyone have figures ?

I would have said around 30% lighter depending on size so there is a good weight saving (fuel as well) as they are used on most cars now...

Steels and alloys - weight - gordonbennet
Hardly worth the weight saving, its all about fashion and showroom appeal.

On the subject of alloys on cars, the fad for diamond cut and laquered facings on alloy wheels of what are quite ordinary cars is now getting out of hand, a Qashqai at work is some 4 years old, i parked our now 15 year old Forester beside it.
Forester are standard painted original alloys which still look new helped by sensible sized tyres so avoiding kerb damage, the diamond faced alloys on the Nissan look like they've seen 15 years use in a salt mine fit only for the skip, seen lots of such wheels in terrible condition....another costly reason for not keeping modern cars too long as refurbing these things properly you are talking £100 or more a wheel, without refurb the car looks a mess.

Give me a steel wheel or standard well painted alloy every time.

Steels and alloys - weight - bathtub tom
Give me a steel wheel or standard well painted alloy every time.

A steely with cheap, plastic wheel trims doesn't take any looking after.

Steels and alloys - weight - Adampr

I was under the impression that the idea was to have less 'unsprung weight", which makes the ride better.

However, going back to the more important subject of hating modern wheels, a lot now have plastic 'aero' inserts to reduce drag (or something). These sit flush, or slightly proud, of the tyre sidewall so you also get mangled plastic should you touch a kerb. In some (I know the Skoda Karoq Sportline) they can be easily removed. In others (like my old Corsa), the are screwed in from behind and the wheel is unfinished beneath them.

Steels and alloys - weight - edlithgow

Driving a bit too fast on a mountain road, I clipped the offside rock wall. That side of the car went a few (2-3 probably) feet up in the air.

Stopped expecting to change the wheel, maybe suspension damage.

Bit of a dent in the rim, which held air until hammered out at the next tyre change.

Don't think I want any alloys

Steels and alloys - weight - skidpan

Last car I had with summer and winter tyre/wheels in the same size (205/55 16) was the Leon. The summers were on the factory fit alloys, the winters on genuine VAG steels.

The winters on steel were the lighter combination and you did not need scales to spot the difference.

The 14" Revolution race rims I run on the Caterham weigh nothing in comparison to modern alloys of any size.

The winters on steel were the lighter combination and you did not need scales to spot the difference.

I haven't actually weighed any, but that is the impression I get with Peugeot wheels. My latest Pug is a 1991 205 GR with steels, previous 205s had alloys. Much bulkier to hump about. Things will vary a lot between different makes, but I am not sold on the idea that alloys became the fashion just to reduce unsprung mass. They look smarter than steels and they don't rust at points of high curvature (only on the bead, causing slow pressure loss). Later problems with alloys arose from designers getting hooked on ludicrously complicated patterns which were easily damaged and expensive to repair. Don't mention potholes !

Edited by Andrew-T on 01/05/2023 at 09:54

Steels and alloys - weight - galileo

I haven't actually weighed any, but that is the impression I get with Peugeot wheels. My latest Pug is a 1991 205 GR with steels, previous 205s had alloys. Much bulkier to hump about. Things will vary a lot between different makes, but I am not sold on the idea that alloys became the fashion just to reduce unsprung mass. They look smarter than steels and they don't rust at points of high curvature (only on the bead, causing slow pressure loss). Later problems with alloys arose from designers getting hooked on ludicrously complicated patterns which were easily damaged and expensive to repair. Don't mention potholes !

I once bought a used Peugeot 309 which felt as if the rear drums were slightly oval: took them off an had them skimmed, put back on felt perfect.

But when I put the alloy wheels on the ovality was back, the wheels were warped and bent the drums when tightened up.

After a year or so I traded it for a newer one, that had no problems at all.

<< I once bought a used Peugeot 309 which felt as if the rear drums were slightly oval: took them off and had them skimmed, put back on felt perfect. But when I put the alloy wheels on the ovality was back, the wheels were warped and bent the drums when tightened up.>>

Interesting, I would have expected steel wheels to bend or warp more easily than a cast alloy, which would fracture more easily ?

Speaking of skimming, one of my early 205s with only about 20K on the clock suffered from pulsating brakes, which I cured by having the discs skimmed. It wasn't long before the pulsation gradually returned, so I assumed the cast-iron discs were anisotropic.

Steels and alloys - weight - galileo

<< I once bought a used Peugeot 309 which felt as if the rear drums were slightly oval: took them off and had them skimmed, put back on felt perfect. But when I put the alloy wheels on the ovality was back, the wheels were warped and bent the drums when tightened up.>>

Interesting, I would have expected steel wheels to bend or warp more easily than a cast alloy, which would fracture more easily ?

Speaking of skimming, one of my early 205s with only about 20K on the clock suffered from pulsating brakes, which I cured by having the discs skimmed. It wasn't long before the pulsation gradually returned, so I assumed the cast-iron discs were anisotropic.

I should have said I checked the discs and as they were fine turned my attention to rear drums.

Steels and alloys - weight - John F

So true. I miss the plain smooth silver wheel covers of my sleek old Audi 100. Just a quick rinse and wipe. The modern sculptured artworks are a designer's dream but a pain to clean.

So true. I miss the plain smooth silver wheel covers of my sleek old Audi 100. Just a quick rinse and wipe. The modern sculptured artworks are a designer's dream but a pain to clean.

A steely WITHOUT cheap, plastic wheel trims takes even less looking after.

Last couple of cars, realising that I couldn'y think of any utility in them (tiny aerodynamic edge?) I chucked them away.

Havn't missed them at all.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/05/2023 at 05:01

The modern sculptured artworks are a designer's dream but a pain to clean.

I'm not clear if you are talking here about plastic wheel covers or alloys.

If the latter, I dunno that I'd agree with the "designers dream" thing.

As well as looking ugly/stupid, the "aggressive" angular transformers stylee cues transferred from the average on-trend SUV to its wheels seem likely to involve stress concentrators which the average fragile alloy wheel can ill-afford.