VW 2.0 TDI - Intermittent P0016 Fault Code - Roy Brown

Hi,

On my 2011 golf 2.0 TDi I purchased recently I am getting an intermittent issue with it starting, particularly after it has been drove for a while. It will start 9 times out of 10 straight away, but sometimes it will take a few attempts as it will die out with the coil light flashing saying emissions fault on the MFD.

I have plugged it in via VCDS and it is showing Bank 1: CMP Sensor(G40)/ Engine Speed Sensor (G28)

P0016 - 000 - Incorrect Correlation - Intermittent

The timing belt has been been changed in the last 2 years. Is it more likely to be one of the sensors for the crank or cam rather than the timing being off? Considering it does seem to be intermittent, and the car is driving really smooth with plenty of power etc.

Any advice welcome. Thanks

VW 2.0 TDI - Intermittent P0016 Fault Code - Big John

If bought recently and from a trader - take it back for them to fix.

VW 2.0 TDI - Intermittent P0016 Fault Code - elekie&a/c doctor

Do you have the engine type\code ? usually 3 or 4 letters , found on the cambelt cover or in the boot on a white label.

It was bought privately and the issue wasn’t apparent at that time of purchase.

I believe e the engine code is CBBB but I’ll have to double check when home
I would get your Vcds plugged in to check for engine speed signal live data when the fault occurs.
Ok i will have a look. Does anyone know where the crank and cam sensor are located on this engine ?
Cam sensor is behind one of the camshaft pulleys , belt end . Crank sensor is flywheel end , at the front . Access is tricky, usually have to remove the oil filter.
VW 2.0 TDI - Intermittent P0016 Fault Code - Railroad.

This is why it's essential when replacing the cambelt that it's fitted correctly using the right locking tools, and the belt tension is correct. On any diesel engine where the compression ratio is around 18 or 20:1 even the smallest adjustment to the timing could make a big difference. So many people fit cambelts by paint marking the old one. This is NOT the correct way to do it. I would start by replacing the cambelt again, and get someone who knows the right way to do it.