1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - edlithgow

Issues identified so far

Some apparent conflict in the (CB20) engine manual on how the valve timing is dealt with (not an issue with an OHV engine)

P. 3-47
"During the cylinder head mounting operation, none of the pistons should come at the TDC position, in order that the pistons may not interfere with the valves."
P.3-65
"Before the cylinder head is mounted on the engine block, make sure that the camshaft is set at the TDC at the end of the compression stroke of the No.1 cylinder "

I suppose that means you have to deliberately put the valve timing`(i.e. its relation to piston position) out and then (hopefully) restore it when its all buttoned up.

This sadly seems inconsistent with guru Old Skool Funk’s valve timing retention technique, which otherwise I rather like.

HOW TO TAKE OFF A CYLINDER HEAD W/OUT TAKING OFF THE TIMING BELT BEST TIME & MONEY SAVER TIP EVER

However P3-54 has, under timing belt removal "Set the No.1 piston at the TDC at the end of the compression stroke. Note, After the timing belt has been removed from the engine, be sure not to turn the crankshaft"

Uh? Does not seem compatible with the first quote

The other sort-of-issue is that the torque specs are “dry”. HATE that, and normally (a) never install anything dry, torqued or not, and (b) seldom use a torque wrench anyway.

But with head bolts I might have to do as I’m told, though I’m tempted to oil them and cut the torque by 30%

At least it predates those horrible stretchy head bolts that you can’t re-use.

I think

Edited by edlithgow on 03/04/2023 at 05:05

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - paul 1963

I would use the second method Ed, no1 at tdc etc..presume you have a torque wrench? And a new head gasket, you really need to follow the manual and refit the bolts dry and torque those bolts to the correct amount and in the right order mate.

Not sure how much longer the old girl will last but it may be worth changing the belt while your in there.......

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - bathtub tom

Not sure how much longer the old girl will last but it may be worth changing the belt while your in there.......

Belt? Maybe chain, but with the age of the stuff he drives, I suspect it may be side valve.

;>)

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - Adampr

No idea if it helps, but I found an engine manual for the CB23 that seems fairly straightforward:

www.workshopservicemanual.com/101-Charade-Engine-S...p

Think I've got that one, thanks, though it says its for the G100. That one says G11 but I think its the same manual,

Have downloaded it and will check later

Skywing is CB22. Dunno what all the differences are but the oil pump, which I;ve had off and open. looked like the CB20 one rather than the CB23

The torque specs for CB20 and CB23 are unfortunately different, but the range overlapps. Since I don't have specs for the CB22 I'll aim for somewhere in the overlapp, though I have no guarantee that is OK for the CB22

Belt? Maybe chain, but with the age of the stuff he drives, I suspect it may be side valve.

;>)

If I was staying in Taiwan for much longer and could get a workshop manual for it (MAY be available in Indonesia) my next vehicle would probably be a Toyota ZACE, which is OHV pushrod and thus a step in that right direction

I would use the second method Ed, no1 at tdc etc..presume you have a torque wrench? And a new head gasket, you really need to follow the manual and refit the bolts dry and torque those bolts to the correct amount and in the right order mate.

I suppose so

But think what a dry (which to me means solvent-washed, acetone if I can get it) steel thread is likely to do to a dry (ditto) aluminium thread at high torque.

On second thought, maybe DONT think about it.

As apparently the people specifying it didn't, or they were rather lacking in mechanical sympathy.

But maybe they didn't really want it to be done more than once?

Head bolts are out, cam sprocket is off (following the Old Skool Funk tethered sprocket technique) but cylinder head is not responding to whacks with a hammer via a rubber mallet.

Not really surprised by this, since the only other engine I've taken the head off did not come quietly.

Might have to improvise some lifting gear, though a bit short of safe attachment points,

How about putting the valve gear back on and turning it over with plugs in, so compression pops it?

Not keen on that "solution" since its a bit of work and might warp the head.

Any better ideas?

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - Brit_in_Germany

Bigger hammer?

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - Andrew-T

Are there any dowels besides the main bolts ? (I don't suppose you can check easily :-( ..

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - galileo

Warming the head with blowlamp/hot air gun might just expand it a fraction to unstick the joint. Cushioning the impact of a larger, steel hammer with a piece of wood may also do the trick.

I used the latter on a Ford Zephyr head.

Warming the head with blowlamp/hot air gun might just expand it a fraction to unstick the joint. Cushioning the impact of a larger, steel hammer with a piece of wood may also do the trick.

I used the latter on a Ford Zephyr head.

I was cushioning the impact of a 4 pound club hammer with a rubber hammer, since I find it easier to hold in place than a piece of wood. More finger friendly, though maybe woo0d is more aluminium-casting friendly.

This is a relatively little aluminium casting, though, and there's probably a limit to how much rubber hammering it can take, Wasn't comfortable hitting it any harder.

Seemed to be only one dowel, though I thought 2 was more normal?

I was going to put the head in a bin bag for bicycle transport back to my room, but then I thought that its outside was dirtier than the general environment, so I should just leave it open.

Forgot about the possibility of things like assembly dowels dropping off it, so if there were 2, I might have lost the second one.

Suppose I will find out later. Too dark and mosquited now.

Dunno if it was "a better idea" since it felt pretty marginal, but a BIG crowbar with a chisel end got it loose, and AFAIK didnt break anything.

Not a very pretty sight inside though.

Edited by edlithgow on 11/04/2023 at 01:57

Theres a hard red crackly stuff in the water passages that I take to be some kind of block/head sealant.

Evidently it was working, but doesn't bode very well for getting it to re-seal

Any idea what it might be, in terms of brand?

I would think ts unlikely Taiwan has its own products in this area.

Theres some damage to cylinder #2 wall. Zooming in to a photo, it looks like lots of superimposed little impact marks rather than a scratch.

My best guess would be a broken end of a piston ring dancing around, but of course I don't really know. Might post photos later

Don't think I'm going to try and do anything about that, or indeed much else.

On the B series I re-ground the valves and polished the piston crowns (but I THINK I might have used Scotch Brite, widely recommended and widely condemned). Those (dished) piston tops were flat on removal, being filled in with a grey deposit which at the bottom looked rather like metallic lead, which I suppose it might have been.

These are just a bit sooty and will just get a quick and dirty wipe down.

There was oil and coolant in cylinder 2 but I'm hoping that happened during head removal.

On the B series I re-used the HG and got away with it. I was intending to try that again, but now I've seen it I'll try and get a replacement..

Your 'red stuff' sounds like 'Hermitite' to me, a gasket sealant, not sure it's available now? Had a very distinctive smell as I remember....

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - skidpan

Your 'red stuff' sounds like 'Hermitite' to me, a gasket sealant, not sure it's available now? Had a very distinctive smell as I remember....

Last time I bought some I got it off Amazon.

Hylomar was another product of the day, that was blue.

With modern gaskets and manufacturing techniques sealants are not normally used these days, back a few years when I built crossflows they were essential.

Built 2 Zetecs and not used sealant on either. The earlier silvertop used a composite gasket but the later blacktop used a very thin steel gasket, still amazed that they actually work.

From what I remember about red hermatite is that it didn't set hard (think I've still got a tube in the garage). There was a green hermatite that did set hard.

I suspect the red crystals in the waterways could be a coolant leak sealer.

Coolant leak sealer is what I meant, since it seemed to be mostly in the water jacket, though I might try and get a head gasket sealer anyway.

Not really "crystals", more like the caremalised glaze on a creme brule (Pretentious, Moi?) only reddish,

Not done any more to it after the initial partial clean since I had some proofreading work to do, but I'll likely do some more this evening

Well that sucks.

Chasing the thread from inside the head doesn't fix it.

Spark plug still jams half way in, so I suppose has cut its own at an angle, which isn't corrected coming the other way.

On the bright side it suggests the fancy back tap that I considered ordering from the US wouldn't have worked either..

I suppose I'd better start looking for a helicoil kit (or equivalent) while I have the head off.

Well that sucks.

Chasing the thread from inside the head doesn't fix it.

Spark plug still jams half way in, so I suppose has cut its own at an angle, which isn't corrected coming the other way.

On the bright side it suggests the fancy back tap that I considered ordering from the US wouldn't have worked either..

I suppose I'd better start looking for a helicoil kit (or equivalent) while I have the head off.

This thread reminds me of the Odyssey/ Virgil's Aeneid, a long saga of one man's struggle against a variety of problems. I await the eventual success,

Edited by galileo on 12/04/2023 at 21:28

<< This thread reminds me of the Odyssey/ Virgil's Aeneid, a long saga of one man's struggle against a variety of problems. I await the eventual success, >>

Augean Stables ? Sisyphus pushing boulder uphill (is that right?) :-) A labour of Hercules, anyhow ....

Dunno about that. My understanding is those ole Greeks did tragedy, not farce. Either way the happy ending is more a Hollywood Musical thing.

If in the Greek Chorus, I THINK one is supposed to keep a straight face, but I’ll cut you some slack.

No Show Tunes, though. We are not in San Francisco.

It seems to me that the logical next move, if back-chasing fails, is not a thread insert (yet) but a back-tap. The back-chaser is obstructed by the head and might not be getting deep enough. A tap will hopefully be less obstructed and should be able to re-cut the damaged portion.

It would probably be worth trying to protect the undamaged thread on the inside end of the spark plug hole from getting cut by the tap. Perhaps I could dip the tap in hot candle wax to give temporary protection?

Alternatively, a forming tap seems to be designed to reduce the risk, but I might not be able to find one of them.

Edited by edlithgow on 13/04/2023 at 02:01

It seems to me that the logical next move, if back-chasing fails, is not a thread insert (yet) but a back-tap. The back-chaser is obstructed by the head and might not be getting deep enough. A tap will hopefully be less obstructed and should be able to re-cut the damaged portion.

It would probably be worth trying to protect the undamaged thread on the inside end of the spark plug hole from getting cut by the tap. Perhaps I could dip the tap in hot candle wax to give temporary protection?

Alternatively, a forming tap seems to be designed to reduce the risk, but I might not be able to find one of them.

Ed, the correct tap will not damage or cut into any undamaged threads trust me and even if it may ( but it really really won't providing its 100% the correct size) dipping it in wax would do nothing.

If you can get a taper tap rather than a plug or bottoming tap as you'll find it much easier to get it started ....oh you'll also need a tap wrench, don't be tempted to use a spanner etc and use the correct technique 3/4 turn then back off1/4 turn, this will break off the tiny bits of swarf and make for a much cleaner thread.

Sorry if I'm 'teaching you to suck eggs' .....

Coming from the inside out I shouldn;t really have to get it started, since I'll be running into (as yet) largely undamaged threads.

re "dipping it in wax would do nothiing" my theory is it'll coat it in wax. I'm pretty confident that theory is sound.

Less confident that it'll protect the existing threads, but I can't so far see much downside to it.

However, I am also pretty confident that all this messing about will not solve the problem.

IOW, having exhausively back-chased etc, the plug will probably still follow its own wrong line in.

I've scoured the Internyet and havn't much liked what I found

(I quite liked the suggested get you home bodge for the almost peculiarly American shot spark plug syndrome - slightly oval it in a vice and shove it back in. Harbour Freight sell horrible "repair" kits that are considerably less elegant than that).

My new hair (hare?) brained scheme is gooping up the damaged portion with epoxy, molten lead/solder, or...er...molten aluminium, and then back tapping it.

Just a few details to be worked out/decisions to be made...and maybe a foundry to be built.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/04/2023 at 02:28

So far (2 goes, one in Tainan, other in Kaohsiung) havn't been able to get an M14X1.25 bolt.

Weird, but that;s Taiwan

I tried a couple of BIG Bolt Bizniziz, wall to wall Bolt Boxes, bolts from Brunell to Von Braun, a Bolt Bonanza.

Nope.

I tried a few smaller hole-in-the-wall Bolt Boutiques. A couple of them reacted like US rednecks unwillingly confronting the metric system for the first time, but that was probably just a reaction to my foreigness.

One guy spent quite a while digging out some M14X2.0. No idea why.

I mean, I might not have known a couple of weeks ago what the 1.25 meant (though I might have guessed) but his Business is Bolts.

Bolts are his Business

Bolts, in fact, are his Bread and Butter (with a side-dish/sideline/garnish of Nuts), and Id shown him a spark plug, but he still looked surprised 'when I pointed out the much coa***r thread.

Still, nice of him to bother looking.

This simply cannot be unobtanium, even here, but I got hot and p***ed off and gave up.

I'll try again later.

Or maybe there are some on the car??

Edited by edlithgow on 14/04/2023 at 11:27

Got a tap. Its pretty short, so I didn't get a tap handle since that would just foul the head. I'll probably have to use it with a ratchet but havn't tried yet.

Been trying to find High Temp Epoxy locally, so far without success, unsurprisingly

www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-37901-Temperature-Resistan...3

Using molten aluminium doesn't look practical, since its likely to have poor adhesion and I suppose might distort the head

If I can't get a High Temp Epoxy, mol;ten lead may be the best option.

Using molten aluminium doesn't look practical, since its likely to have poor adhesion and I suppose might distort the head

Sounds like you will be building that foundry after all, Ed ....

Got a tap. Its pretty short, so I didn't get a tap handle since that would just foul the head. I'll probably have to use it with a ratchet but havn't tried yet.

Been trying to find High Temp Epoxy locally, so far without success, unsurprisingly

Ed, if you use lead then lead hardened with Antimony might be better than pure or plumbers' solder. Don't suppose printers' type is readily available, that ought to be hard enough.

Ed, if you use lead then lead hardened with Antimony might be better than pure or plumbers' solder. Don't suppose printers' type is readily available, that ought to be hard enough.

A 12mm wood dowel could serve as a 'core' to leave a thin shell of lead on the threads, you would use undamaged threads to start the tap in the right orientation.

The problem I foresee would be to get the molten lead to run down the annular gap, unless the head was pre-heated it would tend to freeze too soon.

A 12mm wood dowel could serve as a 'core' to leave a thin shell of lead on the threads, you would use undamaged threads to start the tap in the right orientation.

The problem I foresee would be to get the molten lead to run down the annular gap, unless the head was pre-heated it would tend to freeze too soon.

That was pretty much the plan, though I thought I might use a stick of chalk (spot the ex-teecha) as the mould core spigot, since I should be able to break it up in situ (assuming the heat doesn't make it explode, of course)

Current favorite is high temp epoxy though.

I might tamp aluminium foil down with the epoxy, especially if I get unreinforced resin or just use it straight, more likely with the "steel reinforced" stuff, which is supposed to be tappable.

I thought wheel weights, which I think are lead-antimony.

Its looking like I should be able to get a high temperature epoxy via e-commerce though,

https://shopee.tw/product/5304962/8042373958?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIquOqurWw_gIVVFpgCh3-NwS2EAYYBiABEgLjdvD_BwE

(All in Chi but from other sites, and JB welds site itself, that stuff should be OK

JB Weld - High Temperature Epoxy - hemingwaykits.com

JB Weld - High Temperature Epoxy - hemingwaykits.com

Unique projects for the small workshop owner. Please browse our Toolroom and Engine Bay for our latest project k...

"This product is the answer to a many a prayer! It is a 2-part epoxy adhesive suitable for use on all of the materials specified in our engines. What sets it apart from any-old epoxy adhesive is its unique specification. It can withstand temperatures up to 500ºF. Once set, it is resistant to water, petrol, oil and virtually any chemical including acids. It can be used as an adhesive, laminate, plug, filler, sealant, or electrical insulator. After 15-24 hours of curing at room temperature, it can be drilled, ground, tapped, machined, filed, sanded, and painted. It dries to a dark grey (steel like) colour"

11.35 quid (429 TWD) so if it’s the same stuff, and not fake, Shoppee price is OK;

260C should be enough

I also seem to have found (via a websearch) a local supplier of Loctite stuff right here in Tainan City (Knock me dahn wiv a fevva!). Loctite do better technical info on products, and there is a 200C epoxy, but none of the metal repair pastes seem to be high temperature.

SO I'll be Waiting For The Marines, in the shape of all-American JB Weld, once I can persuade a Chinese reader to order it for me.

Edited by edlithgow on 18/04/2023 at 16:46

Duplicate post

Edited by galileo on 16/04/2023 at 12:45

Not really "crystals", more like the caremalised glaze on a creme brule (Pretentious, Moi?) only reddish,

Could be just anti-freeze. I've experienced it forming a jelly like substance in thermo-syphon systems, Austin 7 and suchlike. In one case it blocked water flow causing the engine to overheat.

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - Metropolis.
Ed, I hope one day youll upload a picture of your Skywing, anyway I am hoping it can be fixed.

Does it have the 2 speed auto called Daimatic?

Sorry for no apostrophes, they go funny if typing from a phone..
Ed, I hope one day youll upload a picture of your Skywing, anyway I am hoping it can be fixed. Does it have the 2 speed auto called Daimatic? Sorry for no apostrophes, they go funny if typing from a phone..

Diaimatic no. There was one of those on campus a few years ago, I think student run, though it didn't seem to last very long.

Since with a 4-speed manual box its not exactly overburdened with power (though I find it adequate) yoof may have rebelled at the sluggishness and uncoolth,

I suppose OTOH a fond parent might have thought it reduced the chances of them killing themselves

And of course Taiwanese don't generally drive manuals and may not be able to.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/04/2023 at 02:30

forumosauploads-12829.kxcdn.com/original/3X/1/c/1c...g

Cylinders ahowing piston tops. Visible “scar” on the middle cylinder wall,

forumosauploads-12829.kxcdn.com/optimized/3X/2/3/2...g

Close up of middle cylinder. Zooming in, “scar” looks like lots of little impact craters. My guess is a broken bit of a poston ring rattling around.

Suppose in the future (if there is a future) I might have to take that piston out, but having done it a couple of times in the past I know its a bit of a pain to remove the sump on this car so I’m a bit reluctant until I know if the other issues can be (at least temporarily) resolved.

forumosauploads-12829.kxcdn.com/original/3X/6/f/6f...g

"Slim" non-tap thread chaser used from inside. Slimmer than the standard double-ended thread chaser, but still a bit obstructed

How think the cognoscenti about that cylinder wall scar?

Broken piston ring, as my guess?

If its likely to be still in there and still doing damage I should probably get it out, though I dunno if I'/ll be able to source a single ring replacement.

(I was able to do this for the B-series from a specialist piston place on the Great Western Road in Glasgow, but of course dont know anywhere similar in Taiwan).

Wasn't going to attempt this yet,if ever, but I'm waiting for the JB Weld delivery anyway so the engine is unfortunately going to be open for a while longer

Tainan alleged distributor of forming taps has now, somewhat to my surprise, responded to my enquiry on their English enquiry form, as follows

"Thank you for the inquiry.
We have forming taps, but I need to have more information from you.

1. drawing of the spark plug
  2. inner diameter before tapping
  3. valid inner diameter
  4. depth of the inner threads

Hope to hear from you soon.
Thank you."

Uh?

I was under the (perhaps naive) impression that 14MX1.25 adequately specified what was required?

Can anyone give me clues as to why they need this (particularly "a drawing of the spark plug") and what these parameters (particularly “valid inner diameter”) even mean?

Or is it just (as I'm afraid I tend to assume from my gin-sodden expatriate POV) More Taiwanese t***?

Edited by edlithgow on 20/04/2023 at 05:38

1986 Daihatsu Skywing - Cylinder head removal issues - Ana William
  1. Conflicting information in the engine manual on valve timing: It's important to make sure that the valve timing is correct when reinstalling the cylinder head to prevent damage to the valves or pistons. The conflicting information in the manual may be confusing, but it's likely that one of the statements is meant to refer to the removal of the cylinder head, while the other refers to the installation. You'll need to carefully review the manual and possibly seek advice from an expert or online forum to make sure you understand the correct procedure for your specific engine.

2. Compatibility of valve timing retention technique: Old Skool Funk's valve timing retention technique may be a useful time and money saver, but it may not be compatible with the conflicting information in the engine manual. You'll need to carefully evaluate the risks and benefits of using this technique in light of the specific requirements for your engine.

Cool.

Thats what I thought, and pretty much exactly what I said, so you endorse and confirm my judgement in this matter.

..."which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do."

Edited by edlithgow on 18/04/2023 at 16:39

Removing the sump on this car is a PITA. Lots of stuff has to come off, and the gasket hangs up on the studs, but I’ve done it a few times since the sump doesn’t drain fully.

Needed done this time because coolant got into the sump during head removal, plus I wanted to have a look at the piston in the damaged middle cylinder.

Not much metallic sludge this time around and oil pump strainer looks clear.

forumosauploads-12829.kxcdn.com/optimized/3X/d/a/d...g

Looks like I might be able to get the piston out, but mosquito happy hour forced a halt so dont know yet.

forumosauploads-12829.kxcdn.com/optimized/3X/6/9/6...g

Bearing looks pretty scratched up and apparently has (metallic? Ferrous?) debris embedded. I suppose they’ll all be like that.

forumosauploads-12829.kxcdn.com/optimized/3X/a/b/a...g

Mysterious bearing cap markings. Possibly Klingon. Or upside down.

forumosauploads-12829.kxcdn.com/optimized/3X/5/7/5...g

forumosauploads-12829.kxcdn.com/optimized/3X/a/0/a...g

Edited by edlithgow on 29/04/2023 at 05:19

No real difficulty getting the piston out, apart from the howling grit_laden gale that always seems to blow up when I have an engine open.

No broken rings or obvious sharps, though some rather gritty feeling coke around the top ring.

If a ring had been bust I would have tried to source a replacement if possible and honed the cylinder. May not bother with honing now and just clean it up a bit

Edited by edlithgow on 29/04/2023 at 09:24