Toyota - Japanese quality - Steveieb

Scotty Kilmar claims that all Japanese cars are not born equal and the best of the bunch are produced on home territory . Simple things like the quality of the paint and electrical components maybe but is is just the local content that lets cars built outside Japan down ?

But which cars are actually built there . Apart from checking the VIN plate for the first letter starting J it’s hard to tell.

Ive only been able to find a new RAV 4 and a Mazda 3 but the list must be more extensive surely ?

Toyota - Japanese quality - movilogo

That guy often talks rubbish.

Usually you can decode country of manufacturing from VIN. Since UK and Japan are both RHD, UK cars tend to come from Japan directly.

Toyota - Japanese quality - bathtub tom
Usually you can decode country of manufacturing from VIN. Since UK and Japan are both RHD, UK cars tend to come from Japan directly.

My RHD Toyota was built in France.

Toyota - Japanese quality - SLO76
I’ve had no issues with any genuine Japanese designed cars which are built outside of Japan. By genuine I mean not rebadged Renaults as Nissan tend to flog over here and the rebranded Peugeot vans Toyota have sadly taken to flogging.

Cars I’ve personally owned that were built here in Blighty but hark from Japanese engineering include the following.

1996 Nissan Primera 1.6 LX 5dr - Great car in every way, totally bulletproof. Sold to a friend after 3yrs who absolutely abused it.

2001 Honda Accord 1.8 S 4dr - Flawless but was vandalised by some m****.

2003 Honda Civic 1.6 S 5dr - Even SWMBO found it impossible to kill.

1999 Toyota Avensis 1.8 SE 5dr - Bought for £1250, ran for three years without fault and flogged to a friend for £850 who then ran it for years.

2014 Honda CRV 1.6 DTEC SE - Only juddering clutch when cold was any sort of issue. They all do that.

2017 Honda HRV 1.6 DTEC SE - No issues so far.

Some of the most robust motors I’ve flogged over the years were Japanese designs built elsewhere. Nissan Bluebird/Primera (UK), Toyota Yaris (France), Honda Civic and Accord (UK), Mitsubishi Carisma (Holland). It’s who designed it rather than where it was built. This is of course not the same as rebadged cars from other manufacturers masquerading as Japanese cars.

Edited by SLO76 on 24/03/2023 at 11:28

Toyota - Japanese quality - groaver

I sold Suzukis in the early 90s.

Japanese ones were great

Spanish built SJs - Santanas were terrible.

Owned:

Japanese Civic - the best.

Chinese Jazz - faultless.

Hungarian Swift - terrible.

American Accord coupe - very good.

Japanese Mazdas good apart from rust.

Japanese Subaru - very good.

Edited by groaver on 24/03/2023 at 11:48

Thanks for your interesting replies.

Noticing that some Korean cars are built in Eastern Europe , how do they fare against the home product ?

Toyota - Japanese quality - Catfood

I suspect cars built in Europe conforms to the stricter environment protection regislation than the Far East. Toyota cancelled selling Chinese built EV in Japan. www.reuters.com/article/byd-hino-electric-idUSL4N3...3

Toyota - Japanese quality - Falkirk Bairn

1995 Brand new Civic Coupe (USA Build)- sold 2004 - no repairs, apart from exhausts, a few rubber bushes sold @ 93K. A friend of a friend bought it - died 165K on Isle of Skye

1998 Mazda Xedos (Made in Japan) bought with 2,058 mls - sold in 2014 - under £1,000 in repairs - age related mainly - bushes, handbrake cable, 3 x callipers - otherwise original car.

Rust killed it at the rear suspension mounts

2001 Brand new Honda Civic Aerodeck Swindon - sold 2007 - 90K ish - minor electrical - door open warning when all doors closed - ate exhausts, no mechanical repairs required

2007 Brand new Nissan Xtrail Aventura manual diesel- made in Japan - sold 2012 as I needed an auto - no repairs needed in the whole 5 years in or out of warranty.

Honda Crv Petrol, Auto, Swindon Brand new - 2012 to present. Front spring in 2020 (pothole?), drop link bushes replaced Airbag 2 x recall replacements foc .

No other repairs except wear & tear - exhaust, battery, 2 x orange indicator bulbs which caused an 2022 MoT fail (£2 cost)

None of the above ever broke down at the side of the road!!!

Toyota - Japanese quality - Andrew-T

None of the above ever broke down at the side of the road!!!

That's good. It's usually more inconvenient when they break down in the middle :-)

Toyota - Japanese quality - FP

Mazda CX-5s are apparently produced in Hiroshima, Japan. Some other models are produced elsewhere in Japan and in North America.

I've not had too many complaints about design and build quality in the cars I've owned over the more recent years, but my 2014 petrol CX-5, bought second-hand with 16,000 miles in 2017, has been outstanding. It's now on 58,000 miles or so.

I've had it serviced on time as indicated and it's had four new tyres, new wipers and new rear brake disks. Original exhaust and battery. No failures or breakdowns.

That's it.

Toyota - Japanese quality - madf

Our Japanese built Yaris DRD 2003 is still going strong,

Son's 2012 French built 1.3 Yaris has done 95k miles with no issues

When Honda set up production in Swindon the idea was that their suppliers would follow them to the UK.

Their paint supplier started production in Swindon only to be told they would not be needed as ICI paints would supply them . Luckily Toyota realised the quality of the product over the local alternative and continued to honour the commitment and as things turned out with Honda retreating back home was a lucky break.

But there was the case of the runaway Honda Civics when the local supplier to Honda Swindon , who produced the handbrake mechanism got the pawl ratio all wrong allowing the car to move if not in gear.

The Spanish supplier was suspended and replacement handbrakes produced in Birmingham .Again Honda s swift and no quibble action was effective in silencing any concerns . Unlike some European manufacturers such as MB 4WD “ Crabbing issue” which was described as normal for the model .

Toyota - Japanese quality - daveyK_UK
My neighbours Suzuki Celerio is made by a Japanese & Indian partnership and manufactured in Thailand.

15 plate , 146k in Jan (and counting), it’s been faultless

The best part is the 58mpg with no silly stop start

There is something rather compelling about simple proven engineering

Edited by daveyK_UK on 25/03/2023 at 12:30

20+ years ago Honda European Sales 210,000 per year

Last year 70,000 with UK almost 40% at 27,000

Hence Swindon closure

Toyota - Japanese quality - Dingle232

20+ years ago Honda European Sales 210,000 per year

Last year 70,000 with UK almost 40% at 27,000

Hence Swindon closure

They'll be less than that if they continue the way they are going. In January I ordered a new Civic for July delivery and reasonably expected that a couple of months delay may be the case, given the general situation with new cars. Honda dealers have had a block placed on ordering them and have no idea when this will be lifted, and there's absolutely no chance of getting one this year, so I have cancelled it. I believe the Jazz is the same as is the HRV.

So either Honda have screwed up royally closing Swindon, or they have very different ideas about being in the UK.

Toyota - Japanese quality - gordonbennet

So either Honda have screwed up royally closing Swindon, or they have very different ideas about being in the UK.

I think you're right there Honda dropped a clanger, anyone noticed just how many Corollas are on the roads now, made in Burnaston Nr Derby.

Nearly every taxi i see now is a Toyota hybrid, aiding high residuals on used versions making more new Corolla purchases cost effective, even late model Auris hybrid estates are priced at used Corolla money, all of which is not helping my plans for retirement motoring.

Can see me ending up with a pre DPF Diesel estate again when i retire.

attn Heidfirst, our 2007 Hilux was built in South Africa, IIRC correctly all europe bound Hilux's were built in SA, very well too i must say, get down to disconnecting a headlight plug for example and sure enough you'd find the contacts liberally coated in white grease, attention to detail just as good as in Japan.

Edited by gordonbennet on 26/03/2023 at 14:50

Toyota - Japanese quality - Dingle232

I think you're right there Honda dropped a clanger, anyone noticed just how many Corollas are on the roads now, made in Burnaston Nr Derby.

Nearly every taxi i see now is a Toyota hybrid, aiding high residuals on used versions making more new Corolla purchases cost effective, even late model Auris hybrid estates are priced at used Corolla money, all of which is not helping my plans for retirement motoring.

attn Heidfirst, our 2007 Hilux was built in South Africa, IIRC correctly all europe bound Hilux's were built in SA, very well too i must say, get down to disconnecting a headlight plug for example and sure enough you'd find the contacts liberally coated in white grease, attention to detail just as good as in Japan.

Which is exactly what I have bought instead and am rather surprisingly over the moon with it. Ultimately I will get one of the Civics when/if they become more readily available but, to your point, the demand for the Corolla should ensure that I get as decent a return on it as is possible. It'll be looked after so I suspect many a taxi driver would look at buying it.

Honda are in a mess.

Which is exactly what I have bought instead and am rather surprisingly over the moon with it. Ultimately I will get one of the Civics when/if they become more readily available but, to your point, the demand for the Corolla should ensure that I get as decent a return on it as is possible. It'll be looked after so I suspect many a taxi driver would look at buying it.

Honda are in a mess.

They have been since they abandoned their core mature repeat buyers and went after the yoof market, had this very discussion some years back with a Pug dealer principal who'd left a Honda dealership because he could see this writing on the wall, that was back in the mid noughties.

Excellent choice with the Corolla by the way, between the dealer workshop/service experience and rock solid long term warranty you might end up staying, i pulled many dozens of loads of new cars out of Burnaston, QC was taken very seriously there just as it was at all points in the Toyota shipping import and supply chain, Honda i never carried but friends on Honda contracts found the same, sadly the same could not be said for all makes.

Toyota - Japanese quality - Sulphur Man

The UK is a backwater to Honda in terms of sales. 2021-2022 they sold 4.08 million cars worldwide, (and 17 million motorbikes). 100k cars either way in Europe is hardly a critical concern.

There's two Honda dealerships in California that alone shift more than 200k cars annually.

As for closing Honda Swindon, they saw the incoming misery sooner than most. We now have Toyota threatening to pull out of Derby if the UK Government proceeds with bans on hybrids in 2030. And then there's Nissan in Sunderland, repeatedly squeezing the Treasury for handouts, or "EV investment" as it's coined. Kwasi Kwarteng coughed up a 'significant sum' in July 2021 to Nissan.

Relating to the original OP, we have an 08-reg Honda FR-V 1.8 auto as the daily hack, A Japanese-made Honda, and utterly reliable. 109K miles and counting.

Edited by Sulphur Man on 30/03/2023 at 18:50

Toyota - Japanese quality - Heidfirst

Ta, en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Toyota_factories lists quite a few Hilux factories/assembly plants but none in Japan.

Toyota - Japanese quality - Heidfirst

Ive only been able to find a new RAV 4 and a Mazda 3 but the list must be more extensive surely ?

For the UK/European market I suspect that all Lexus are made in Japan. Toyota RAV4/Landcruiser/BZ4X*/Mirai/GR Yaris/GR86/GR Supra all Japanese.

For Toyota UK/Europe models Aygo/Yaris (except GR)/Corolla/C-HR & the Proace commercials all built in Europe/Turkey/UK - exact plant according to model.

Hilux iirc is made in Thailand, Highlander in USA.

*BZ4X is also made in China, whether any of those come here ...

Edited by Heidfirst on 25/03/2023 at 17:51

Toyota - Japanese quality - skidpan

Which is going to be a very old car. The last diesels sold without a DPF fitted were registered on the 31 December 2010. Our MY11 Kia Ceed was the first the dealer registered with a DPF fitted and that was in September 2010 when imports of the new model cars started.

Any car you buy will be over 12 year old and probably nearing the end of its life.

Surely you deserve better than that in your retirement. Even the wifes uncle who retired in his early 50's when the steel works closed managed to buy a new Suzuki Celerio when he was 86 and whilst he has his state pension his British Steel pension is tiny and he has virtually no savings.

Get something decent, petrols don't have DPF's to worry about.

Skidpan we have different ideas of what makes a decent car, about the only new car i'd consider would be a Corolla 2.0 hybrid estate not through desirability as such but because its a Toyota with their hybrid system, there is literally nothing else sold here that i would want, new cars as such do nothing for me, my years driving cars transporters changed my views on cars completely.

I don't agree that 12 years old means a vehicle is at the end of its life, though more recently manufactured cars may not have the long trouble free life as cars from the best era of car production, ie 90's and up to mid noughties for some makes.

I'm going to try to get into an up to 2016 free VED Auris estate hybrid, because part of my retirement plans are to pay as little tax of any description as is legally possible, the blinking council tax demand arrived this week that's £2500 by itself.

Toyota - Japanese quality - _

The blinking council tax demand arrived this week that's £2500 by itself.

Ouch !

Ouch !

Just had ours, £2029 for the year. But local services have to be paid for.

Oldroverboy towers £1772...

Toyota - Japanese quality - SLO76

Ouch !

Just had ours, £2029 for the year. But local services have to be paid for.

You’re lucky, mine is £3089!
Toyota - Japanese quality - FP

At risk of making this sound like an auction, ours is £3443.77.

Modest-sized 4-bed detached with piddling garden in suburban Hertfordshire.

Toyota - Japanese quality - badbusdriver

£1685 for me

;-)

Council Tax - Are you sitting down?

A son live in Texas, the equivalent to Council Tax is a percentage of the house value in 2010 IIRC.

His Annual Property Tax is just under $30,000 - payable in full in mid February - failure to pay on time results in huge charges on top of the bill - eventually it takes a charge on the house itself and extracts the money + interest when the house is sold!

It's not all bad - Incomes are much higher - top rate of income tax is 30%, no state taxes (most states levy additional income tax). Electricity is around 8 to 10c per KWh, gas is cheap but he uses very little.

I have been considering going back to switzerland, but my Council tax for the town would be about £5000., Think I'll stick with Colchester. Can be there in just over an hour from Heathrow or gatwick. The price difference pays for a lot of flights.

Edited by _ORB_ on 26/03/2023 at 19:38

Toyota - Japanese quality - expat

Council Tax - Are you sitting down?

A son live in Texas, the equivalent to Council Tax is a percentage of the house value in 2010 IIRC.

His Annual Property Tax is just under $30,000 - payable in full in mid February - failure to pay on time results in huge charges on top of the bill - eventually it takes a charge on the house itself and extracts the money + interest when the house is sold!

It's not all bad - Incomes are much higher - top rate of income tax is 30%, no state taxes (most states levy additional income tax). Electricity is around 8 to 10c per KWh, gas is cheap but he uses very little.

What all does he get for that? I assume that the council do more than just roads and rubbish.

I don't agree that 12 years old means a vehicle is at the end of its life,

Did not say that, I said "nearing" the end of its life.

That is based on the age our older cars ceased to appear to be MOT's and taxed.

2010 Ceed still on the road.

2008 BMW looks like it died 2019

2007 Micra still on road

2005 C-Max looks like it died in 2016

2005 Micra looks like it died early 2022

2002 Mondeo looks like it died late 2015

1999 Puma is still taxed but the MOT expired last month

Average age of that lot would have been 14.5 years approx. Thus a 12 years old car is "nearing" the end of its life.

2 surprises for me would be the BMW and the Puma. Other than tyres and brake pipes there were no advisories in the BMW's MOT history. On its last MOT there were no advisories at all. I guess it may have been damaged/stolen since it appears to have been sorn'd or scrapped only 4 months after that clean pass.

The Puma was suffering from the usual corrosion when we sold it aged 6.5 years but it seems to have lived to the age of 23 years. The MOT history is dreadful with a long list of corrosion issues after the age of 11 years.

I don't agree that 12 years old means a vehicle is at the end of its life,

Did not say that, I said "nearing" the end of its life.

That is based on the age our older cars ceased to appear to be MOT's and taxed.

2010 Ceed still on the road.

2008 BMW looks like it died 2019

2007 Micra still on road

2005 C-Max looks like it died in 2016

2005 Micra looks like it died early 2022

2002 Mondeo looks like it died late 2015

1999 Puma is still taxed but the MOT expired last month

Average age of that lot would have been 14.5 years approx. Thus a 12 years old car is "nearing" the end of its life.

2 surprises for me would be the BMW and the Puma. Other than tyres and brake pipes there were no advisories in the BMW's MOT history. On its last MOT there were no advisories at all. I guess it may have been damaged/stolen since it appears to have been sorn'd or scrapped only 4 months after that clean pass.

The Puma was suffering from the usual corrosion when we sold it aged 6.5 years but it seems to have lived to the age of 23 years. The MOT history is dreadful with a long list of corrosion issues after the age of 11 years.

Your own experience with 7 cars from 4 manufacturers doesn't really represent how long an average car will last.

No surprise the Ceed is still on the road as most Korean cars are reliable and it is the youngest.

No surprise the BMW is dead because even if you ignore the act that they just aren't as reliable as their high quality reputation might suggest, as they get older and cheaper they will often as not end up in the hands of a young driver with no experience of rwd and an overly optimistic view of their skill as a driver.

The Micra's are as likely to be run by an older conscientious driver who looks after it as a youth who neglects it. So unless you know what killed the '05 car, it no longer being on the road isn't representative, it could just as easily have been written off.

Of the 3 Fords, Puma's are getting quite collectable, so owners are more likely to spend money keeping one on the road. The C-Max and Mondeo?, Fords of that age are prone to rust underneath so (unless written off) that is probably what killed them. Which in turn means that with preventative treatment underneath, both could still be providing sterling service (certainly if petrol engined).

The point is that with the right treatment, I don't see there being much reason for any inherently reliable car to be kept roadworthy indefinitely.

This thread is re Japanese quality and it so happens I was looking at a Toyota Camry on Autotrader the other day. A 2002 3.0 V6 with 127k miles (barely run in!) and the MOT history is remarkable. Failed in 2009 because of uneven release of front brakes, a worn CV boot, and not having emissions tested(?), but it has passed every MOT before and since with no advisories. For £2.5k that is a huge bargain for someone looking for a comfortable cruiser, and I have no doubt it has many more years of service to give. I'd have it myself but for my wife's 'new car good, old car bad' mentality!

On the subject of Toyota Camry s my ex work colleague who retired to Vancouver was offered a short term contact in Miami and being short of money after emigrating decided to buy a cheap car and drive there and back.

Looking for a cheap reliable car he paid $800 for an old Camry which took him both ways without any problems .

No wonder you see so many used as taxis in the US.

Does anyone know if all Prius are built in Japan ?

Aichi (Tsutsumi plant) , Japan seem to be the sole plant for Prius according to Wikipedia.

Latest model will not be sold in UK - The Derby assembled Corolla/Corolla estate preferred in the UK!

Edited by Falkirk Bairn on 26/03/2023 at 21:24

Toyota - Japanese quality - nellyjak

This thread is re Japanese quality and it so happens I was looking at a Toyota Camry on Autotrader the other day. A 2002 3.0 V6 with 127k miles (barely run in!) and the MOT history is remarkable. Failed in 2009 because of uneven release of front brakes, a worn CV boot, and not having emissions tested(?), but it has passed every MOT before and since with no advisories. For £2.5k that is a huge bargain for someone looking for a comfortable cruiser, and I have no doubt it has many more years of service to give. I'd have it myself but for my wife's 'new car good, old car bad' mentality!

I can certainly agee with that...that V6 Camry has the same engine (1mz-fe) as my V6 Estima..a peach of an engine and will go on for ever if it's looked after.

Mine's done just 100k miles and is so sweet and quiet but has that extra punch when you need it..I think 300k miles is the minimum you should expect from that engine.

The V6 Camry is a great buy.

Happy to be corrected but i believe replacing the rear bank of spark plugson that engine in Camry involves hours of dismantling the intake system, possibly not such a problem on your Estima.

Recently replaced the spark plugs on my Forester, refreshing and adding to the numerous hand/wrist scars gained when i swapped them out on the previous Outback, good job modern spark plugs don't need replacing as often as was once normal, having said that they're no longer minimal cost either the 4 for the Forester cost £60 plugs alone...without the cost of a new difficult to source ultra slim ratchet, especially short extension and magnetic plug socket needed to do the job....bring back the good old A/B series BL engine or B20 Volvo lump :-)

No surprise the BMW is dead because even if you ignore the act that they just aren't as reliable as their high quality reputation might suggest, as they get older and cheaper they will often as not end up in the hands of a young driver with no experience of rwd and an overly optimistic view of their skill as a driver.
The Micra's are as likely to be run by an older conscientious driver who looks after it as a youth who neglects it. So unless you know what killed the '05 car, it no longer being on the road isn't representative, it could just as easily have been written off.

You clearly had not read my post.

The tax history of the BMW clearly indicated that it had probably been stolen or written off less than 4 months after a clear MOT. You cannot blame BMW quality for that but the skill level of a younger driver may of course be a factor.

The Micra had a very good MOT history, the one in 2021 was passed after a ball joint and a spring were replaced. There is no mention of corrosion on any test. But since the tax was surrendered mid month its again highly likely it was stolen or written off.

For the record when we sold the Micra on Autotrader it was bought by a driving school so to live out a total of almost 17 years was not a bad life.

Of the 3 Fords, Puma's are getting quite collectable, so owners are more likely to spend money keeping one on the road. The C-Max and Mondeo?, Fords of that age are prone to rust underneath so (unless written off) that is probably what killed them. Which in turn means that with preventative treatment underneath, both could still be providing sterling service (certainly if petrol engined).

As I noted in my post the Puma had rust coming through when we sold it so I think it was a miracle it lived over 23 years (I do wonder if its still being used on the road since the tax is still current).

The other Fords were diesels, the Mondeo the 2.0 TDCi 130 PS and the Focus a 1.6 TDCi 110 PS. No idea what killed either.

The Mondeo had no corrosion issues noted on the MOT history but its interesting to note that during the 11 years after we sold it the car only covered 37,000 miles. No DPF so it was not that.

The Focus like the Mondeo had no corrosion issues noted in its MOT’s but over 6 years after its last MOT expired its still on a SORN, bizarre that one.

Toyota - Japanese quality - nellyjak

Happy to be corrected but i believe replacing the rear bank of spark plugson that engine in Camry involves hours of dismantling the intake system, possibly not such a problem on your Estima.

I think you are right in that it is not an easy peasy job..I deliberately had Denso Iridium long life plugs put in when I first bought the Estima...along with new cambelt.

I recall the guys who did it say that the rear bank of plugs were a harder job than than the cambelt.!!..but don't recall any great need for dismantling..just tight space in which to work.

I'd say the Estima enine bay is much tighter than the Camry.?

That was 30k miles ago and everything is still sweet.

Edited by nellyjak on 27/03/2023 at 09:57

Toyota - Japanese quality - Andrew-T

<< The last diesels sold without a DPF fitted were registered on the 31 December 2010. Any car you buy will be over 12 year old and probably nearing the end of its life. >>

Our Pug 207SW diesel was built in January 2008 and went on the road that April as a rental car. It has the 90 engine without a DPF, but the corresponding 110 model already had one. When I bought in December the Peugeot salesman said 'I would be better off without one', which has apparently turned out to be true.

Toyota - Japanese quality - Warning

Japanese cars are quite expensive, largely due to pushing by certain Youtubers like Scotty Kilmer etc...

Japanese cars are quite expensive, largely due to pushing by certain Youtubers like Scotty Kilmer etc...

Really?, explain how that would work.

The Mazda 2 is a favourite of SLO.

But I’m under the impression that some are made in Thailand and others Japan.

What is the quality like ?

The discussion moved on to cam chains which has caused massive problems fro the German manufacturers such as VW and Audi especially on their V6 diesels and petrols and possibly their early TSi engines.

But I’ve heard of no issues with Japanese car cam chains snapping?

Toyota - Japanese quality - Engineer Andy

The Mazda 2 is a favourite of SLO.

But I’m under the impression that some are made in Thailand and others Japan.

What is the quality like ?

It depends upon which version you're talking about - the 2003 - 07 model has a lot of underpinning in common with the Fiest / Fusion of the same era, but has improved Mazda handling over the visually similar Fusion and seemingly decent reliability. Admitedly not that many sold compared to the 3 and 6 or the two Fords.

The 2007 - 15 car is good handling and more lively if you get the 1.5 petrol engine, though I thought that the ride was on the firm side, even compared to my similar age Mazda3 (a colleague owned one and I've driven one as a courtesy car). According to the HJ review, the ride improved with the mid-life makeover version.

Other than the ride and the odd trim rattle (I wasn't a fan of the interior trim styling - even more 'grey plasticky' than my 3), I don't recall there being any major issues of note, either via my colleague or elsewhere.

Rarely did I see them at my local main dealer other than for servicing - most repairs that were common faults (not wear and tear / age-related) were on the bigger cars (which had more kit and more were diesels) and especially the RX-8.

The now long-lived current model from 2015 has had issues with the A/C system, some fit and finish issues, more on the earlier cars. They go and handly nicely (90PS+ versions), though the shape isn't conducive to interior / boot space as rivals. I had one for a day as a courtesy car (75PS base model) and it was fine around town, a little breathless on the motorway / up hills.

Issues surrounding diesels used for local-only driving likely to affect reliability over many models as common across all Mazdas. Some issues (more on ealier than later models) associated with alloy wheel and brake part corrosion, especially when regularly used near the coast or in areas in winter with salted roads and where the cars aren't regularly hosed down to remove the salt.

Mazda corrosion resistance and interior trim quality has generally improved quite a bit over the years, though it really needed to compared to other makes.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 31/03/2023 at 15:09

Toyota - Japanese quality - madf

Yes: UK Fleet Buyers - who buy over 50% of new UK registered cars - watch YouTube daily for car ideas.

Toyota - Japanese quality - Engineer Andy

Yes: UK Fleet Buyers - who buy over 50% of new UK registered cars - watch YouTube daily for car ideas.

((chuckle))

Seems to me that most uyers of Japanese cars are private buyers, and mainly retired people.

I thought that fleet buyers tended (at least in the past) to either buy German premium marques to get good residual prices when trading in or the 'volume' Euro and 'British' makes like Ford, Vauxhall (at least in the past) to get big discounts, and VW / Seat / Skoda for a bit of both.

TBH, aside from van sales, most people nowadays tend to either lease via work or buy using a annual car allowance for whatever they want up to a certain value.