Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - Benet

This has been a great car in all ways. Recently, after even a short drive I have noticed the front discs feel hot to the touch. I jacked the car up and turned the wheels by hand. The rear wheels are fine but both front wheels are heavy to turn. I assumed both front calipers were sticking. However when I took the car in for a brake test on a rolling road (Kwik Fit) I was told that everything was a 'pass' including the 'brakes binding' test. The MOT is not due till the summer. Should I just keep on driving and not worry? Driving an import, I am rather anxious about anything failing suddenly, because there may be a delay getting spare parts.

Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - gordonbennet

Front brakes could well be binding, almost no garage services brakes any more (squirting brake cleaner about is not brake servicing) so chances are the slide pins and/or the pistons could be sticking.

Another possibility is the rear brakes are giving even less effort than supposed to hence the fronts doing more work, hopefully you have the excellent drum inside park brake and not the inferior self adjusting rear calipers (civic) that arn't as simple or effective to service.

Good honest indy mechanic is what you need, unless you are competent to service the brakes yourself, if you find such a gem keep him.

Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - elekie&a/c doctor
I think I would be more worried if the brakes were not getting hot. The friction between the brake pads and discs causes heat . The fronts will be more difficult to turn because you are rotating the driveshafts as well which are connected to the gearbox.
Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - Andrew-T

Two points - front brakes always get hotter than rears as they do more work stopping the car ; and front wheels are always harder to turn on an FWD car as you are also turning parts of the transmission. Or is the CRV a 4WD ?

Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - sammy1

Have you noticed any increase in fuel consumption? I had a Stream, great car probably one of the first SUV types

In answer to the various questions. It's fwd.

The brake discs are getting hot even when I drive with virtually no use of the brakes, ie a slow run around the block with no traffic about.

When jacked up and turning the wheels, I made sure it was in neutral.

I would say the fuel consumption is going up, yes.

Even in neutral, you’re still turning the driveshafts and part of the transmission. Get yourself an infra Red digital thermometer to check brake temps .

Today I managed to get the car into my indy garage and they confirmed that both front brakes need new calipers, pads and discs. Just as well I didn't trust Kwik Fit telling me 'your brakes are fine'.!

Correction - this car is called Honda Stream RSZ (you'd think I would remember by now!)

Whoa! If calliper s are seized they should be able to free them off. Sounds like your are looking at a bit of expense. I should get another opinion unless you are happy to pay

Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - gordonbennet

Whoa! If calliper s are seized they should be able to free them off. Sounds like your are looking at a bit of expense. I should get another opinion unless you are happy to pay

Sometimes they're beyond saving, had to change the fronts on my Landcsruiser 8 or so months ago, despite regular good servicing finally the usual suspect lower inner piston on each front 4 piston caliper became too tight to free off effectively, they lasted 17 years so i've no complaints.

Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - Bolt

Sounds like your are looking at a bit of expense.

Honda charge £600 both sides pads/discs -callipers though rarely seize up and are usually cleaned and lubricated during disc-pad change unless bad

I doubt indy will be much cheaper

but surprised temp wasnt checked as Doc said, as that would confirm if calipers sticking

I don’t get it , one minute it’s passed the test on the Vosa approved brake rollers , next minute it needs a complete front brake overhaul?
Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - focussed
I don’t get it , one minute it’s passed the test on the Vosa approved brake rollers , next minute it needs a complete front brake overhaul?

The definition of a binding brake fault on the MOT test is:-

"Significant brake effort recorded with no brake applied indicating a binding brake - Major"

It depends on the interpretation of "significant" as no figures or percentages are given as a guide.

Honda Stream CRV - Hot brake discs - focussed

But are you happy to pay a skilled man his time to remove, clean, free off and reseal the caliper pistons? And then possibly find that either the caliper bores/pistons are corroded and then have to replace the complete caliper anyway?

Would both callipers seize up at the same time? Should not take much time to look and then think about new ones.. Pads and discs a nice little earner unless the owner knows they need them

Honda Stream RSV - Hot brake discs - Benet

But are you happy to pay a skilled man his time to remove, clean, free off and reseal the caliper pistons? And then possibly find that either the caliper bores/pistons are corroded and then have to replace the complete caliper anyway?

That's just it. In this area you have to pay £70-£80 an hour for labour so there is little point in repairing anything, if parts are available. Which I believe they are.

Honda Stream RSV - Hot brake discs - Benet

The work has now been done and the car feels much better. When it's in neutral and the front is jacked up, you can easily turn a wheel with one hand. Not quite with one finger, but certainly with one thumb!

Honda Stream RSV - Hot brake discs - edlithgow
600 doesn’t seem too bad for all that stuff. I wouldn’t pay it because I’ve had success with DIY, though one can’t always be lucky it’s unlikely everything needed replaced. Worth pointing out that your brake fluid was replaced as well. Doing that every couple of years would go a long way towards ensuring you don’t have to replace everything again.
Honda Stream RSV - Hot brake discs - Rachel I Am

Hi Benet

I hope you don't mind me jumping on your thread! I too have a Honda Stream RSZ (2009 reg). I absolutely love my car. However, having just taken it for its MOT and service at my local Vertu Honda dealer, they've said the front brake pads are 90% worn so needed to be replaced. I agreed for them to be done, so they ordered pads to do job and when they went to replace pads, found the calliper pins/piston - something they need for putting the new pads on, is impossibly seized up. They've tried various solutions to free it, but won't budge. They are contacting Honda to see about price & availability of new front callipers. I've been warned it could take 3-4 months to get them from Japan, coming by boat.

Soooo, seeing your post, it sounded like you got new calipers within days! Just wondering, how did you get them so easily? ?? Is there something we're missing? Do they not have to be ordered from Japan?

Any tips would be gratefully appreciated. I drive my car a lot of miles working as a home carer, so 90% worn pads won't last till something arrives by boat! ??

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions. Thanks so much!

Edited by Rachel I Am on 17/04/2024 at 06:43

Honda Stream RSV - Hot brake discs - Falkirk Bairn

Your car has to be a 2nd hand, probably a Japanese Domestic Model, import. This model was not sold new in the UK in 2009.

That is why Honda UK will not have stock here or in the Dutch spares hub that covers Europe.

Vertu, being a franchised outlet, will not fit callipers from 3rd parties.

Taking a 15 year old car to a main dealer & paying main dealer rates is unusual due to the higher labour costs.

Ask somebody you trust for advice on another small independent garage who might be able to source 3rd party calliper.

Honda Stream RSV - Hot brake discs - Rachel I Am

Your car has to be a 2nd hand, probably a Japanese Domestic Model, import. This model was not sold new in the UK in 2009.

That is why Honda UK will not have stock here or in the Dutch spares hub that covers Europe.

Vertu, being a franchised outlet, will not fit callipers from 3rd parties.

Taking a 15 year old car to a main dealer & paying main dealer rates is unusual due to the higher labour costs.

Ask somebody you trust for advice on another small independent garage who might be able to source 3rd party calliper.

Yes, it was only imported last year, but not everyone wants to work with an unknown import. But thanks for advice, will ask around local garages.

Honda Stream RSV - Hot brake discs - edlithgow

If you cannot get the bits, I'd doubt that it is impossible to re-use your existing ones, IF you can find someone willing to try it.

This isnt generally done, but thats mostly because the high cost of labour means it isn't cost effective, rather than because its impossible.

When I was rebuilding my calipers years ago, everyone on the Internyet, and his Internyet dog, told me I was wasting my time, but they were (eventually) fine.

The slider pin bushings were VERY stuck, Using a hydraulic jack as a press (which a garage would have) they would support the front of the car, but they would not support the weight of a shipping container, plus unknown contents, and with one BIG BANG they were free.

Cleaned up nicely with aluminium foil as an abrasive, and with silicone grease, and a PTFE thread tape wrap they were still fine years later when the cops got the car

Honda Stream RSV - Hot brake discs - gordonbennet

Yes, it was only imported last year, but not everyone wants to work with an unknown import. But thanks for advice, will ask around local garages.

There must be a forum for rare Honda models like yours, such forums are a mine of information such as part numbers and/or parts from other (UK) models that fit others, finding friction materials (pads) isn't usually any trouble.

Your calipers could probably be refurbed back to as new condition by Big Red, but the turn around will be a week or so, maybe this could be done whilst you take a holiday?

Alternatively keep an eye out on any forums you find, after i renewed the front calipers on my Landcruiser (new was more cost effective for my vehicle than refurb as well as time constraints) i offered them to anyone who needed them on the LC forum, a chap contacted me and had them so he could get them refurbed at Big Red and then do the swap at a later date at his convenience, no money changed hands, he paid the postage.