New family SUV required - Joshua woolley
Hi Guys / Girls

Another advice topic, sorry!

I’m after a general car for towing the family around in, myself my partner and my little girl and hopefully another one on the way soon. I work one day in the office (140 mile round trip mainly motorway miles) every week and then 4 days at home pottering around to the post office / shops etc. I don’t know if I should be swaying towards diesel for the motorway miles I do one day a week or stick to a petrol for the day to day running’s it’ll do for the majority of the week.

My budget is £14k with the hope I’ll get some on a part ex for my current VW golf. ( I can’t be bothered with the hassle of selling private appreciate I’ll not get as much).

So far I’ve looked at a 65 plate Nissan qashqai 1.6 diesel tekna for £13.8k at my local Nissan dealer with 13500 miles on clock, beautiful drive and very nice inside and out. Thoughts?

More swayed towards an SUV however please send me any suggested cars I should be looking at, very obvious but I need it to be reliable (that’s what they all say) and quite economical. However I do get a fuel card with work so fuel isn’t really an issue.

Thanks again,
New family SUV required - Adampr

Don't get a diesel and probably don't get a Qashqai.

Is there a particular reason you want an SUV? Is it the looks or the practicality (which I'm a bit dubious about).

Most people will say to go for Kia, Hyundai, Toyota, Honda or Mazda. They all make family-sized SUVs that are every bit as good as a Qashqai nicer inside and probably more reliable. They also all make 'proper' cars.

If you want an SUV and fuel isn't a massive concern, it's worth also thinking about a Subaru Forester, which is probably a little more spacious and capable than the others, but tends to be on the thirsty side.

New family SUV required - SLO76
A Qashqai is nothing more than a rebadged Renault Megane with added weight which is actually worse at almost everything. They don’t have a good reputation for reliability and I wouldn’t advise buying pretty much any modern DPF equipped diesel, they go wrong too often and cost too much to fix. I’d stick with petrol and I’d look elsewhere for reliability as the Nissan uses a 1.2 petrol turbo which has a terrible reputation for engine failure.

The Mazda 3 or CX3 with the reliable 2.0 petrol motor are both reliable and economical plus they’re fun to drive. Honda’s HRV is robust and practical and the 1.6 diesel is probably the only modern diesel unit I’d recommend to anyone these days, they’re lusty, great on fuel and long lived. The Civic with the same engine is a useful family car, especially the estate.

The Toyota Auris estate is another hardy family car, but the 1.8 Hybrids have gone through the roof in price as taxi drivers clamber for them. They’re known as being bombproof and they’re pretty decent on fuel.

I’d avoid almost all other diesels, don’t touch anything with Renault/Nissan’s 1.2 turbocharged petrol motor, keep away from Fords 1.0 Ecoboost (known as Ecoboom in the trade) and I’d leave Honda’s 1.0 turbo petrol too. Avoid Fords Powershift autos and VW’s DSG also.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/08/2022 at 05:30

I love the look of the MX-3’s for sure. Within budget and like you say less things to go wrong with a petrol.
Thank you for the suggestions I’ll have a good look at those and potentially test drive some tomorrow afternoon.
Cheers
New family SUV required - FP

"I love the look of the MX-3’s for sure."

Not sure if that's a typo, but SLO was recommending the CX-3. I don't think the MX-3 would be suitable for your purposes! Or perhaps you were commenting on the styling of the Mazda range.

The CX-3 is the smaller and slightly less powerful version of the CX-5. People here will know my enthusiasm for the petrol version of the latter, though it's no ball of fire. It is, however, great to drive.

New family SUV required - Heidfirst

I fyou can let go of the SUV look for something that will probably actually carry more there is also the Avensis 1.8 Touring Sport (estate). You should be abe to get a 2017/18 that can be kept in warranty up to 10 years & 100,000 miles from first registration by dealer servicing once per year. It's what SLO76 & I both drive.

If you can't let go of the SUV requirement but could find a few £k more you could get a RAV4 hybrid which should work well for your mix of both motorway & local work.

New family SUV required - SLO76

I fyou can let go of the SUV look for something that will probably actually carry more there is also the Avensis 1.8 Touring Sport (estate). You should be abe to get a 2017/18 that can be kept in warranty up to 10 years & 100,000 miles from first registration by dealer servicing once per year. It's what SLO76 & I both drive.

If you can't let go of the SUV requirement but could find a few £k more you could get a RAV4 hybrid which should work well for your mix of both motorway & local work.

Good call on the Avensis, though they’re a bit dated now. Taxi fleets love them, so you’ll have competition in buying but also in selling. The Mazda is a nicer thing to drive and better on fuel though but I’ve every confidence in the 1.8 petrol Avensis.
New family SUV required - bazza

I've been looking myself at the Suzuki Scross and Vitara, 1.0 petrols. Your budget will get you into either. They are very similar, the Scross is very slightly larger and slightly less SUV like, more like a jacked up estate, the Vitara possibly slightly higher with chunkier styling. Both looked very practical. I'm not bothered about SUV format myself in general but these 2are very light for their size, and therefore nippy and economical, 50mpg is apparently easily achieved. Either would be hugely more reliable and would be worth a look.

New family SUV required - Ethan Edwards

Used 2015 on Vitara 1.4t not the hybrid one. A lot nicer to drive though it is a little bit more thirsty. Totally worth it.

I’m not one for piddly engines I’ve been there done that you have to thrash them to get anywhere. Thank you for the suggestion though
New family SUV required - TinaS

I;m not sure I'd call the Suzuki 1.4 Boosterjet a piddly engine though admittedly my partner's car is a very lightweight Swift Sport! Have driven a Vitara with the same engine, had 37k on the clock and drove beautifully. Very honest car.

The Mazda CX3 is quite compact in size (based on the Mazda 2 I believe) - I was tempted by one for myself but found the boot rather small (and I don't have a family) so bought a 1.8 petrol Civic instead. Lovely car to drive though.

New family SUV required - Ethan Edwards

The 1.4turbo will be all the power you'll need.