Forum email notifications, and "Watching" threads - peanutstew

Hi

Is there anywhere I can switch on notifications so that I get an email when someone replies to a thread I've started?

And is there a way to see a list of threads I've started? Watched threads? Bookmarks? That kind of thing? I've taken a look but not found anything. Sorry if I've missed it.

Many thanks

Forum email notifications, and "Watching" threads - Xileno

You can see which threads you've started by putting your forum name in the Author box of the search facility. It only shows threads you've started, not those you have contributed to. Sorry but the other functionality you mention is not supported.

Forum email notifications, and "Watching" threads - peanutstew

That's great - thanks for putting me in the know :)

Forum email notifications, and "Watching" threads - Bolt

Sorry but the other functionality you mention is not supported.

No, for some reason it was stopped as years ago you received an e`mail when there was a reply to any comment you made in a thread, but then talking of a long time ago now

Forum email notifications, and "Watching" threads - Xileno

It was back in 2003 and exposed a security issue from what I remember. This thread from 2008 lists some of the other problems (see post from the Webmaster)

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=70537

Forum email notifications, and "Watching" threads - Engineer Andy

I wonder if there's a way to have a similar function (as some 'social media' platforms do) to notify each user after loggin into the site that of notifications - whether replies to their own comments or posts/emails from the webmaster / moderator.

That would involve each member having 'an account' area with storage for (and thus could track) all their own comments.

I suspect though, rather like I said in the other thread about the ongoing issues here with 'arguments', etc, some changes to maybe help matters would likely involve significant changes to the forum software used and maybe even to the way the website is shown. This, in the current economic climate, might be unaffordable for the current site owners who are probably getting far less revenue from ads whilst the forum is completely free to us.

Saying that, the problems with, for example, not being able to click the links in the Reviews section to access the sub-sections on car specs, good/bad, etc in some (well used) browsers and the very old 1024 pixel wide website style/format may put some people off and possibly even preclude the use of some alternative forum software.