Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - nick62

Our 5p per litre cut in fuel duty is paltry in comparison to other western EU countries according to the RAC. Indeed Germany's was 500% more at 25p per litre

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62371732

Discuss.

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Andrew-T

Remember ? We don't have anything much to do with the EU any more.

Perhaps if we still did, things might be different, but maybe not ....

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - alan1302

When in the EU the UKs fuel costs were still high so don't think it would have made a difference to this.

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Bromptonaut

Each EU state has done its own thing as a Sovereign nation......

Our 5p per litre cut in fuel duty is paltry in comparison to other western EU countries according to the RAC. Indeed Germany's was 500% more at 25p per litre

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62371732

Discuss.

Not sure theer is much to discuss - the UK often isbehind other countries it would have been more of a surprise had we had the highest cuts.

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Brit_in_Germany

Maybe the UK should file an action against the EU, claiming that their companies are being unfairly subsidised.

Another small point, the subsidy in Germany was not 25p per litre, it was/is €0.35 (29 pence) for petrol and €0.17 for diesel.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 01/08/2022 at 13:28

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Gerry Sanderson

THe longer the price iskept high the more HMG gets back in tax. It has to replenish its coffers with recent hand outs

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Terry W

One of the joys of "getting Brexit done" is that we no longer have any need to concern ourselves with what the EU do - although I don't think they had any control over fuel duty anyway.

Also seems the case that "magic money tree Truss" will need to raise some money from somewhere to pay for her profligate promises - or perhaps the low tax, high growth strategy will really work.

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Engineer Andy

One of the joys of "getting Brexit done" is that we no longer have any need to concern ourselves with what the EU do - although I don't think they had any control over fuel duty anyway.

Also seems the case that "magic money tree Truss" will need to raise some money from somewhere to pay for her profligate promises - or perhaps the low tax, high growth strategy will really work.

Oh for Pete's sake! And you wonder why such 'discussions' have been often rapidly decending into overtly political slanging matches?

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Xileno

I don't think the EU had any authority over fuel duty.

Anyway....

It's the price at the pump that's important. I saw a graph a couple of weeks ago that showed the UK was amongst the highest but not the highest. I think the Scandinavian countries were higher. The situation may have changed in the last couple of weeks. I've always been a bit suspicious of comparisons, one would need to take account of average earnings in the different countries and the exchange rate. The latest view seems to be prices are softening a bit.

I don't think the EU had any authority over fuel duty.

Anyway....

It's the price at the pump that's important. I saw a graph a couple of weeks ago that showed the UK was amongst the highest but not the highest. I think the Scandinavian countries were higher. The situation may have changed in the last couple of weeks. I've always been a bit suspicious of comparisons, one would need to take account of average earnings in the different countries and the exchange rate. The latest view seems to be prices are softening a bit.

My local Tesco and Esso appear to now be engauging in a sort-of price war, knocking a couple of pence off the price to outdo the other every few days.

When I was out of a cycle ride on Saturday, even one of the normally expensive filling stations at the start of a bypass round a nearby village (admitedly it's now an Esso and was a BP before) was not that far off the local price (3p a litre more at the time).

I think that the fuel companies and retailers have finally cottoned onto bad publicity = less business. It was very noticeable that thos filling stations putting down their prices first were the independents, not the major players and especially the supermarkets, who've seemingly only reacted as people choose carefully where to buy their fuel.

Frankly the fuel duty stuff is mostly a red herring, given its not what the rates have come down by but what they actually are and other add-on taxes like VAT. They are too high in most Western nations.

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Ethan Edwards

Just noting that EU countries with high fuel prices happen to be those where the level of ev ownership is higher. Come 2035 you won't even have a choice anymore.

Eg Norway has very similar fuel prices to UK but the highest level of ev ownership in Europe.

My contention is that the WEF is pushing all the levers it can to ensure fuel prices are sky high. Funding green pressure groups, deploying Greta, whipping up anti fracking and so forth. Nothing here is coincidence. It's planned and Bojo has been going along with the globalists.

You think this is just conspiracy tinfoil hat nonsense. Ok just try not to look surprised as bit by bit your freedoms are taken from you.

You think this is just conspiracy tinfoil hat nonsense. Ok just try not to look surprised as bit by bit your freedoms are taken from you.

We know it is conspiracy tinfoil nonsense. There are no freedoms being taken away from us. No point in discussing with you about it as 'they' have already go to you.

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - focussed

We know it is conspiracy tinfoil nonsense. There are no freedoms being taken away from us. No point in discussing with you about it as 'they' have already go to you.

Maybe you should do some research before dismissing something you know nothing of and don't understand as "conspiracy tinfoil nonsense" .

farmersforum.com/what-great-reset-a-pile-of-social.../

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Crickleymal

Actually I agree with the WEF goals if they're true

Maybe you should do some research before dismissing something you know nothing of and don't understand as "conspiracy tinfoil nonsense" .

farmersforum.com/what-great-reset-a-pile-of-social.../

They have got you!

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Brit_in_Germany

Here's something for your 'research' (LOL)

www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-world-econ.../

Ok just try not to look surprised as bit by bit your freedoms are taken from you.

I'm eager to know precisely which 'freedoms' are referred to. Have we just recently obtained them, by any chance ?

Any - UK gets lowest fuel tax tax reduction in EU - Ethan Edwards

Freedom to travel being just one example. It's deliberately being made difficult. But of course laugh now. Just remember you were told.

Freedom to travel being just one example. It's deliberately being made difficult. But of course laugh now. Just remember you were told.

It's made diffiult as the UK decided to leave the EU - if we had stayed it would have been easier. Nothing more complicated to it than that. Why would you think it would be just as easy to visit other countries than before?

It's made diffiult as the UK decided to leave the EU - if we had stayed it would have been easier. Nothing more complicated to it than that. Why would you think it would be just as easy to visit other countries than before?

The EU countries have deliberately made things more difficult than for other outside-the-EU nations - including with trade. Hardly fair, but hardly unexpected, especially from the French authorities. We all know the French would cut off their proverbial nose to spite their own faces, but other nations such as the Spanish and Portugese now seemingly don't want our tourism trade, which makes up a large proportion of their national income?

Their loss is someone else's gain.

<< We all know the French would cut off their proverbial nose to spite their own faces, but other nations such as the Spanish and Portuguese now seemingly don't want our tourism trade, which makes up a large proportion of their national income?

Their loss is someone else's gain. >>

But whose - if we are prevented from travelling ? This sounds like a strong dose of xenophobia - foreigners, ugh .... :-)

<< We all know the French would cut off their proverbial nose to spite their own faces, but other nations such as the Spanish and Portuguese now seemingly don't want our tourism trade, which makes up a large proportion of their national income?

Their loss is someone else's gain. >>

But whose - if we are prevented from travelling ? This sounds like a strong dose of xenophobia - foreigners, ugh .... :-)

That's factually incorrect and rather a poor assumption on that last comment. The 'gain' are countries that aren't being petty and would welcome our toursm and trade generally, e.g. Eastern European ones, probably the Scandinavians and other nations outside of Europe with comparable things to offer.

My obvious point - and which you either seemed to be completely blind to (it wasn't that hard to spot) or that you've mischieviously pretended not to notice - was that some EU nation's governments / civil servants have deliberately gone WAY beyond just employing reasonable and the same rules for us as other non-EU nations/people.

I'd call THAT treatment xenophobic.

Can we get back to the original thread topic now please.

Thread moved from motoring. Please keep the discussion civil, any tedious spats and it will be locked.