The Search Begins - budget £8500 - Car

Following on from my other thread on the Astra, we have tried out some of cars for size. So far we have tried out the following for size and drivers view with wires comments along side.

Citroen C3 Picasso - Airy feel, high up, good vision all around.

Nissan Quashqai - Felt too big inside, rear quarter vision not good.

Honda Civic, Spoiler across back window spoils rear view.

Peugeot 2008- Light and airy, good boot size.

Toyota Auris Estate - Not sure about this one

Ford Focus - Comfortable, with easy controls, good views.

Vauxhall Astra - Similar to existing car just updated, but still on list.

Nissan Juke - Felt cramped in size, dark inside.

My views to follow later

[edited subject to put budget in - mod]

Edited by Xileno on 04/06/2022 at 19:35

The Search Begins - badbusdriver

Citroen C3 Picasso - General reliability not that great, all engines have potential issues, particularly with neglect. Auto box is a single clutch automated manual. manual gearshift (apparently) pretty loose and 'baggy'.

Nissan Quashqui - General reliability not that great on paper.

Honda Civic - Very reliable, though heavy oil consumption on early 9th gen cars (2012). Visibility?, you can see all you need to behind you while driving using the door mirrors, and if parking is a problem, get a camera, they are not that expensive.

Peugeot 2008 - 1st gen cars apparently have a pretty harsh ride, otherwise they share the same mechanical gubbins and potential issues with the C3 Picasso. 2nd gen cars (would that be in budget?) have a better ride and the auto version has a nice smooth t/c box. Still possible question marks over that 1.2 Puretech engine though.

Toyota Auris estate - The most reliable car on your list along with Civic (outwith that 2012 problem period anyway). Stick to petrol and either manual or CVT auto, hybrid also well worth consideration if in budget.

Ford Focus - If you can get a 1.6 petrol manual, great reliability and great to drive. 1.0 Ecoboost not a good idea if buying used, and Powershift DCT auto also needs to be avoided.

Vauxhall Astra - 1.6 and 1.4t petrol both pretty reliable, auto is a reliable t/c job so not too much to worry about there.

Nissan Juke - Overall reliability not that great, particularly the CVT auto used on the 1st gen cars. Harsh ride, poor quality interior, cramped for its size and poor all round visibility due to small windows.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/06/2022 at 18:07

The Search Begins - Xileno

I would be tempted by a late Focus Mk2 but with the 1.8 Mazda engine and pocket the change. The 1.8 has a bit more grunt than the 1.6 (I've driven the former and own the latter) and also has the advantage of no cambelt. The 1.8 never made it into the Mk3 but the 1.6 did on the earlier versions. The 1.6 is a good engine but needs to be revved more.

I've put the proposed budget from the previous thread in the subject header here, people have the info together then.

The Search Begins - Car

Budget has increased to £8,500 in view of current used car prices.

The Search Begins - Rerepo

Go for the Toyota or Honda.....Ford (so long as not Ecobust) would be third. Life is too short to own a Pug or Citroen (apart from 108 and C1 which have Toyota mechanicals). Nissan used to be good but Renault dragged them down to their level.

The Search Begins - Engineer Andy

I would be tempted by a late Focus Mk2 but with the 1.8 Mazda engine and pocket the change. The 1.8 has a bit more grunt than the 1.6 (I've driven the former and own the latter) and also has the advantage of no cambelt. The 1.8 never made it into the Mk3 but the 1.6 did on the earlier versions. The 1.6 is a good engine but needs to be revved more.

I've put the proposed budget from the previous thread in the subject header here, people have the info together then.

It's a shame that not too many gen-3 Mazda3s with a 2L petrol auto in the SE or SE-L (Nav spec are available for that price, as it would be a decent alternative to the others. Perhaps a late gen-2 car in 1.6 petrol auto (or 2L petrol if you can find one - rare) form, preferably again a mid-spec model shod on 16in tyres for reasonable ride quality.

Otherwise I agree that the Focus in 1.8 petrol form (shame the Mazda 3s never used their own slightly larger engine!) is a decent car.

I suspect that, outside of the Toyotas and Hondas, the auto box stipulation is severely limiting availability of cars within the price range that is (still) in good condition - getting near to 10yo examples.

I experienced similar problems when trying to replace my (manual) gen-1 Mazda3 with a brand new (auto version*) a few years ago - very few 'showroom cars' with that same mid-spec with deals available mostly top spec Sport models.

Not sure if the gen-2 cars have it, but the gen-3 TC autos onwards has up/down shifting capability on the gearbox, whether on the stick or (Sport models) paddles as well. Not the end of the world if they don't.

The Search Begins - budget £8500 - Adampr

Do you know what your wife's looking for? I'm getting comfort, space and visibility above other things. Do you have kids, parents or stuff to cart about?

I'm thinking a Kia Venga or Hyundai ix20 might fir the bill.

Edited by Adampr on 04/06/2022 at 22:27

As promised my feelings for the cars we tried out for size.

Citroen C3 Picasso - Airy feel, easy access, good dashboard layout

Nissan Quashqai - Rear quarter vision not good but reversing sensors help, good dashboard layout.

Honda Civic, - Spoiler across back window spoils rear view when reversing but either sensors or camera would help with this, well thought out dashboard, good boot space

Peugeot 2008- Light and airy, good boot size, nice design, good boot space

Toyota Auris Estate - Not that interesting inside but would be dependable, may be getting a bit too large for wife's needs

Ford Focus - Good driving position, with easy controls, good views

Vauxhall Astra - Similar to existing car just updated, but still on list. Good TC auto gearbox

Nissan Juke - Felt cramped in size, dark inside, rear vision not good.

Do you know what your wife's looking for? I'm getting comfort, space and visibility above other things. Do you have kids, parents or stuff to cart about?

In a new car she is looking for the following

(1) Occasional transport of elderly parents aged later 70's to mid 80's.

(2) Good carrying capacity to take items to local tip.

(3) Good running costs, not too fussed about mpg as only covering 2,500 miles a year but want other costs to be reasonable.

(4) Easy to drive with light controls.

(5) Good design.

(6) Not boring.

(7) Ideally automatic with option of manual control.

Let me know if any additional info required

The Search Begins - budget £8500 - primus 1

Surely the early problems with the ecoboost have been sorted..?, it was the degas pipes that would fail, causing the engine to lose its coolant, causing the engine to overheat, most engines don’t take well to having no cooling..

The Search Begins - budget £8500 - badbusdriver

As promised my feelings for the cars we tried out for size.

Citroen C3 Picasso - Airy feel, easy access, good dashboard layout

Nissan Quashqai - Rear quarter vision not good but reversing sensors help, good dashboard layout.

Honda Civic, - Spoiler across back window spoils rear view when reversing but either sensors or camera would help with this, well thought out dashboard, good boot space

Peugeot 2008- Light and airy, good boot size, nice design, good boot space

Toyota Auris Estate - Not that interesting inside but would be dependable, may be getting a bit too large for wife's needs

Ford Focus - Good driving position, with easy controls, good views

Vauxhall Astra - Similar to existing car just updated, but still on list. Good TC auto gearbox

Nissan Juke - Felt cramped in size, dark inside, rear vision not good.

This says pretty much the same as your first post, except that the Auris estate may be too big (so get the hatchback!).

(5) Good design.

(6) Not boring.

This could be tricky depending on exactly what you mean. From a design point of view (assuming you mean fitness of purpose rather than the whim of a stylist) the Honda Jazz is the best car in its class, yet most people who express an opinion consider them boring.

(7) Ideally automatic with option of manual control.

All auto's generally have some degree of manual control, that includes your current Astra, in which you will be able to shift manually using the selector on the centre console.

Not sure where you'd consider it on the boring scale, but the Hyundai ix20 and Kia Venga (same car barring some minor styling differences and dashboard layout) as previously mentioned are probably as close to hitting your other requirements as you'll get. Reliable and with a nice smooth t/c auto box, very spacious for the footprint due to their being tall. Post 2015 facelift auto's got a 6 speed box to replace the old 4 speed unit, worth going for one of those as it makes them nicer to drive out of town and slightly more efficient (still quite thirsty though).

Edited by badbusdriver on 05/06/2022 at 09:53

@badbusdriver.

Yes similar views to the wife. With regards to cars not boring cars, she is looking for something that excites her rather than it just does a job i.e Honda is more interesting than Toyota

Hyundai IX20 and Kia Venga are on list, just need to try one out for size and see if 6 speed auto comes in our budget.

With the current car the 4 speed cant make its mid up to be in 4th or 3rd so 6th speed on next car would be nice

Wife sat in Vauxahall Mokka, Mazda 3 & Hyundai I20.

She liked the Mokka, high seating position, good vision, good boot size. Didn't like the Mazda 3 due to low seating position even when seat in highest position, felt cramped. Hyundai I20 too small for her liking.