MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - TOMATOE

Been reading a lot of guff on the internet about camera detection that can spot people using their mobile phones and take a birds eye view, currently used in Australia.

The RAC website however stated on 22 Mar 22 that these cannot be used at the moment as the law has to be changed.

Are they actually in use yet and if so what do they actually look like? Says it takes a birds eye view so I assume it has to be high up in a gantry.

MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - Bolt

Been reading a lot of guff on the internet about camera detection that can spot people using their mobile phones and take a birds eye view, currently used in Australia.

The RAC website however stated on 22 Mar 22 that these cannot be used at the moment as the law has to be changed.

Are they actually in use yet and if so what do they actually look like? Says it takes a birds eye view so I assume it has to be high up in a gantry.

New 'game-changer' camera caught 15,000 drivers using their phones | Metro News

I gather they are on trial at the moment and they can operate on all motorway lanes using AI. though not at the moment, these were talked about a couple of years ago by TFL and Jenoptic who make them, I used to have one of the digital cameras they sold and they were good back then...

Yep it's interesting, they stated that they had been trialled on an undisclosed motorway! Have to say the new law on speeding fines has been a success, no one gave a damn about £100 fine but these days you rarely see anyone going past you at 100MPH (or maybe that's because they can't afford the fuel consumption)

Will be interesting to note if they actually announce when the law has been changed with regards to those cameras

I drove down a smart motorway yesterday and there were cameras everywhere, can't say I am a fan, not of the camera's but of the smart motorways, way too much to look out for.

MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - badbusdriver

Noticed this on the BBC News website,

uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-61421665

The LGV vantage point will also catch mobile phone users.

MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - Terry W

It seems a bit of the "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" - more and more cars are fitted with apple/android with no need to hold a phone.

Waste of money which could be better spent on other road safety measures.

MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - Crickleymal

It seems a bit of the "shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted" - more and more cars are fitted with apple/android with no need to hold a phone.

Waste of money which could be better spent on other road safety measures.

Oh I dunno. I saw 3 people today using handheld mobile phones whilst driving, one of whom nearly missed his junction of a dual carriageway as a consequence. Wobbling all over the place.

I frequently keep a bag of sweets next to me on a long drive, if I get a little bit tired and it's a long way to a services I reach for them and chew them to keep me focused, I find it helps.

However its getting to the point where if you take one hand off of your steering wheel you are immediately at risk of being pulled over.

If taking your hands off of a steering wheel to eat an apple, sweet or a sandwich is so dangerous, why do they install cigarette lighters and coffee holders next to your drivers seat, why have radios with buttons that you have to press to change channel or put CDs in to change the music (in older cars) :-)

I am guessing no one knows the answer to the legality of mobile phone detector cameras or when they will be rolled out

why do they install cigarette lighters and coffee holders next to your drivers seat, why have radios with buttons that you have to press to change channel or put CDs in to change the music (in older cars) :-)

They are called auxiliary power sockets now and gradually being replaced by USB sockets and wireless chargers, the other bits are meant to use before you set off in the car rather than use driving, including the coffee cup holders

it wouldn`t surprise me to see a mobile inhibitor installed in motors eventually to prevent use of the phone while driving so any setup you do can only be done at standstill, which I heard may be installed in EVs in years to come

it wouldn`t surprise me to see a mobile inhibitor installed in motors eventually to prevent use of the phone while driving so any setup you do can only be done at standstill, which I heard may be installed in EVs in years to come

Like that idea, although you will hear a million voices screaming that they need it for their work. Makes you wonder how they worked prior to mobile phones

Like that idea, although you will hear a million voices screaming that they need it for their work. Makes you wonder how they worked prior to mobile phones

Voice activation is the in thing now to make calls, often hear drivers shouting at the dash to dial someone's number and so the conversation seems to be a shouting match now or at least the volume is so loud you can hear whats being said, I wonder if they know where the volume control is? some have no idea where the light switch is so could be?

MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - Warning

It would n't be so bad, if they used the CCTV system to catch criminals. It seems rough justice, when they set up honey traps to catch people who have no choice, but to park on yellow lines, but never when for catching that shopper who was pickpocketed or that cycle which was stolen.

MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - alan1302

set up honey traps to catch people who have no choice, but to park on yellow lines

When does anyone need to park on yellow lines as they have no choice?

MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - Sofa Spud

I read somewhere that they've installed a noise "camera" to catch vehicles with noisy exhausts. Not a bad idea! Hopefully any vehicle caught will also be inspected to see if it's been fitted with a backfiring device or otherwise modified to cause backfiring.

Edited by Sofa Spud on 13/05/2022 at 23:46

MOBILE PHONE DETECTION CAMERAS - edlithgow

First World Whingeing (sp?)

I was in a taxi last night where the driver was watching live Ukraine combat footage on his screen while driving. Added to the sense of danger quite a bit.

A while ago someone (a non-"professional" this time) was watching a Taiwanese TV game show.

Death by RTA would have been a blessed release.

Edited by edlithgow on 14/05/2022 at 04:39