Ford Transit Connect - Found a van, but should I worry about advisories? - Sarah Hayward

Really grateful of any insight from knowledgable people who can help me make a sensible decision.

I've been looking for a ULEZ compliant small van to turn into a small camper for weekend camping and climbing trips - and maybe further later in the summer. Don't need anything fancy. I've seen a 2005 high roof transit connect for £1500. I went to see it and it's not in great condition - few dents and a bit of rust on the back door, but the guy says is very reliable. I'm inclined to believe him as it's not like he's making a fortune out of it, and he had all his fishing gear in the back - he's just been using it at the weekends in the warmer months he said. It drove fine, but there was a bit of smoke coming out of the exhaust - he said it hadn't been driven in a while so it could be that combined with a cold morning (it was 7am).

MOT advisories are a few - wondering if these are serious or easily fixed?

Any advice very welcome and appreciated - it's not an expensive van so I'm willing to fix a few things, but don't want to be landed with an enormous bill.

Repair as soon as possible (minor defects):

• Nearside Registration plate lamp inoperative in the case of multiple lamps or light sources (4.7.1 (b) (i))

Monitor and repair if necessary (advisories):

• Front Registration plate deteriorated but not likely to be misread (0.1 (b))

• Nearside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

• Offside Rear Brake pipe corroded, covered in grease or other material (1.1.11 (c))

• Oil leak, but not excessive (8.4.1 (a) (i))

• Offside Front Brake hose slightly deteriorated (1.1.12 (b) (ii))

• Power steering component has slight seepage from a component (2.1.5 (a))

• Nearside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing 195/65/15 (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

• Offside Rear Tyre slightly damaged/cracking or perishing 195/65/15 (5.2.3 (d) (ii))

Ford Transit Connect - Found a van, but should I worry about advisories? - elekie&a/c doctor
Transit connects are solid and durable . The fails and advisories are all fairly minor . However , unless this is a petrol engine , then there is no way in the world this is ulez compliant .
Ford Transit Connect - Found a van, but should I worry about advisories? - Sarah Hayward

Thanks for your message, this is reassuring!

It's a bi-fuel so passes the ULEZ - hence why I'm keen to push forwards as there aren't too may of them.

Ford Transit Connect - Found a van, but should I worry about advisories? - badbusdriver

Really grateful of any insight from knowledgable people who can help me make a sensible decision.

If you can only put £1500 into the purchase price of something to make into a camper (regardless of how basic), forget the idea.

I did used to have a 2006 Transit Connect for my work. Decent enough vans, but they are prone to rust underneath so I'm a little sceptical of a £1500 example with no mention of rust!.

Also, be aware that if you were to buy this van, you'd be subject to different speed limits than a car unless on a motorway. Dual carriageway is 60mph, single carriageway is 50mph.

Ford Transit Connect - Found a van, but should I worry about advisories? - elekie&a/c doctor
There are plenty of connect vans out there of this age that aren’t rusty underneath. Usual suspects are the rear sill areas. Also be advised that if you are travelling abroad, you can’t take an lpg vehicle through the channel tunnel.,
Ford Transit Connect - Found a van, but should I worry about advisories? - SLO76
I wouldn’t recommend buying a cheap van unless you know the vehicle and seller very well. The problem with vans is that they are not sold on just because the owner fancies a change or an upgrade, in 99.9% of cases outside of ex fleet sales (for which you’d need a lot more money) they’re being sold because they’re knackered and no longer economically viable.

In every company I’ve worked including my own, we never sold an economically viable van on. They were run until they were costing too much to fix or they were simply unreliable.
Ford Transit Connect - Found a van, but should I worry about advisories? - badbusdriver

£1500 seems suspiciously cheap for an LPG van. With the ULEZ factor, of which more are coming, surely a usable Transit Connect is going to fetch at least a grand more?. Had a look on Autotrader and the cheapest bi-fuel van is a (tidy looking) 2009 Citroen Berlingo at £3995 plus VAT.

For the OP, buying any vehicle with such a low budget is going to be risky. You really want the vehicle to be as simple as possible, so personally I wouldn't be thinking about something with two fuel systems!. For your purposes, if it is just a case of sleeping in it, an estate or big hatchback (Mondeo?) would do the job. But if you want a little more interior height(*) then an MPV might be an idea. £1500 is enough to get into a 2nd generation Vauxhall Zafira which, with a 1.6 petrol and manual gearbox is a simple and reliable machine with not too much to go wrong.

(*)The load bay floor in a Transit Connect is quite high compared to some rivals, so there isn't as much interior height as its looks might suggest.