2009 renault twingo 1.2 dynamique - problem with front brakes - Douglas young

Big trouble with car,bought it a few months ago,had to fit new struts and springs ,then onto front brakes,binding bad on front left,so decided to fit new calipers and discs, and pads on both sides,but now brakes are binding badly,it is vented discs on it,but for some strange reason,cant fit the long pins which calipers slide on,can only fit short ones,and every body says short ones are for solid discs,help driving me nuts,even fitted new caliper carriers but still the same.

Any help to sort out this problem woud be appreciated.

Thanks,Dougie.

2009 renault twingo 1.2 dynamique - problem with front brakes - elekie&a/c doctor
Looks like a mismatch of components. If you still have the old parts , I would measure the discs to see if the dimensions are the same .

discs i fitted onto car are same as what came off,double checked them, even have a nearside front carrier,with pins in them (short ones) have taken of both calipers and left them aside,and bolted wheel on with discs still in place and wheels turn nice and loose, pins slide ok,but when i refit calipers,and tighten up the two bolts,then go in car and start it and pump pedal,then go and try wheels cant turn them without a lot of pressure on my breaker bar,stumped with this,even tried loosening off bleed nipple to see if that would help,just the same.but problem is getting correct calipers for car if new ones i bought are wrong?.

Dougie.

2009 renault twingo 1.2 dynamique - problem with front brakes - bathtub tom

Where did you get the parts from, Renault main dealer?

bought parts from a trade place dingbro who double checked parts for me.

2009 renault twingo 1.2 dynamique - problem with front brakes - bathtub tom

bought parts from a trade place dingbro

Otherwise known as GSF. I don't know how accurate their parts catalogue is.

2009 renault twingo 1.2 dynamique - problem with front brakes - Bolt

bought parts from a trade place dingbro who double checked parts for me.

It is possible they have given wrong parts, certainly not impossible, it used to happen a lot where parts changed on a car model but weren`t corrected on chassis numbers possibly by weeks, which is why they were in certain cases cross referenced with the OEM main parts catalogue, change over parts were registered from a certain chassis no point, or sometimes not which creates confusion?

2009 renault twingo 1.2 dynamique - problem with front brakes - Andrew-T

<< It is possible they have given wrong parts, certainly not impossible, >>

My previous indie, who I used for many years, was always muttering about being sent the wrong parts. It's certainly not impossible as there are several possible sources of error - mostly human :-)

Seem to have sorted those brakes out now,front left on this twingo was badly binding,so removed front caliper and noticed that the pads seem to be getting pressed on by the caliper JUST AT THE EDGE OF PADS,SEEMED OK ON RIGHT SIDE, SO HAD AN OLD CALIPER AND CHECKED IT OUT AND REFITTED THAT ONE RUBBED PADS DOWN ON ROUGH PAPER ANYWAY(AGAIN)and refitted old caliper,and fitted wheel and tried out on road,came back into garage,jacked car up and tried to turn wheels,turning ok even with as new pads on them,will try again sunday seems caliper is not the same even the two new ones i bought,drives you nuts,will try out and bed pads in and hopefully thats it,seems to be if you are lucky from motorfactors you might get parts that fit right or pay over the price and go to dealer.?

Dougie.

2009 renault twingo 1.2 dynamique - problem with front brakes - Bolt

Seem to have sorted those brakes out now,front left on this twingo was badly binding,so removed front caliper and noticed that the pads seem to be getting pressed on by the caliper JUST AT THE EDGE OF PADS,SEEMED OK ON RIGHT SIDE, SO HAD AN OLD CALIPER AND CHECKED IT OUT AND REFITTED THAT ONE RUBBED PADS DOWN ON ROUGH PAPER ANYWAY(AGAIN)and refitted old caliper,and fitted wheel and tried out on road,came back into garage,jacked car up and tried to turn wheels,turning ok even with as new pads on them,will try again sunday seems caliper is not the same even the two new ones i bought,drives you nuts,will try out and bed pads in and hopefully thats it,seems to be if you are lucky from motorfactors you might get parts that fit right or pay over the price and go to dealer.?

Dougie.

Did you use the chassis/vin number as part finder?, as its usually part specific compared to just make model and reg/no. I know it does sometimes go wrong if parts are changed at a certain chassis no- but its normally more accurate than the other method...

2009 renault twingo 1.2 dynamique - problem with front brakes - Rerepo

I reckon you have got the wrong part fitment. Renault are nightmare for making random changes during production. Might need to go to a dealer to establish correct fitment.

Solid discs are 12mm thick and have a 61mm long guide pin. Vented discs are 20mm thick with 72mm guide pin. Obviously calipers are different.

Edited by Rerepo on 01/01/2022 at 19:21