2007 Volvo XC90 D5 - Please Help with this Popping Noise - zakmuh

Hi,

I'm getting this strange popping noise coming through the intake manifold in my 2007 XC90 D5 engine. I don't hear this noise when I open the oil filler cap- it only comes though air intake hose. Its really loud in cold start! Please watch these two YT videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4BJiXVvDpo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGmR1GPw0P8

I have to take the block head out and check all the valves and everything. My guess is the head is full of carbon build ups and all sticky...but I waiting for someone who would have had a the same issue and take their advice first before getting my hands on the engine.

Thanks in advance.

Zak

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 - Please Help with this Popping Noise - edlithgow

Are you sure its abnormal?

I've never had that engine, so I wouldn't know, but it doesn't sound obviously broken to me.

I suppose if there is an abnormal "popping noise" it could be valve clearance, wear or sticking perhaps allowing some compression/combustion to escape into the intake.

Compression test might be informative, but not generally a DIY proposition on a diesel.

If I'm reading this right these do not have hydraulic tappets but use bucket and shim, but allegedly they are not a huge PITA to do.

www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4...4

If I'm reading it wrong and they do use hydraulic tappets, could be one or more of yours is clogged and you need an oil change

Alternatively, if its a turbo, which I suppose recentish diesels usually are, perhaps a boost leak?

I dunno if there is enough boost at idle to leak, but if it was that it should get worse at higher power.

Edited by edlithgow on 28/11/2021 at 17:05

Hi and thanks for your reply. Yeah it is abnormal. The car came with this noise when I bought is and I thought it was all normal. Its a guy who had the same car told me that my engine sounds abnormal. I took to an independent Volvo dealer and they said its common on D5's and I need to replace the EGR body. I got the EGR checked but its all fine....

I disconnected the fuel pump and cranked the engine today. Then it gave the popping noise from one of the cylinders. Can we confirm its leaking compression? How could I check which cylinder it is from?

Cheers

Edited by zakmuh on 28/11/2021 at 18:11

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 - Please Help with this Popping Noise - focussed

"Can we confirm its leaking compression? How could I check which cylinder it is from"

You cannot confirm leaking compression without doing a compression test.

Compression tester sets for diesels are not expensive.

www.amazon.co.uk/DHA-Diesel-Engine-Compression-100...=

Try to get a set that can use glow plug adaptors to avoid the pain of removing injectors.

Make sure the battery is fully charged,

Run the engine so it is at working temperature,

Disable the injectors by removing the electrical connections to stop the engine starting while you are doing the compression test.

Crank the engine until the highest pressure is shown on the gauge for each cylinder.

Don't expect to achieve the compression test figures quoted in a workshop manual, in my experience it's unlikely, even with a brand new engine straight out of the crate.

Remember - you are doing a comparative test to find if one cylinder has a low reading.

Best of luck!

Thank you very much

It took a long while for me to work back on the intake removal.

I've got a serious problem. On the exhaust side, one in the pair of 5th cylinder lifters is broken and it has sheared off the lifter hole - yellow arrow in the pic. Red arrow one is the good one in that pair. So that exhaust valve is closed permanently

I searched for the broken pieces in the entire area, including intake side but no single piece was found! I have to replace the cylinder head.

I've got a pic but can't see an option to upload

Either your shrapnel has been removed by the previous owner (who decided to offload the problem onto you) or its likely in the sump.

I suppose if the sump is hard to remove you could leave it there. Small bits that can circulate are already in the oil filter, still in the oil, or embedded in your bearings. Big bits will probably stay on the bottom.

Oil and filter change though.

Some further concerns/questions

(a) Whence cometh your popping noise?

IF there are 2 exhaust valves/cylinder (?) it might just be more violent exhausting via half the usual port area. and not of concern

OTOH, if there is only 1 exhaust valve/cylinder (I don't know this engine) if the exhaust is permanently closed and not leaking, the noise might be "backfiring" of the un-exhausted gases into the intake tract. Seems likely that you wont get a very good "burn" after the first bang. since the cylinder will probably have more residual exhaust gases so wont get as much of a charge. This might limit the potential for damage, but I'd still want to check the turbo impeller blades and such.

A third (though I think less likely) popping possibility is that something had to give. This wont matter if you've got a cracked head or gasket since you'll be replacing those, but you'd be annoyed if it turned out your block was damaged.

(b) Why did this happen?

Casting defects aside, the obvious cause for this kind of damage ((if this is an interference engine(?)) is valve timing error causing the piston top to clout the valve head, though it might be expected to affect more than one valve.

You will be able to check for valve and piston top damage (better check the lot, and also the cams if not replacing) when you take off the head. You should also check the valve timing, though I suppose you'll be doing that anyway.

I don’t know if this is a VVT engine or if VVT is capable of generating this sort of error transiently, but that might be worth looking in to

Thank you for your reply and apologies for replying late.
This D5 has 5 cylinders with 4 valves per cylinder - 2 for intake and 2 for exhaust. As you've said, I believe as one exhaust valve is not opening, at the end of exhaust stroke there is still a little pressure when the other exhaust valve closes. This pressure pops out when the intake valve opens.

Anyways, I have a new problem. After putting everything back the car wouldn't start. Double checked the timing on both, camshafts and crankshaft . Engine runs with Easy Start spray though. No error codes detected by the scanner.

Diesel is not coming out of high pressure pump - Fuel pump sends diesel to the high pressure pump and it would flow continuously. As soon as I tired to start the engine, flow stops and wouldn't pump anymore. Turning key off and back to position II, diesel flows back again and stops with a start. I thought I had not connect the pump properly to camshaft, so took it off and put it back with extra attention and care but no luck!

I removed all fuel system related connections like fuel temp sensor, fuel pressure sensor, fuel flow control valve, fuel pressure control valve, (except the pump) and tried to start the car - it threw codes for those sensors. Connected back, cleared the codes. Car didn't start but no more codes. By this can we confirm all the sensors and valves are electrically working?

Car was running all fine without any issues previously. I have spent exactly 7 days trying to find the problem but no luck :(

Morning all. Car still not working. I've been checking one by one everyday and Today's update....

https://youtu.be/aFz4gaPUuvk

In this video I'm checking the SCV connected to the pump. SCV gets closed when ignition ON and very small amount of air getting to plunger side. Is this how SCV should work?

I'd highly appreciate if you could advise me on this

Thanks

Edited by zakmuh on 02/01/2022 at 10:33