Seat Ibiza 2008 (2006 build) - 100,000 miles - advice very much appreciated notable to gas.. - Nubcakes

Hi all, so I've had the EPC and check engine light coming on and off for over a year now, with over 4 different mechanics telling me not to worry about it. I've just had a full service.

Fast forward to now, I just drove 20+ hours to Sweden from the UK. After 6 hours of driving ( with half a tank of fuel), both amber lights appear on my dashboard, and I'm unable to accelerate. The engine didn't cut off as I have a new battery/alternator belt. I had to pull over and restart my engine, which fixes the problem and I'm off again.

So it seems when my revs lower, the car just can't gas/accelerate every 20mins-1 hour (had to stop about 10 times since the first time within a few days). In Sweden I managed to get an error code diagnosed which said I had a leaking intake system (17550 error code) and an error with the EGR valve... The mechanic reset the codes but couldn't understand how to fix the issue.

I'm only driving short distances and the problem doesn't seem to be coming back. The air filter is completely clean. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on what you think the problem most likely is? :)

Seat Ibiza 2008 (2006 build) - 100,000 miles - advice very much appreciated notable to gas.. - elekie&a/c doctor
Petrol/diesel, engine size ??
Seat Ibiza 2008 (2006 build) - 100,000 miles - advice very much appreciated notable to gas.. - Nubcakes

Sorry - it's petrol, 6L 1.4 16V engine, 1390cc.

Edited by Nubcakes on 23/11/2021 at 12:03

Seat Ibiza 2008 (2006 build) - 100,000 miles - advice very much appreciated notable to gas.. - elekie&a/c doctor
A faulty egr valve could flag issues with this and the air intake code . Also possibly give you your low power problem.

thanks very much! I'll try to replace the EGR valve seeing as I don't have very many options

Seat Ibiza 2008 (2006 build) - 100,000 miles - advice very much appreciated notable to gas.. - Big John

I had the 1.416v engine in an Octavia and I had something similar

• The electrically operated valve is a known fail.
  • Does it have a coil pack with 4 ignition leads feeding the plugs? - if so this fails causing intermittent running on two cylinders(quick/easy fix). Some versions of the same have individual coil packs - one per cylinder.

Edited by Big John on 24/11/2021 at 08:59

Honestly I have no idea, I don't know much about cars. but thanks for the info I'll start by fitting in a new EGR valve :)

Seat Ibiza 2008 (2006 build) - 100,000 miles - advice very much appreciated notable to gas.. - edlithgow

Honestly I have no idea, I don't know much about cars. but thanks for the info I'll start by fitting in a new EGR valve :)

When I briefly ran a Honda Accord recently, it had a check engine light and an "insufficient EGR flow" error code.

It also had what looked like a brand new EGR valve, which was very clean internally and seemed to operate correctly.

Its cleanliness was not surprising, since the EGR plumbing was completely plugged with oil-bound soot, and almost certainly was when the new EGR valve was fitted.

I wouldn't assume that your EGR valve is faulty without checking it.

If I had an "error code diagnosed which said I had a leaking intake system". I would at least consider the possibility that I in fact had a leaking intake system, which would cause the engine to run lean. This might show up in the fuel trims, as the engine management adds fuel to compensate.

Leaks can be hard to find. Methods include running a flammable gas (unlit blowtorch) around the intake plumbing and listening for the change in engine note, or using a smoke machine, the latter probably a "professional" approach unless you are good at improvising.