Nissan X-Trail T31 diesel 150bhp - Consistence of fuel brands. - Martin Rothwell

Gone through 3 tanks of Shell v power diesel over the last few months.

Averaged between 41 to 44MPG.

All three tanks where from same filling station just off M6 near Preston.

On the last tank we went on holiday over to North Yorkshire.

That tank full gave me 43.6MPG.

Filled up in Whitby North Yorkshire with Shell v power diesel.

Could not get more than 36.4 MPG and now I am down to 34.3 MPG.

Question is this a common happening between East and West coast Fuel?

What procedure do you follow to complain?

How can you prove that you have been sold the wrong type of fuel, when you have used it?

Nissan X-Trail T31 diesel 150bhp - Consistence of fuel brands. - Falkirk Bairn

Huge drop in mpg - I would be looking at what might be causing it rather than blaming the diesel - sticking brake pads/handbrake not releasing fully would be my first thoughts but you could have leaking tank, fuel lines ...................

Nissan X-Trail T31 diesel 150bhp - Consistence of fuel brands. - Martin Rothwell

That's what I did yesterday, Jacked, up wheels off, brakes checked.

Full engine Obd test, tyre pressure, and fuel line check. Oil checked. All came back as Good.

Personally within a few miles of leaving the forecourt you could feel a change in performance. The torque felt less at lower rpm.

This is why I I think it a fuel quality constancy problem.

I am just putting this out in the public domain to find out what we as consumers can do, when face with these factors?

Nissan X-Trail T31 diesel 150bhp - Consistence of fuel brands. - Andrew-T

Huge drop in mpg - I would be looking at what might be causing it rather than blaming the diesel - .

I don't believe that any kind of diesel could cause that kind of change in Mpg, so it must have been something else, presumably petrol. That error could have been the buyer's or the seller's (I still suspect the price may indicate petrol).

How does a diesel engine run on a petrol/diesel mix - will it, and what might be the mpg ? It won't do the lubricity of the innards much good either ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 09/11/2021 at 09:53

You got a point.

The pump handle and above the holder had V power Diesel markings showed. Inside gauges the price showed up as V-Power Diesel.

The Receipt does not mention Diesel at all!!!!!

It shows

P:05 FUEL - PRE ( 1)

I was at pump 5 I am assuming that Fuel was Diesel? and PRE is Premium?

The 1 was the first dispenser on the left when looking at the pump.

Now down at 33.6mpg over 200miles

Made a complaint directly to Shell, got a email to say they are investigating it.

Edited by Martin Rothwell on 09/11/2021 at 23:51

You got a point.

The pump handle and above the holder had V power Diesel markings showed. Inside gauges the price showed up as V-Power Diesel.

Can you remember the colour of the feed pipe - black or green ? :-)

And the word FUEL on its own doesn't mean much !

Edited by Andrew-T on 10/11/2021 at 09:53

Just refilled the tank with Shell V Power Diesel, and to my amazement, the MPG come back to 46, from the fuel station in Preston to home about 20 miles, but on a warm engine.

The tank before got down to 33.6 mpg on the whole tank before fuel warning light came on.

With this evidence, In my opinion, the fuel was not Shell V Power Diesel, sold me in Whitby Shell Station.

With this evidence, In my opinion, the fuel was not Shell V Power Diesel, sold me in Whitby Shell Station.

You need to find out if many other motorists suffered the same problem. If there weren't any, it seems you may have used the wrong pump ... :-)

Nissan X-Trail T31 diesel 150bhp - Consistence of fuel brands. - thunderbird

Just refilled the tank with Shell V Power Diesel, and to my amazement, the MPG come back to 46, from the fuel station in Preston to home about 20 miles, but on a warm engine.

The tank before got down to 33.6 mpg on the whole tank before fuel warning light came on.

Drove diesels for over 20 years and even when I tried a tank or 2 of premium I never saw a measurable improvement. As for winter diesel, combined with the lower temperatures and longer warmup time there was a drop in mpg but it was small, between 1 and 2 mpg.

I suspect what the OP experienced was a DPF regen which can reduce the mpg figures dramatically but its normally only for about 30 miles or so. However, I did experience several regens that seemed to last far longer droping the mpg significantly. One of these was during a trip to Whitby (did not buy any fuel there). At the time we jokingly blamed Fylingdales sending out signals, perhaps its no joke.

Q.1 - are these your calcs, or the car's ?

Q.2 - are you certain what you put in ?

Q1 these are the cars calculation over a sample of at least 180miles.

Q2 Got the receipt that says so. Pump 5 Fuel - Pre ( 1) 31.48l @ £1.559/L

Q2 Got the receipt that says so. Pump 5 Fuel - Pre ( 1) 31.48l @ £1.559/L

If you only paid £1.56 for Shell V-power you got quite a good price ? Regular diesel here (Cheshire) is now at £1.51 and there is usually about 12p mark-up for V-power. But that would not make the drastic change in consumption you have had. It wasn't V-power petrol, was it ?

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/11/2021 at 13:48

Nice one, it was definitely V-Power diesel on the pump and its markings. It was over 30 years ago when i had my last petrol powered car.

The main points are, the quality of the fuel grades being consistent?

How can we, the consumers, check we are getting what it says on the pump?

And what the recourse if it not up to standard and proving that?

One Idea is to have a coloured Dye for fuel save and supermarket fuels, and not dye for premium fuels? Thoughts?

How can we, the consumers, check we are getting what it says on the pump?

And what recourse if it is not up to standard and proving that?

I think that whatever grade of diesel you put in, you would probably notice little change in your car's performance, unless just possibly with bio-diesel, tho I doubt you would find that at a Shell place. As a consumer you should notice that petrol and diesel smell different, but other than that I can't think how you might distinguish fuels at the pump. Like many other things we have to believe what it says on the tin.

Recourse - proving anything would be difficult unless there was a sudden rash of complaints.

Nissan X-Trail T31 diesel 150bhp - Consistence of fuel brands. - Peter.N.

It was probably driving round Whitby trying to find a parking space that caused the excessive consumption.

Plenty of paid parking on the railway station side of the harbour. Not forgetting the fish and chip.

Plus now down to 33.6 mpg Which is getting to the lowest the manufacture quotes for MPG around town.

Nissan X-Trail T31 diesel 150bhp - Consistence of fuel brands. - craig-pd130

Most forecourts will now be dispensing winter diesel, which is more resistant to waxing. It also gives less energy per litre than summer diesel.

Perhaps you got a tankful of winter blend, or maybe it wasn't premium but ordinary diesel in the tank that your pump dispensed from. That, combined with the colder ambient temps in the past couple of weeks, can absolutely cause MPG to plummet.

All of the turbodiesels I've run (Passat PD130, Mondeo 2.0TDCI, 2xVolvo V60) have all shown similar falls in MPG in everyday driving as soon as the daytime ambient temps fall below around 8 or 9C, simply because the engine takes much longer to warm up properly.

Going to have to wait for Shells investigation.

Will not be filling up for next 10 days, but when I do, I will be putting Shell V power Diesel in from the previous fuel station where i was getting the 40 to 44mpg.

Will post the results.

Nissan X-Trail T31 diesel 150bhp - Consistence of fuel brands. - Grenache

Most forecourts will now be dispensing winter diesel, which is more resistant to waxing. It also gives less energy per litre than summer diesel.

Perhaps you got a tankful of winter blend, or maybe it wasn't premium but ordinary diesel in the tank that your pump dispensed from. That, combined with the colder ambient temps in the past couple of weeks, can absolutely cause MPG to plummet.

All of the turbodiesels I've run (Passat PD130, Mondeo 2.0TDCI, 2xVolvo V60) have all shown similar falls in MPG in everyday driving as soon as the daytime ambient temps fall below around 8 or 9C, simply because the engine takes much longer to warm up properly.

That's curious, as I keep a detailed record of miles and fuel used, and over the last few years I have seen no notable difference in mpg varying according to the time of year - and I use winter tyres in the winter that have a higher rolling resistance. It's a Mazda6 2.2d which has now >160k on the clock, doing ~20k miles each year.

Back in the late 1980s I had a Renault 18 diesel 2.1L, During the winter it got down to -20degrees C. I just managed to start the engine and had to keep my foot fully depressing the throttle, just to keep the engine ticking over. After 20 mins the fuel return from the injectors managed to unwaxed the diesel in the tank.

After that i put a heating element designed to go on the fuel filter.

Look at most car fuel tanks and they are plastic, which help insulate the fuel better, than steel tanks which at the time the Renault had.

There was no mandate by the government then, when to put anti-wax additive in the fuel, now there is.

Waiting to see what Shells investigation comes back with.