Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - Daniel Penny

Looking at a 2013 Petrol 1.6 Zetec Ford Focus.

it has 142k on the clock, FSH and a fresh cambelt in the last 2 weeks.

do you think this would be an ok motor?

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - Xileno

Plus points are the engine (Yamaha) and a new cambelt. If it's clean and has a new MOT then it could be a good buy. It might need a clutch before long. Water leaks into the boot through the cabin vents are quite common and requires the back bumper to come off

MOT has just been done with all advisories fixed.

going to collect tomorrow just wanted to make sure I'm not making a mistake.

Outside and inside of car is clean. engine looks to be in good condition no leaks.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - Andrew-T

Going to collect tomorrow just wanted to make sure I'm not making a mistake. Outside and inside of car is clean. engine looks to be in good condition no leaks.

With an 8-year-old car and 142K on the clock, only time will tell, and certainly no-one here can. You must trust your own skill and judgment. If the signs are good and the price is fair, go for it, but also hope for the best. It's pretty well in Bangernomics territory, so £2700 looks a bit steep to me, tho it seems that good used cars are in demand and prices may rise further ?

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - craig-pd130

As above, check if the service history includes a new clutch at any point. If not, it's likely to need one soon. Similarly, check for receipts for things like brake discs, shock absorbers as if they've never been replaced, they'll be on their last legs.

If no evidence of the above, haggle accordingly.

its being sold for 2700 as a PX do you think this is a good price?

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - elekie&a/c doctor
We buy any car value for this is around £2400 plus their negotiating. So I think £2700 may be a little over the top .
Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - badbusdriver

its being sold for 2700 as a PX do you think this is a good price?

This it?

It is a good price for its age, but that doesn't mean it is a good car or a good buy. Personally, I'd be asking myself if an older Focus with less miles and in better condition might be a better buy?. And IMO, the answer to that question is yes (based on the pics, assuming the above link is the car in question)

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - Sprice

A very good buy OP in the current market, newer vs lower mileage is better than vice versa, especially with Ford.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - Trilogy.

He seems to have made his mind up without waiting for replies. Ho hum.

He seems to have made his mind up without waiting for replies. Ho hum.

Still on the fence. Going to view again tomorroa

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - badbusdriver

A very good buy OP in the current market, newer vs lower mileage is better than vice versa, especially with Ford.

Not just about age and mileage though, is it?.

Again this is assuming the car in the link I posted is the one the OP is interested in, but the pics show lots of misaligned panels and different shades of paint. That, along with the trims along the bottom of the side windows on both sides, show time spent in a bodyshop and not being put back together without much care for how the end result looks.

Of course it may drive perfect, but I haven't driven it. My view of the car is from the pics only, and I wouldn't buy the car based on those.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - Galaxy

Looking at the car's MOT history, one year it did 27,900 miles in just one year.

Wow!

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - bathtub tom

Front bumper does sem to be a different shade and I see what badbusdriver says about the window trims.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - alan1302

Looking at the car's MOT history, one year it did 27,900 miles in just one year.

Wow!

What's 'wow' about that? I've done a lot more than that in a previous car and out latest car will have done about 25,000 miles in the last year.

This is the car I am going to view again tomorrow.

Do you think this has been in a fix it yourself wreck?

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - SLO76

I wouldn’t buy a mega mile car unless I could afford to write it off. It could last years or it could explode tomorrow, it’s a total punt. Unless you’re able to stand the complete loss of the full purchase price I’d advise begging or borrowing more money for a lower mileage car instead. You must ask yourself this. Why did its sole owner, who took it to this 142,000 miles suddenly decide to sell it? I suspect it has become troublesome and has thus been offloaded. I’d avoid.

I wouldn’t buy a mega mile car unless I could afford to write it off. It could last years or it could explode tomorrow, it’s a total punt. Unless you’re able to stand the complete loss of the full purchase price I’d advise begging or borrowing more money for a lower mileage car instead. You must ask yourself this. Why did its sole owner, who took it to this 142,000 miles suddenly decide to sell it? I suspect it has become troublesome and has thus been offloaded. I’d avoid.

Unfortunately my budget cannot stretch any further. I have seen about 10 cars and this is the best of a bunch.

My previous car was written off as someone had gone into me.

A friend of mine bought a 60,000 mile care and needed a complete engine rebuild

Edited by Daniel Penny on 18/09/2021 at 00:10

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - Bolt

Unfortunately my budget cannot stretch any further. I have seen about 10 cars and this is the best of a bunch.

My previous car was written off as someone had gone into me.

A friend of mine bought a 60,000 mile care and needed a complete engine rebuild

Imo, your best bet would be keep looking as from looking at that car I wouldnt trust it as its a couple of shades out on some panels and if they cant be bothered to get the body right right what else could be hidden

I would look elswhere, good ones are about but the body on that looks like a rushed repair or they didnt know what they were doing possibly both

On looking for a car for someone else in London kinda surprised at poor cars around and expensive for what they were and even some clocked cars about looking at mot histories

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - pd

If it's the grey one then you'd need to see it in the "metal" to judge the condition. On the bumper you'd be amazed how often you photo a car and panels plastic panels come out looking odd but are in fact fine. Cars are actually really difficult to photograph.

The Focus is basically quite sound. They are prone to engine mounts wearing but they have few common faults.

It is high mileage but equally it is a sellers' market with little out there in your budget. You need to drive it really to know whether it drives like a bag of sand or feels like it has some life left in it.

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - Bolt

Cars are actually really difficult to photograph.

Metallic paint has always been difficult which is why it should be looked at from all angles, as in one position it may look fine, look from another and repairs show up usually showing up as mismatch as a patch on a panel which can`t be seen from another angle

the removable trims are usually the telling parts as they can be fiddly to put back and some lose patience putting them back hoping no one notices....

Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec - High Miles - SLO76
“ Unfortunately my budget cannot stretch any further. I have seen about 10 cars and this is the best of a bunch.”

I’d hold off and buy something older with less miles. Forget image and reg plate, buy something less likely to go badly wrong. The 1600 petrol Focus is a good engine but at 150,000 miles it’ll be worn out.