Suzuki Swace, who is it for? - badbusdriver

While working the other day, I noticed that a customer at the other side of the road had a new car, a Toyota Corolla estate. But while I was doing their windows, I glanced at the car and noticed a Suzuki badge in the centre of the wheels. Yes, it was a Suzuki Swace, not the otherwise identical Corolla.

So I started wondering why they'd got the Suzuki rather than the Corolla. First thought was that surely the Suzuki would be cheaper right?. Err, no, the Corolla is cheaper. In addition, the Toyota has a better warranty. May be the case that the Suzuki is better equipped but I haven't looked into that in detail. I do know that the Swace is only available with the estate body, only with the 1.8 hybrid (it isn't getting the more muscular 2.0), and is only available in two trim levels.

That brings me to convenience (or maybe laziness?). The customer in question lives in a village around 28 miles North of Aberdeen and the Toyota dealer is in the South side of the city. The Suzuki dealer is in my home town of Peterhead, about 10 miles to the East.

I guess the same questions arise over the Suzuki Across vs Toyota RAV4?

Suzuki Swace, who is it for? - Falkirk Bairn

Suzuki dealers are apparently finding it hard to sell a £45K RAV4 - even at £37K pre-reg models are slow sellers.

Swace, pre-reg an a few miles on the clock are being advertised at £20-£23K. Mind you there are deals on the Corolla 1.8s as well.

Both good/reliable cars but people buying a £45K car do not really look at the Suzuki badge = that's Lexus money!

Suzuki Swace, who is it for? - Ethan Edwards

I believe Suzuki plan to transition to BEVs and the the Across /Swace are just stop gap products along the way. They've got a co-operative deal with Toyota. Interestingly Toyota themselves are eschewing BEVs. Interesting times eh?

Suzuki Swace, who is it for? - Moodyman

I understand that Swace and Across are Toyota helping Suzuki meet the fleet emissions standard set by the EU. I don't think Suzuki are hoping to make huge money from the sales of these vehicles, but they hope to avoid the heavy fines if they don't meet the 95g/kg.

For a small player like Suzuki the fines are going to be painful, as are the development costs to get some vehicles under 95g.

Toyota own a small bite of Suzuki and have a cooperative relationship.

Suzuki Swace, who is it for? - daveyK_UK
I have tried the Corolla version and I was impressed.
No major discount from the dealer (I think he offered £750 off) but the car does hold its value.

I would like one as my next car.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 15/09/2021 at 18:47

Suzuki Swace, who is it for? - Falkirk Bairn

£5,000 /£6,000 off Swace models with under 100 miles - some pre-reg /some brand new

tinyurl.com/4wxsyp7u

Suzuki Swace, who is it for? - Metropolis.
The Toyota dealership in my town is a big corporate outfit, the Suzuki dealer a family run affair, I would go for the Suzuki but as others have said it appears more of a stop gap measure.

If I recall correctly, the Suzuki versions get slightly softer suspension and additional sound proofing, I am sure I read that somewhere as I spent a while once googling the differences on two cars I would never actually buy..