People’s performance car - SLO76
Watching an episode of Grand Tour about the death of the Ford Mondeo and the family sized blue collar car itself as horrid top heavy SUV’s and prestige brands took over left me thinking about what was the greatest affordable performance car of all time? I loved the big spoilers and huge TURBO badges of the 1980’s, the daft digital dashboards and the school canteen bragging rights of those whose dad owned one but which one was the best?

Ford Sierra Sapphire RS Cosworth 4x4 - Post £7000 price cut.
Peugeot 405 Mi 16
Vauxhall Cavalier GSi 16v
Nissan Primera ZX
Ford Mondeo ST200
VW Golf Mk II GTi 16v
VW Jetta GTi 16v
Peugeot 306 GTi-6
Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9
Renault 5 GT turbo
Renault 19 16v
Renault Clio 16v
Renault Clio Williams
Renault 21 Turbo
Honda Accord Type R

It’s a tough one but I’d probably agree with Clarkson and co and say that the Mondeo ST200 is the best all round family performance car. It was fun yet practical. It could run to 150,000 miles yet beat most hot hatches down a twisting B road and it wasn’t too expensive to buy, especially used as everyone sought out people carriers and premium badges with piddly 4cyl motors. I’ve had many a pleasant journey behind the wheel of a 90’s Ford and sadly with the future turning increasingly green I doubt I’ll enjoy the same again from one without buying a retro classic.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/08/2021 at 23:41

People’s performance car - Terry W

What about the Vauxhall Lotus Carlton - outrageous performance for the time - 4 doors, 177 mph, 0-60 in 5 saconds,

There is little that can beat that even 30 years on.

What about the Vauxhall Lotus Carlton - outrageous performance for the time - 4 doors, 177 mph, 0-60 in 5 saconds,

There is little that can beat that even 30 years on.

Yes, the badge was mainstream but the price tag wasn’t, it’s just too dear to be a peoples performance car. I thought about including the Carlton GSi 24v which was a brilliant car but even that was an expensive bit of kit. My dad did almost buy a much discounted Senator 24v after the Saab, I still remember the desperate salesman and his manager throwing money at him to buy it. That he bought a Volvo 240 GLT instead was appalling. That said, I’d love that car now.

Edited by SLO76 on 20/08/2021 at 23:57

People’s performance car - edlithgow

WOT, No Cortina?

Capri too coupe for the toupe?

(Dunno how to do acute accents on this Chinese keyboard, sorry)

People’s performance car - nellyjak

The Volvo 850 T5-R would be on my list...or it's later V70 incarnation.

The Volvo 850 T5-R would be on my list...or it's later V70 incarnation.

Oh yes, how did I forget the mighty T5? Of course it belongs on that list.
People’s performance car - badbusdriver

Given how tight they were on rear seat space(*), I'm not sure how well the R5 GT Turbo would cope with family car duties!. (*) As with the first gen 5, on the second gen cars, the 5 door had a longer wheelbase for more rear legroom (60mm).

Out of that list, I'd go for another Renault, the 21 Turbo. But I also have a weird hankering for a Renault 9 Turbo (in black), the pre facelift model.

But I'm glad to see the inclusion of the Jetta GTI 16V, a car that, even in its day, was completely overshadowed (unfairly IMO) by its more attention grabbing sibling!.

People’s performance car - elekie&a/c doctor
I owned a Mondeo st 220 estate with the 3.0 V6 for nearly 10 years. Cracking bit of kit and the fuel consumption was not bad if driven sensibly. The biggest killer was the road tax at nearly £600 pa .
People’s performance car - Alby Back
Had a few from the various lists above including a Golf Gti 16V, a Sierra Sapphire Cosworth, a Senator 24V and an 850 T5R. One or two other things that stood out, like a Capri 3.0 S, but also punctuated by a lot of more everyday/practical cars.

I'm actually remarkably happy with the one I've got right now, a Merc E Class estate, it's only the 2.1 diesel engined version, so no ball of fire, but it just does everything I want from a car really well. If I thought I could run it forever, then that's what I'd do I think.
People’s performance car - pd

If we're talking digital dashboards I'll have to mention the MG Maestro and the Montego Turbo.

I'd also add the 405 Mi16's sister car the BX19 GTi 16v.

Edited by pd on 21/08/2021 at 10:07

If we're talking digital dashboards I'll have to mention the MG Maestro and the Montego Turbo.

I'd also add the 405 Mi16's sister car the BX19 GTi 16v.

I quite liked the Montego but as a sports saloon (or hatch in the Maestro) they were too flawed. Traction was poor, the turbo bizarrely had a carb instead of the injection lesser 2.0 MG’s had which caused rough running and hot starting problems, it was also too powerful for the chassis. The 2.0i non-turbo was the better car but to me the Montego was at its best as a comfy family car with a 1.6 petrol or 2.0 turbo diesel. Totally agree regards the BX 16v though, they were great cars. I think they suited the wafting torque of the turbo diesel and the comfy seats in the top TZD model though.
“Given how tight they were on rear seat space(*), I'm not sure how well the R5 GT Turbo would cope with family car duties!. (*) As with the first gen 5, on the second gen cars, the 5 door had a longer wheelbase for more rear legroom (60mm).”

Be a bit tight but it did have 4 seats and a friends dad had an R5 1.2 TR 3dr as their family car for many years. It always coped with getting us about.
“ Out of that list, I'd go for another Renault, the 21 Turbo. But I also have a weird hankering for a Renault 9 Turbo (in black), the pre facelift model.

But I'm glad to see the inclusion of the Jetta GTI 16V, a car that, even in its day, was completely overshadowed (unfairly IMO) by its more attention grabbing sibling!.”

Renault were good at building performance cars in the 80’s and 90’s. The R21 Turbo and the less powerful TXi 12v were both better drivers than any other rival barring the Pug 405.

The Jetta was a better car according to the motoring press of the time, the shell was stronger and flexed less, it was a bit quieter and seemed to me to be better built and less likely to have been abused. I liked the Jetta.
People’s performance car - pd

The Maestro/Montego were certainly flawed. Wasn't one of them famous for being able to wheelspin at about 50mph?

The Mk 3 Mondeo ST220 also deserves a mention - a very good sports saloon if a bit thirsty. Very much last of the line of the large engine V6 mid range volume saloons.

I do remember the Montego Countryman Estate which tended to be in the "Mayfair" versions had a distinct air of middle class respectability at the time and were quite popular.

People’s performance car - Alby Back
I had an MG Maestro for a while. Hated it. Got rid and replaced it with a Golf GTi, which I really liked.
People’s performance car - Engineer Andy

Affordable? Hmmm. I'd say, from those I like (not just quick and cheap)

Pug 205 GTi 1.9 (my cousin owned one). I also really liked the later 306 GTI (better looking) and its little bro the 106GTi and their cheaper Rallye/XSi versions.

Nissan Almera mk1 2.0 GTi (the dealership chap who sold me my Micra owned one - very nice indeed)

VW Golf mkII GTi - the hot hatch of choice in the 1980s until the Pug arrived

Honda Civic (2001 - 05) Type R - I was that close to buying one instead of my Mazda3 1.6 petrol because they only cost about £17k or so back in 2006 (shows how much car prices have risen since). The last value-for money hot hatch in my opinion. Still see a load still going today, albeit most have been modded.

Renault Clio 16V/Williams (a former colleage had the former and it very much reminded me of my cousin's Pug 205 GTi - both pocket rockets).

Aspirational car (my 1980s fave): The Audi Quattro, especially the later ones with the smoked light clusters. Sweet. Even better than a Cossie.

A former colleague owned one of those Mondeos from the late 2000s in that very sporty Ford blue (it could've had a white stripe too) colour. Very nice.

A shame that the time of affordable new perfromance cars (especially those where the suspension isn't as hard as a rock and not shod on tyres so low profile you can bear see them side on) has now passed. You'll be lucky to find anything (at least in the UK*) for under £30k these days.

* Pandemic price rises aside, there are still some bargain performance cars out there, unfortunately not in Euorpe, mainly in the US, presumably because the cost of living is cheaper. Even factoring in the exchange rate, equivalent cars are still quite a bit cheaper than those on sale in Europe and many other Western countries.

For example, you can pick up a new Mazda3 2.5T Auto range-topper (not even sold over here) for the same or less than the 2.0 Skactiv-X GT Sport. I'm sure it's a similar situation for other makes/models as well.

People’s performance car - Heidfirst

* Pandemic price rises aside, there are still some bargain performance cars out there, unfortunately not in Euorpe, mainly in the US, presumably because the cost of living is cheaper. Even factoring in the exchange rate, equivalent cars are still quite a bit cheaper than those on sale in Europe and many other Western countries.

Mainly taxation differences & volumes I would say rather than cost of living. The US isn't actually that cheap to live in.

People’s performance car - Steveieb

Can’t see the Subaru WRX on the list SLO !

I don’t like the image or price tag of later tarted up examples but the Mk I Impreza and the Mk I Legacy 4 cam both deserve to be on the list. The Legacy was £18500 at launch with 197bhp compared to about £27k for a Cosworth with 23bhp more. The Legacy was the better car too. It should be there.
People’s performance car - Manatee

I don’t like the image or price tag of later tarted up examples but the Mk I Impreza and the Mk I Legacy 4 cam both deserve to be on the list. The Legacy was £18500 at launch with 197bhp compared to about £27k for a Cosworth with 23bhp more. The Legacy was the better car too. It should be there.

Yes it should. I got a new job in 1991 with a user chooser car. I filled in the form for a Legacy 4 cam turbo estate which met all the criteria, after an excellent test drive. The employer then invented a new rule to exclude it. Something like "Any car deemed high risk by the Transport Manager at his discretion will not be supplied". I got an Audi 100 saloon instead.

Mainly taxation differences & volumes I would say rather than cost of living. The US isn't actually that cheap to live in.

Aren't they the main components of the cost of living differences from country to country? :-)

People’s performance car - expat

There used to be some great affordable performance cars in Australia. All the young guys wanted V8 utes however now that Holden and Ford have stopped manufacturing in Australia those V8s and big sixes are no longer available. Yes, you can get 3.6lt pickups and SUVs but those are not as much fun to drive. My daily driver is a 4lt 6cyl Ford Falcon and it is great for relaxed cruising on long country roads. You can be doing 110 kph, pull out to overtake, floor the throttle and she kicks down and roars away. A great feeling.

“ Nissan Almera mk1 2.0 GTi (the dealership chap who sold me my Micra owned one - very nice indeed)”

These were genuinely good cars. I ran about in one for a while that is taken in against a Colt GTi another car that I forgot about in my Morgan’s induced stupor. Both belong on the peoples performance car list as both were great fun yet affordable. The Almere was really only let down by its bland styling inside and out but to drive it was a real joy.
“ Nissan Almera mk1 2.0 GTi (the dealership chap who sold me my Micra owned one - very nice indeed)” These were genuinely good cars. I ran about in one for a while that is taken in against a Colt GTi another car that I forgot about in my Morgan’s induced stupor. Both belong on the peoples performance car list as both were great fun yet affordable. The Almere was really only let down by its bland styling inside and out but to drive it was a real joy.

Indeed - The Mitsi Colt was on my list (with the Micra and Honda Civic) for my first car (2nd hand 2 to 4 years old) back in 1998. I looked at the very nice Colt 1.6 GLXi (no way I could afford [esp. the insurance as a new driver] the 1.8 GTi), and the lack of widespread dealership support and high parts/servicing costs (which also bumped up the inurance quite a bit) was what pushed me away from them.

A shame that the Colt never really caught on as an alternative to the popular small hatches. Similarly for the Almera - I had one as a courtesy car (as a sort of defacto test drive when my Micra was in for a service/MOT) and thought it was great to drive, despite it just being a 1.4 engined model. Good value cars if you could keep rust at bay, if rather bland looks as you say.

People’s performance car - badbusdriver
“ Nissan Almera mk1 2.0 GTi (the dealership chap who sold me my Micra owned one - very nice indeed)” These were genuinely good cars. I ran about in one for a while that is taken in against a Colt GTi another car that I forgot about in my Morgan’s induced stupor. Both belong on the peoples performance car list as both were great fun yet affordable. The Almere was really only let down by its bland styling inside and out but to drive it was a real joy.

Indeed - The Mitsi Colt was on my list (with the Micra and Honda Civic) for my first car (2nd hand 2 to 4 years old) back in 1998. I looked at the very nice Colt 1.6 GLXi (no way I could afford [esp. the insurance as a new driver] the 1.8 GTi), and the lack of widespread dealership support and high parts/servicing costs (which also bumped up the inurance quite a bit) was what pushed me away from them.

A shame that the Colt never really caught on as an alternative to the popular small hatches. Similarly for the Almera - I had one as a courtesy car (as a sort of defacto test drive when my Micra was in for a service/MOT) and thought it was great to drive, despite it just being a 1.4 engined model. Good value cars if you could keep rust at bay, if rather bland looks as you say.

A friend used to have a Proton Wira saloon. Real basic, bland looking thing in white with wheel trims, screamed minicab (or Grandad)!. But when I looked into it, turns out said Proton was a bit of a 'sleeper', having the 1.8 16V unit from the Colt 1.8GTI...........

Not a great deal of power in this day and age, but could have been amusing hunting down and embarrassing (or at least, surprising) boy racers!.

A friend used to have a Proton Wira saloon. Real basic, bland looking thing in white with wheel trims, screamed minicab (or Grandad)!. But when I looked into it, turns out said Proton was a bit of a 'sleeper', having the 1.8 16V unit from the Colt 1.8GTI...........

Not a great deal of power in this day and age, but could have been amusing hunting down and embarrassing (or at least, surprising) boy racers!.

If I recall (from when I was looking at the mid 90s Colt, the 1.6L and 1.8L petrol engines had 110bhp and 134bhp (it may have been 143) and 0-60 times of 10sec and around 8sec (approx) respectively. The 1.8 GTi - especially in black - was a VERY nice looking car that would easily keep up with (and often beat) most hot hatches of the day and many since.

The Proton equivalent after the bought the rights to the engineering of that car was cheap looking but swift - someone round the corner from me still owns a Satria GTi.

“ If I recall (from when I was looking at the mid 90s Colt, the 1.6L and 1.8L petrol engines had 110bhp and 134bhp (it may have been 143) and 0-60 times of 10sec and around 8sec (approx) respectively. The 1.8 GTi - especially in black - was a VERY nice looking car that would easily keep up with (and often beat) most hot hatches of the day and many since.

The Proton equivalent after the bought the rights to the engineering of that car was cheap looking but swift - someone round the corner from me still owns a Satria GTi.”

From memory the Colt from 92-96 (the best version in my opinion) had 111bhp from the 1.6 and 138bhp from the 1.8. These were great little cars, far better made than rivals and very well equipped. Dealers really made little effort to sell them here thanks to import restrictions but they deserved to be more popular. The next gen from 96 on wasn’t as well made and the 1.6 petrol dropped to a lowly 88bhp with only a slight improvement in economy as an upside and there was no GTi to lift the cars image.

The Proton Persona and Compact were based on the same floor pan and running gear as the Colt and Lancer and were genuinely good cars as long as you opted for one with power steering. The only negatives were unnecessarily firm suspension and poor economy on all but the turbo diesel which was a good car for the same money as the identically equipped 1.6 petrol. It should’ve sold better.

Indeed - before the days of the HJ website (I would've read my dad's copy of the Saturday Telegraph for HJ's agony column but I can't remember when he started it), I remember dutifly buying my paper copy of the Parkers guide (boo!) and that was why my choices for my first car were between the Micra K11, Civic of the same era and the (nice version of the) Colt, all 3dr versions.

Of the three, the Colt was the best looking and to drive, but was far more expensive than the Micra (even with the 1.3 engine for both to compare) and there were so few about, plus the high insurance. The Civic wasn't exactly cheap either.

The memory of the Colt was why I put the 3dr Civic from the early 2000s on my list - very similar experience. TBH if Motorpoint hadn't put up such ridiculously cheap (new) Mazda3s, I probably would've got a Civic 3dr 1.6 Sport or 2.0 Type R.

A real shame Mitsubishi didn't put more of an effort to up their sales via increasing their import quota in the 90s - maybe it was out of their hands. Also a shame that they are a pale shadow of their former selves, with the Colt, Lancer (including later EVOs) and Gallant being very well thought of at that time, as were their bigger 4x4s.

People’s performance car - John F

Back in the 60s people used to make their own performance cars out of what was available on the parts shelf. My first personal experience of this was a rusty old Ford Anglia 105E whose engine had been swapped for a stage two tuned Cortina 1600GT mated to a Lotus gear box. It had a go (even) faster side stripe a la 123E Anglia. I have no idea of the 0-60 time but it was satisfyingly rapid. It met a sad roly poly end when I hit a patch of ice on a bend just east of Gargrave hurrying back to Leeds in the small hours after a wedding party in the Lake District. Heigh ho - happy daze. Fortunately it landed the right way up and I was able to nurse its battered frame and squealng boss-eyed front wheels back as far as Keighley where I abandoned it in a garage forecourt. It was particularly annoying because it had recently thrown a piston ring and I had just rebuilt the engine. It was back to the bicycle for some time :-(