Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - Warning
Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-13/new-par...c

I am wondering if tis sort of thing will be happening in cities in the UK.

Imagine buying that expensive electric car, only to be banned from driving in the city centre.

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - badbusdriver
Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center

www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-13/new-par...c

I am wondering if tis sort of thing will be happening in cities in the UK.

Imagine buying that expensive electric car, only to be banned from driving in the city centre.

A, it is only non-residents who won't be able to drive into the city centre. People who live there, disabled, delivery drivers, service drivers, etc, will still be able to.

B, I'm not convinced people who buy expensive electric cars do so only to drive in city centres.

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - Heidfirst

Glasgow looks to be heading that way already at least for the very center 20-30 blocks with increased pedestrianisation, cycle lanes & vehicle restrictions planned.

Nobody would drive across the very city centre here though if passing through.

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - _

Quite why anyone whodoes not have to, would want to drive anywhere within the outer Motorway ring road for Paris, escapes me.

I avoid at all costs..

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - badbusdriver

Quite why anyone whodoes not have to, would want to drive anywhere within the outer Motorway ring road for Paris, escapes me.

I avoid at all costs..

I feel the same way ORB, I try to avoid driving into Aberdeen if at all possible, never mind anywhere bigger!.

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - Engineer Andy

I avoid at all costs..

I feel the same way ORB, I try to avoid driving into Aberdeen if at all possible, never mind anywhere bigger!.

I suspect that most people would probably say the same for most larger towns and cities these days. Unfortunately, needs must sometimes. I always try to use public transport where possible/appropriate, preferably out of the rush hours (now several hours) or on weekends.

Some people don't seem to mind driving in that hugely stressful environment, though I can't think why!

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - Xileno

Ended up on the Arc de Triomphe years ago (before the days of sat nav), that was scary enough for me...

[video has music]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVNAtzOnDRU

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - Engineer Andy

Ended up on the Arc de Triomphe years ago (before the days of sat nav), that was scary enough for me...

[video has music]

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVNAtzOnDRU

I remember many accounts of the French (unlike us Brits) not being bothered about dings on their car. Now I see why...

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - Metropolis.

Perhaps I can enlighten you guys on why some of us prefer to drive into city centres rather than walk, cycle, take a bus, train, tube etc.

When I drive into the city centre, I pre-plan the parking for the next destination, google maps is very useful for this and in some cities it will even tell you if the car park is full or not. Simply type in your destination, then click 'parking nearby' and it will give you a list showing how far the available parking is from the destination.

I am unfussed by other drivers, if they beep so be it, it's all drowned out by (if in London) Magic FM. I can relax in my climate controlled rain proof box where I get to choose the exact temperature regardless of what is going on outside, I also get to choose the company and the music. My own space and my own pace. I lock the doors in case of eco loonies trying to get in (have had stuff thrown at me including fruit while sat in stationary traffic which was weird). And being in a Land Rover Discovery (if i am in the UK) it's quite spacious inside so i can put the hand brake on and stretch out if the traffic gets bad, and I can see over alot of the traffic, low walls, bollards etc. and just generally better awareness of surroundings. Literally the only thing that stresses me is those pesky yellow box junctions, get stuck on one of those and you'll get a fine through the post, as has happened to me before.

But ompare that to walking/cycling around getting hot and sweaty or soaking wet and having to get up close and personal with everyone else (pre covid especially) on public transport that by its very nature leaves without you and stops when you don't need it to, having to stand up on a moving vehicle because of overcrowding, NO THANKS!

Have to admit though, having driven in capital cities all over the world, the only one where the traffic has been so bad that I have actually not moved for a couple of hours and missed an appointment is London. In virtually every other major city (i always hire a car), the traffic moves but slowly. In London it just seems to stall! Best city by far was New York.

Car every time for me. I find public transport quite a traumatic experience. Bad enough having to pay the 'congestion' charge, an outright ban is way too far.

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - Heidfirst

Perhaps I can enlighten you guys on why some of us prefer to drive into city centres rather than walk, cycle, take a bus, train, tube etc.

The article is about banning through traffic though not about banning driving into the city centre per se.

When I have a need to go into Glasgow city centre I either drive in or take a bus depending upon where exactly I want to go, the time of day & what else is on the diary that day. I would never drive through the centre of Glasgow to pass through to get to somewhere on the other side though

Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - Metropolis.
Yes, my post was a classic example of having not read the article!
Paris Will Ban Through Traffic in City Center - daveyK_UK
This ban is not expected to come into force, or at least not in its current form