Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Chops99

Hi

As diagnosed by recovery technician on Saturday my 2017 Honda Civic with 45k on the clock underwent engine failure when the timing chain broke, most likely catastrophic engine failure as a result.

I bought it from a Car Supermarket 4 months ago and have done 3k in it.

No warranty

Reading the consumer rights act 2015 it seems I could have some recourse with the Car S and expect that they repair it as its within 6 months of buying it. It appears its not a wear and tear type issue for a timing chain to break at 45k.

Since I started writing this the Car Supermarket got back to me and advised me to contact Honda main dealer and see if there is any 'good will' on behalf of manufacturer. Spoke to Honda and they will sort recovery to their garage and then take some pictures and diagnose the fault and Honda will decide if they can repair under 'good will' Engine wont need to come out so only a fee of £117 payable at this point.

Was originally wondering what my comeback was regarding the Car Supermarket but now wondering if I'm doing the right thing going down this route and what my expectations should be if Honda refuse to repair under good will?

Am I right in thinking I am covered by the 2015 consumer goods act or would I have to prove the fault was there at the time of purchase from the Car Supermarket.

TIA

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - skidpan

Your contract is with the company you bought it from, you have no contract with Honda.

Its out of warranty so Honda have no liability.

You are within 6 months so you do not have to prove that the fault was present when the car was bought.

The seller should be arranging taking to car to Honda and paying the £117 fee not you.

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Miniman777

I think a number of us will be asking why you'd buy a car just over 3 years old, average mileage and no warranty? Just doesn't make sense.

Your option may be a engine from a dismantler, preferable a rear ended shunt, and find a willing mechanic.

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Andrew-T

I think a number of us will be asking why you'd buy a car just over 3 years old, average mileage and no warranty? Just doesn't make sense.

I think that statistically it might make good sense, provided that the lack of warranty reflects a reduction in purchase price. Most little-used cars are pretty reliable these days, so the odds should be in your favour. In the distant past I have waived a used-car warranty to save £100 or so.

If you are a betting man that makes sense, but you may always be unlucky.

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - focussed

I wouldn't argue about the £117 charge at this early stage, just get it to a Honda dealer to get them to look at it. You can present Car Supermarket with that bill when it's sorted.

Edited by focussed on 05/05/2021 at 22:56

its currently with a Honda dealer and they are making positive noises about Honda replacing the engine and turbo as a good will gesture, we'll see

I got a 1 month warranty as standard but as the one on offer from the Car Supermarket was an RAC 12 month extension for £350ish maybe more I dint think was value for money given the likely wear and tear exclusions, I think the general consensus with used car warranties is that they probably aren't worth it

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Phil of Cilcain

MotorEasy have just offered me 3 years of their top grade warrantee cover (includes some wear & tear cover) for £401 on a 3 year old Honda HRV EX CVT. That sounds pretty good to me?

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - focussed

its currently with a Honda dealer and they are making positive noises about Honda replacing the engine and turbo as a good will gesture, we'll see

I got a 1 month warranty as standard but as the one on offer from the Car Supermarket was an RAC 12 month extension for £350ish maybe more I dint think was value for money given the likely wear and tear exclusions, I think the general consensus with used car warranties is that they probably aren't worth it

It sounds as if Honda UK are interested in getting your u/s motor back for examination on the basis of this being a rare or unprecedented occurrence.

Hope it works out ok. BTW don't be surprised if you are billed for engine oil, Honda won't usually reimburse consumables on dealer warranty claims.

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - SLO76
Very unusual failure. Does the car have a full Honda main dealer service record? Neglect or possibly a backstreet garage using the wrong oil could cause this but a rare manufacturing fault could’ve happened. In all the years I’ve sold Honda’s I’ve never suffered either a timing belt nor a chain failure. That said, it wasn’t uncommon on early 2.2 diesels.

Edited by SLO76 on 07/05/2021 at 23:35

in the end Honda refused to repair under good will, they offered 40% towards parts but that was a few hundred on a 1.5 k repair quotation.

the car supermarket I bought it from agreed to cover the full cost of the repair without any hassle which was refreshingly surprising. it had full honda serivce history

the fault has baffled the Honda service techs but having replaced the belt there was no further engine damage. the belt was very worn...teeth gone completely which is bizarre considering the mileage

is there any reason to look to offload this car sooner rather than later on the basis that I may have a similar problem again?

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - bathtub tom
the fault has baffled the Honda service techs but having replaced the belt there was no further engine damage. the belt was very worn...teeth gone completely which is bizarre considering the mileage

Seems as if something else the belt drives locked. Water pump, a/c pump, idler pulley?

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - skidpan

You said in your original post

It appears its not a wear and tear type issue for a timing chain to break at 45k.

but now you say its a belt

but having replaced the belt there was no further engine damage

So which is it?

dunno, belt i think.

recovery technician said it was a chain, Honda have talked about it and described it as a belt

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - elekie&a/c doctor
All Honda models from around 2006 are chain drive , so I think it’s fair to assume it’s not a belt .
“ its currently with a Honda dealer and they are making positive noises about Honda replacing the engine and turbo as a good will gesture, we'll see”

This post did reveal that it must’ve been one of Honda’s newer 3cyl belt in bath driven 1.0 turbocharged motors (the chain driven designs are generally very robust) which are from what I read suffering some failures like this and thanks to the overly complex design they’re ludicrously expensive to change the belt on, meaning no one will have the job done. These engines won’t have Honda’s usual high standard of reliability over the long term and I don’t recommend them at all.

Edited by SLO76 on 03/08/2022 at 04:52

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Olive Roche

Please can you help me. I hve my 2017 Honda civic 1 litre turbo. The chain broke 3 days ago while I wS stopped at a roundabout and car would not restart . These chains are not supposed to give any trouble and do t need to be replaced according to Honda. Why would this hve happened. I'm devastated. I hve the car 2 years now and I got no wRning signs the car was driving perfectly. Is this a fault in the car by Honda ????

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Mark123451

Hi

I know this post is from a year ago but I have just had the same issue so was wondering what the outcome was on this.

Apparently this is a known fault and Honda have extended the warranty on this issue. Mine is in for checks/diagnostic today so be keen to have more information so I can go in armed!

Thanks

Mark

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Amber108
The exact same issue happened with my 2017 Honda Civic too. It happened at the start of June after purchasing 2nd hand from Arnold Clark and only had 37k Miles on the clock when it happened, I still don't have it back and have been fighting AC for months about it. They finally took it seriously after I threatened legal action and the last I heard a few weeks ago is they will be billing Honda for replacement engine and turbo. It is a known issue, the mechanics we have spoken to confirmed this is not the first time they have seen this issue happen with this engine type
Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Cinders

I have also suffered exactly the same issue on my 2017 Civic. Is there any update on Honda accepting liability please.

What mileage is on your car? The timing belt interval on the 1.0 Turbo is 6yrs or 75,000 miles, but I’ve heard through the grapevine that dealers are recommending doing at 5yrs, which suggests there’s a known problem. I certainly wouldn’t touch one of these as the belt change is a ludicrous £1,700 at Honda dealers and is thus being ignored by owners and by selling dealers.

Not much help in this case though sadly and I doubt Honda will act if the belt hasn’t been changed before it got to 6yrs or 75,000 miles, whichever came first. These are not to be mistaken for the bombproof old chain driven Honda petrol engines used in the previous Civic. One to avoid I’m afraid.

Edited by SLO76 on 14/05/2023 at 22:27

73000 miles. Registered August 2017. As you say, £1700 prohibitive forget change. I would definitely say AVOID.

I have recently suffered exactly the same failure on my 2017 Civic. Did you get anywhere with Honda regards liability. Thanks

Mee too just 3 days ago . I'm devastated

Any update ???just happened me 3 days ago I'm devastated

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - Hondzia

Czesc, jestem kolejnym pechowym uzytkownikiem Hondy Civic 2017 z uszkodzonym silnikiem 1,0T. Mój samochód ma ponad 6 lat i przebieg ponizej 60 000 kilometrów. Od kilku dni auto jest w serwisie Hondy i czeka na weryfikacje. Jezdzilem kilkoma hondami i zadna mnie nie zawiodla, nawet te Hondy, które mialy ponad 300 000 km przebiegu. Z poprzednich Hond bylem i jestem bardzo zadowolony, dlatego ten Civic to kolejna moja Honda. Z wlasnego doswiadczenia nigdy bym nie przypuszczal, ze silnik Hondy zepsuje sie przy tak niskim przebiegu tak wielu osobom.

Przyznam, ze irytujace sa w tym aucie kosztowne kolejne awarie ukladu klimatyzacji, ale remont lub wymiana silnika ponizej oficjalnej granicy przebiegu kilometrów na mój koszt jest dla mnie nie do przyjecia.

W serwisie otrzymalem informacje, ze Honda dla tych silników obecnie prowadzi akcje kontroli paska rozrzadu. Mam zal, ze dealer nie powiadomil mnie o tym wczesniej, byc moze mój silnik jeszcze by zyl. Czekam z niecierpliwoscia na wyrok, bo osobiscie nie zamierzam placic wiecej za bledy Hondy.

Google Translate:

Hello, I am another unlucky user of a Honda Civic 2017 with a damaged 1.0T engine. My car is over 6 years old and has less than 60,000 kilometers on the clock. The car has been at Honda's service center for several days and is waiting for verification. I have driven several Hondas and none of them have let me down, even those Hondas that have had over 300,000 km on the clock.

I was and am very satisfied with my previous Hondas, so this Civic is my next Honda. From my own experience, I would never have guessed that a Honda engine would fail at such low mileage for so many people.

I admit that costly subsequent failures of the air conditioning system in this car are irritating, but overhauling or replacing the engine below the official mileage limit at my expense is unacceptable to me. I received information from the service center that Honda is currently carrying out a timing belt inspection campaign for these engines.

I regret that the dealer did not notify me about this earlier, perhaps my engine would still be alive. I'm impatiently waiting for the verdict because I personally don't want to pay more for Honda's mistakes.

Edited by Xileno on 10/12/2023 at 09:18

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - RT

Use Google translate into English, please.

Honda Civic 2017 - My rights? - Engine failure - gordonbennet

Could someone who's had the fault confirm exactly which engines are involved please, Honda 1.8 and 2.0 litre VTECs are regarded as virtually indestructible even if foolish owners neglect servicing and never check the oil levels.

Thanks SLO for your warnings about the 1.0 litre, i dare say most regulars here wouldn't touch a wet belt drive engine with a barge pole whoever made it, but would be good to have some confirmation from those experiencing such failures exactly which engines they have.

No update. Very frustrating as Honda now admitting that there is an issue.