Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - SJMcG

Got the painful job (for me) of buying a used family car and I'm heading to Car Giant tomorrow to see what they have.

Been looking at a few models on their website and did some tax and mot checks in advance. Quite a few of the cars seem to have been untaxed for some time, anything from a couple of months to 9 months of those I've spotted. They're mostly 2017 models give or take a year.

Just wondered if anyone was aware of a reasonable explanation for this, or if it's something to be concerned about on those models as it suggests they've not been driven for some time?? Would you steer clear, or could it perhaps be explained as a returned leased car and covid making it difficult to move cars on??

I haven't bought a car for 6 years, so any tips to stop me getting a dud would be appreciated!

Thanks,
Sam

Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - movilogo

I bought a car once which sat in dealership for 6 months. It ran without any trouble for years.
I would not discard a car only because it did not run for few months.

In my case, the car was in warranty period though so I had a fallback in case of any issue.

Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - badbusdriver

Quite a few of the cars seem to have been untaxed for some time, anything from a couple of months to 9 months of those I've spotted. They're mostly 2017 models give or take a year.

Just wondered if anyone was aware of a reasonable explanation for this

?

Covid.

Thought most folk were aware of it!.

Edited by badbusdriver on 20/04/2021 at 11:54

Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - catsdad

Yes COVID will be a factor but these are ex-fleet cars so there will be a few weeks while they are taken off fleet and moved out into the auction and other trade sale routes then out to sales sites. The Golf I bought in late 2019 (pre COVID) had been untaxed for nearly three months.

Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - SJMcG

OK, thanks for the feedback.

Don't think any of the cars I'm looking at will still have the manufacturers warranty, unless I get lucky with a Kia maybe, but good to know it's not a red flag.

Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - _

Don't think any of the cars I'm looking at will still have the manufacturers warranty, unless I get lucky with a Kia maybe, but good to know it's not a red flag.

If you want to be sure of the Kia warranty, check that the car has had annual inspections, (year one) etc and oil services as rquired.

Kia servicing is annually, exact requirements depending on mileage, so be careful.

Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - Electric Leaper

I handed my previous Jaguar XF back after the PCP ended on the 9th March (this was the date I notified DVLA I no longer owned the car and therefore the date the car was untaxed from). The car is still tracked through the app, so could see it's whereabouts.

From the 9th - 29th March the car sat at the BCA compound.

On 29th March the car travelled to a Jaguar dealership for resale, where it currently is. The car will remain untaxed until it's sold, which could take a few months.

Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - Wee Willie Winkie

In August of last year I sold my 2017 Skoda Octavia vRS to WBAC. It's still showing as untaxed now, with the MoT expiry date of this July still showing. I guess it must be say in a field somewhere; it's not on AT as far as I can see.

Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - Electric Leaper
It could also have been exported. A previous company car that was 3 and a half years old has never been taxed or MOT’d since I gave it back to the leasing company so can only assume it was exported.
Long Untaxed Cars - Car Giant - Wee Willie Winkie

Well there you go! I've just checked and it has an export marker against it. I hope it's enjoying its new life wherever it is...