Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - mcb100

I've just been offered a Volkswagen Fox for a hopefully soon to be full licence holding daughter, not a car I'd previously considered.

It's group 1 insurance, a clean MOT history, four good tyres and it's going to be somewhere in the region of £800-£1000, so not the gamble of a lifetime.

It's a 1.2 n/a three cylinder engine about which I know nothing, apart from the fact it's done 120,000+ miles - it was brought into a main dealership as a part exchange and was too nice to auction so it's being used by the service department as a runaround.

Are there any known issues on this little motor, beyond the deterioration that will occur with age?

Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - elekie&a/c doctor
The only real issue with these is the engine . The 1.2 3 cylinder motors are notorious for timing chain failure and burnt exhaust valves. However, if it’s done 120k , these issues may have already been fixed . Something else worth checking , is the dash digital display. Very common to fail or not show clearly. Not a major worry at this age .
Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - skidpan
The only real issue with these is the engine . The 1.2 3 cylinder motors are notorious for timing chain failure and burnt exhaust valves.

Have heard about this issue but a mate of mine bought one in about 2009 (during scrappage) and has had no issues. Its done about 60,000 miles.

I drove one in 2003 in a Polo (uncle was looking at buying one) and found it to be a thoroughly hateful engine. Very noisy, very slow. Persuaded him to get the Fiesta 1240 which as well as being better in every respect (not just the engine) was also far cheaper.

I'll be honest, its dynamic qualities don't really matter - it's a cheap car that she can knock the corners off whilst exploring the first year of solo driving.

Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - Steveieb

Based on the old model Honda City and built in Brazil then shipped to Germany for quality checking . These sold for £5750 in 2009 as part of the scrap page scheme.

On reflection the i 10 was a far better car but didn’t have the VW badge.

Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - badbusdriver

I realise this isn't relevant to the OP, but if you must have a Fox, the 1.4 is the better choice. Still not a great car (and not as well built as its predecessor the Lupo), but the 1.4 is more reliable, more powerful (75bhp vs 55bhp), and the difference in insurance groups (group 3 vs group 1) means it wouldn't cost much more to run.

Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - bazza

One of those in our street went to about 150k on the original engine and wasn't treated gently, so if it's going ok now, has a decent mot and some kind of service history, I'd take a chance for a year at 800. Scrap if you get a big issue. But drive it before you buy it and check for noises and misfire

Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - Engineer Andy

4 'good' tyres? Note that 'new' or low worn tyres do not equal 'good quality' per se. Some people, and I suspect a good many car dealers, deliberately fit cheapo Chinese ditchfinders to make a car look better after getting rid of a set of damaged/bald tyres.

Some may also use existing old, but not worn tyres and make them look prettier/newer by coating what you can see with tyre sprays/dressings to make them 'shiny' and appear newer, which is a temporary effect and which will negatively affect grip.

Many of these ditchfinder tyres (great on wear, poor on grip) work very poorly in the wet, never mind in wintry conditions, are noisy but last a long time from a wear perspective. Others will grip well, be quiet (soft compound), but wear very quickly.

I'd always make a note of what tyres they are, their age ( a car barely used [e.g. not driven in months] and sitting outside could get flatspotted/damaged tyres) and condition and then check online to see what they were, cost and reviews. Some tyres may be ones that have been sitting in a tyre dealership for ages unsold and thus may not be in good condition, despite being not worn that much.

Lots of choice of cars, so don't be boxed into going for it just because it looks to be a good deal. Always take your time, do your homework/research first, and get a decent length/time test drive over a vareity of different road types (surfaces/speeds) - pointless if it's just around the block on smooth roads at low speeds.

‘4 'good' tyres? Note that 'new' or low worn tyres do not equal 'good quality' per se. Some people, and I suspect a good many car dealers, deliberately fit cheapo Chinese ditchfinders to make a car look better after getting rid of a set of damaged/bald tyres.’

When I use the word ‘good’, I do use it in a considered fashion in that they are a set of Kumhos, more than good enough for its potential use. I usually have a tyre depth gauge with me, but didn’t on that occasion so a ‘thumb nail test’ showed about 5mm all round. As per my OP, it’s been used as a runaround by the service team, so not likely to have been stood long enough to have flat spotted.

Based on the old model Honda City and built in Brazil

Read this and found it difficult to believe. So checked it on the web.

Based on the PQ24 platform and is related to the Polo Mk 4.

Not related to a Honda City at all but just top be sure I looked on the Honda City webpage and none look at all like the Fox.

Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - daveyK_UK
Most of them have died a death due to timing belt failure
Most of them have died a death due to timing belt failure

That would only affect the 1.4's, the 1.2's had a chain.

Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - joegrundy

At this sort of money (say £1000) I think you have to think a little differently when it comes to used cars. Make/model/mileage/mpg is less important than how the car 'feels', how the seller comes across (private sales), MOT, etc.

For the last 9 months I've run a 2007 Chevrolet Lacetti 1.6 estate, 80k miles, bought for £950 privately, spent about £300 on MOT, full service and new caliper/pads. Does about mid 30s mpg round town, mid 40s on a run. Very comfortable (more than my x-type) very practicably useable, and completely reliable.

For the last 2 years my daughter has been running a 2006 Megane 1.6 hatchback, bought for £450. No issues or expenditure other than normal consumables. Does the job just fine.

neither of these cars would have been first just choice according to reviews, etc. But both have been OK. Maybe not great, but OK. And that can be the case when you buy a new or very recent car for ten times the cost of these.

To the OP - I wouldn't hesitate. It's worth a punt, it's not disastous if if it goes tits up, and it could be a great buy.

Volkswagen Fox - Cheap Car - joegrundy

PS: Neither the Lacetti or the Megane would be cars I would ever have considered. Shows how wrong you can be.