Why are the new mods locking topics? - skidpan

As above.

Its only one poster causing issues so why stop the remainder of members sensibly discussing the issues. It was after all a moderator who started one of the locked topics.

Think we need an explanation of this new censorship.

Why are the new mods locking topics? - _

The which covid vaccine post was started to ask which covid vaccine (did people have.)

it has desended into a slanging (my term) match Xileno and ORB discussed closing the thread a few days before if it continued to descend into a slanging match.

The other post was one year on and has also gone off topic.

That was about the after effects of the infection one year on.

Again it is veering towards personalities and calling people selfish because view are not agreed with.

One persons comment can be another persons perceived insult.

SO,

PLEASE stay polite, everyone.

Why are the new mods locking topics? - _

Thread now unlocked, but please stay polite.

Why are the new mods locking topics? - Xileno

We both felt that the Which Covid Vaccine thread has run its course, having drifting well away from the original question. While that's not unusual and it happens in everyday conversation, we felt that there are such deeply entrenched views on both sides and at times comments were getting a bit too close to being personal.

The other thread was closed temporarily with a view to re-opening it after the two of us mods had discussed it but it's not immediately obvious how to make a thread open again after it's locked - but it's done now.

We are both keen to ensure that threads don't put off members, and encourage people to return, GordonBennett has left and it looks like SLO76 has due to the Ecoboost thread. Hopefully not, as his views on secondhand cars were always a pleasure to read.

We don't encourage discussions about the moderation on the open forums but we will let this run for now as we're not yet set up on the email system, which is the preferred method.

Why are the new mods locking topics? - Engineer Andy

The problem, in my view, is that some backroomers believe that only their opinion is allowed because they believe no other is justified, an must be either bonkers and/or extremist in nature, and thus the person espousing or agreeing with that view also must be as a consequence.

It's also why they ask them to prove their side, but never offer any of their own to prove their accusations. For proper debate to happen, it must go both ways, including acknowledgements when they are definitively shown to be either incorrect or being downright dishonest in what they've previously said.

Note that quoting a report of what someone else has said (but who themselves hasn't given any peer-reviewed hard evidence or that is contradicted by other parties but who are not referred to) is not evidence, but just opinion.

I saw this in the thread about the US elections where certain individuals essentially parroted the comments by many of our newspapers that had been essentially lifted from equivalent US outlets (including TV news), which itself had selectively lifted TV coverage/left other sections out to make what actually happened appear as something completely different - because those meadia outlets had an agenda against those they were talking about. They weren't reporting events as they happened in their entirety.

I would note that those leaving have been on the right side of the political fence, and those engaging in the sort of behaviour that leads to the threads being locked are of the oppsite opinion. Having a different view should not mean that those people should be forced out. If individuals cannot accept that, and want tepid discussions within their own political bubble, then they are more than welcome to set up their own or frequent a forum that is like that.

The whole point of free speech is that we ALL have to accept that not everyone agrees with our views, but has the right under the law to express them, as long as it does not encourage law breaking.

The problem comes - and is (IMHO) the worst aspect of the law (thanks to the Blair government, but kept on the books every since, so the Tories are just as much to blame here) at the moment is that 'offence' online can be construed as not acceptable, but does not define what it is, given that some people appear to be offended by ANY view that is contrary (in any way) to their own.

We should ALL be strongly arguing to our elected representatives for this aspect of the law should be repealed and never return.

I agreee that web forums should be capable of fairly discussing a range of issues - politics and contentious ones included - without difference in opinion turning into outright animosity and campaigns being waged to deliberately undermine individuals/groups on that forum. That is different from gentle humourous mockery between friends and 'opponents' who otherwise respect eachother, but hold differing opinions.

I get it that many of us are currently provberbially 'climbing the walls' due to lockdown fever and want to get back to our normal lives. There's obviously a great deal on that front to be discussed, but what it should do is make us lash out all the time because A feels differently to B in how we approach a problem.

This forum (and website) won't survive if things continue as they have been. I certainly don't want that, given there is very little truely independent journalism going on these days, and debates in forums, whether on newspapers' websites, social media sites or elsewhere barely exists - even before the pandemic - it's just one side ranting against the other.

It is also one of the reasons why I am against the lockdowns and for completely reopening, because not doing so actively discourages in-person discussions, because they are public - encouraging better behaviour and also because people not doing so cannot hide behind anonymous internet usernames. I suspect a lot of people would not be willing to sacrifice that at the present time.

Thanks for taking the time to read my (long) comments. Enjoy your Easter 'break' - get outside and talk to people. It certainly helps me.

Why are the new mods locking topics? - sammy1

90% of topics go off thread so if you apply this to everyone we would not get very far. To end the which vaccine thread when over 200 comments is bit premature when shortly other vaccines will come on stream. Surely it was one of the most topical threads on hear and could have proceeded to passports if let run. Someone will no doubt start another but all the original will be lost when the history might be relevant.

Someone else has mentioned that there are not that many members on the forum and it is indeed dominated by probably less than ten. It is hardly surprising that the "house of commons" debates occur from time to time

Why are the new mods locking topics? - Xileno

Valid points sammy1 but where discussions sail too close to the line in terms of things getting a bit personal, we have to intervene.

ORB and myself have discussed this and we will re-open the 'which vaccine' thread but for the last time, so it's up to everyone to keep thinks civil.

I will lock this thread now and re-open the other one.