Thieving Brother Inlaw - Gordon the golfer

I sent my car off to a local garage to have some work done. when it came back, we looked under the bonnet and saw a snap on ratchet left on the scuttle panel.

my brother in-law immediately claimed it and said it was his and he was having it. it had the mechanics name engraved on it.

I persuaded him to give it back to the garage but he wasn’t having any of it.

a week later when I met him again, he said he had lost it and its the mechanics fault for leaving it under the bonnet.

as a believer in god and the last day, I felt responsible for what had happened and I went round to the garage to pay for the ratchet.

it turns out, the ratchet belonged to a young college apprentice who had it passed down by his late father, the manager told me that the apprentice had been looking for it everywhere. I offered to pay for a replacement but the apprentice wanted me to try and get his original ratchet back.

I went straight round to my brother in-laws and told him how it was. my brother in-law confessed that he had sold it on Facebook and the buyer had already collected it. he continued to blame the mechanic.

I went and spoke to my wife for advice and to inform her of her thieving brother and surprise surprise, she actually sided with him and let him advertise it on her Facebook. all this time she knew but didn’t tell me.

I called the manager of the garage and told him what had happened and offered to buy a higher quality replacement or even a set. The manager told me that the apprentice doesn’t want a replacement, he wants his late father’s ratchet due to the sentiment.

after thinking about the situation, I feeling helpless, I spoke to the garage manager again who spoke to the boy’s mums about how I could make thinks better.

We decided that I would pay for and clear the apprentices credit account with snap on £293 and buy him a new ratchet from snap on £130.

I went round this morning to the garage and paid the manager both the above amounts. He’s going to clear the apprentices balance and buy the ratchet for the apprentice the next time the snap on van comes round.

I don’t know what to think of everything that has happened. Any advice will be appreciated.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - _

Better of writing to Dear deirdre in the sun newspaper.

Family things are family things.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - Steveieb

Many thanks ORB.

I contacted DD this morning about a problem involving my partners family and received a reply this afternoon.

Cheers

Thieving Brother Inlaw - badbusdriver

Too late now to do anything as you've already dealt with it in a way I'd view as ridiculously Ott.

Any advice would be under the assumption you had a time machine and could go back to looking under the bonnet.

In which case, as it is your car, the first point would be that anything left in your car is either yours, or your responsibility, nowt whatsoever to do with your brother in law.

Also, what your brother in law has done is theft. That isn't my opinion, its the law. If you find something which doesn't belong to you, you have a legal obligation to make a reasonable effort to find the owner and get it back to them. Doing otherwise is basically theft. So I'd have told your brother in law that if he took the ratchet, you were going to inform the police. Actually, thinking about it, you still could inform the police, they can find out from your brother in law who he sold it to, and they can then get it back from the buyer and give it back to its rightful owner. It was after all, stolen property, so the buyer will no choice but to hand it over.

Edited by badbusdriver on 15/03/2021 at 19:52

Thieving Brother Inlaw - nick62

Best course of events (in retrospect), would have been to grab said ratchet first and smacked your BIL round his earhole with it.

Can't abide thieves (petty or otherwise), scum of the earth.

i feel like its my fault and i should have been more firm with my BIL.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - brum

Makes me feel angry/bad too. I can imagine that tool was very special to the poor lad.

You could always try to trace the buyer and appeal to his better side, obviously would need to offer him a bit more than he paid.

You might even consider reporting it to ebay or wherever it was sold as stolen goods

Depends on how it might affect relations. If it were me would also shame him by relating the story to friends and family.

Good on you that you tried your best and made a generous gesture.Pester your BIL to cover your costs.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - bathtub tom

If the apprentice left it under your bonnet, I expect it wouldn't be long before he left it under someone else's.

I think you're over the top for buying anything other than a straight replacement.

You're BIL's a thieving scrote and if he were mine I'd have nothing more to do with him. If he can nick that, then what else is he likely to nick from you? Your wife doesn't seem to be much better!

I like the idea of reporting it to ebay as stolen property, but I doubt if they'd do anything about it.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - Andrew-T

If the apprentice left it under your bonnet, I expect it wouldn't be long before he left it under someone else's.

If the apprentice had got it back, he would probably make sure it didn't happen again !

Thieving Brother Inlaw - barney100

Is it possible to trace the buyer of said tool and buy it back?

Given what your BiL has already done, I reckon it's quite likely he's kept it for himself and the tale about selling it on is an invention. This event may have caused a family rift, but if the pair of them behave like that, perhaps no great loss.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - focussed

When I had a workshop in the UK, my apprentice was always leaving his tools on customer's boats. Most used to turn up to settle their accounts and would return the tools. He also had a habit of losing keys, for boat cabins, engine panel keys, we used to say if we gave him a house brick to hold he would lose it it in 30 minutes!

When he left to go to Greece to work on the charter boats, at his leaving do in a local pub I formally presented him with "The Last Spanner" on a piece of chromed chain and hung it round his neck!.

He went a bit red.

I think you're over the top for buying anything other than a straight replacement.

I completely agree.

It was the apprentice who left the ratchet under your bonnet, that was his fault. It was your brother in law who then stole it, so that is all on him. Neither of those two elements are your fault, at least not directly. Yes, in theory you should have stopped your brother in law taking it from under your bonnet, but we don't know him, maybe you felt he might get aggressive if you tried to stop him?. Buying a replacement ratchet would have been more than generous under the circumstances, and if the apprentice wasn't happy with that arrangement, he should have got the police involved himself to retrieve the stolen ratchet.

I think you have been taken advantage of.

Bear in mind too that the ratchet might have fallen somewhere in the running gear of your car and done some serious damage, maybe even caused you to have an accident.

Edited by badbusdriver on 16/03/2021 at 07:29

<< It was the apprentice who left the ratchet under your bonnet, that was his fault. >>

Way back in the days when there were Minis on our forecourt - about 40 years ago - one of them had some work done at the local BL garage. Soon afterwards I looked under the engine and saw a double-ended ring spanner still on the end of the block. It stayed in my toolbox for some years afterwards.

I can't return it now as that garage, and its successor, has long gone .... :-)

Thieving Brother Inlaw - catsdad

Gordon can I suggest you’d be best to stop beating yourself up over this? The other parties are to blame but you did your best to put matters right. That was an act of kindness. Maybe you were a little too kind but that’s hardly a bad thing is it?

Thieving Brother Inlaw - nellyjak

Gordon can I suggest you’d be best to stop beating yourself up over this? The other parties are to blame but you did your best to put matters right. That was an act of kindness. Maybe you were a little too kind but that’s hardly a bad thing is it?

Agree...not bad thing at all...just time to move on and believe that at some future time your BiL will receive an appropriate payback for his actions.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - thirts

Why didn't you just give your BIL's contact details to the garage and leave it for them to resolve? Obviously informing your BIL that was what you would be doing if he didn't do the right thing.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - galileo

My concern would be with the morals of a wife who sides with a heartless criminal. If she was happy to deceive you about this, what else might she be up to behind your back?

I speak from experience of a deceitful (now ex) wife.

My concern would be with the morals of a wife who sides with a heartless criminal. If she was happy to deceive you about this, what else might she be up to behind your back?

I speak from experience of a deceitful (now ex) wife.

I didn't catch that earlier, when I read the post I had thought it was the brother in laws wife, not the OP's own wife!.

I think it might be best to keep schtum on that particular can of worms.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - Sofa Spud

Reminds me I have a high quality cross-head screwdriver I found on top of our wall-mounted central heating boiler. It must have been left by the gas fitter who repaired the boiler several years previously. Neither me nor my wife could remember the name of the self-employed fitter so it's now in my toolbox!

Reminds me I have a high quality cross-head screwdriver I found on top of our wall-mounted central heating boiler. It must have been left by the gas fitter who repaired the boiler several years previously. Neither me nor my wife could remember the name of the self-employed fitter so it's now in my toolbox!

But regardless of how high quality the screwdriver was, its cost would have been some way short of a £130 Snap-On ratchet!

Thieving Brother Inlaw - concrete

I think the circumstance surrounding the tool and the apprentice are unfortunate. I would find it difficult to blame him not knowing the pressure he may have been under to finish the repair. We have all lost tools etc during our working lives and know how it feels when you reach for a tool that is missing.

My main worry is the behaviour of the BIL and the wife. An appalling way to behave in any event, let alone against a young apprentice. That young man may have benefited from having the tool returned by an honest customer and realised that some people are decent. Now of course he thinks that some are scum bags and he would be correct for the BIL and wife. The OP did a very kind thing, a bit over the top, but as already stated, better too kind than the opposite. A salutary lesson is life for all to think on.

Cheers Concrete

hi guys, just an update. i have spoken to my brother in law about all this again. he says that he sold it on my wifes facebook page so i should speak to her about getting in contact with the buyer and buying it back.

my wife on the other hand is saying she will end up getting in trouble for advertising stolen property on her facebook page and that i should stop trying to make the world a better place and just be 'normal'

i've accepted that i have to draw a line under this as ive hit the end of the road with this.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - galileo

hi guys, just an update. i have spoken to my brother in law about all this again. he says that he sold it on my wifes facebook page so i should speak to her about getting in contact with the buyer and buying it back.

my wife on the other hand is saying she will end up getting in trouble for advertising stolen property on her facebook page and that i should stop trying to make the world a better place and just be 'normal'

i've accepted that i have to draw a line under this as ive hit the end of the road with this.

She deserves to get in trouble, I would never trust her again if I were you.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - nick62

Blood is definitely thicker than water in this case.

Thieving Brother Inlaw - concrete

Pity some of your compassion has not rubbed off on those two. A lesson well learned. Sometimes you just have to accept that you have done all you can and accept the situation when there is no other recourse. Not even God can change the past so you just have to live with this one. Well done for trying. At least the apprentice gained some valuable tools, that is a real positive.

Cheers Concrete