Avant - Stackman II

I am very sorry to relate that Avant, the esteemed moderator of the Backroom, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly at his home in Dorset yesterday.

I have known Avant since he moved to our village about 15 years ago. Although I have been a member of this forum for many years I only discovered Avant's identity a couple of years ago.

He had posted some comments which allowed me to identify him and whilst chatting at a party I asked him about his “secret identity”. He was very self-deprecating about his good work here and I hope I managed to convey how much his work was appreciated.

Unlike many incomers Avant and his wife were very keen to fit in and take part in village life and quickly became part of the fabric of our community.

He was a very talented musician, playing in many village activities including the pantomime and ran the church choir. He played the organ at my daughter's wedding.

Avant will be greatly missed not only by his family but by the community in which he lived and our virtual community here.

RIP Avant.

Avant - FP

Do we know this is genuine?

Edited by FP on 11/03/2021 at 12:15

Avant - Stackman II

I'm sorry but there are no rats to smell.

As I said, we live in a small community and our friends spent most of yesterday with Avant's wife.

I don't know why anybody would post anything as nasty as a joke.

I did e-mail the forum's owners yesterday before placing my post.

Avant - concrete

That is very sad news indeed. There is no reason for us to know the state of health Avant was in but it is a sudden and tragic event. My condolences go out to his wife and family. I and many here really appreciated his excellent work in the forum and he will be greatly missed. We await the response from the powers above and the presumed appointment of a new moderator.

Sadly Concrete

Avant - Xileno

I've posted in the Motoring forum that both forum member ORB and myself were on the cusp of being set up as moderators primarily (but not exclusively) to help out with spam. We only had an email from Avant on Monday evening to confirm a few things before he contacted the IT team to get us set up.

Both ORB and myself have both emailed the editor to confirm we are both still very happy to proceed should that be what the site owners want, if only on a temporary basis until matters are stabilised following the tragic death of Avant.

Edited by Xileno on 11/03/2021 at 15:45

Avant - Engineer Andy

I've posted in the Motoring forum that both forum member ORB and myself were on the cusp of being set up as moderators primarily (but not exclusively) to help out with spam. We only had an email from Avant on Monday evening to confirm a few things before he contacted the IT team to get us set up.

Both ORB and myself have both emailed the editor to confirm we are both still very happy to proceed should that be what the site owners want, if only on a temporary basis until matters are stabilised following the tragic death of Avant.

That's much appreciated.

Avant - FP

I'm sorry if I seemed cynical, but I have plenty of reasons to be distrustful of the internet. I'm afraid I can well believe that someone might post something like this maliciously.

However, I'm happy to accept my suspicions in this case are ill-founded and I apologise if my doubts have caused offence.

Avant - _

I'm sorry if I seemed cynical, but I have plenty of reasons to be distrustful of the internet. I'm afraid I can well believe that someone might post something like this maliciously.

However, I'm happy to accept my suspicions in this case are ill-founded and I apologise if my doubts have caused offence.

I did ask myself the question, but as Xileno above said, it seems a strange coincidence.

Both Xileno and myself have emailed David Ross, who will update asap.

Avant - primus 1

That is very sad news, avant did a superb job on here, especially the unenviable and seemingly never ending spam he had to deal with, his family must be devastated and my thoughts are with them