The joy of EV charging in London. - Trilogy.

Reality. twitter.com/Thecarmagdriver/status/136611722725525...1

The joy of EV charging in London. - Engineer Andy

Indeed - this was why I brought up the issue of charging for the huge number of people who live in flats or terraced housing on other threads on EVs. And this person was 'lucky' to get a parking spot outside their own house, given it is first come, first served.

I've also never worked at a company that had more than 50% of car parking spaces for the number of employees driving to work, and even then they had no space for charging points.

I certainly wouldn't want to leave my car in a public car park a long way from my office when charging.

I do wonder how many kids will walk along streets just pulling the plug out for fun!

The joy of EV charging in London. - Bromptonaut

Right now nobody compelled these people to buy an EV; if they've no means to charge without a lead over the pavement then an ICE car would be better.

OTOH they'd probably park on the pavement anyway and they've taken proper steps to deal with the trip risk if the charging leads.

The joy of EV charging in London. - daveyjp

You can't pull plugs out as they lock in.

The owners ar early adopters probably 'proving a point'. Within 5 years you won't see much roadside charging as batteries and charging capabilities are advancing rapidly.

Latest Hyundai Ioniq 5 has 220kw charging capability, that's 70 miles in 5 minutes, from almost empty to 80% charge, 250 miles or so, in less than 20 minutes.

These improvements are the game changers.

In 2000 there was a suggestion the Internet was a passing fad as the infrasteucture wasn't in place and it was too expensive to access!

The joy of EV charging in London. - Andrew-T

Latest Hyundai Ioniq 5 has 220kw charging capability, that's 70 miles in 5 minutes, !

Maybe, but not many charging points can match that - certainly not many domestic ones.

The joy of EV charging in London. - Terry W

Domestic charging points need not be superfast - if charging is normally overnight (cheap rates?) 8-10 hours empty to full is not be a problem. Same for charging points at work.

Supermarkets are already equipping their car parks witth charging points where 45-60 minutes for a fairly full chage will become the norm. This may take a little time to properly roll out as (say) 20 fast rate charging bays in a supermarket car park will stress electrical infrastructure.

They will provide charging points for precisely the same reason that they currently provide petrol and diesel usually at very competitive prices - to get people in store for their weekly shop. Those that don't have charging facilities will lose customers.

The joy of EV charging in London. - dan86

Domestic charging points need not be superfast - if charging is normally overnight (cheap rates?) 8-10 hours empty to full is not be a problem. Same for charging points at work.

Supermarkets are already equipping their car parks witth charging points where 45-60 minutes for a fairly full chage will become the norm. This may take a little time to properly roll out as (say) 20 fast rate charging bays in a supermarket car park will stress electrical infrastructure.

They will provide charging points for precisely the same reason that they currently provide petrol and diesel usually at very competitive prices - to get people in store for their weekly shop. Those that don't have charging facilities will lose customers.

A lot of Lidl car parks are having or have had chargers installed

Yes, that's obvious, Terry. But I suspect occupying a 'work' charging point for hours may not often be possible either.

The joy of EV charging in London. - JonestHon

I think he means that EV's of the future will 'fuel up' in filling stations as ICE do, though I am sure who ever is in the sit of power will tax this filling stations electricity to the hilts making it as costly as petrol.

The joy of EV charging in London. - Bolt

The owners ar early adopters probably 'proving a point'. Within 5 years you won't see much roadside charging as batteries and charging capabilities are advancing rapidly.

Latest Hyundai Ioniq 5 has 220kw charging capability, that's 70 miles in 5 minutes, from almost empty to 80% charge, 250 miles or so, in less than 20 minutes.

In 2000 there was a suggestion the Internet was a passing fad as the infrasteucture wasn't in place and it was too expensive to access!

You would be surprised the damage kids can do in broad daylight.

And i think solid state batteries will charge faster once they get going on cars also giving longer range!

The joy of EV charging in London. - Ethan Edwards

Do you think that EVs will mean more front gardens get changed to provide parking and charging?

Do you think that EVs will mean more front gardens get changed to provide parking and charging?

Not many left around London to alter, but could be a problem for those with several cars with no room on garden, so maybe street lamps would be converted to charging systems also bollards could be as well?

.... maybe street lamps would be converted to charging systems also bollards could be as well?

Bolt, you may be assuming a rather high level of law abiding. Having vehicles attached umbilically to street furniture is a whole new thing. The nearest I can think of is padlocking a bike to a lamp-post. Some minds might find them tempting, as well as some who can't find another charging point free.

.... maybe street lamps would be converted to charging systems also bollards could be as well?

Bolt, you may be assuming a rather high level of law abiding. Having vehicles attached umbilically to street furniture is a whole new thing. The nearest I can think of is padlocking a bike to a lamp-post. Some minds might find them tempting, as well as some who can't find another charging point free.

I was imagining while typing, how many people would find tails left in the car socket after a night of thieving cables from chargers, if some will take from railway lines, they won`t have a problem with charging cables

if we dont have room for chargers/cars, as there will be a lot of cars to charge, I can imagine lamp post charging and street bollards being used for chargers, what a sight

The joy of EV charging in London. - Manatee

Even at a minute for every 10 miles or so, a phenomenal rate of charge, you're still going to be hanging around and blocking the charge point for maybe half an hour for a "fill up". Those who can will charge when parked overnight at home or possibly at a workplace, surely?

Even that has massive implications for generating capacity and cabling. A normal house supply is 100A, about 25kW total at domestic voltage. Many older ones are probably lower. 220kW charging implies closer to 1000A at 230V so we won't be seeing such rapid charging at home, and where it is available I would expect to be paying more than the domestic price for electricity, even ignoring any fuel tax.

Lots that we take for granted will change eventually I think. Perhaps fewer people will own their own cars. Clever electric cars could charge themselves up, if necessary taking themselves off in the night to a charging station to do it. Those left plugged in at home could become part of a load-spreading pool, at times returning electricity on loan to the grid Your car for the day, when required, could deliver itself to your house to collect you.

The joy of EV charging in London. - RT

Even at a minute for every 10 miles or so, a phenomenal rate of charge, you're still going to be hanging around and blocking the charge point for maybe half an hour for a "fill up". Those who can will charge when parked overnight at home or possibly at a workplace, surely?

Even that has massive implications for generating capacity and cabling. A normal house supply is 100A, about 25kW total at domestic voltage. Many older ones are probably lower. 220kW charging implies closer to 1000A at 230V so we won't be seeing such rapid charging at home, and where it is available I would expect to be paying more than the domestic price for electricity, even ignoring any fuel tax.

Rapid charging causes more battery deterioration than slow charging so EV owners will do best by slow charging at home overnight and only rapid charging when necessary on longer journeys

Thanks for the telling me they lock in.

I do wonder how people manage without a petrol pump at home.

The joy of EV charging in London. - badbusdriver

Looking at the pics on the first post, that is something I've thought about at my current house. I don't have off street parking, and I actually use a contraption like that when filling the water tank in my van for the next days work. But that only takes 20-30 mins, not sure I'd be comfortable leaving a set up like that overnight. Though my concerns were not so much about kids unplugging it, but more about the cable/hose cover being removed then someone tripping over and injuring themselves (whether genuine or not).

But I have also thought about the possibility of having a channel cut in the pavement to run a cable through to the road, maybe a heavy cast iron cover for the channel?. Not sure about the legal aspects though.

The joy of EV charging in London. - skidpan

But I have also thought about the possibility of having a channel cut in the pavement to run a cable through to the road, maybe a heavy cast iron cover for the channel?. Not sure about the legal aspects though.

That would need council/highways approval and they would specify a list of approved contractors to choose from. Like a footpath crossing its not simply DIY.

Local to us the owner of a Zoe has no off street parking but is fortunate enough to have a street lamp just outside. I have seen the charge cable fixed to the lamp at a height its possible for pedestrians to walk under with no issues.

No doubt there are people who simply steal power from a lamp post if they are brave enough/ stupid enough etc. You would only get the slow charge rate but for us that is fine.

Edited by skidpan on 01/03/2021 at 10:34

The joy of EV charging in London. - focussed

Thanks for the telling me they lock in.

I do wonder how people manage without a petrol pump at home.

If they want or need to they can fill a petrol can at a petrol pump and take it home with them.

As far as I know you can't do that with elecktrickery!

The joy of EV charging in London. - barney100

What if you live on double red lines?

The joy of EV charging in London. - barney100

Diesels were for years throwing all sorts out of the tailpipe, you often saw clouds of smoke from exhausts. Modern diesels have add blue, catalytic convertors and the mot is quite strict on emissions so what do we do....make plans to stop selling them. Doing only local journeys an EV would do the job, but I often go on q long trips and the faff of finding chargers and the ache of range anxiety puts me off. Also when the time comes to px your ev how much has the battery degraded....who wants to buy an EV with a battery with a curtailed range? In the summer we are doing Hampshire to Oban, three adults, one dog and the usual luggage etc. Doing that in a little Renault EV does not appeal.

The joy of EV charging in London. - RGCRob

Indeed - this was why I brought up the issue of charging for the huge number of people who live in flats or terraced housing on other threads on EVs. And this person was 'lucky' to get a parking spot outside their own house, given it is first come, first served.

I've also never worked at a company that had more than 50% of car parking spaces for the number of employees driving to work, and even then they had no space for charging points.

I certainly wouldn't want to leave my car in a public car park a long way from my office when charging.

This is definitely one of the core issues with EVs going forward. Everyone focuses on range etc but the reality is if/when EVs get to even equal market share with ICE, charging vehicles safely and securely - especially at work - is going to be the real conundrum.

The joy of EV charging in London. - Avant

The people in those pictures would have been so much better off with a Toyota-style hybrid (so-called 'self-charging'). These run on electric power for qute a lot of the time in city driving.

The joy of EV charging in London. - galileo

Looking at this guide to charging the Ioniq the maximum charge rates mentioned are 22Kw, 50 Kw and 150 Kw.

pod-point.com/guides/vehicles/hyundai/2020/ioniq-e...3

One reply above says there is 220 Kw charging for this car, that seems like a high voltage or heavy current, what are the figures for those?

Edited by galileo on 01/03/2021 at 11:23

Ioniq 5, not Ioniq.

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/ioniq5

The joy of EV charging in London. - galileo

Ioniq 5, not Ioniq.

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/ioniq5

So 800V battery, interesting!

So 800V battery, interesting!

Not an 800V battery, it is the electrical system in the car. That is what the Porsche Taycan (and presumably the imminent new Audi based on it) uses. Under optimum condition conditions (according to the Porsche website) 6 mins is enough to give you 100km of range.

But of course, at the moment, there are only a handful of chargers in the country capable of delivering electricity at that rate.

The joy of EV charging in London. - brum

So, if someone gets injured, say by tripping over a cable or a DIY cover, who is liable?

Does car or house insurance cover such liability, I doubt it.

Is it legal to place a cable like that in a public area. No warning signs, no safety barriers, or diverted pedestrian ways as would be required if a contractor was doing something that put obstacles in the footpath. I wonder if many people even use an RCD safety device, possibly just plug it into a wall plug in the front room and hang the lead out the window. Not sure that lead or connector is safe when it rains, which eventually will get damaged, get dirty and lie in a pool of water.

Im surprised that cars are even allowed to park like that, but maybe thats what the painted dashes are for. Must be a nightmare for pedestrians, particularly the old and infirm and those with baby buggies/prams, or when its dark.

Ae

Edited by brum on 01/03/2021 at 14:07

Its obstruction of the highway and therefore lies with Local Authority or police to enforce.

The joy of EV charging in London. - movilogo

What benefits consumers get from EV?

• They cost lot to buy.
  • They take too long to fill up their tanks.
  • They lose a lot on depreciation.
  • Plugging it every night at home/office/supermarket etc. is a faff

For someone doing 10k miles a year, how much is the savings on running cost over ICE?

Unless someone wants to make a statement on environment etc, what is the real benefit of getting EV?

The joy of EV charging in London. - madf

What benefits consumers get from EV?

• They cost lot to buy.

For someone doing 10k miles a year, how much is the savings on running cost over ICE?

Unless someone wants to make a statement on environment etc, what is the real benefit of getting EV?

AT present you can bask in a warm glow knowing you are greener and better off than teh plebs driving ICE cars.

That glow is worth a lot of money in some circles.

Thing is, when these sort of statements get bandied about, it invariably is from the point of someone who steadfastly refuses to see any benefits to EV's, looking at them purely from a 'glass half empty' perspective.

• They cost lot to buy.

Take this for example, if you compare something basic, like a Dacia Sandero, to a Renault Zoe, the difference in price is huge. But if you compare the Zoe to an Audi A1, not so much. Cheapest Zoe is just over £20k, cheapest A1 is just under.

And here, if you have off street parking and are not doing a long journey, how long it takes to recharge is irrelevant. You'll be sitting in your favourite chair watching TV, rather than on a smelly forecourt standing in the wind and rain catching hypothermia. And if you have off street parking, I'm not sure why you feel plugging it in is any more a faff than plugging in your phone charger?.

Most cars lose a lot on depreciation, fact of life. Some EV's may currently lose more than an equivalent ICE car, though I would need to see figures confirming this rather than relying on assumptions by someone who clearly doesn't like EV's. But either way, as EV's become more commonplace, that situation is unlikely to remain the case.

In Car Magazine they have started using an energy cost per mile figure, so an EV's running costs can be compared directly with fuel cost of an ICE car. Can't compare to something directly equivalent, as they don't currently have such a car on the long term fleet. But the Zoe they are running has an energy cost figure of 3.1p per mile (that is not the manufacturers figure, but what it is actually costing). As I said, nothing else which could be considered a direct competitor, but here are a few other cars they are running;

Skoda Octavia 2.0TDI - 13.8p per mile.

Mazda 3 (Skyactiv-X) - 14.3p per mile.

Landrover Discovery D240 - 21.6p per mile.

Ford Focus ST - 22.9p per mile.

Vauxhall Grandland X PHEV - 5.8p per mile.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/03/2021 at 16:24

And here, if you have off street parking and are not doing a long journey, how long it takes to recharge is irrelevant.

Even if only 10% of journeys are long, it negates any benefit of having EV as only car in family.

At present, I feel EV is good as 2nd car doing short local journeys but not as only car.

Outside of London, I am yet to see anyone having EV as their only car (i.e. no other ICE car in same household). In London it is viable as you have a good public transport as fallback.

Edited by movilogo on 01/03/2021 at 16:35

Even if only 10% of journeys are long, it negates any benefit of having EV as only car in family.

At present, I feel EV is good as 2nd car doing short local journeys but not as only car.

With all respect, I think that is nonsense. You can buy a Tesla Model 3 with a 350 mile range. Other than a travelling salesman, who wouldn't be able to make that work as an only car?. Even the Renault Zoe I mentioned has a range of over 200 miles. Personally, if I had offstreet parking, I could easily make that work as our only car. At the moment, cars like the Honda E, Mazda MX-30, and Mini Electric are not viable to most folk as an only car because of the limited range and limited charging infrastructure. With much more public chargers available, I reckon I could also make a Honda E work as an only car.

Outside of London, I am yet to see anyone having EV as their only car (i.e. no other ICE car in same household). In London it is viable as you have a good public transport as fallback.

And how many people living outside (or even in) London, do you know well enough to be aware of how many cars they have?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 01/03/2021 at 17:44

You can buy a Tesla Model 3 with a 350 mile range. Other than a travelling salesman, who wouldn't be able to make that work as an only car?.

You are not getting my point. Something can be done does not mean it should be done. It can go 350 miles. But I can fill up a ICE car for another 400 miles range in 5 minutes. EV can't match that convenience. For me waiting hours for chargng full range is an inconvenience

If I need to start a 200 mile journey with ICE car when fuel warning light is lit, I can fill up in 5 minutes and then I'm off. There could be an emergency where I can't wait hours to charge my car.

EV journey requires lot of planning. I know 2 of my friends who bought EV but because of range anxiety they sold it after few months.

Charging time for EV is too long. If something can be done in 5 minutes but I have to wait 15 minutes I consider it waste of time.

If EV comes with replaceable battery where you drive to charging station and swap battery in few minutes, then I shall look forward to EVs.

It has got to the stage where it matters not what individuals think about the merits or otherwise of EVs. Government policy is clearly going down the EV route, and manufacturers are clearly following.

• for the next few years you can buy an ICE - but very soon they will become all but unsaleable (apart from specialist vehicles) on the S/H market
  • range, charging points, charging time, cost etc of EVs is still rapidly improving. ICE is mature technology at the end of its time in the sun.
  • most doing an average mileage need to recharge once or twice a week, not daily
  • they may not yet be a sensible s/h purchase, but the passing of time will make EVs available to an increasingly wider audience.

It's quite possible in 5-10 years time ICE will be restricted in cities, petrol stations will slowly become more scarce, and ICE drivers will be seem as the dinosaurs of the personal transport world.

It has got to the stage where it matters not what individuals think about the merits or otherwise of EVs. Government policy is clearly going down the EV route, and manufacturers are clearly following.

• for the next few years you can buy an ICE - but very soon they will become all but unsaleable (apart from specialist vehicles) on the S/H market
  • range, charging points, charging time, cost etc of EVs is still rapidly improving. ICE is mature technology at the end of its time in the sun.
  • most doing an average mileage need to recharge once or twice a week, not daily
  • they may not yet be a sensible s/h purchase, but the passing of time will make EVs available to an increasingly wider audience.

It's quite possible in 5-10 years time ICE will be restricted in cities, petrol stations will slowly become more scarce, and ICE drivers will be seem as the dinosaurs of the personal transport world.

IC cars WON'T become unsaleable until EVs become the no-brainer choice - we've yet to see an EV that's capable of hauling a load or pulling a trailer/caravan over long distances - EVs will improve but the future's not here yet.

If EV comes with replaceable battery where you drive to charging station and swap battery in few minutes, then I shall look forward to EVs.

Doubt you will need to due to new battery tech replacing current tech, solid state appears to be coming on rather well at the moment with longer range-possibly doubled and charging times improved as well to the point a full charge could be achieved in 20 minutes

battery tech is coming on thick and fast now, which will assist in safer batteries with less chance of fires and shorts as present batteries are prone to....

The joy of EV charging in London. - Xileno

This is one of the reasons why I have not gone electric, the rate of battery progress is so fast that whatever one buys, there will be something better soon afterwards. The Tesla Model 3 would be perfect for me but the lack of a Tesla dealer nearby is a disincentive. The Zoe is a possibility but I don't like the look of it. The Renault 5 e-Tech or whatever it's called is a serious contender as it just looks amazing but it's not for sale yet.

The joy of EV charging in London. - Steveieb
James May who led the way with a BMW i3 hybrid with extender has jumped straight to a Toyota
Mirai hydrogen car. At £66 k and £60 fuel costs for a range of 300 miles it's not going to get many takers. Especially as there are only 12 filling stations and six of those in the south east. Elon Musk called them "fool cells" but he would !
Impressively quiet and superbly built have Toyota once more demonstrated their ingenuity in bringing us the future today and maybe this is the leap we should be taking and forget all the problems with bulky and environmentally damaging batteries.
James May who led the way with a BMW i3 hybrid with extender has jumped straight to a Toyota Mirai hydrogen car. At £66 k and £60 fuel costs for a range of 300 miles it's not going to get many takers. Especially as there are only 12 filling stations and six of those in the south east. Elon Musk called them "fool cells" but he would ! Impressively quiet and superbly built have Toyota once more demonstrated their ingenuity in bringing us the future today and maybe this is the leap we should be taking and forget all the problems with bulky and environmentally damaging batteries.

Toyota are working on the solid state battery and perfecting it as they usually do, so may not be long before we see them in use

They also intend with help making hydrogen stations which at the moment as mentioned are few, that doesn`t stop progress and as I said before some factories will be producing on site for HGVs which I think the Government is helping out with, and as more stations become available more cars can use it, and its green

I am getting your point just fine, that isn't the problem. The problem is that what you are saying is just your opinion, but you seem to be assuming that it is fact, and that everyone else shares (or should) the same view.

You are not getting my point. Something can be done does not mean it should be done.It can go 350 miles. But I can fill up a ICE car for another 400 miles range in 5 minutes. EV can't match that convenience. For me waiting hours for chargng full range is an inconvenience

Seriously, who is going to be driving 750 miles non stop, or as close to non stop as is possible?.

If, you regularly need to drive 750 miles without stopping for any more time than it takes to fill the tank, I think it is fair to say, EV's are not going to work for you. But the point you seem to be completely missing is that very, very few, other people, would do a run anything like that long, and they certainly wouldn't do it without stopping for a break.

If I need to start a 200 mile journey with ICE car when fuel warning light is lit, I can fill up in 5 minutes and then I'm off.

If you need to start a 200 mile journey in an electric car, unless you are very disorganised, it will be fully charged when you set off. So that is an immediate win for EV.

There could be an emergency where I can't wait hours to charge my car.

This is just clutching at straws now!. Yes, there could be an emergency when your EV is at home with a more or less flat battery, but given the amount of time you spend on the road, surely it is more likely to happen when you are away and can't do anything before spending hours driving home?.

But going back to long journeys. When my Dad still drove, him and Mum would go away on road trips, Mum would be wanting to stop for a toilet break and cuppa well inside 100 miles!. And while they may be at the opposite end of the stamina scale from you, I rather suspect most people would be wanting to stop for a break after no more than 2-3 hours. The furthest I have ever driven in this country (in one day) was Aberdeen to Wigan (around 330 miles), just about do-able in the Tesla non stop. And while, when I was young, I would do this with only a fuel and toilet stop, there is no way I'd manage that these days, nor would I want to. Furthest I'm likely to drive these days would be down to Glasgow to see my son, a journey which is within the Zoe's range.

Here is a good article

www.wired.co.uk/article/electric-cars-uk-buying-gu...e

if you plan to rely on a smaller capacity EV as your only car, and occasionally have to cover long distances, you might want to hold off or even buy a hybrid for now

Hence, I think if we ignore forceful legislation of banning ICE cars, there is no real benefit for average Joe buying EV at present.

The joy of EV charging in London. - sammy1

Jump forward say 10 years the UK population has increased by 3million maybe more. The road structure has probably not changed that much and smart motorways gone. It is August and the UK is at the peak of the holiday season. Just take the M5 to the West Country. How is this artery going to cope with the volume of EVs moving and how are they going to charge to reach their destination and then get home You cannot convince me that there will be enough charging points at Motorway services to cope and if you go off motorway the infrastructure of the country has enough capacity. We have all been in peak traffic jams and I can only see these getting worse Somebody is going to have to Magic one hell of an improvement to battery technology and the way they are charged.

Call me cynical but the end of ICE will probably see the end of a lot of people owning a car with all the impracticalities of running EV

I was a EV-sceptic like you, Movilogo, until quite recently. Relying on an EV as your only car is, as Sir Humphrey said in Yes, Minister, 'very courageous'. And we're still not at the stage, as this thread shows, where pure EVs are a good bet for people parking in the street.

But a great many 'average Joes' have more than one car, as we do, and where possible will be installing home chargers. I think that for us one EV and one ICE car will suit us fine, but I'll keep an open mind and will be honest enough to admit it if I'm wrong.

I suppose if Average Joe or Joanna live on their own, and can't afford or justify two cars for one driver, ICE is still the best bet for now. A PHEV is worth thinking about, but you'd have to be sure that your journeys are mostly short, the particular model is one that holds its value, and ideally you can get a good deal on one as Skidpan has recently on a Superb IV.

Edit - yes, good point, Sammy. But 2030 is nine years away. Think back to nine years ago: how many charging points were there in 2012? I think we'll see a lot of progress.... but if we don't, and your nightmare scenario still looks likely, the next Government after this will no doubt push back the deadline for fear of losing the 2028/29 election by a landslide.

Edited by Avant on 01/03/2021 at 23:16

<< If you need to start a 200 mile journey in an electric car, unless you are very disorganised, it will be fully charged when you set off. So that is an immediate win for EV. >>

You don't score any points with that one, BBD. Any person organised enough to plug in an EV will be equally organised to fill with fuel somewhere instead of plugging in !

You don't score any points with that one, BBD. Any person organised enough to plug in an EV will be equally organised to fill with fuel somewhere instead of plugging in !

Movilogo says, "If I set off on a 20 mile journey and the fuel light is lit.....", which suggests to me it is something which has happened.

Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things because of the short time needed to fill up, so you can 'get away with' being a bit disorganised. You can't with an EV, because of charging time, and because of this you would always make sure that battery was fully charged before you set off.

Here is a good article

www.wired.co.uk/article/electric-cars-uk-buying-gu...e

This is exactly what I am talking about re the glass half empty attitude to EV's. You start off by saying no EV's are suitable for use as an only car. Yet to support this view, you are presenting a link to an article which emphatically does not support that view. Further, you post a statement under the link saying this, "if you plan to rely on a smaller capacity EV as your only car, and occasionally have to cover long distances, you might want to hold off or even buy a hybrid for now". Which, due to the inclusion of the words, small capacity, also does not concur with what you are saying. A Tesla, any Tesla, is not a small capacity EV, Avant's new EV (I forget whether it is a Kia Rio or Hyundai Kona, but they use the same battery pack and motors) is not a small capacity, I don't even think the Renault Zoe would be classed as a small capacity EV with its 215 mile range. A small capacity EV would be something along the lines of a Honda E, Mazda MX-30, and Mini Electric. And nobody, including me, is saying any of those three are currently suitable as an only car.

Edited by badbusdriver on 02/03/2021 at 08:25

I think while we are all very emotional in supporting own arguments, we are forgetting that people's needs and wants are different. For some EV may be good but not for others.

Those who like EVs they will buy EVs and those who are happy with ICEs will continue to use ICEs. Hopefully hybrids will be available for long time and given options, I'd choose hybrid over EV if I have to buy a car today (and pure ICE not available).

It will be also interesting to see if Hydrogen fuel cells or some other technology become mainstream in next 10 years.

The furthest I have ever driven in this country (in one day) was Aberdeen to Wigan (around 330 miles),

We do 4 trips annually of 430 miles, no current electric car will do this with some spare capacity for delays, diversion etc. This makes all currently available EV's unsuitable for us.

But for us the PHEV is a good option, we can make those trips with no issues and the short trips we make to the shops (and hopefully cafes etc in the near future) on electric.

Regarding James May having an electric i3 and now a hydrogen Toyota has no one considered that as a journo he will get the cars on loan for free. Not really a statement of his belief in the technology when he's not paying is it?

With regards to hydrogen, in a recent thread on another forum several posters were insisting that electric will die and hydrogen will take over. There may be some merit in hydrogen cars but with the current network of places to refuel they are simply pointless. Only 13 sites in the UK sell hydrogen, 7 in the SE. 2 in South Wales, 2 in the West Midlands, one in Doncaster and one in Aberdeen. EV's may not have the same coverage as petrol/diesel vehicles but its better than that, substantially. We could do our 430 miles with two stops (possibly one if it was in the right place i.e 1/2 way and the car had enough range) but that would more than double the journey time (with a car that charges at "normal" rates possibly needing overnight accommodation), not really acceptable when we have been doing the trip in about 8 hours (or less) for over 25 years.

As I said, the PHEV will work fine for us.

With regards to hydrogen, in a recent thread on another forum several posters were insisting that electric will die and hydrogen will take over.

IMO they will both play a part and will be down to buyer as to what best suites them, I think as they are doing so much research into HGVs having hydrogen power it will come to cars as well

The average annual UK mileage is below 10,000 miles - approx 200 miles per week.

Very few motorists make journeys of over 100 miles.

The charging infrastructure is growing rapidly. In a free market this will increase (broadly) to match demand with charging points in supermarkets, hotels, car parks, work places etc..

It is entirely possible to run a single EV with a range of (say) 200 miles and never have a problem. If occassionally a longer journey is needed, a car hire is possible.

For a few, charging times and availability of charging points may be a real issue based on current technology. They are free to run ICE - although by the late 2020s the choice of new vehicles will be limited. By the mid 2030s, ICE will be an outdated technology.

The average annual UK mileage is below 10,000 miles - approx 200 miles per week.

Very few motorists make journeys of over 100 miles.

The charging infrastructure is growing rapidly. In a free market this will increase (broadly) to match demand with charging points in supermarkets, hotels, car parks, work places etc..

It is entirely possible to run a single EV with a range of (say) 200 miles and never have a problem. If occassionally a longer journey is needed, a car hire is possible.

For a few, charging times and availability of charging points may be a real issue based on current technology. They are free to run ICE - although by the late 2020s the choice of new vehicles will be limited. By the mid 2030s, ICE will be an outdated technology.

It can't be done on averages as everyone has a significant variation - the concept of car hire for longer journeys is a cop out - many people drive through the continent for their holiday, can you image the cost of a hire car for that!.

I can replace some of my trips with a restricted range car, but frankly a second-hand IC city car makes more sense as a second car than trying to do it all with a single EV.

It is at the moment but after 2030 all hire cars will be electric as well.

But have you seen the price of hire cars? Last time we looked the cost for 10 days hire twice a year for a Superb sized car (we were considering the holiday hire option and run 2 smaller cars) is about £450 each time. twice a year for 4 years its £3600 plus any price increases.

That soon wipes out any saving you would make.

It can't be done on averages as everyone has a significant variation - the concept of car hire for longer journeys is a cop out - many people drive through the continent for their holiday, can you image the cost of a hire car for that!.

No, they really don't. Some do, no question, but the notion that everyone does is absurd. Same with driving through the continent on holiday. Yes, clearly some do, but I'd bet my house that far more folk don't than do.

Those who are advocating use of EVs, can you please explain in 1-2 sentences what are benefits of EVs to common public?

Please exclude following as benefit

1. No option of ICE after 2030

2. Good for environment

It is a genuine question, I would like to know why an average Joe needs EV now.

The joy of EV charging in London. - Bromptonaut

Those who are advocating use of EVs, can you please explain in 1-2 sentences what are benefits of EVs to common public?

2. Good for environment

Given that 1 is a fait accompli I can see why one might exclude it but 2 seems reasonable enough. The facts on EV pollution at manufacture or in use are not agreed.

The joy of EV charging in London. - alan1302

2. Good for environment

I don't think the average Joe does need an EV at the moment. In time as costs come down, range improves and charging times decrease more and more people will be interested due to the cost savings in having no petrol/diesel costs, the fact that you get a good/quick car, more reliable as less to go wrong.

The joy of EV charging in London. - Ethan Edwards

That's not true. No NEW cars after 2030 sure. But used cars? My existing car? Good luck trying to stop those.

That's not true. No NEW cars after 2030 sure. But used cars? My existing car? Good luck trying to stop those.

No need to stop them. Either increase taxes on petrol - likely.

OR:

with investment in oil expoloration and production being cut back whilst oil demand is growing, some time in teh next years oil prices will do what happens when demand excedes supply: explode.

Either will ensure ICE cars become impossibly espensive to run vs EVs.

Simples. :-)

The joy of EV charging in London. - Alby Back
Your perception might be a bit of a function of where you live BBD. I can see that it may not be much of a thing if you live in NE Scotland, but the further south you go, the more common it is to take your car across the channel. Certainly I do it regularly, as do many family members, friends, neighbours and colleagues.

Between just Dover Port and the Eurotunnel, there are 4.8 million channel crossings of cars per year under "normal" circumstances, and of course there are a number of other routes.

Dover and Eurotunnel are the largest cross channel operations - assume others increase total car crossings to 6m.

Each crossing normally involves a return - approx 3m cars do the return crossing each year.

Of those 3m some are Europeans visiting the UK - so assume UK vehicles account for 2m crossings each year.

Some of these do multiple trips - so the number of individual vehecles is ~1.5m

There are 33m cars in the UK

So around 4% of cars cross the channel each year.

Toyota ready to unveil solid-state battery EV in 2021 | Autoblog

They are investing a lot in Hydrogen as well. sorry if you`ve seen this before

Toyota ready to unveil solid-state battery EV in 2021 | Autoblog

They are investing a lot in Hydrogen as well. sorry if you`ve seen this before

I know it's a US magazine.. but it says "It's estimated that a solid-state car could have a range of 1000 kilometers (621 miles) and take 10 minutes to charge"

So let's assume a 50KW battery can be charged in 10 minutes: that's a 300KWH feed.

I would imagine the Texas grid would melt as would the UK one with say 1,000,000 cars all charging at once - say in London before a Bank Holday weekend 30GW load

Current load as I write 42GW.

The joy of EV charging in London. - Steveieb

Has anyone mentioned depreciation?

I know that Prius values fall off the edge of a cliff after five years as many councils will not allow their use at this age.

land my neighbours i8 which cost 120k new is now valued at 75 k after two years!

I know that Prius values fall off the edge of a cliff after five years as many councils will not allow their use at this age.

land my neighbours i8 which cost 120k new is now valued at 75 k after two years!

When I did my research before buying the Superb PHEV all the predictions I found (and I know they are only predictions) suggested hybrids/EV's will retain a higher percentage than ICE cars over 3 years. A quick look at several cars that have been on sale 3 years or longer confirmed this.

I presume with regards to your Prius comment above you are referring to cars used as licenced Taxis, Councils cannot tell citizens what cars they can use. Round these parts there are several Prius's that are from 2008 approx and are still in service.

But even if Taxis cannot use them there will still be a demand when the batteries have a 15 year warranty if the cars have an annual health check.

All cars like the i8 (with the exception of Porches) tend to bomb after a couple of years so its no surprise. When we were at the BMW dealer in Lincoln back in October they had a brand new one with a £40000 discount so if your neighbour payed full list they clearly did not do any research.

Just had a look on Autotrader - 2016 "proper" Prius go for around £12-15k with a normal mileage. Fairly normal depreciation!

There are also plenty of ex-taxis going for a lot less with mega mileages and imports with no original manufacturing date.

The joy of EV charging in London. - focussed

Just had a look on Autotrader - 2016 "proper" Prius go for around £12-15k with a normal mileage. Fairly normal depreciation!

There are also plenty of ex-taxis going for a lot less with mega mileages and imports with no original manufacturing date.

Every vehicle has a VIN number. Embedded within that number is a year code letter for year of manufacture.

support.alldata.com/alldata-repair-online-article/...t

That is no more than typical depreciation for a car of that price, so you can't blame it on the i8 being a hybrid.

On Autotrader right now there is a top of the range 2019, 15k miles, Merc S Class for £124k. It cost £165k new. Also a 2019, 5k miles Bentley Continental for just under £130k. It would have cost just under £200k new.

Really?. On Autotrader the price of a 2017 Prius ranges from £7995-£17490. The price of a 2015 Prius ranges from £7250-£13295. Which doesn't suggest a big drop in value between 4 and 6 years old. Also, which councils ban the use of a Prius once over 5 years old?.

Edited by badbusdriver on 04/03/2021 at 12:03

I wonder when all brands start manufacturing EVs, how will public differentiate between brands?

Currently there some perceptions (not necessarily always factually correct) that Toyota is reliable, PSA unreliable, BMW flashy etc.

I may be wrong, but I think current public perception about EV is that Tesla is better than others (even though Tesla has lots of reliability issues).

Will manufacturers be able to translate their ICE success into EV or EV will re-calibrate public perception about existing brands?

Things may not change that much. For example, Toyota hybrids are complex pieces of machinery, but they're just as reliable as other Toyotas (hence the Prius holding its value).

On the other hand, VW have been pushing out ID-3s before the software has been fully developed and tested. Not content wth that, they've started using similarly incompetent software in the new Golf and Octavia.

I'm sure that the makers who developed their ICE cars properly will do the same with EVs. Those that didn't, wont.

Not content wth that, they've started using similarly incompetent software in the new Golf and Octavia

Evidence please. VAG have been selling the PHEV Passat and Golf since about 2014 and never read about this "incompetent" software before. Surely the Superb has the same software as well and as above never read about any issues with them.

Evidence please. VAG have been selling the PHEV Passat and Golf since about 2014 and never read about this "incompetent" software before. Surely the Superb has the same software as well and as above never read about any issues with them.

Well you wouldn't, as the issues do not affect cars from before the ID.3. The problems seem to centre around the ID.3, and new cars from around the same time with the same software, like the 8th gen Golf and, presumably, the new Octavia. VAG cars introduced before this would have whatever the previous software system is, including your Superb.

It seems to be the case that in order to avoid fines for 'fleet emissions', the ID.3 was put into production before it was ready. If VAG knew this to be the case, and it is difficult to imagine how they couldn't have been, it is a poor business practice which may yet tarnish their image further than the dieselgate fiasco did. Though I don't doubt for a minute that buyers will still lap up their products.

From around Dec last year, VW was claiming to have fixed the software problems. If that is the case, all well and good for new buyers, but if they haven't?. Also, for buyers who's cars do have problems, given how owners are still suffering from VAG's dieselgate 'fixes', I'd be somewhat lacking in confidence that the software fix, has indeed fixed the software issues.

Well you wouldn't, as the issues do not affect cars from before the ID.3. The problems seem to centre around the ID.3, and new cars from around the same time with the same software, like the 8th gen Golf and, presumably, the new Octavia.

Confused. The ID3 is full electric, the Golf and Octavia (and A3 and Leon) are PHEV or mild hybrid. Totally different drive trains surely. How can they have the same software issues.

Just Googled again and all I can find for the Mk8 Golf was e-call and over the air updates early in 2020, long before the ID3 was introduced. Golf deliveries were stopped whilst the problems were sorted. The Octavia has only just been released so the old issues should not affect it.

How can they have the same software issues

Very easy if they have generic software as it can be programmed to operate different cars with modifications made along the way to sort any bugs or machine faults out.

I've watched reviews of both the ID3 amd ID4 and in both cases there have been issues reported of the infotainment screen freezing and not just a glitch where on/off sorts it, the car has to be switched off and left for an extended period.

Not what should be happening, but VW do appear to use buyers as beta testers.

Regarding Octavia mk4, have a read of Briskoda.net Octavia 4 forums. A number of software /infotainment issues reported ranging from infotainment showing km only (still unresolved iirc) to screens stuck on "please be patient" . So cant control heating etc. Some issues dealers unable to resolve, awaiting solution from factory.

The joys of the Tesla approach.....

The joy of EV charging in London. - daveyK_UK
I was walking through a terrace street area this week, the amount of electric car charges dangling out of windows across the public footpath will create a growing hazard to pavement users.
Also,
My mobile phone is charged without a cable by placing it over a charge pad within my car.

Will this not be an option for cars? Have a charge pad placed on your drive way and drive onto it or place it under the car after you have stopped?
Or better still a charge pad built into the asphalt so no cables on show?

One last thing,
Meet up with a very happy MG 5 electric estate owner.
He can get slightly above 200 miles from a full charge.
Not bad for an electric estate car.
The weather temperature has a significant impact on range; the cold can reduce the range by as much as 10%!
Also, My mobile phone is charged without a cable by placing it over a charge pad within my car. Will this not be an option for cars? Have a charge pad placed on your drive way and drive onto it or place it under the car after you have stopped? Or better still a charge pad built into the asphalt so no cables on show?

I think that is a long way off as the size of coils required to produce the magnetic fields will be very large compared to a mobile phone charger, and its less efficient, ie will take longer to charge than a cable at the moment.

I suspect with tech improving it will change in a few years to assist in charging solid state batteries, though I gather China may use them to charge Buses overnight, though not sure how far they`ve been developed yet?

also solid state is not affected by weather, so maintains its range in any weather so they say?

Edited by bolt on 06/03/2021 at 14:14

Also, My mobile phone is charged without a cable by placing it over a charge pad within my car. Will this not be an option for cars? Have a charge pad placed on your drive way and drive onto it or place it under the car after you have stopped? Or better still a charge pad built into the asphalt so no cables on show?

I think that is a long way off as the size of coils required to produce the magnetic fields will be very large compared to a mobile phone charger, and its less efficient, ie will take longer to charge than a cable at the moment.

I suspect with tech improving it will change in a few years to assist in charging solid state batteries, though I gather China may use them to charge Buses overnight, though not sure how far they`ve been developed yet?

also solid state is not affected by weather, so maintains its range in any weather so they say?

Electric buses are best recharged using a pantograph and overhead cable at their depot and terminus points.

The joy of EV charging in London. - sammy1

I was walking through a terrace street area this week, the amount of electric car charges dangling out of windows across the public footpath will create a growing hazard to pavement users

Nice to know what is going on in the country. I suspect this will become the norm and be ignored by councils and police to the detriment of the old, blind, infirm and the otherwise unobservant on there mobiles

I was walking through a terrace street area this week, the amount of electric car charges dangling out of windows across the public footpath will create a growing hazard to pavement users

Nice to know what is going on in the country. I suspect this will become the norm and be ignored by councils and police to the detriment of the old, blind, infirm and the otherwise unobservant on there mobiles

Just wait till the criminal brigade and the social misfits catch on...

Just wait till the criminal brigade and the social misfits catch on...

The same lot who regularly nick telephone and even power cables from the railways will be pleased - lots of nice free copper, ready and waiting...

On the upside, housebuilders will breathe a sigh of relief that they won't be targeted for their copper pipework so much...

On the upside, housebuilders will breathe a sigh of relief that they won't be targeted for their copper pipework so much...

Don't think many house builders use copper these days except for the last 6 inches below the rads and for the gas service, the rest is plastic. Its cheaper, quicker to install, even a muppet can use it and it has no scrap value.

The joy of EV charging in London. - jc2

And probably kill people with pacemakers!

The same roads had electric charge points built into the lampposts but there is more electric cars than lampposts in some parts of terrace areas in London.
When electric cars really pick up in terms of sales for a sustained period this will be a major problem in terrace streets; it’s not as if you can put a lamppost outside every house nor is it possible to wait for a slow 8 hour charge if you need to use your car in the morning and the chargers are all occupied!
The same roads had electric charge points built into the lampposts but there is more electric cars than lampposts in some parts of terrace areas in London. When electric cars really pick up in terms of sales for a sustained period this will be a major problem in terrace streets; it’s not as if you can put a lamppost outside every house nor is it possible to wait for a slow 8 hour charge if you need to use your car in the morning and the chargers are all occupied!

Even more of a problem if one house is allowed only one charger due to power coming into house which has 2 or 3 cars, which most households have now

It could be - but that kind of charging is more inefficient that a standard cable and with the amount of charge that a car could require then at least for now a proper plugged in cable is a better idea.

It could be - but that kind of charging is more inefficient that a standard cable and with the amount of charge that a car could require then at least for now a proper plugged in cable is a better idea.

Norway is apparently going to start using induction charging on taxi stands and bus routes (though that will take years to install)

Norway will install the world’s first wireless electric car charging stations for Oslo taxis (evconnectors.com)

I wonder if we will take up the idea ??

Edited by bolt on 07/03/2021 at 10:45

Norway is apparently going to start using induction charging on taxi stands and bus routes (though that will take years to install)

Norway will install the world’s first wireless electric car charging stations for Oslo taxis (evconnectors.com)

I expect that we will do (eventually and slowly)

The joy of EV charging in London. - bathtub tom

Remember all the fuss about power lines causing cancer from electro magnetic radiation (EMR) years ago? I think the same argument is still rattling around about mobile phones. Induction charging for vehicles would cause massive EMR at ground level. I'll just wait for the tin-foil hat wearing brigade to protest.

Remember all the fuss about power lines causing cancer from electro magnetic radiation (EMR) years ago? I think the same argument is still rattling around about mobile phones. Induction charging for vehicles would cause massive EMR at ground level. I'll just wait for the tin-foil hat wearing brigade to protest.

I`m sure enough tests will take place to prove them wrong, even if most know not what they talk about anyway, just think they do...

<< I`m sure enough tests will take place to prove them wrong, even if most know not what they talk about anyway, just think they do... >>

I don't doubt the possibility of this method of charging, but I wonder what proportion of the transmitted energy goes into the battery compared to the amount radiated elsewhere ? At least a cable connection puts it all in tank, as it were.

<< I`m sure enough tests will take place to prove them wrong, even if most know not what they talk about anyway, just think they do... >>

I don't doubt the possibility of this method of charging, but I wonder what proportion of the transmitted energy goes into the battery compared to the amount radiated elsewhere ? At least a cable connection puts it all in tank, as it were.

There are losses with cable charging though not sure how much, but no electricity transfer is lossless even though some say there isn't, but due to cable makeup and resistance there is

Just a case of what is acceptable.

There are losses with cable charging though not sure how much, but no electricity transfer is lossless even though some say there isn't, but due to cable makeup and resistance there is

Just a case of what is acceptable.

The energy loss in cable transmission is mostly heat, typically 2-4%, with total losses up to 15%.

<< There are losses with cable charging though not sure how much, but no electricity transfer is lossless even though some say there isn't, but due to cable makeup and resistance there is. Just a case of what is acceptable. >>

The cable loss will happen anyway as power has to get to the inductive transmitter somehow - which has to be under the vehicle, I assume ?

And if charging is to be rapid the cabling must be heavy-duty and as short as feasible, to limit those losses.

I'd be more worried about the cost of installing and maintaining that equipment, given how often roads get dug up to resurface because of usage damage, or to repair/replace/install new pipes and cables.

Such networks would need to be countrywide and on large sections of most roads in every town, village and city for it to be useful to anyone other than taxi drivers.

The problems for people living in flats or terraced housing with limited space/parking means that they would have to be catered for by a very robust system for charging EVs.

I still don't see the obsession in having to have a home charger. After all, we don't need petrol pumps at home. Once it becomes quicker to charge a car at a public charging point home chargers will, for some, be unnecessary.

I still don't see the obsession in having to have a home charger. After all, we don't need petrol pumps at home. Once it becomes quicker to charge a car at a public charging point home chargers will, for some, be unnecessary.

I suppose its down to convenience. Taking your car to a supermarket, local car park and leaving it for a couple of hours might seem OK at first but will there ever be enough public chargers to ensure there is always a point available within say 5 minutes, like there is with a petrol pump.

And don't forget that some of the rates charged at public stations are extortionate compared to the rate you can get at home, we are currently looking at getting a tariff with 5p a minute off peak. That will mean I will get 34 miles (seems to be the summer range) for about £0.50.

Thanks skidpan, I now see the appeal more than I did. I'd rather the future was hybrid rather than EV.

Thanks skidpan, I now see the appeal more than I did. I'd rather the future was hybrid rather than EV.

Hybrid is definitely the only way for us at present with 4 x 430 mile drives a year but who knows what the charging infrastructure will be like by 2030 and what the range of cars will be like by then, things are improving on both fronts all the time.

If the range is not good enough for our needs by 2030 at least hybrids will still be on sale for a period after that (providing they are still made).

Not got batteries in my crystal ball at present but 5 years ago I would never have bought an Hybrid after my experiences in an Auris as a passenger.

The joy of EV charging in London. - veloceman
Can’t see hybrids suited to those who do a lot of long distance driving. Few hybrids can do more than 50 miles on battery alone. On a long trip the ICE is carrying both the dead batteries and the motor too.

Also re charging EVs, we were sold on the fact you could charge up cheaply at night when leccy is plentiful. All efforts are now toward fast charging during the day. Not sure we have the capacity for that.

<< Hybrid is definitely the only way for us at present with 4 x 430 mile drives a year but who knows what the charging infrastructure will be like by 2030 and what the range of cars will be like by then, things are improving on both fronts all the time. If the range is not good enough for our needs by 2030 at least hybrids will still be on sale for a period after that (providing they are still made). >>

We are only starting to find out the actual mpg figures for hybrid cars, and they are only a modest fraction of the manufacturer's figures in most cases. As the big push towards EVs was for environmental reasons, it would be embarrassing to find that the overall gain is negative.

But I suppose that usually happens - with lead additives, switch to diesel, back to petrol, etc .... Trouble is, most people only do financial calculations.

Edited by Andrew-T on 08/03/2021 at 12:45

The problems for people living in flats or terraced housing with limited space/parking means that they would have to be catered for by a very robust system for charging EVs.

Judging by what a sparky told me, if the property has a linked mains with another Flat/house they will only be able to have one charging point each due to regulations

Maybe someone with more knowledge could give more info on this, as it appears that those with more than one EV may not be able to charge at home unless the process is speeded up?

I believe a standard domestic house electric feed to be either 15kW (60A fused) or 25kW (100A fused) - single phase.

Not sure what a flat or other shared premises would be, but could be you have to share 15 or 25kW with your neighbour.

So if you are a 2 or 3 car household.....

You could pay to have a 3 phase feed which I think doubles the capacity, but if it involves digging up the road on your estate I imagine the cost would be eye watering

I can't understand lamp post charging, surely existing lamposts only require 100w or so for the lamp and I would imagine a string of existing lamposts would have appropriately light current feeds. Imagine the cable diameter required for a string of say 25 or more lamp post chargers. As lamposts are compact and closed I imagine they would be restricted to slow charge rates. You cetainly wouldnt get 50kW charging at a lamp post., I believe London lamposts offer 3 to 7kW rates, not sure if they reduce charge rates if several are in use simultaneously.

Many fast chargers have 2 outputs that can be used to charge 2 cars at the same time. But the charge rate is shared between the two, so you don't get the max rate in that case.

Many fast chargers have 2 outputs that can be used to charge 2 cars at the same time. But the charge rate is shared between the two, so you don't get the max rate in that case.

Was going to post that but you beat me.