Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - ManYad

Hi All, i have been looking for a used car with a budget of 3.5k for a while now, with nothing much popping up near to me (TN2 post code). Looking for a petrol manual for local school runs mainly.

I have been reading posts here and suggestions. Yarises are rare, Fiestas with the 1.25 engine not many. Mazda2s even rarer. Fabia seems to have mixed reviews - probably depends on what one is comparing them against. Probably a few i10s out there with the most likelyhood of actually getting one.

I see the following 3 as of now - which ones look good on paper:

i20 (2012 56k miles) private seller - 3750

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102209289231?u...d

Micra (2014 55k) - 3990

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102239394049?u...d

Corsa (2013 68k) - 3500

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202011236389381?u...d

M

Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - madf

No mention of sh on Micra. So ignore it.

Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - catsdad

One of your choices is a Corsa. We ran a 2010 Corsa for a couple of years until last year when we got shot. It was very cheaply built and had several issues all of which are common once you suffer them and Google for solutions.

in the time we had it the back of the driver seat collapsed, it needed new bump stops, the wire operating the door handle broke, the wipers started slapping the screen pillar (and amazingly it can’t be adjusted away), the coil pack failed possibly due to design fault where rainwater ponds in the spark plug recess, the handbrake mounting needed reinforced, the rear seatback mechanism broke, the boot leaked, the heater fan switch broke, the pinch bolt on the exposed steering column worked loose. It also had a noisy cam chain. Contrast this with the Astra that preceded it which never had anything but normal servicing in the 18 years ended had it.

On other hand the Corsa never actually failed to get us home and it drove well.

Maybe we were unlucky and the faults were irritating rather than serious but as I say every fault that occurred got lots of matches online so we were not alone.

Edited by catsdad on 26/02/2021 at 12:19

Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - daveyjp

A friend and also my nephew both have Corsas about 7 years old. As above lots of niggles. Carrying a spare coil pack is a good idea as they all seem to suffer (both theirs have), failed fan temp sensors leading to overheating etc.

Thanks guys...

Madf, the micra does say Full Service History.

Catsdad, thanks so basically there could be a lot of annoying things potentially popping up on the Corsa.

Btw, i10s get a lot of recommendations. I20s as good?

-M

Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - Xileno

The i20 will be as good as the i10, a friend has a 2009 i20 and it keeps going despite leading quite a hard life, serviced but generally unloved. It's coped with three teenage daughters learning to drive in it and generally abusing it.

Chaincam on these as well which will keep servicing costs down.

However it looks to me that the i20 is a private seller? If so this will mean you have no comeback at all. At least with a trader you will have some protection. Maybe not much - but some.

Edited by Xileno on 26/02/2021 at 15:59

Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - Terry W

Wife has an i10 - 2010 bought a year old.

Still low mileage, regularly serviced once a year at MoT time.

At 10 years old the only "repair" has been blocked washer nozzles on MoT. Final straw (smilee) at the moment is gas struts getting weak and needing replacement.

If i20 is from the same stable I would happily buy following an inspection/test drive. At ~£3k buying private should be cheaper than dealer who needs to cover overheads, admin, warranty etc.

You could always minimise your risk through factoring a warranty into your costs for a year to cover any major failures.

Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - catsdad

A general point is that for school run duties a 5 door is far preferable. Access to the back is obviously better with 5 doors but less obviously 3 door cars have longer heavier doors and they open wider making dings on neighbouring cars more likely.

Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - badbusdriver

The i20 will be as good as the i10, a friend has a 2009 i20 and it keeps going despite leading quite a hard life, serviced but generally unloved. It's coped with three teenage daughters learning to drive in it and generally abusing it.

Chaincam on these as well which will keep servicing costs down.

However it looks to me that the i20 is a private seller? If so this will mean you have no comeback at all. At least with a trader you will have some protection. Maybe not much - but some.

The warranty you'd get on a car of that age is going to be all but worthless and is unlikely to be more than 6 months, so it being private's wouldn't put me off at all.

What would put me off a bit is the cheap and nasty tyres, and the fact that it isn't that cheap, especially for a private sale. Looking at other i20's of that age and approximate mileage on Autotrader, they start off at £3100 (red 1.2 Comfort with 60k miles), and that one was from a dealer, so I'd be looking to pay a fair bit less than the £3750 asking price.

Thanks all again, so the i10s do have good recommendations. There are a couple near where i am so will check them out. BBD, i found that red i20 :) and i understand what you mean. Perhaps the closer one is to london, the pricier they are. Amazingly, one of my local sellers seems to have sold half his stock within a couple of weeks! His place was half empty today (where i usually go for my walks).

Quick question: this Yaris definitely looks great in the pictures. Its 10 years old, and 81k. But at nearly £4000 - is it over priced for what it is? No advisories on MOT and FSH.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202101318543555?u...d

-M

I tried to have a look but the link doesn't show the car in question. However, £4000 for a ten year old Yaris seems a bit steep to me.

Amazing, i can't see it now either! Means it's gone! For 4k...!!!

I am now talking to 2 hyundai dealers, and both are reluctant to negotiate on price. One of them said fixed price. Autotrader does say the price is about average (though one of the apps gives really low prices - i suppose i should stop using that app). Both full service history, and mot advisories taken care of.

2013 car with 38k for 3795 (average trim)

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012036743560?f...s

2012 car with 56k for 3750 (highest trims including sun roof)

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102209289231?f...s

The confusion is, in pictures the second car looks better, though older and more features (i am not really keen on sunroof incase they start leaking! :) )

-M

Amazing, i can't see it now either! Means it's gone! For 4k...!!!

I am now talking to 2 hyundai dealers, and both are reluctant to negotiate on price. One of them said fixed price. Autotrader does say the price is about average (though one of the apps gives really low prices - i suppose i should stop using that app). Both full service history, and mot advisories taken care of.

2013 car with 38k for 3795 (average trim)

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202012036743560?f...s

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202102209289231?f...s

The confusion is, in pictures the second car looks better, though older and more features (i am not really keen on sunroof incase they start leaking! :) )

-M

Neither of those two Hyundai's have a sunroof(?)

No Fiesta's (1.25 or 1.4) near you?.

Most sunroofs in my experience leak a very small amount but this is catered for in the design. There is a drainage channel and it's when this gets blocked that problems can occur. Nothing a bicycle brake cable can't resolve.

Indeed, thats what i read about, so hopefully shouldn't be an issue.

Oh, i am so sorry. the second link was incorrect. This is the one:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20210205873...s

Fiesta's seem to be abused a lot, and also change hands quite a lot. Not many with full service history too. Nothing that looked good in the photos itself near me :(

-M

Had a quick look on Autotrader using the postcode of the garage with the i10 and a 20 mile radius. These caught my eye,

Expecting a full service history on a car this age and price is maybe a little ambitious. Plenty of these cars are simple enough to have been serviced by their owners.

Thanks BBD. I sent a note to a couple from that list. I excluded the bigger cars from that list as I want to keep the second car small with a lower overall cost.

Also technically I am in TN2. So I am factoring the delivery as well.

-M
Any - Buying a used car at 3.5k (lockdown challenges) - Andrew-T

From your first post I assume you are not trading-in ? If so, you don't pay a dealer screen price. If he says fixed price, walk away.

Thanks BBD. I sent a note to a couple from that list. I excluded the bigger cars from that list as I want to keep the second car small with a lower overall cost.

Not sure which cars from my list you think are too big, but given the Jazz is the same length as the i20, and the (older) Yaris, along with the Mazda 2, Fiesta, and Swift are smaller, that leaves the Dacia Sandero, Ford Fusion and Nisan Note.

The Dacia is only 6.3cm longer than the i20, the Fusion a barely worth mentioning 1.8cm, and the Note 10.5cm. But even with the longest of those, the Note, that 10.5cm makes it only 2.5% longer than the i20, a car which you seem fine with in terms of size.

Obviously this is up to you, but IMO, if the i20 is of an acceptable size, you aren't going to have any problems with a Sandero, Fusion or Note.

Also, if the size issue is in fact regarding width, the Nissan Note is actually narrower than an i20. The Sandero and Fusion are both slightly wider, by 2.3cm and 1.4cm respectively.

If it is about running costs, unless you are doing a lot of miles, the difference in economy between all of them will be negligible, and assuming a decent level of reliability, any difference in servicing costs are going to be down to prices of parts.

Thanks again BBD. Sorry for the confusion, what i meant was in terms of road tax and insurance. Wanted to keep those down. I am checking the swift mainly. Also looking at a swift and an i10 at the moment - ongoing discussions with dealer at around 3.2 and 3.5k. The swift definitely looks more interesting though with higher mileage than the i10 i am looking at.

-M

Thanks again BBD. Sorry for the confusion, what i meant was in terms of road tax and insurance. Wanted to keep those down. I am checking the swift mainly. Also looking at a swift and an i10 at the moment - ongoing discussions with dealer at around 3.2 and 3.5k. The swift definitely looks more interesting though with higher mileage than the i10 i am looking at.

-M

If running costs are that important, I'd suggest looking at the Suzuki Celerio. Free road tax, very reliable, very spacious for its size, and very light in weight. Back when they were fairly new to the market, I would often read in magazines like What Car, that the Celerio had the best real world MPG.

Not sure insurance would play a big part in the running costs for any of the cars suggested unless the driver was young and inexperienced.