Dealership badgering? - romford4

Anyone else get fed up of being badgered via phone/email/text by main dealers wanting to sell you a new car/service/MOT/whatever?

I usually buy new and change my car every 18 months (on average). Despite repeatedly asking dealers not to hold my contact info, nor to contact me further, they don't seem to get the message. Is this need for constant communication a Millennials/Gen-Z thing? Currently trying to tell the Honda dealer in Edinburgh to gie us peace but their calls and texts keep coming.

Just going to block them from now on, and they've lost my business when I come to change car later this year. Does anyone actually want this constant communication/interaction?

Dealership badgering? - Lee Power

Had this years ago with a Ford dealer after buying a vehicle from them.

I asked them politely twice not to keep contacting me with there weekly sales letters & leaflets.

It didn't work so I went in the dealership on a busy Saturday & made it known loudly I was annoyed with there constant badgering after buying a vehicle from them - this finally via a senior member of staff caused a stop to all there correspondence.

Dealership badgering? - RT

I still get recall notices from Subaru despite informing them it was written off in 2010 - and the dealer keeps sending marketing stuff even though I've unsubscribed from their mailing list.

Dealership badgering? - Sprice

I asked them politely twice not to keep contacting me with there weekly sales letters & leaflets.

It didn't work so I went in the dealership on a busy Saturday & made it known loudly I was annoyed with there constant badgering after buying a vehicle from them - this finally via a senior member of staff caused a stop to all there correspondence.

THEIR x 3.

Dealership badgering? - Lee Power

THEIR x 3.

Thanx english teacher dude

Dealership badgering? - Will deBeast

Yes, I've had this. Especially galling when it's a dealer you want no further contact with because they let you down.

The best alternative I've experienced was our local Toyota dealer. They booked a couple of valet guys at a quiet time late November. Then offered a free wash and vac in return for spending 30 mins chatting with them/looking at cars in the showroom. No hard sell and a real win:win.

Dealership badgering? - chris87
A GDPR request to exercise your right to be forgotten, along with an email to the ICO if they persist after this request. It usually calms them down...
Dealership badgering? - Xileno

I've tended to find the opposite. It's surprised me at how poor dealers are in getting in touch with current owners when a new model is in the showroom. When I had the Megane MK2, there was no contact from the dealer when the MK3 came out, to ask would I be interested in having a look and 'doing a deal'. Ditto the Focus Mk2 when the MK3 came out. Nothing.

Edited by Xileno on 24/02/2021 at 21:12

Dealership badgering? - Senexdriver

If there’s a good chance you’ll buy from that dealership again, it can be useful to keep them in the wings. This worked well for me after I bought my first Audi. About 2 years later the salesman rang me to ask if I would be interested in the all-new version that was now on sale. I said that it was a bit soon to be thinking of trading my existing car, but that I would at some point be interested in the new version (which was perfectly true).

So he rang me a number of times subsequently and each time I let him think I was closer to trading-in but would only consider it if the deal was going to be worth it. I then agreed to go and just test drive the new version; I was by now retired and had all the time in the world to mess around trying out new cars. A little more time elapsed after that and the next phone call was to ask if I wanted to do a deal on the new car, to which I replied that I would be interested in opening discussions, but that I would be very annoyed if I drove over to the dealership only to be offered a deal that I could easily turn down.

Result - a good deal on the new car. I initiated the next change of car and I had no need to negotiate as the salesman offered me more than I was expecting on the existing car and a healthy discount on the new one, which I’m still driving.