Auto gearbox - what type? - dazzabeezer

Hi

How do you find out what type of auto gearbox is in each car? E.g. torque, dct etc

I have read reviews of different cars on this site (and indeed the web) but cannot see where it mentions what type of auto gearbox is fitted in each.

Is their an easy way? What do I look out for?

Thank you

Auto gearbox - what type? - blindspot

torque converets normally have a dipstick.. straightline gearstick. not floppy sideways higher road tax less mpg

Auto gearbox - what type? - RT

torque converets normally have a dipstick.. straightline gearstick. not floppy sideways higher road tax less mpg

Many torque converter autoboxes have had their dipstick eliminated - most have a "sideways" tiptronic-type facitity.

Auto gearbox - what type? - Metropolis.

I suggest you find a car and ask here. or make a list and someone on this ever-helpful forum will answer.

Edited by Avant on 18/01/2021 at 23:01

Auto gearbox - what type? - JimChantal

I have a feeling this is spam.

If not, find a car and ask here. or make a list and someone on this ever-helpful forum will answer.

Yes, what an inane question this is, but if you have a serious (or even semi-serious) question, what a great forum it is.

Auto gearbox - what type? - Engineer Andy

I have a feeling this is spam.

If not, find a car and ask here. or make a list and someone on this ever-helpful forum will answer.

Yes, what an inane question this is, but if you have a serious (or even semi-serious) question, what a great forum it is.

To be honest, the last post above sounds more like a prelude to spam with non-specific comments than the OP's.

We'll see.

Only because this question looks similar to another one posted a while ago.

This is not spam. Its a genuine question whilst looking at various options for a new car.

Thank you for the helpful replies. I would still like to know how to tell, however. Is it carbon emissions, bhp?

Edited by dazzabeezer on 18/01/2021 at 20:25

Auto gearbox - what type? - badbusdriver

There is no obvious way to tell without researching the specific car (or, as has ben said, ask on here)

I can look at an interior pic of an 8th gen Honda Civic 'auto' and tell you whether or not it has a t/c auto or the i-shift automated manual. But that is a specific example where the gear selector is completely different between the two, and I have looked into them.

Auto gearbox - what type? - SLO76
Doing your homework via the good Dr Google is the only certain road. Or you could just get us to do it for you. We do like an opportunity to flex our car geekiness, so feel free to ask on here.
Auto gearbox - what type? - Avant

Dazzabeezer has been a member since 2017, and as he wasn't advertising anything he should not be accused of being a spammer.

One of the main points of a forum like this is that people can come and ask questions, however basic. I would feel just as inadequate if I were buying a computer. IT geeks are the worst of all for pooh-poohing others with less knowledge than themselves.

Is it really too much to ask you to be kind?

Auto gearbox - what type? - Alby Back
Well said Avant. I remember well one of my first posts on here back in the mid 2000s being flamed by some chippy chappy and it very nearly put me off for good.

I have a supplementary question if I may? I really am asking on behalf of a friend !

Does anyone know for sure from which model year or other method of identification, when an automatic Mondeo diesel estate reverted back to a TC box? Pal is looking at a 2018 (18 plate ) example and the supplying dealer was a bit vague when asked.

Thanks in advance if anyone knows the definitive answer.
Well said Avant. I remember well one of my first posts on here back in the mid 2000s being flamed by some chippy chappy and it very nearly put me off for good. I have a supplementary question if I may? I really am asking on behalf of a friend ! Does anyone know for sure from which model year or other method of identification, when an automatic Mondeo diesel estate reverted back to a TC box? Pal is looking at a 2018 (18 plate ) example and the supplying dealer was a bit vague when asked. Thanks in advance if anyone knows the definitive answer.

Did the Mondeo use the DCT Powershift - it was troublesome in Fiesta and Focus and replaced by a TC autobox - I also think the Mondeo originally used a Jatco TC autobox which wasn't one of the best and eventually replaced by an Aisin TC autobox which was well regarded.

But I don't know any of the changeover dates.

Auto gearbox - what type? - dafskipman

The simple answer to this is to look at the interior, if it has the rotary dial gear selector it will be the TC box. If it has the "Traditional" stick selector then it will be the powershift dual clutch box. I think if it is a 2018 model it will be the powershift box, as i believe only from 2019 onwards did the Mondeo diesel get the latest 8sp TC box. Another way to check is which Mondeo estate model are we talking about? Any that have the latest "Ecoblue" engines such as the 150 and 190hp variants will have the TC box. Any pre "Ecoblue" engines such as the pre 2019 150 and 180 and possibly 210hp engines will have the dual clutch box.what also confuses is that Ford still refer to their newer TC box as a Powershift, i think thats a branding thing that they use to define all their auto transmissions. I know the powershift boxes fitted in the Fiesta and Focus petrols and diesels (up to 1600cc) have a horrendous reputation partly because they are a dry clutch arrangement that wears out pretty quick, leading to big repair bills. However i believe all the 2 litre Diesels fitted to Mk3 Focuses and MK4/5 Mondeo's are a wet clutch system with Ford recommending a fluid and filter change every 38k or 3 yrs (whichever soonest). I'm sure iv'e seen somewhere that franchised Ford dealers will relieve you of £300+ for this, but there any many independent garages that will do it for less than £200 using the correct oil and genuine Ford filter.

Fab thanks dsm !
The last part of your response was a little uncalled for Avant. This forum had a spate of spam posts which consisted of copy and pastes of previous queries, and the OP’s looked very similar to a post that was on here previously, or so I thought. Usually they looked harmless then after the first reply the spammer would reply with a dodgy link.

Happy to be proven wrong as I appear to have been in this instance, but I was not being unkind.

Quite surprised you felt the need to censor my post...

Edited by Metropolis. on 18/01/2021 at 23:42

The last part of your response was a little uncalled for Avant. This forum had a spate of spam posts which consisted of copy and pastes of previous queries, and the OP’s looked very similar to a post that was on here previously, or so I thought. Usually they looked harmless then after the first reply the spammer would reply with a dodgy link. Happy to be proven wrong as I appear to have been in this instance, but I was not being unkind. Quite surprised you felt the need to censor my post...

Avant has requested several times that we allow him, as Moderator, to deal with spammers - I'd suggest we respect that.

Auto gearbox - what type? - skidpan
Avant has requested several times that we allow him, as Moderator, to deal with spammers - I'd suggest we respect that.

Plenty to do on the general forum then, 5 pages of wonderful advertising.

When will this forum get the filters most forums seem to have.

Or at least stop a new member's posts becoming visible until moderated since its always the new members who spam.

Plenty to do on the general forum then, 5 pages of wonderful advertising.

When will this forum get the filters most forums seem to have.

Or at least stop a new member's posts becoming visible until moderated since its always the new members who spam.

This forum is on such an antiquated forum that it's unlikely to change IMO.

You're quite right RT. The problem is that most forums don't make a lot of money, even through advertising: the main benefit to the site as a whole is that it encourages people to look at the rest of the site.

There is a filter which hides most of the spam, but not all of it: I've no idea why not, but all I have to do is one click to mark that user as a spammer, and it's hidden. It really doesn't matter very much and isn't worth getting exercised about.

Back to auto gearboxes - anyone know the answer to Alby's query a few posts up?

Auto gearbox - what type? - John F

I don't know the answer to Alby's query but when I wanted to know a bit more about our Mk1 Focus gearbox I crawled underneath and looked at it. I found an inscription '4F27E' and a bit of simple googling told me the rest.

I have always thought it best to go for an autobox made by a highly regarded gearbox manufacturer, e.g. ZF or Aisin, rather than the attempts of car manufacturers' in house efforts. They are far more complex and potentially more unreliable than engines, the basic components of which have changed little over the past 100 years.

Why think the OP was a spammer? I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question which deserved a thoughtful answer.

PS any news on gordonbennet?

I don't know the answer to Alby's query but when I wanted to know a bit more about our Mk1 Focus gearbox I crawled underneath and looked at it. I found an inscription '4F27E' and a bit of simple googling told me the rest.

I have always thought it best to go for an autobox made by a highly regarded gearbox manufacturer, e.g. ZF or Aisin, rather than the attempts of car manufacturers' in house efforts. They are far more complex and potentially more unreliable than engines, the basic components of which have changed little over the past 100 years.

Why think the OP was a spammer? I thought it was a perfectly reasonable question which deserved a thoughtful answer.

PS any news on gordonbennet?

The Ford DCT Powershift was a joint venture with Getrag, an otherwise respected transmission manufacturer

Auto gearbox - what type? - John F

The Ford DCT Powershift was a joint venture with Getrag, an otherwise respected transmission manufacturer.......

.......not much respect from similarly affected Volvo owners. Clearly an exception to my rule, as is the reliable Ford/Mazda 4F27E in our old Focus. DSGs are probably better these days - always risky being a first adopter.

I think people are continuing to miss the point here, i only thought the question was a cut and paste of one asked before which is a typical spammer behaviour. I do recall the same question being asked but perhaps my memory is failing me. I didn’t want to see us all wasting time answering a spam post. The question itself is a good question that deserves answering.
Mercedes seem to have had some success with their in house gearboxes, the 5G was bombproof

"PS any news on gordonbennet?"

I had an Email back from GB - sadly he has given up on this forum. Please have a look at my post on the MIA thread ('missing in action' in case anyone wondered).

It's in the nature of forums that some questions get asked repeatedly, particularly this one, by people wondering which are the transmissions to avoid (the seller sure as hell won't tell them). Yes, occasionally such a question is from a future spammer: but we have to give them the benefit of the doubt. If spam then appears I will boot it out.

To be fair, quite a few of the sales reps who work for my company have, and have had, Mondeo automatics for years. Most of them would be Powershift presumably? Anyway, we've never had any of those giving gearbox problems over fairly hard lives. The Passats and Golfs though, with DSGs have been disappointingly problematic in similar usage.

But, I digress, this is for a friend who is thinking of buying a car for personal use and he has read about Powershift problems and wants to try to get a TC. I don't want to be the guy to tell him he'll be ok with the older gearbox in case he isn't. ;-)

other things to know ,is it

chain driven

3 or 4 pot

Hi

I have found this car.

www.bhgmotorgroup.co.uk/used/vauxhall/astra/14t-16.../

Can I have some feedback please?

Due to have a look tomorrow.

first impression looks good. sold in big numbers, main stream , good with me

Auto gearbox - what type? - badbusdriver

My only concern would be it being an SRI. As a sporty trim level it has bigger wheels with lower profile tyres, potentially making the ride a bit harsh. But it may also have stiffer suspension, potentially making matters worse. I'm not sure, but worth bearing in mind.

I do like the Astra though, bit of an underdog next to its rivals, but a canny 2nd hand bargain because of that.

Oh, and it has a t/c auto!

Edited by badbusdriver on 19/01/2021 at 16:57

Good wee cars, uses a relatively straightforward and robust engine and the gearbox is a torque converter setup that’s unlikely to cause any grief. Buy only if it has a full main dealer history as all too often new cars are taken on PCP or contract lease and servicing is neglected as they’ll never own the thing. I’d happily buy a nice example.

I ended up buying the Astra. Strange experience without a test drive and all the COVID regs but drove it back today and a lovely drive. Ex mobility (no adaptations) with FSH and in lovely condition. There was an Elite version but sadly I couldn't justify the extra £750. I am very happy.

I must say I got very lucky as someone else was looking when I arrived but I dived in and put an offer down and beat the other chap to it. He was happy enough and got an Auris instead.

I have been having a good play. Am I correct in saying the wing mirrors are not electronic? I tried pushing the directional dial down, when the left/right dial was in a central position. I have done a google and it suggests it is not on this model but then some others suggest I try what I did. Just making sure it isnt a feature and not a fault?

Thank you all for your help!

Jay aka Dazzabeezer aka not a spammer ;)

Edited by dazzabeezer on 20/01/2021 at 21:14

Auto gearbox - what type? - S40 Man

I have Astra K Sri. Re your mirrors I think you need to flick the switch to left or right and then adjust with the up/down left/right knob.

Good care which are underated I reckon so good value used buys. Mine c was ex motobility too

I have Astra K Sri. Re your mirrors I think you need to flick the switch to left or right and then adjust with the up/down left/right knob.

Good care which are underated I reckon so good value used buys. Mine c was ex motobility too

Sorry re the mirrors I meant them folding in when parked. Are they not electronic? My old Ceed a did this automatically.

Edited by dazzabeezer on 20/01/2021 at 22:43

Glad to hear it worked out for you, should be a fairly safe bet being ex-mobility. I THINK the gearbox in this is a GM 6 speed unit, GM have a long and successful history of making automatic gearboxes, so it is unlikely to give trouble. In fact GM invented the automatic gearbox in the 1930s..

Here's where someone corrects me and says it's an Aisin unit, both good options!

Glad to hear it worked out for you, should be a fairly safe bet being ex-mobility. I THINK the gearbox in this is a GM 6 speed unit, GM have a long and successful history of making automatic gearboxes, so it is unlikely to give trouble. In fact GM invented the automatic gearbox in the 1930s..

Here's where someone corrects me and says it's an Aisin unit, both good options!

AFAIK the Astra uses an Aisin autobox from Toyota.

Happy new car day. Hope it gives many years pain free motoring.

Good luck with it, Dazzabeezer. Just the right sort of mileage too - not too high and not too low.