Vaccination rate - sammy1

Wales allocated 270000 jabs and has so far given 50000. Statement by the Welsh government states that they plan to use the remaining 220000 jabs by the middle of FEB which by my rough estimate equals 55000 per week! There was me thinking we were in crisis with this pandemic.

Vaccination rate - alan1302

Wales allocated 270000 jabs and has so far given 50000. Statement by the Welsh government states that they plan to use the remaining 220000 jabs by the middle of FEB which by my rough estimate equals 55000 per week! There was me thinking we were in crisis with this pandemic.

It's the vaccine that is hardest to store and move about they have which slows the roll out down. They are also getting the Oxford vaccine which in top of the numbers you have shown. They expect 100,000 a week of that vacine.

Vaccination rate - daveyjp

When a retired doctor or senior nurse has to provide 22 pieces of information to be deemed suitable to inject a vaccine someone has seriously wrong priorities. This needs to change if the supplies and premises are available.

However note the language being used. The target is for people to be 'invited' to attend an appointment, not be vaccinated. Thats easy and this is already happening in our area. Housebound residents in their 80s are being 'invited' to attend a vaccination centre 50 miles away. Target met.

However I do have family friends who have received both doses. First just before Christmas, second last week.

However note the language being used. The target is for people to be 'invited' to attend an appointment, not be vaccinated. Thats easy and this is already happening in our area. Housebound residents in their 80s are being 'invited' to attend a vaccination centre 50 miles away. Target met.

That's been reported in the news as well - not to do with targets and those people don't have to to go to them they will still be able to get them from their local doctors just maybe not as soon.

Vaccination rate - Ethan Edwards

Well the country is up to 4.609 million vaccinations so far. And doing 330 000 a day. Somehow we appear to have done more than the whole of the EU combined.

Edited by Ethan Edwards on 20/01/2021 at 22:03

Vaccination rate - skidpan

Wifes uncle is 88 next month and received an invitation to go for his jab at the local vaccination centre or wait for his GP. The vaccination centre is only about 4 miles away on roads he drives every week going shopping but being an idiot he had decided to wait.

We pointed out to him that the local surgery (about a mile away) is unlikely to carry out the vaccinations since the annual flu jab is given at the group main practice which like the vaccination centre is about 4 miles away.

Could not persuade him, his view is simple, if he gets Covid he gets it.

Vaccination rate - Ethan Edwards

Over 10m vaccinations. This is epic !

It is going really well and as long as supplies of the vaccinations can keep up I think it will continue to do well.

It is going really well and as long as supplies of the vaccinations can keep up I think it will continue to do well.

I agree its going really well but I can see issues in about 6 to 8 weeks time.

The current rate of administering the 2nd jabs is about 2,000 a day (I have not missed any zeros). Before .gov said that it would be 12 weeks and not 3 weeks between jabs the daily rate was much higher. So once the time arrives when the huge number that are currently being jabbed need the 2nd jab unless .gov comes up with another load of staff and vaccination centres they will have to stop people in later categories (like me and the Mrs) getting their first jabs.

Perhaps they could use the Nightingale Hospitals that they wasted money on last year.

Vaccination rate - Chris M

"Perhaps they could use the Nightingale Hospitals that they wasted money on last year"

Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing.

"Perhaps they could use the Nightingale Hospitals that they wasted money on last year"

It is indeed but why do we continue to employ the people who make these decisions when it was obvious to me at the time existing NHS staff were stretched in the existing hospitals. How anyone could think that with little warning they could conjure up many thousand extra critical care Doctors, nurses, care assistants etc was and still is beyond me.

IMHO they did it hoping the public would believe they were on top of the pandemic. Its clear now they were just playing the political game with tax payers money.

Vaccination rate - FP

"Its clear now they were just playing the political game with tax payers money."

You see conspiracy; I see cock-up.

"Its clear now they were just playing the political game with tax payers money."

You see conspiracy; I see cock-up.

Conspiracy is not the word I would use but I feel certain there was a degree of doing what would look good in the public eye even though they knew it would never work.

Vaccination rate - Chris M

Were the Nightingale hospitals ever going to be critical care? Had the first wave resulted in 50,000+ requiring hospitalisation, my guess is they would have been used. Those that stood the best chance of saving would have received critical care and those with little chance would have been given whatever help could be managed and allowed to die. But at least they would have been somewhere resembling a hospital and the NHS/Government would receive less criticism than if the no hopers were left to die on the streets.

Fortunately we never went there.

Matt Hancock is reported as saying there should be no regrets. So they wouldn't regret backing a vaccine which may or may not work and they wouldn't regret having too many beds that didn't get used.

I don't regret buying home insurance or life assurance I never used.

Edited by Chris M on 07/02/2021 at 17:15

It is indeed but why do we continue to employ the people who make these decisions when it was obvious to me at the time existing NHS staff were stretched in the existing hospitals. How anyone could think that with little warning they could conjure up many thousand extra critical care Doctors, nurses, care assistants etc was and still is beyond me.

IMHO they did it hoping the public would believe they were on top of the pandemic. Its clear now they were just playing the political game with tax payers money.

It was an emergency measure trying to mitigate a possible outcome of the hospitals over flowing and needing to find somewhere to put a lot of sick people all at one time. I think they knew it would be difficult to staff but expect resources from the armed forces would have been drafted in if required.

Don't think it is all as stupid as you think it was especially when you are dealing with a virus that at that time very little was known about and the government has to look at all options.