All - Car seats? - Russell Kaye

Really stuck with feeling uncomfortable with car seats at the moment and struggling to work out whether I'm just getting old or whether they are changing the design/ergonomics. I am 5 foot 2, and need the seat fairly forward and the back fairly upright to reach!

Last Christmas, I bought a 2018 Civic. Felt odd on the test drive but assumed that it was getting used to it/seat adjustment. By the time I got it home, 3 hours later, my back was aching badly (and within a month even when not in the car). In the end, gave in, sold it for a SEAT Arona, fine on the test drive, back aches after 15 mins or so. Currently in a Fabia courtesy car - same problem. Recently drove a Mokka which, with the seat base flat & lumbar support was fine.

Prior to the Civic, I had an A3, Seat Toledo, Mitsubishi Lancers, and have driven hire cars from a Ford Ka to an A6 abroad and have never, ever had an issue or thought about the seats.

The steep slope of the seat is just pushing my back into the hard seatback, leaving my hips way lower than my knees and the bottom of my spine pressed right into the seat whenever I use the pedals. Raising the seat (which flattens it a little) just leaves me struggling to reach the pedals. Is there something different about recent car design? Harder/memory foam seats? Harder seats to accommodate airbags? Steeper angle of the seat base for safety? Or have I just picked badly?

Need to get the right car next time as every drive is an issue at the moment. Considering Merc A-class or Insignia as you can adjust the seat base angle. Other ideas or comments welcome?

All - Car seats? - badbusdriver

I think before changing car again to something which may not be any better after 3 hours and could potentially be unreliable, you should maybe try a wedge cushion, something like this,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAPOLEON-ADULT-SUPPORT-CUSHION-...4

Maybe in combination with something like this,

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Memory-Foam-Wedge-Car-Seat-Chai...Z

All - Car seats? - RT

A neighbour bought an A-series but soon sold it as it gave her back problems - she replaced it with a Peugeot 308 .

All - Car seats? - badbusdriver

A neighbour bought an A-series but soon sold it as it gave her back problems - she replaced it with a Peugeot 308 .

The trouble with car seat comfort, or otherwise, is it's a highly personal thing. Another person could easily find the reverse, that the Merc seat was comfy and the Pug not.

One car I have heard being complimented on its seats (because I had been looking at one to be our next car) is the current Citroen C4 Cactus.

All - Car seats? - bathtub tom

The most comfortable car I had was an Austin Maxi. It felt like you were sitting on a bar stool and steering with a near horizontal wheel, but I could go for hours without any discomfort. I had nothing like it before, or since.

Goes to show first impressions aren't always correct.

All - Car seats? - Ian_SW

It may be as much to do with the range of the steering wheel reach/rake adjustment and other proportions of the car as the seat itself. The one thing which has changed recently (due to requirements for better strength in a crash) is that the side windows have generally become smaller and higher up. I'd think that would definitely apply to the Civic. This would mean that the OP is needing to have the seat higher than it should be for the pedals/steering wheel in order to be able to see out.

I've done quite a few miles in Insignias, and the seats are pretty good as well as being very adjustable. However, at 5'6" I felt like I was a bit too small for the car and needed the seat fairly high up in order to be able to see properly, so this may have the same problem as the Civic.

If the OP has not had this problem in a Mokka, why not consier one of those? They are perfectly adequate, if slightly dull cars.

As extended test drives seem to be a thing of the past these days, it might be worth trying a few cars out by hiring them to see which work better over a longer drive. This might cost a couple of hundred pounds, but thats much less than the loss which would be made on having to trade in another car after a few months.

All - Car seats? - sammy1

one thing I noticed with the Tesla 3 is how thin the seats are particularly the back rest. I wonder if it is about saving weight. I cannot comment about comfort.

All - Car seats? - Andrew-T

As BBD has said, people come in all shapes, sizes and proportions, so It's next to impossible to give useful advice beyond having a good long test drive before buying any car. But part of the problem is that it seems that stylists design any new model from a blank sheet of paper, rather than adapting an existing seat known to be comfortable for most users.

I have owned quite a few Pug 205s over the years. Many writers commented on the seats of a 205 as being tolerable for a full day's driving. But the seats in the 206 which followed were nothing like as good. Also the Fiat Punto of the 1990s had good reports, and was claimed to have been influenced by an osteopath.

All you can do is look for a car with all the adjustments (not all have them) and try adding padding of your own where it helps. Some seats are too short (hip to knee) also, which can become uncomfortable.

All - Car seats? - catsdad

HJ used to recommend the Driving Ergonomics Loughborough University site. If you Google it and click onto the downloads there is a link that gives you their advice on the best order in which to make the various adjustments.

I also find I need to adjust car seats according to the journey. I drive closer to the wheel and pedals for short journeys but for long motorway stints I set back more. Putting light pressure on the footrest also helps me reduce long distance back pain. But maybe that’s just my old bones.

All - Car seats? - Trilogy.

Before you buy another car I'd suggest you arrange with a dealer an extended test drive of half a day or a day.

All - Car seats? - skidpan

Coming up to 50 years behind the wheel and in that time I have only had one car with a seat that caused issues for me. That was a 1999 Ford Puma which used Fiesta seats of which millions had been used over the years. Drive more than about 30 miles and I had to stop and walk round for about 5 minutes then fine for another 30 miles or so.

All - Car seats? - Avant

As Skodalan says, the position of the steering wheel has a bearing on this too. I too am short (5'7") and if the top of the wheel is at chin level, that's too high for me.

You should try a Peugeot and see if the small steering wheel suits you. There were other things I didn't like about the 3008 that I test-drove, but for me the driving position was fine. I think it's people of average male height who have the problem of the wheel blocking the instruments: the tall and the short are OK.

Otherwise , if a Mokka works for you (make you you get a long run in one), go for that. Or go back to an A3: I've had many VAG cars and have always been able to find a very comfortable driving position.

Edited by Avant on 12/11/2020 at 09:24

All - Car seats? - John F

As hinted, I suspect the OP is suffering from age related lumbar disc degeneration. The spine was never designed to be vertical, despite the attempts of the b*****-minded latest example of vertebrate evolution to keep it that way. For those unfortunate drivers who do not enjoy the luxury of the Audi A8 comfort seat, which is basically a large collection of electric motors with some padding, a strategically placed cushion usually suffices.

All - Car seats? - paul 1963

I have a Mokka and I do find it comfortable but to be honest I seem to be able to get comfortable in most cars.

All - Car seats? - Steveieb
The Hertz rent to buy scheme offers the buyer a week to try the car before either returning it and paying the rental or buying the car with no rental fee.
The problem with test drives from dealers is that they are usually too short, accompanied and over a carefully chosen route that has a smooth surface and pretty undemanding terrain.
The ideal route is the alpine circuit at Milbrook which in 20 minutes gives the driver a pretty good idea of whether the car is suitable.
There is the Belgian pave too to test the comfort.
Petty the facility is not open to the public.
All - Car seats? - UCB
Volvo seats usually have very good reviews for comfort and support. Likewise SAAB, although obviously there are no recent models since their demise. I suffer from recurring lower back issues and currently drive a Skoda Octavia, the seats of which I find excellent although they are on the SEL model which may be superior to lesser specs. My wife’s Toyota Verso is also adequate even without lumbar adjustment. I find I need to recline the seat back to ease pressure on my back rather than have it vertical. I had a BMW 318is coupe many moons ago and the drivers seat had thigh support that extended to under the knee which was great but I’ve never had it on any car since.
All - Car seats? - concrete

It is very subjective. I am/was 6'2" and over the years have not had much trouble with back problems while driving. I used to drive at least 25K miles a year for many many years too. The worst case I had was with a Vectra CD model. Could not get really comfortable at all. Tried all the reach and rake settings going. Eventually swapped it with a colleague. Several of our engineers had the new shape Vectra and they all had back trouble and had to offload the cars. Vauxhall seemed to be the culprit here. My last car for work was my own Skoda Superb Elegance. Full leather and lots of adjustments, and electronic memory settings are a godsend. Drove over 210K miles in it and not a twinge. Current Volvo XC60, leather again, is very comfortable too. Only time I had to have the drivers seat replaced was in a Peugeot 406 GLX. It gave way and was replaced under warranty. I am not small but certainly not over weight or obese. At about 95Kg I thought I was well below the design threshold for a car seat. Only advice is to try a long test drive or a weekend loan.

Cheers Concrete

All - Car seats? - Andrew-T

Only time I had to have the drivers seat replaced was in a Peugeot 406 GLX. It gave way and was replaced under warranty.

I have come across 205s with failed welds in the seat infrastructure - usually easily fixed in a few minutes.

All - Car seats? - corax
Raising the seat (which flattens it a little) just leaves me struggling to reach the pedals.

If the seats in the Civic are like most, raising it would normally lift the back of the seat base, tipping you forward, and moving you closer to the pedals.

The trouble with many cushions for back or base is that they are too thick, raising you too high, or pushing the base of your spine too far forwards, which then means that you have additional problems with support in other areas. You have to find one that is thin but supportive enough to work.

All - Car seats? - Big John

Seats are an individual thing depending on your size, build etc. I also find standard non adjustable seat bases can slope toward the back of the seat too much - whereas in versions with electric seats the base angle can be adjusted. With being big and tall I also find with the trend towards sports bolstering that seats hug me in all the wrong places causing issues on a long run (eg dead leg). I also find that lumbar support and shoulder support is also in the wrong place. With most cars the B pillar is way too far forward for me - my elbow hits it and if I look right I sometimes find myself looking out of the back window!

For me the solution seems to have been - go bigger. My last couple of cars since 2005 have been Skoda Superbs which have big seats and big doors - all good. The problem is when I retire we don't really need two cars, but downsizing to a car that Mrs BJ likes driving causes potential issues for me.

In the past my favourite car re seat and driving position was a Saab 9000cs - fab u lous. Actually the whole car was great. I drove all the way from Yorkshire to Munich in one go except stopping to fill up with petrol and lunch and arrived with not a twinge.

I think the important thing is to take any propective car for a long test drive - or hire a version if possible for a couple of days

Edited by Big John on 12/11/2020 at 20:22

All - Car seats? - veloceman
Other half had an Arona for nearly 3 years. Excellent car it was. However,
I too had back ache after 15 mins. Even in FR model seats too soft and little support.
She replaced it with a Puma which seat comfort it excellent.

I struggle with seat comfort regardless of amount of adjustment.

I find driving an auto improves things as you have to disregard ease of clutch operation.
I much prefer firm seats.