Reversing lights - Penumbra

My car has a single reversing light and it's about as bright as a birthday cake candle.

I looked into fitting a proper man-sized floodlight but it wasn't as straightforward as I hoped.

I'd noticed LED bulbs advertised with a decent lumens output so decided to invest in one.

Colour me impressed but what a difference from factory bulb, I can actually see where I'm going now. At about a fiver (not cheap admittedly - standard bulb about £1.50) it's the best cost effective upgrade I've done to the vehicle.

Reversing lights - daveyjp

Reversing lights are for the benefit of other drivers and pedestrians, not to illuminate the way when reversing as they then look like headlights. Its the reason why they are low wattage.

Edited by daveyjp on 06/11/2020 at 15:59

Reversing lights - Steveieb

When I complained to my partners Renault dealer about the poor reversing light he said there was nothing they could do without infringing EU law as the light has to be of a certain wattage and close to the ground.

Another crazy law which I see doesn’t apply to vans!

Reversing lights - Andrew-T

No, it's not a crazy law, as Davey explains above. If you want to see behind when reversing - which is usually a fairly gradual operation unless you are a mad Dutch racer - you should get a camera system and do the job properly.

It's a pity the same law doesn't apply to modern headlights ... :-)

Reversing lights - RT

When I complained to my partners Renault dealer about the poor reversing light he said there was nothing they could do without infringing EU law as the light has to be of a certain wattage and close to the ground.

My VW Touareg has reversing lights within the normal cluster, just below the window line - given it's height I doubt there's a practical; restriction.

I don't believe the EU wattage restriction is any different to the UK Construction & Use restriction we had before we ever jointed the EC/EEC/EU

Reversing lights - galileo

Reversing lights are for the benefit of other drivers and pedestrians, not to illuminate the way when reversing as they then look like headlights. Its the reason why they are low wattage.

The i30 has two reversing lights, each just above the indicator/sidelight/brakelight cluster, they do give reasonable light fr reversing.

Most makers seem to provide just one, don't know why unless as usual it saves costs.

Reversing lights - bathtub tom

The i30 has two reversing lights, each just above the indicator/sidelight/brakelight cluster, they do give reasonable light fr reversing.

Most makers seem to provide just one, don't know why unless as usual it saves costs.

I was once asked to scrutineer a road rally. Gave nearly all the the participants a warning about their reversing lights. Never asked again!

Reversing lights - Bolt

I was once asked to scrutineer a road rally. Gave nearly all the the participants a warning about their reversing lights. Never asked again!

Driver needs to see that its safe behind which in the dark some cameras are next to useless, so a good reverse light is a big help, I have 2 on the Civic which will be fitted with LED lights which are much brighter than standard bulbs

Reversing lights - mcb100
‘I was once asked to scrutineer a road rally. Gave nearly all the the participants a warning about their reversing lights. Never asked again!’

I used to have a 55W drive lamp as a reversing lamp for road rallies. All the better for getting back on route having overshot a junction on an unlit lane!
Reversing lights - _
‘ I used to have a 55W drive lamp as a reversing lamp. All the better for getting people to back off when too close behind,

And 4 on the front,,, (mini 1977)

Reversing lights - mcb100
Ah, limited to two auxiliary lights in my day.
Reversing lights - _
Ah, limited to two auxiliary lights in my day.

And I had ( I think) the Paddy Hopkirk chequered stripes down the sides and the black stripe over the bonnet and roof.

Reversing lights - badbusdriver

My brother had a Mini Clubman (the proper one), he wired up two foglamps to the brake lights and had them fitted on the little shelf behind the rear seats. High level brake lights before it became a thing. Unfortunately the Police weren’t convinced by the safety aspect and told him to remove them!.

Reversing lights - 57Rebel

The construction and use regulations for automotive lighting are donkeys years old and no longer fit for purpose.

Lighting 'brightness' is regulated by maximum wattage, which simply doesn't work since the advent of HID, LED etc.

The maximum wattage permitted for reverse lights is 21watt. Same as brake lights and indicators.

Now fit 21watt LED bulbs with good optics and it will be brighter than an average halogen headlamp

Reversing lights - Smileyman

Manufacturers use the legal loophole of having to fit only one reversing lamp ... to fit only one. Same again with rear fog lamps, can fit two but many only fit one. On some cars the manufacturer will remove the offside reversing light and replace it with a fog lamp as a cheap way to make the car legal.

If you find you need more light when reversing one option is to put your rear fog light on, the red light may not be the best but is better than no light - just remember to switch it off afterwards!

Reversing lights - Bolt

Manufacturers use the legal loophole of having to fit only one reversing lamp ... to fit only one. Same again with rear fog lamps, can fit two but many only fit one. On some cars the manufacturer will remove the offside reversing light and replace it with a fog lamp as a cheap way to make the car legal.

If you find you need more light when reversing one option is to put your rear fog light on, the red light may not be the best but is better than no light - just remember to switch it off afterwards!

even with only one reverse light fitted they can with an LED be a lot brighter than they are even with a Halogen bulb fitted, a good LED is brighter than a Halogen and gives a whiter light which is more useful for reversing because it shows people up better than Halogen

They should be measured in Lumens rather than watts as even with Halogen, wattage is deceiving as far as colour/ brightness is concerned, ie a 6w LED is equivalent to roughly 60w Halogen as well as being cheaper (and should be longer lasting) to run, though that isn`t taken into consideration due to not running from mains

Reversing lights - ohsoslow

Or use your nice bright hazard lights which also have the added plus of warning others around you that you are manoeuvring.

Reversing lights - Bilboman

For some years Australian construction and use regs were quite strict regarding US imports, which were always converted to right hand drive, but it was often difficult to adapt rear indicators to amber, since they were combined with brake lights, a stupid idea which persists to this day in federal lighting regs.
A solution was found by rewiring the brake lights to work only for braking and to double up the reversing lights as rear indicators by rewiring and refitting them with amber bulbs.
The idea isn't without its merits: steady amber lights for a vehicle in reverse would warn of danger, and wouldn't be mistaken for the headlights or DRLs of a car (or a taxi!) going forward; if reversing whilst indicating there is a steady amber and one flashing, and hazard lights would warn of hazards as now. Sn extra bonus is that there would be two lights to the rear instead of one which is often not visible from the opposite corner.

Reversing lights - John F

It is sensible, not penny pinching, to fit only one rear fog lamp, as on my flagship Audi. On a misty drizzly dark busy motorway it can be difficult to see when brake lights come on if there are already too many bright red lights on both sides diffusing through the spray. My TR7 has the luxury of two reversing lights....and also two rear fog lamps, but these are wisely hung underneath the bumper well away from the main rear light cluster.

Reversing lights - Heidfirst

I'd noticed LED bulbs advertised with a decent lumens output so decided to invest in one.

Colour me impressed but what a difference from factory bulb, I can actually see where I'm going now. At about a fiver (not cheap admittedly - standard bulb about £1.50) it's the best cost effective upgrade I've done to the vehicle.

Unless the light unit has been certified for use with an LED bulb & the car homologated with them then strictly speaking it's not road legal & could even invalidate your insurance (there supposedly was a claim where this actually happened for either reversing or no. plate lights).

As others have mentioned there is a considerable difference in output between halogen/HID/LED bulbs of the same wattage & the UNECE regulations are slowly going over to using lumen output for specifications rather than wattage.

Reversing lights - Bolt

Unless the light unit has been certified for use with an LED bulb & the car homologated with them then strictly speaking it's not road legal & could even invalidate your insurance (there supposedly was a claim where this actually happened for either reversing or no. plate lights).

As others have mentioned there is a considerable difference in output between halogen/HID/LED bulbs of the same wattage & the UNECE regulations are slowly going over to using lumen output for specifications rather than wattage.

its about time they brought out lamp units that were LED capable on older cars, there must be a market for them as there is for LED bulbs, I think they are a bit slow on the uptake with getting these lamps certified and will probably make a lot of money in the process imo

Probably a good job I didn't get the 100 watt version then.

Reversing lights - Terry W

Most lighting regulations go back to legislation in 1989, long before LED were the norm in cars.

Personally self interest trumps regulation - I prefer to see where I am driving even at slow speeds. However parking sensors (another innovation not available to ordinary mortals in 1989) at least stop me hitting stationary objects - although walking objects represent a different challenge.

Reversing lights - Bolt

Most lighting regulations go back to legislation in 1989, long before LED were the norm in cars.

Personally self interest trumps regulation - I prefer to see where I am driving even at slow speeds. However parking sensors (another innovation not available to ordinary mortals in 1989) at least stop me hitting stationary objects - although walking objects represent a different challenge.

its about time they were updated

I prefer to see where I`m going as most pedestrians if any, don`t even notice the reverse lights on. as I do not remember any stopping when I have started reversing out of a parking space, so if they get blinded by my reverse lights at least they cannot say they don`t see you coming....

Reversing lights - _

I have just checked the Sportage out in the dark. Reversing light seen from the rear not bad and the view with the revrsing camera in the dark not bad at all.

Must get myself one of those "Reversing reversing Beepers"

Reversing lights - bathtub tom

Daughter had a habit of reversing into innocent gateposts and suchlike. I bought an electric door chime sounder from ebay, it was small enough to hide it in a rear light cluster. Played 'the yellow rose of Texas' whenever she selected reverse. I thought it only fair to warn the gateposts. Drove her mad, but her reversing improved.

My new job involves me visiting customers at their houses. I live on the outskirts of a small town on the edge of the moors and as soon as you leave town the street lights disappear and it gets really really dark down on t'moors at night. Trying to reverse into strange driveways or avoid reversing into the many rhynes crossing the moors had become a bit of an adventure with my old halogen bulb so I'm sticking with the LED bulb thankyou very much.

Reversing lights - Bilboman

That reminds me of some high jinks at school one evening out in a friend's mini. When the owner of the car was making a purchase at the off licence (very unwisely leaving us inside it) one of our merry band who was quite an electrical whiz, fumbled under the dashboard and made a small but significant change to the car's wiring. From that point onwards, every time our friend braked, it sounded the horn. The first few times, he was convinced he was being followed by an irate driver who was hooting at him whenever he stopped. Finally the penny dropped.