Mazda CX-5 - Tyre Replacement - Rench88
I bought a 1 year old CX-5 in May this year. All going well and I love the car. However, yesterday I suffered a puncture whilst out and about (rear left side). In order to get home, I used the emergency kit, filled the tyre with sealant and inflated using the device in the boot. That seems to have worked ok and this morning the tyre remains inflated.

My question now is what is the recommended next step? I know I have to replace the tyre (the sidewall is quite damaged just from the small amount of driving that took place before I sealed it).

I understand the tyre pressure monitoring system can be quite fiddly. Does this mean I should head to a main dealer to have the tyre replaced? Or is that overkill and a local garage will be fine? Or is Halfords/Kwik Fit best?

Secondly, the other tyres all look fine. But should I also replace the rear right tyre? I think they have all been on since the car was new, so have done 13,000 miles.

Thirdly, do I need to match the tyre(s)? It’s a Toyo tyre the Mazdas come with.

Fourthly, how much should I be paying in total? If I go with the Toyo, it looks like they are between £90 and £120 per tyre.

Would appreciate any insight.
Mazda CX-5 - Tyre Replacement - catsdad

No need for a main dealer. Your manual will tell you how to reset the system. It sounds too damaged to drive but may be OK just to get you to a nearby tyre fitter. If in doubt there are plenty of mobile fitters who will come to you.

Its always best to keep matching tyres but not a legal requirement so I would stick with Toyo. The other rear tyre will have plenty of wear left at 13k and would not need replacing.

As for buying the tyre there are plenty of options online (Blackcircles etc) that are usually cheaper but do take a couple of days to deliver. If you need to use the car without delay then you can phone mobile and local fitters for the best price and fitting date. Local independent fitters are often competitive. For one tyre though the cost saving is likely to be minimal between suppliers.

Mazda CX-5 - Tyre Replacement - FP

Toyos are OK, so replacing one tyre is the easiest and cheapest way of dealing with the problem.

However, if you have the Sport model with skinny tyres, Pirelli are more comfortable, but it's safest to fit a pair.

Last summer I had the misfortune to have both back tyres simultaneously damaged by nails and have been impressed with the Pirellis.

To reset the tyre monitoring system, start the car and press the reset button.

Edited by FP on 07/08/2020 at 09:01

Mazda CX-5 - Tyre Replacement - Engineer Andy

Pop in your car's details on tyre fitter websites (I use Black Circles) to find out what's generally available.

As regards what to choose, I'd also check out the Tyre Reviews website - you can search by car (yours should be there, but make sure its the gen-2 car and not the older gen-1, which may be fitted with a different sized tyre, even when using the same diameter wheel).

This may give you some indication of what tyres are better than others. The reviews the website carries, some in house, but most reported from motoring magazines, should also help. I'm not sure if yours are just 'general' tyres or those specifically made for SUVs (which always carry a premium). You may wish to see if there's a CX-5 'owners' club website, as the forum there may help guide your decision from what other owners' experiences have been. I do this for my Mazda3.

Note also that as some tyre size combos are far more common than others, and this may well determine whether you pay either or both more for the tyre, or have to make do with a lower quality or older designed tyre.

It often pays to shop around, especially for less common tyre size combos, in order to get newer designed, better (on both performance, longevity and mpg) tyres for a reasonable price.

Mazda CX-5 - Tyre Replacement - mcb100

I think CX-5 has 'bolt-in' tyre valves, as opposed to the regular rubber ones. This means they have a sensor in the tyre that reports into the car as to the pressure. If the wheel is going back on the same corner, just drive it normally and the sensor should communicate without any resetting needed.

If it's a rubber valve, set the tyre to the correct pressure, and usually press and hold the TPMS button to tell the car that the tyres are at the correct pressure. If it then senses a difference in wheel speed because a tyre is deflating, it will flag up a soft tyre.

Any competent tyre fitter will have seen and dealt with hundreds of them.

Mazda CX-5 - Tyre Replacement - gordonbennet

Rear tyre only covered 13k i would hope for a repair, i'd be off to a friendly competent tyre fitter, who will be able to wash the muck out and if the puncture is repairable will fix it for you, if this works out don't forget to drop the price of a couple of pints into the hand of the fitter who does the job or drop a box of biscuits or quality street on when next passing if they've gone above and beyond.