2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - John F

Not much on here today, so here's a little puzzle. Ever since bought new in October there has been a 'tinging' rattle lasting only a second or two apparently from inside the 'B'pillar just below the seat belt attachment best heard with the driver's R ear. Yesterday we eventually made our first post-purchase return visit to Arbury motors for them to investigate and fix. I described it as sounding like a nail hanging from a piece of string swinging and tapping against the interior metalwork whenever slowing down or veering to the left. After a sunny afternoon pic-nicking and people-watching in nearby Leamington Spa Park, we returned to be proudly told the solution. They nearly gave up, but all credit to them for perseverance...'Peugeots don't rattle, sir'. Naturally I had scoured the internet for a possible solution but apart from a batch of early disintegrating BIO cambelts and one report of a spark plug breaking up I could find no significant problem with this model.

Looking forward to your guesses - answer tomorrow evening.

Edited by John F on 30/07/2020 at 13:33

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - bathtub tom

Ball bearing in the inertia seat belt mechanism.

Wiring for 'door closed' or internal light.

Edited by smug bellend #1 on 30/07/2020 at 14:37

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - elekie&a/c doctor
Filigree Siberian hamster working out on his treadmill . ?
2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - bathtub tom

Assembly line worker's ring/earring/nose stud/ other piercing.

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - catsdad

Wiring connector block swinging loose?

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - Andrew-T

Anything to do with airbags (I presume it has side ones fitted) ?

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - sammy1

No answer to your rattle but the 2008 is prone to front shock absorber failure which in my instance sounded like a tinny rattle. Took ages to diagnose initially thought it was something to do with the transmission. Happened around 35k, probably due to the state of the roads.

Have you got any loose fillings?

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - Oli rag

Does anyone remember the 80's vw golf advert, where a laughing mechanic came out of his garage to fix a squeak, by using an oil can on the lady passengers earring!

The strap line was " if only everything in life was as reliable as a volkswagen". Not sure if was true then, or now.

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - paul 1963

I'm voting for a odd screw rattling around, probably somewhere really inaccessible.

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - John F

Elecie-doc gave me the best lol I've had all day, but paul 1963 is the closest. On our return the man at Arbury proudly brandished a sturdy looking bolt of the type and size used for locating a seat belt attachment. It had been retrieved with some difficulty from the depths of the B pillar where it had been gently rolling about. I can only guess that a butterfingered assembler on the production line dropped it and failed to retrieve it in time before the bodyshell passed to the the next station. Anyway, well done Arbury Peugeot Leamington Spa.

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - Andrew-T

And presumably that loose bolt might have led to internal corrosion over the years ?

2019 Peugeot 2008 - Rattle puzzle - focussed

Way back in the 1980's I bought an ex demo 2 litre Capri. The one that superceded the early hockey-stick model.

I was fitting some wiring for rear speakers so removed the rear seat squab. Underneath on top of the metal floor I found a large selection of assorted black self tappers, spire nuts, plastic clips etc, like it had been dumped there. So much there was a cupped double handful of the stuff. Came in very handy! I've still got a few left!