2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - Llewelle

Been advised of an uneconomical repair with my car, which has always been mechanically trustworthy until the keyless start failed me before lockdown. I am in turmoil over what to do as the repairs will be in excess of the value of the car. It has done 105,000 miles and needs check a new ID controller unit and Keyless start control unit to 'see if it helps' as they are unsure of the issue due to an unexpected response on the ECU. They say it will then need reprogramming and resting but that other work may need doing if these modules don't sort the issue. It has done me a good service and in the climate of the times, I have to wonder whether it is worth attempting to fix or to sell as spare and repairs. Thanks in advance for any replies.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - elekie&a/c doctor
This sounds like a pretty drastic repair on a not particularly old car . Can it really need all these parts .? Looks like the garage is guessing at what’s wrong. How much is the repair cost? Car is possibly worth around £2k

They say they need to remove the dashboard to replace the 2 module that have died to see if this gives them a response. I am being told my car is worth 2k and the 'repair' is being quoted at £2333.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - dan86

Been advised of an uneconomical repair with my car, which has always been mechanically trustworthy until the keyless start failed me before lockdown. I am in turmoil over what to do as the repairs will be in excess of the value of the car. It has done 105,000 miles and needs check a new ID controller unit and Keyless start control unit to 'see if it helps' as they are unsure of the issue due to an unexpected response on the ECU. They say it will then need reprogramming and resting but that other work may need doing if these modules don't sort the issue. It has done me a good service and in the climate of the times, I have to wonder whether it is worth attempting to fix or to sell as spare and repairs. Thanks in advance for any replies.

It all depends on you, if you want a newer car this can be justification to get a new one, on the other hand of it's been reliable like moat Suzuki's are and you know this cars history then it could be worth paying the money to get it fixed. My 10 year old Suzuki has been utterly faultless only ever needing service items a battery and a break light bulb, and would happily pay to repair it over getting a newer car as it's never let me down yet(touch wood).

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - Ethan Edwards

Try part exchange against newer Swift. Dealers are reportedly very keen to sell at the moment. It won't cost them much to fix it and the current Swift is very good indeed.

Have they tried a battery disconnect reset procedure. ? Very often electronic systems lock out and can be rebooted by this method .
2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - piggy

Why not take it to an independent auto electrician? I was quoted £700 for changing an actuator in the air con on my Mazda 6. A local indy fixed it for £35! I bought the part on line for £85, so a total of £120. Quite a saving on £700+.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - John F

I don't fully understand either the problem or the diagnosis. Can't you just use the ignition key manually? My Audi has a 'keyless start' system whereby as long as the key is in your pocket you just push a small button to start the engine. But if for any reason it doesn't work, inserting the metal key into the steering column ignition lock does the trick.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - tanvir

Agree - MILs Swift (2007) key has a blade inside, you have to slide a switch on the back to remove it: https://tinyurl.com/y6u2jxgn

This can then be inserted in the middle of the ignition switch you rotate to start the car.

2011 model is the next shape though...

Edited by tanvir on 17/06/2020 at 11:20

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - Doc

The later Swift (certainly 2012) does not have a steering column ignition switch.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - Terry W

As already advised I would definitely try a decent auto electrician. They will almost certainly be cheaper and may even know of a workaround to solve the problem - as far as I can see keyless start failures are fairly common.

Main dealers (a) like to follow the book, and (b) want to sell you a new car.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - sammy1

Agree with others Auto electrician first.

Most cars with keyless start have an emergency procedure , whereby the key is placed over the area of the push to start button . The electronics then recognises the chip in the key fob.

The later Swift (certainly 2012) does not have a steering column ignition switch.

Are you sure? They are often hidden behind a cover. The one in our Nissan certainly is.

You would think, I agree. Apparently mine doesn't have one and neither key is responding. This is part of the brief on the estimate: 'check and report on non start - carried out check and checking procedure - no ignition - feed 12v to ignition and ignition comes on - unable to carry out and programming for keys and keyless start due to unexpected response from ECU'.

When you push the start button , can you hear the steering lock release ? If this is not happening, then the ignition won’t turn on .

No this doesn't happen. The start stop button is soft, if that makes sense.

With 105000miles on the clock that start button must have been pressed quite a few times, are you sure it is not just a faulty button?

This is what I first thought but Suzuki say it's an ECU issue. I am hoping they have thought of the possibilities, including this one, before their 'vague' diagnosis:

'check and report on non start - carried out check and checking procedure - no ignition - feed

12v to ignition and ignition comes on - unable to carry out and programming for keys and keyless start due to unexpected response from ECU.

Suspect it Requires ID controller unit or Keyless start control unit or both - at this stage we have no way of telling , these units are behind the dashboard and will require programming and retesting. May need other work if these modules don't sort the issue.'

Edited by Llewelle on 20/06/2020 at 08:44

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - John F

Assuming no cheap solution is possible, with such an old and not very valuable car, could you 'hot-wire' it directly from the positive terminal via a switch discretely screwed onto the dash?

Suzuki must have some guided fault finding test plan that needs to be followed step by step . The biggest problem with modern electronic systems , is that all the modules work in a network. It only needs one of these to be faulty , and the “chain “ is broken , and nothing operates correctly.

No this doesn't happen. The start stop button is soft, if that makes sense

When you say the button is SOFT do you mean that you think the feel of the button has changed to what you had before the fault?

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - paul 1963

He means the button is a soft touch thing as per your phone's keypad rather than a switch that makes a positive 'click'.

When pushing usually there is a tension behind it but it is slack. It would light up too but doesn't.

When pushing usually there is a tension behind it but it is slack. It would light up too but doesn't.

Maybe the switch us faulty?

If you are not confident to check the button yourself then auto elec is your best bet.

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - Simon

"Put right what you see wrong first"

If the switch doesn't feel right, I'd try a new one first.

Great advice. It is a lot to consider everything at once.

A good auto electrician or competent indi garage would be able to do the job of the ignition switch much cheaper than a main dealer.

What area do you live in maybe someone on here will be able to recomend someone.

An update on my car, which I've finally had delivered back to me after stored during lockdown.

Battery was flat (to be expected) so new battery installed. The car won't start still and no light on start/stop button. Lights on dashboard (orange key light is on).

In N, the car is in its first state, minus ignition and responds to the door being open. The alarm sound is the same as if you were to leave a door is open when driving. I also noticed that when the driver door is shut and the key is with me, that the car alarms to tell me that the key is not in the car. So all but the car actually firing is 'normal' and central locking works. Both keys have new batteries (something I initially tried when it all went pear shaped).

Does the car think it is in D or is this a normal response when in N? We are considering changing the start stop button as suggested above (thanks).

2011 Suzuki Swift - Scrap or repair? - paul 1963

Don't suppose you've tried it in "P" ? I'm sure the doc would know but I wonder how difficult it is to disconnect the starter inhibitor switch on the gearbox just to see what happens.

It is basically stuck in that state, even in P too but all good responses in N. I have to disconnect the battery to prevent it draining.