Vauxhall Astravan - Crank no start - Shandythumper

My astravan MK4 (Z16SE engine) will crank but won't start.

I've confirmed I have spark, fuel, air and that the timing is ok. Compression test showed the following: 175 175 120 160 - the van does have a small coolant leak so maybe has a cracked cylinder head. The head gasket has recently been replaced but didn't solve the leak and was running ok until a few weeks ago.

I have replaced ECU, EGR valve, and crank & cam sensors.

I also have fuel in tank!!

My question is should an engine start with the above compression readings?
Thank you

Vauxhall Astravan - Crank no start - elekie&a/c doctor
One cylinder a bit low on compression, but there is plenty enough to make it run . Try removing the top lambda sensor , just in case the exhaust is blocked . What is actual fuel pressure? How did you manage to change the engine Ecu, it’s coded to the car?

Hi, thanks for reply.

ECU was coded with opcom.

My fuel pressure tester connection doesn't fit the schrader valve on the fuel rail so removed fuel rail/ injectors and connected back up on top of engine to confirm injectors were spraying fuel. All good. Not sure if they under/over deliver fuel though due to the fact I can't connect the pressure tester.

Any thoughts on how to test the fuel pressure? I was going to remove the fuel inlet hose from the rail to connect but the lower end of this hose has a permanent connection so that's no good.

Attempted to remove the lamda sensor but couldn't as it looks like you need a deep socket (which I don't have!) and there isn't room to get standard spanner on. Again any thoughts?

Appreciate your help.

Looks like you have everything you need , but doesn’t go. If the injectors have a good spray , then the pressure is probably ok. Really need to get a good 22mm lambda sensor socket . Alternatively, drop the front exhaust off the manifold . However this may create more issues if the bolts snap .

Thanks elekie&a/c doctor and railroad. Your replies have made me to look at the exhaust as a possible cause of the crank no start which I hadn't really considered before.

Today I removed the exhaust manifold (includes the cat) to access the lambda sensor and check for blockages etc. The manifold is clear, obviously has carbon build up but all clear. On inspection the bottom of the cat looked fine but after removing the top lambda sensor I could see that the top part of the cat mesh has some damage - a roughly 25mm crater in the centre. Not a hole but a 5-10mm deep indent. Could this mean that the cat is damaged/blocked and causing the no start? Is there a way to test a cat? I don't want to keep throwing money at the van unless it's highly probable that this is the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Vauxhall Astravan - Crank no start - Railroad.

A petrol engine needs five things to run. If all five are good then there is no reason why it won't run.

1. Good supply of clean air

2. Good supply of fuel

3. Good compression

4. Good HT spark at the right time

5. A clear unrestricted exhaust.

All have equal importance so make sure they're all good. If your engine won't run then one or more of these will be the cause.

Thanks elekie&a/c doctor and railroad. Your replies have made me to look at the exhaust as a possible cause of the crank no start which I hadn't really considered before.

Today I removed the exhaust manifold (includes the cat) to access the lambda sensor and check for blockages etc. The manifold is clear, obviously has carbon build up but all clear. On inspection the bottom of the cat looked fine but after removing the top lambda sensor I could see that the top part of the cat mesh has some damage - a roughly 25mm crater in the centre. Not a hole but a 5-10mm deep indent. Could this mean that the cat is damaged/blocked and causing the no start? Is there a way to test a cat? I don't want to keep throwing money at the van unless it's highly probable that this is the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Have you tried starting it with the exhaust removed ? Just be careful, there will be hot gases and possible flames .

Thanks elekie&a/c doctor. Good point.

No I haven't tried to start it with the exhaust off - I damaged one of the fuel injector top o rings when refitting the injectors so I definitely need to replace this before starting her up or the fuel and possible flame mix could be the end of the van and me!!

I will order the o ring and once I have the fuel rail back in I will see if it will start with the exhaust off. This will prove either the cat or exhaust system is the problem or that the problem lies elsewhere.

i will clean and test the lambda sensor tomorrow.

Your help is very much appreciated.

Forget cleaning the lambda sensor . The engine will run fine without it . Not really possible to test it unless the engine is running . You can test the resistance of the heater circuit to the sensor across the two white wires, but that’s not important at this point .

Ok thanks.

If the lambda sensor shows any reading on opcom does this prove that the sensor is fully working and therefore sending a signal to correct the air/ fuel ratio?

A faulty lambda sensor, regardless of what's wrong with it will not prevent the engine from running. It only fine tunes the fuel/air mixture. It does not determine it from the outset. When in Closed Loop the lambda sensor reports to the ECM information regarding oxygen levels, which in turn makes adjustments to the fuel/air ratio. This is needed to ensure the catalyst works and to keep the mixture correctly balanced.

Thanks for the detailed explanation Railroad.

I can now cross the lambda sensor off the list!

I have now ordered a new injector o ring so, once fitted, I will attempt to start the engine with the exhaust manifold removed.

Surely it's got to be the cat/ exhaust as all the other requirements are being met - fuel, spark, compression, air.....

Refitted the fuel rail today and attempted to start the van with the exhaust manifold disconnected - still no start!

Obviously something wrong but running out of ideas now... Any ideas anyone?

Assuming the engine is drawing air, the compressions are good, and the exhaust is clear. If you're sure they all are you'll have eliminated a lot already. Make sure the spark plugs are clean and dry. If they're wet with fuel the engine could be flooding with excess fuel. If they're oil fouled you could have a lot of other problems.

Have you tried a spray of brake cleaner into the air intake? If it starts you'll know the problem is fuel. If it still doesn't then suspect an HT spark fault.

Edited by Railroad. on 18/04/2020 at 18:49