Advice-not using car due to self isolation - FoxyJukebox

Can't see myself using my MazdaCX3 till "all this flu" has blown over( 12 weeks minimum) ....can't go out either, although car is parked outside house....should i

1) Start it up every few days and leave engine running with an occasional rev for 10 mins? 20 mins? 30 mins?

2) Let handbrake off/keep handbrake on?

3) How can i ensure effectiveness of footbrakes?

4) What else other than get a non isolater to give it a nice long run once a week?

5) Sell car?

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - primus 1

Well if your only self isolating, what’s stopping you taking the car out on a run every couple of days, as long as you don’t come into contact with others, then just clean the surfaces you touch in the car when you get back

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - FP

Primus is right - take it for a drive yourself. You are isolated from others in the car. Once a week should be enough.

Edited by FP on 22/03/2020 at 10:40

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Bromptonaut

I think there are two different lines people might be following:

Self Isolation - confined to the house food and supplies left on the doorstep. This applies to people with symptoms, people who have been exposed to a possible case and those (eg immuno-compromised) with very serious health condition. I think this group definition has been amended today but still does not automatically apply to over seventies. If in this group is probable your GP or consultant has advised you to self isolate.

Social Distancing - travel only if necessary, avoid public transport, work at home etc, keep distance from others including shop staff but OK to shop for groceries, pharmacy medicine etc. The over seventies should follow this advice rigorously.

If the OP is self isolating then, IMHO, driving car himself is not within spirit of rules even if he keeps doors/windows shut and does not stop or leave vehicle

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - FoxyJukebox

Yes Bromptonaut--that is my understanding of it--thankyou......especially agree with your "not within the spirit of the rules" comment--that's me.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - John F

1) Go for a drive every two weeks, at least five miles to warm everything up. My 40yr old TR7 often lies idle for two or even three weeks at a time in winter.

2) Unless on a hill, leave the handbrake off.....and car in first gear or 'P', of course.

3) The 'footbrakes' will remain effective if used every few weeks.

4) If you are that concerned about airborne C-19, put the ventilation on 'recirculation'

5) Disconnect battery after each of your fortnightly runs.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Avant

I posted this somewhere in the general section, but it's worth repeating here. Good positive note from the editor of Autocar this week: 'What better way to self-isolate than being on your own in the car, enjoying the simple pleasure of driving?'

I don't think there's any more risk in filling up with petrol than there is with shopping: bu you could always use the gloves that they provide at fuel stations, or take your own rubber gloves if you have them.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Random

And, unless already mentioned, use pay at pump if possible.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Falkirk Bairn

Give the car a run 1 x per week - this will do the car a run & solve any issues about battery, tyre flats etc etc

It will also blow away the cabin fever of staying in the 4 walls.

In fact a flask & sandwiches & sit near a park - in the car will be great - no need to get out of the car if there are others about.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Doc

Your car will come to no harm for a couple of months unused. The only item that may need attention is the battery.

Consider all those vehicles kept in compounds and forecourts for long periods.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - mhenderson

I've been told I must not leave the house until 15 June, though I may open a window. I do charge the battery every few days though. I suppose I could let my daughter use it a few times, as she is on the insurance. That would give it a shock. Can't decide what to do.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Smileyman

I've received the same message, don't think I am supposed to go into my own garden!

Car is parked on the driveway, I am minded to leave it for a month then start it up and run to warm alternate weeks, but not to actually drive anywhere whilst being isolated all the time. Likewise for wife's car parked on the street just across the road. The complication is that this car is due a MOT in May.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - catsdad

After last night’s announcements none of us is now allowed a trip just for the car’s sake. I have always walked to the shops most days. Now I will shop less frequently and take the car as load carrier and that will keep it running.

Other than that, if I couldn’t run it to the shops, I would start it every ten days or so, letting it reach operating temperature to reduce risk of moist exhaust and condensation in the engine. As others have mentioned I would leave the handbrake off (car in gear) but operate it a few times while the car warms up. I would also shift the car back and forward a tad to avoid flat spotting although I doubt that is a risk just for a few weeks. I did this for our son’s car when he left it at home for extended periods as a student and it did the job.

Having said that a friend used to go the US for the winter and leave his Mondeo untended in UK and it used to start first time after a battery charge. Maybe a simpler car in those days?

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - madf

My wife's car does approx 1,000 miles a year and she has never driven more than 3,000 miles a year in 40 years of owning a car.

If you park the car when wet or outside, leave the handbrake off. If teh rear brakes are disks, leave the hadbrake off.

Move the car a few feet every month to avoid flat spotting tyres.

Charge the battery once a month and check tyre pressures.

When you do drive it , run at least 10 miles to ensure the engine condensation is driven off .

Period.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - mhenderson

Just had the official letter, and it says to go into the garden if you can. I suppose I'll have to cut the grass as well.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Engineer Andy

I'm hoping that the authorities will allow car owners to make best use of their cars, responsibly, of course.

Rather than just go for a drive (sufficient to keep the tyres from flat-spotting, brakes and battery in good nick - mine's now 4yo+ and in the window for replacement), what about using the car to drive to a town 10 miles or so away to do my grocery shop, but I'd only need to do so once every 1-2 weeks, depending on how cold it was?

I get enough exercise anyway other than that. Me shopping elsewhere is no different to locally, risk-wise, especially as I shop when it is less busy around 9-10am.

Any thoughts?

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - chesterfieldhouse

I'm hoping that the authorities will allow car owners to make best use of their cars, responsibly, of course.

Rather than just go for a drive (sufficient to keep the tyres from flat-spotting, brakes and battery in good nick - mine's now 4yo+ and in the window for replacement), what about using the car to drive to a town 10 miles or so away to do my grocery shop, but I'd only need to do so once every 1-2 weeks, depending on how cold it was?

I get enough exercise anyway other than that. Me shopping elsewhere is no different to locally, risk-wise, especially as I shop when it is less busy around 9-10am.

Any thoughts?

Yep, that's what l'll be doing. l think it's reasonable to keep shopping down to once every couple of weeks (if possible) & it'll give the motor a run out.

l also wanted to ask peoples opinion on parking & use of handbrake/gears. l have a Toyota RAV4 (2005 mark 2) D4D. Being retired particularly over the winter period, it doesn't see much use & l've noticed after its been parked for several days (in neutral/handbrake on) there's a slight "clunk" l presume as the pads release. There are all round disks, but l believe there are separate pads on the rear for the handbrake.

l was always taught to apply the handbrake & leave in neutral (unless on a hill engage both) So would be interested to hear if parking (on the flat) in first gear would be more beneficial & are there any considerations with the clutch in doing so?

l also wanted to ask peoples opinion on parking & use of handbrake/gears.......

l was always taught to apply the handbrake & leave in neutral (unless on a hill engage both) So would be interested to hear if parking (on the flat) in first gear would be more beneficial & are there any considerations with the clutch in doing so?

Please read my Sunday post above. There are no 'clutch considerations' that I can think of.

Why don't people disconnect the battery after using a rarely used car? You don't usually need a spanner with a well fitting lightly vaselined lead terminal if you do it regularly. For my TR7 I just press and slightly twist it on...and then just twist it off at the end of my journey. The advice is to disconnect the negative terminal but I actually disconnect the positive, because I think it reduces the effect over time of corroding microcurrents. It seems to have worked because the car is nearly 40yrs old with its original sills and there is no significant corrosion. All the electrics and relays still work, the pop-up headlamps have never failed and there are never any worries about the battery being flat.

The battery will last longer too. II see from my records it dates from 2007. Admittedly, batteries have got much better this century. Before that, replacement dates were 2002, 1996, 1991 and 1984. Possibly I bought a more expensive one in 2007

Edited by John F on 25/03/2020 at 12:00

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Andrew-T

<< I see from my records it dates from 2007. Admittedly, batteries have got much better this century. Before that, replacement dates were 2002, 1996, 1991 and 1984. Possibly I bought a more expensive one in 2007. >>

John, when your TR7 is sitting idle there should be zero drain on the battery because the car has no clever electronics. My 306 (1994) is the same. I think newer cars have increasing amounts of electrical goings-on which don't benefit from extended disconnections.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - dadbif
If you do not intend driving at all, over inflate your tyres to around 45 psi, this avoids the need to move the car to prevent flat spotting, disconnect battery or connect to trickle charger.
I shall continue to drive, (75) windows shut, less traffic, mk1 mx5=joy.
However I suspect our ever vigilant constabulary would frown on top down motoring, pity with the current weather.
However I suspect our ever vigilant constabulary would frown on top down motoring, pity with the current weather.

I would have thought top-down motoring might be better than polluting a closed vehicle, and I can't imagine you infecting anyone else while going for a spin. Just don't stop in a crowded street ....

If you do not intend driving at all, over inflate your tyres to around 45 psi, this avoids the need to move the car to prevent flat spotting, disconnect battery or connect to trickle charger. I shall continue to drive, (75) windows shut, less traffic, mk1 mx5=joy. However I suspect our ever vigilant constabulary would frown on top down motoring, pity with the current weather.

Unfortunately I cannot plug in a trickle charger - I live in a flat. My car is new enough (2005 build) to have enough electronics (not just the radio) that need the battery to remain connected.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - chesterfieldhouse

Yes, l can see what you're saying. However, when l say the car isn't used that much in the winter it's not often this is beyond a couple of weeks, so the battery should be OK.

The battery only has a small cover, just about enough to get to the terminals & disconnecting any terminal wouldn't be something l'd like to do on a regular basis. The battery is situated at the back of the engine bay, up against the near side bulkhead & to improve access, to remove it, you have to remove a piece of trim. You can't leave this off, as it goes up to the bottom of the windscreen to form a seal & held in place by half a dozen or so of those plastic rivet type things.

Thanks for your point as to clutch though, l was more concerned with that.

Edited by chesterfieldhouse on 25/03/2020 at 15:27

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Mr D Og

Today's Government announcement was supposed to clarify confusion over whether people could drive somewhere to go walking, running or cycling.

This is an extract:

stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible - do not travel unnecessarily.

There is nowhere suitable near me to exercise my dog so I pop him in the boot and drive about 2 miles to places where he can have run. I would say I'm staying local and not travelling unnecessarily but I wonder what the police will think?

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - alan1302

Today's Government announcement was supposed to clarify confusion over whether people could drive somewhere to go walking, running or cycling.

This is an extract:

stay local and use open spaces near to your home where possible - do not travel unnecessarily.

There is nowhere suitable near me to exercise my dog so I pop him in the boot and drive about 2 miles to places where he can have run. I would say I'm staying local and not travelling unnecessarily but I wonder what the police will think?

I'd say you are traveling unnecessarily - just walk the dog in your street.

<< I'd say you are traveling unnecessarily - just walk the dog in your street. >>

Surely the travelling is unimportant, it's what happens at the end of the journey that matters ? I have a nasty feeling about Derbyshire police using drones to spy on lone individuals walking in the Peak, saying it was 'Unnecessary'. Well, I suppose it was, but I see no contribution to spreading the C-virus - just an unpleasant threat to people going harmlessly about their lawful business.

I agree Andrew, and you were right further up the page too. You can't infect or be infected by just going for a drive, But best not to stop anywhere where other people might congregate.

Unless crime has dropped dramatically, one would hope that police officers would have better things to do.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Will deBeast

? I have a nasty feeling about Derbyshire police using drones to spy on lone individuals walking in the Peak, saying it was 'Unnecessary'. Well, I suppose it was, but I see no contribution to spreading the C-virus...

That's true, unless you slip and need mountain rescue.

None of us go out intending to need to call, but my friend who is a volunteer rescuer has had a few calls. You can't social distance whilst carrying a stretcher.

<< That's true, unless you slip and need mountain rescue. None of us goes out intending to need to call, >>

Well, no. But an unplanned accident could happen while walking the dog in the local street, with the same possible consequences - not for Mountain Rescue, admittedly, but some other emergency service. The chain of unlikely events can be stretched as far as you like, with increasing degrees of paranoia. The essential criterion is to avoid touching others, or objects possibly contaminated by others. Easily avoided on a country footpath.

Surely the travelling is unimportant, it's what happens at the end of the journey that matters ? I have a nasty feeling about Derbyshire police using drones to spy on lone individuals walking in the Peak, saying it was 'Unnecessary'. Well, I suppose it was, but I see no contribution to spreading the C-virus - just an unpleasant threat to people going harmlessly about their lawful business.

I think there is a danger in 'honeypot' areas like the national parks that numbers travelling will overwhelm facilities like parking and access points such that two metres operation is at risk.

My daughter walks he dog in a local park in walking distance of her house in Flintshire which is also, in normal times, a regional facility. The council have closed it because apparently it's drawing people from Wrexham and over the border in England and overwhelming the parking.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - nellyjak

I think there is a danger in 'honeypot' areas like the national parks that numbers travelling will overwhelm facilities like parking and access points such that two metres operation is at risk.

My daughter walks he dog in a local park in walking distance of her house in Flintshire which is also, in normal times, a regional facility. The council have closed it because apparently it's drawing people from Wrexham and over the border in England and overwhelming the parking.

Agree.....the theory of getting out to somewhere more isolated only holds good until everyone else does the same....in the same place.!

I live only a couple of miles from Rutland Water and Anglian Water decided to cancel all parking charges...so last weekend when it was lovely the hoards descended...and now all access to it has been closed.!

That was my fear as well. The roads/lack of parking and entrance to the 'walks' are bottlenecks.

<< I'd say you are traveling unnecessarily - just walk the dog in your street. >>

The travelling is very important as well.

If you have a crash it stretches resoruces, if you break down someone needs to come out to help, more risk. You need petrol/diesel so go to petrol station, more risk.

People need to just stay in unless they need to go out.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - glidermania

There's nothing to stop you running the engine for 10 minutes or so on your drive or garage with the garage door open once a week. If you can, move the car forward or backwards a little so the tyres dont flatspot.

Our 2015 Twingo is always parked up in the garage in gear with the handbrake on.

If you have a Cytek or similar conditioning charger, hook the car up to that.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - oldgit

There's nothing to stop you running the engine for 10 minutes or so on your drive or garage with the garage door open once a week. If you can, move the car forward or backwards a little so the tyres dont flatspot.

Our 2015 Twingo is always parked up in the garage in gear with the handbrake on.

If you have a Cytek or similar conditioning charger, hook the car up to that.

My new neighbour next door, had a diesel van presumably with a flat battery and the said vehicle had its engine running on his drive for about 5 hours.

I wasn't really sure as to whether I should knock on his door wondering whether he'd forgotten the engine was running for so long but there was noise at half seven in the evening.

<< If you have a crash it stretches resources, if you break down someone needs to come out to help, more risk. >>

As I said above, you can devise increasingly improbable chains of events which could conceivably involve emergency services. You could damage yourself doing DiY at home; you could have a heart attack, etc, etc. Risk is there all the time. Even staying in bed all day might have some risk attached. Rational people should not be prohibited from making sensible decisions about their (and others') safety.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - glidermania

<< If you have a crash it stretches resources, if you break down someone needs to come out to help, more risk. >>

As I said above, you can devise increasingly improbable chains of events which could conceivably involve emergency services. You could damage yourself doing DiY at home; you could have a heart attack, etc, etc. Risk is there all the time. Even staying in bed all day might have some risk attached. Rational people should not be prohibited from making sensible decisions about their (and others') safety.

Who decides who is 'rational'?

<< Who decides who is 'rational'? >>

There's no rational answer to that, but I'm sure you know exactly what I mean - to exclude children, those with dementia, to name two possibilities. I am probably just as safe at home as walking 300 yards down the main street (especially with the very thin traffic these days) taking care to keep clear of others and trying not to touch frequently-handled objects.

It's not improbable though - the more people that go out when they shouldn't the more issues it causes.

The government have told you not to go out unless food/medicine is required or you need to go to work when you can't work from home.

People such as yourself are putting people at risk and will cause the government to put in stricter controls as you just want to do your own thing.

<< It's not improbable though - the more people that go out when they shouldn't the more issues it causes. The government have told you not to go out unless food/medicine is required or you need to go to work when you can't work from home. People such as yourself are putting people at risk and will cause the government to put in stricter controls as you just want to do your own thing. >>

Yes, it is improbable, but I agree, not impossible. I have tried to persuade you that while we all try not to 'put people at risk', there is always risk somewhere. The precautions which clearly must be taken in busy work centres and big cities do not necessarily have to be applied everywhere. I believe my behaviour is appropriate for my local conditions - which you may not be familiar with.

I believe my behaviour is appropriate for my local conditions - which you may not be familiar with.

Everyone needs to follow the same rules - you can't have one rule for one and no others.

It would be like a cafe opening and saying that they are ok as they are in a quiet rural location and only have 1 customer at a time.

<< Everyone needs to follow the same rules - you can't have one rule for one and no others. >>

Yes and no - hence all the exclusions and inclusions appended to the very basic simple rules issued recently. No-one should forget that behind every rule there is a reason, which need not necessarily apply in every situation. But of course it's so much easier just to enforce a rule because 'it's the rule'. Unfortunately for the authorities we are not in the services, so not obliged to obey every command to the letter. We have been given strong advice.

If you have a crash it stretches resoruces, if you break down someone needs to come out to help, more risk. You need petrol/diesel so go to petrol station, more risk.

So what happens as more people either get sick or have to self-isolate, and those OK are called on to help? Cars need to be used, and if not, their tyres will flatspot, batteries go dead (no use for people like me in a flat to buy a trickle charger - besides - how many people have touched it from manufacturer to me) and brakes bind.

The breakdown services would far more likely have to be called out for that and take more time/resources (batteries and tyres) away from where they are actually needed. We just need to drive carefully for a reasonable distance, enough to warm up the car and keep it in decent condition, essentially 15-25 miles in total. For most cars, that gives about 16-25 trips without needing to fill up, which doing so once a fortnight is between a third and half a YEAR.

Not THAT much of a risk compared to potentially hundreds, maybe thousands of extra battery replacements per day at a crutial time when mobile people are needed.

So what happens as more people either get sick or have to self-isolate, and those OK are called on to help? Cars need to be used, and if not, their tyres will flatspot, batteries go dead (no use for people like me in a flat to buy a trickle charger - besides - how many people have touched it from manufacturer to me) and brakes bind.

The breakdown services would far more likely have to be called out for that and take more time/resources (batteries and tyres) away from where they are actually needed. We just need to drive carefully for a reasonable distance, enough to warm up the car and keep it in decent condition, essentially 15-25 miles in total. For most cars, that gives about 16-25 trips without needing to fill up, which doing so once a fortnight is between a third and half a YEAR.

Not THAT much of a risk compared to potentially hundreds, maybe thousands of extra battery replacements per day at a crutial time when mobile people are needed.

If people need to travel due to others being sick or self isolating - then that's fine.

Most people won't need to do anything with their cars as they will use them to get their food shopping and think you are making this to be a bigger issue that it is.

If people need to travel due to others being sick or self isolating - then that's fine.

Most people won't need to do anything with their cars as they will use them to get their food shopping and think you are making this to be a bigger issue that it is.

I don't think I'm making a bigger issue than it is, mainly because many people have no other use for their car now than grocery shopping, and most people can drive to their local supermarket in about 5 minutes, not enough time for their car to fully warm up, recharge the battery and make sufficient use of the brakes etc to keep them all working fine.

Why let otherwise perfectly good cars waste away in a matter of weeks when they can be kept in good nick with minimal 'extra' use and a very low risk of accidents and breakdowns (far less than if the battery goes, tyres flatspot, brakes seize, etc and you have to call out the RAC etc or need the use of a tyre fitter).

I don't think I'm making a bigger issue than it is, mainly because many people have no other use for their car now than grocery shopping, and most people can drive to their local supermarket in about 5 minutes, not enough time for their car to fully warm up, recharge the battery and make sufficient use of the brakes etc to keep them all working fine.

Why let otherwise perfectly good cars waste away in a matter of weeks when they can be kept in good nick with minimal 'extra' use and a very low risk of accidents and breakdowns (far less than if the battery goes, tyres flatspot, brakes seize, etc and you have to call out the RAC etc or need the use of a tyre fitter).

Use your brain then...instead of going to the 5 minute away supermarket go for the one that's further so your car gets a proper use and then no need to go out for a run in the car just to keep it in good order.

Use your brain then...instead of going to the 5 minute away supermarket go for the one that's further so your car gets a proper use and then no need to go out for a run in the car just to keep it in good order.

Yes, but I STILL need to gop grocery shopping. Please tell me the difference between going in one shop and the the other. My local smaller shop doesn't have a full range of groceries, some I have to shop in the far more crowded larger one which is either fully stocked but busy, or empty and nothing in I need nearer the end of the day.

The larger shop in a nearby (larger) town is more likely to be less busy outside of the early doors NHS & OAP hours, as opposed to mine, because my area has far less OAPs than the other town - my Dad told me of a similar situation where he lives. If it is busy, then I won't get out of my car and just drive home and accept it.

Note that the Police may stop me, and if I say I'm just 'going out for a drive', they will tell me to go home as I have no reason to be driving. At least going grocery shopping IS a valid reason, and I'm only going to do this once a fortnight. Some neighbours go out shopping at least once a day, some still visiting friends, partners, family members, etc and who are NOT self-isolating.

I AM using my brain. I would gladly just 'go for a drive' if the Police would let people (sensibly) do to keep their vehicles in roadworthy order.

One of the problems I raised eleswhere on this front is lots people getting similar ideas to go visit a local 'nice walk' spot but which has little or no parking, leading to local congestion and potentially lots of people in a small area with nowhere to go/difficult to turn their car around.

I've seen that happen whilst on holiday over many years in Cornwall.

I would say that unless you're the only person (guaranteed) that knows of a spot, then don't risk it.

When I go out in my car next week to the next town to give the car a run and do my grocery shop, I may even park away from the supermarket car park on a quiet side street I know of that rarely has any cars parked on. If it's not, then I'll brave the car park. It'll be no different to going to my local supermarket.

I did mention on this other forum that it probably isn't a good idea for dog owners to let their animal off the lead, as they could (by touch) pass the virus onto other people as the dog 'say hello' to passers by or other dogs.

<< I did mention on this other forum that it probably isn't a good idea for dog owners to let their animal off the lead, as they could (by touch) pass the virus onto other people as the dog 'say hello' to passers by or other dogs. >>

There's a report today of a cat getting the C-virus, so maybe a dog is next ?

<< I did mention on this other forum that it probably isn't a good idea for dog owners to let their animal off the lead, as they could (by touch) pass the virus onto other people as the dog 'say hello' to passers by or other dogs. >>

Cat's are not able to get it - it's a human virus and does not affect other animals

Cat's are not able to get it - it's a human virus and does not affect other animals

It came from bats to humans so not clear why we're able to be confident it cannot go from humans to another animal.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Random

I believe all walks now have to bbe done form home. Driving a walk isn't permitted.

They (cats, not cat's) can still transmit it to other people simply by touch - no different to me touching a door handle then you doing so.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - thecloser

Vaguely on this thread. Am I allowed to wash my car which is parked in a parking bay adjacent to my home. It got absolutely splattered by a passing artic the last time I went out in it (about 5 days ago).

Vaguely on this thread. Am I allowed to wash my car which is parked in a parking bay adjacent to my home. It got absolutely splattered by a passing artic the last time I went out in it (about 5 days ago).

Yes, you can.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - thecloser

Thank you, Alan.

They (cats, not cat's) can still transmit it to other people simply by touch - no different to me touching a door handle then you doing so.

They said the cat had Coronavirus - that's not possible.

<< They said the cat had Coronavirus - that's not possible. >>

That's a very authoritative statement. What's your basis for making it ?

<< They said the cat had Coronavirus - that's not possible. >>

That's a very authoritative statement. What's your basis for making it ?

Info taken from WHO - at present there is no evidence that companion animals/pets such as dogs or cats can be infected with the new coronavirus.

They said the cat had Coronavirus - that's not possible.

Not necessarily - the virus likely eminated from a wet makret, i.e. from animals, and jumped to humans in the unsanitary conditions.

And even if cats cannot get it, they and other pets can, as I said, transfer it from person to person by touch, just like we could, even if we don't actually get it ourselves.

And even if cats cannot get it, they and other pets can, as I said, transfer it from person to person by touch, just like we could, even if we don't actually get it ourselves.

Like you said you have already mentioned that...why mention it again?

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - Mr D Og

How about pots and kettles Andy? Your correcting the use of an apostrophe in the word cats above is as unnecessary as my not pointing out the number of errors in several of your posts!

How about pots and kettles Andy? Your correcting the use of an apostrophe in the word cats above is as unnecessary as my not pointing out the number of errors in several of your posts!

Nope - I was merely pointing that out to Alan who asked me to 'use my brain', showing that maybe he needed to engage his first before making such a remark. People make gramatical mistakes (and we aren't that concerned about it normally), but the 'use yor brain' comment wasn't warranted from Alan, so I returned the 'complement'.

Nope - I was merely pointing that out to Alan who asked me to 'use my brain', showing that maybe he needed to engage his first before making such a remark. People make gramatical mistakes (and we aren't that concerned about it normally), but the 'use yor brain' comment wasn't warranted from Alan, so I returned the 'complement'.

So just being petty...and not even in response to my post to you but on something else.

PS - it is 'your' ;-)

Please keep it civilised and (given the thread title) to the point. People might look at this thread hoping for - believe it or not - advice on not using the car due to self-isolation.

Fortunately there's some sensible advice at the beginning of the thread.

Edited by Avant on 30/03/2020 at 23:24

Please keep it civilised and (given the thread title) to the point. People might look at this thread hoping for - believe it or not - advice on not using the car due to self-isolation.

Fortunately there's some sensible advice at the beginning of the thread.

Well said, Avant. Suggest close thread and advise reading no further than the first ten posts.

Some cats can!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - groaver

Some cats can!!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52177586

Yes, I saw that and thought of this thread.

Cats can catch a version of a coronavirus, so it wouldn't be a leap of faith to think it might mutate to infect them.

Advice-not using car due to self isolation - groaver

www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-52204534

Ah! They can catch it.