PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - Old.Roverboy

With current events, Car manufacturers have shuttered most of production and so, Soon dealers will have almost nothing to sell.

What might happen to all those PCP contracts coming home to roost?

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - Will deBeast

As PCP includes an option to buy at the end, if there are no new cars to buy, people may simply buy the car they have been leasing. I'm sure the PCP finance company can come up with an attractive offer.

Much harder for people who have lost their job, of course.

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - Andrew-T

With current events, Car manufacturers have shuttered most of production and so, Soon dealers will have almost nothing to sell.

This reminds me of the fate that overtook the Peugeot dealer in Northwich (Cheshire) many years back; I used to patronise them on a modest scale. I don't know the exact story, but I believe much of their stock disappeared almost overnight, either legally or illegally, and their franchise with it. The company name is still trading, but only as an almost backstreet servicing garage.

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - Falkirk Bairn

Dealers of all sizes have "stock finance" i.e. the cars on the forecourt are owned by a Finance/Bank.

If they do not keep up the finance payments the bank/finance company will sent car transporters & the stock disappears.

Likewise the title of new cars might not pass from the manufacturer/importer to the garage until the car is retiled/registered - payment is made to the garage by the punter & on the same day the garage pays the manufacturer.

If you are looking for garage groups in trouble both Pendragon (Stratstone, evans halshaw...)

Lookers (150 outlets) have their share prices in pence Pendragon 5p & Lookers about 12p.

Trading has been tough in the last year but it can only get tougher with Covid 19.

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - catsdad
New car sales will tank in the short term for the reasons given plus the sinking pound.

However there will be a steady supply of used stock from people unable to keep up the payments.
I am not criticising individuals, many of whom will be poorer for reasons they could not have predicted, but the new car sales system has been built on sand.
PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - expat
New car sales will tank in the short term for the reasons given plus the sinking pound. However there will be a steady supply of used stock from people unable to keep up the payments.

If they cannot keep up the payments they are unlikely to have been able to pay for maintenance either. I would not buy one of those.

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - Terry W

I think there are a number of short term impacts on the market over the next 3-6 months.

For new cars the supply will begin to slow. The number of buyers will also decline due to (a) people self isolating and not visiting showrooms, and (b) uncertainty over job security and income. Dealers may struggle, but possibly little impact on prices if reduced supply for the next few months broadly continues to match reduced demand.

The nearly new market - often sold through main dealers and car supermarkets - are typically ex-hire or lease up to 18 months old and ~20,000 miles. What happens here may depend on the original lease or sale terms - for the next few months people may want to extend an existing lease rather than replace it.

However the car supermarkets may already have commitments to take cars from hire and leasing companies which they can't avoid. Their prices may need to be reduced significantly as they may be unable to finance the increase in vehicle stocks.

Further down the chain sales will be significantly impacted by the virus as (mostly) changing a car can be deferred for several months or even years. So there could be some very good deals out there as dealers seek to move existing stock as the need the cash flow.

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - Andrew-T

Don't be surprised to see another daft scrappage scheme, like we had back in 2008. Who cares about the planet when the global economy is in trouble?

I shouldn't be ungrateful - the car I got at a very fair price then is still running faultlessly, and my previous one wasn't scrapped ...

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - carl233

PCP = debt, it means you do not own the car, however the people in debt can take on more debt, when this debt is at the limit, there will always be yet even more debt, who needs savings when the world will offer you debt. Do not save simply spend, spend spend, it is ok you may never retire but you will still have owned a nice shiny new car with a short 36 month warranty. Please spend spend your masters have requested that you do this whilst also being ignorant that you are spending your and in addition your wider family's financial future. Do not worry about this minor detail though the taxes that you have paid in will bail out everyone have a good time.....

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - groaver

PCP = debt, it means you do not own the car, however the people in debt can take on more debt, when this debt is at the limit, there will always be yet even more debt, who needs savings when the world will offer you debt. Do not save simply spend, spend spend, it is ok you may never retire but you will still have owned a nice shiny new car with a short 36 month warranty. Please spend spend your masters have requested that you do this whilst also being ignorant that you are spending your and in addition your wider family's financial future. Do not worry about this minor detail though the taxes that you have paid in will bail out everyone have a good time.....

And this one is for you, carl233:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAS_cGIO5GM

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - daveyK_UK
Later in the year the financial companies will incentivise new sales on pcp deals due to government support/pressure around Europe and the UK with the factories back at full capacity where possible.

The main price drop will be anything pre registered over the next 2-3 months along with the 3 & 4 year old PCP and fleet returns that will not achieve the expected valuations.

That is my prediction if the Chinese virus remains problematic into the summer months.

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - Old.Roverboy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAS_cGIO5GM

I like it! (and in some respects as guilty....

Good luck to all.

Stay Safe

ORB

PCP and leasing - Dealers and the downfall? - HandCart

Ah... ex Porcupine Tree...

"groaver" makes me think of machine heads...