Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - Westbury33

Hello,

Very recently purchased a 2014 308 SW 1.6 HDi with just over 50k on the clock. The clutch is making this noise:

youtu.be/jqwlIQPKS1w

What do you think?

I have to say the 308 is an underated car in my opinion, and I do love the way it drives, but this noise is a concern.

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - madf

SOuinds like clutch release bearing noise..

Live with or spend money on new clutch as well as bearing

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - Peter.N.

I would second that.

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - edlithgow

That seems to imply it could go on like that for quite a while.

What are the risk of doing this?

I suppose the obvious one is that one rainy day your clutch release bearing doesn't, so you (and it) are stuck.

How about collateral damage? Gearbox? Shaft?

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - Bolt

they have been known to on for years depending on materials used, they sometimes break up quickly as well, which is why its recommended to change clutch assy asap as its not certain how long it will last?

but I have never known a release bearing to damage a shaft

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - madf

What are the risk of doing this?

I suppose the obvious one is that one rainy day your clutch release bearing doesn't, so you (and it) are stuck.

How about collateral damage? Gearbox? Shaft?

Clint Eastwood had a classic reply to this and many questions like it:

"Are you feeling lucky?"

Becuase that is the only real answer: it MAY last years: or fail tomorrow..

Collateral damage? Nevr heard of it but see my sentence above..

Thanks very much for your responses to my first post on the HJ forum, much appreciated,

The Peugeot garage I purchased my 'Approved Used' 308 1.6 HDi from a few days ago, are telling me that yes it is noisy, but not so noisy as to need replacing. I am not sure how noisy they would need it to be!

I have compared it with an identical 308 1.6 HDi (age/mileage etc) which makes no noise whatsoever when the clutch is depressed and released again.

It is interesting that a school of thought says it could go on for years, and not cause further damage if the bearing fails.

I will press the main dealer to replaced the bearing, but I do feel they would rather I just returned the car so as they could then retail to a person with no mechanical knowledge and ideally a malfunctioning hearing aid!

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - Andrew-T

The Peugeot garage I purchased my 'Approved Used' 308 1.6 HDi from a few days ago, are telling me that yes it is noisy, but not so noisy as to need replacing. I am not sure how noisy they would need it to be!

I will press the main dealer to replace the bearing, but I do feel they would rather I just returned the car so as they could then retail to a person with no mechanical knowledge and ideally a malfunctioning hearing aid!

The selling dealer is probably hoping that you will not require them to fix it for free, but maybe bring it back too late to make a valid claim. I would doubt that they would like to reverse the sale and take the car back from you. If you can ask a knowledgeable third party for an opinion that might provide some leverage. But if the car is Approved Used I think it should not have a noisy release bearing at that mileage.

I will press the main dealer to replace the bearing, but I do feel they would rather I just returned the car so as they could then retail to a person with no mechanical knowledge and ideally a malfunctioning hearing aid!

The selling dealer is probably hoping that you will not require them to fix it for free, but maybe bring it back too late to make a valid claim. I would doubt that they would like to reverse the sale and take the car back from you. If you can ask a knowledgeable third party for an opinion that might provide some leverage. But if the car is Approved Used I think it should not have a noisy release bearing at that mileage.

You've hit the nail on the head. Their solution so far is "monitor it and we'll see". I am not happy for this to happen, and have made my thoughts known. a definitive response from them is due Monday.

I really do no want to return the car, as it is just what I was looking for, full dealer history and one private owner. I do want it repaired and hence the looking for opinions. I am aware I am very lucky indeed to have noticed it within 5 days of collecting the car and reported immediately with the prospect of successful recourse.

Re the Approved Used........welll having inspected the car on a ramp, the dealer most definetly did not prepare the car at all well and missed some basic and serious items on the supposed 100+ point check. Moreover, I am still surprised and dissappointed that a franchise would retail a car with such a noise. I do wish I had identified it prior to purchase however.

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - Andrew-T

<< Re the Approved Used........well having inspected the car on a ramp, the dealer most definitely did not prepare the car at all well and missed some basic and serious items on the supposed 100+ point check. Moreover, I am still surprised and disappointed that a franchise would retail a car with such a noise. >>

Is it possible that your dealer got the car from another franchise and assumed the checks had been done there? You may be able to guess if the previous owner lived some way away. I suppose you could ask for a copy of the 100-point check list and then repeat it yourself.

I have no recent experience of franchised dealers, as it is ten years since our present car came from a (good) Peugeot dealer; the only such visit we have made since was for my wife to try a Hyundai. There are many tales on here about dealerships getting away with the minimum - but in fairness, there are others who run tight and friendly ships.

It is interesting that a school of thought says it could go on for years, and not cause further damage if the bearing fails.

The point is it is not known how long it will last, but if its so noisy its irritating then its time to replace it, they should also agree that when the bearing gets noisy- its worn- and as you dont know how the previous driver used the clutch, it could be close to nearing end of life

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - edlithgow

The human condition. In the midst of life...etc.

In a non-warranty context (which is the only context I'm likely to be operating in) it comes down to a balance of risk/cost, and collateral damage probability would be a big part of that.

Since you ask, Harry, running bangers, I feel lucky at the completion of every journey.

In a warranty context I'd expect them to fix it. Doesn't seem very likely to go into spontaneous remission.

Thread update

I've heard from the Peugeot dealer today, and they are proceeding with replacement of the thrust bearing. I am very pleased with this outcome and impressed with the dealers swift response.

Thanks to the forum members for their opinions and responses.

Listen to my Peugeot 308 Clutch noise ! - bathtub tom

Have you considered asking them to replace the clutch while the gearbox's off, at your cost?

Have you considered asking them to replace the clutch while the gearbox's off, at your cost?

its unusual for a garage to replace just the bearing, so it wouldn't surprise me if they ask anyway, its poor practice imo to not replace the lot! unless after inspection they consider it possible they will get to do the job again at some future point, just my thoughts and may be wrong?

I will most definitely be paying for a new clutch to be fitted. I agree that it makes total sense to do so whilst the gearbox is off.