MOT query - thunderbird

Just been looking on the DVLA site at the MOT history of a car a friend is considering, what a dog, just over 5 years old, 57,000 miles, passed 1st, failed 2nd MOT (wipers and bulbs) with advisories (tyres and brakes), failed 3rd MOT on the advisories from 2nd MOT (tyres now illegal and brakes metal to metal). Considering the car is described as one careful owner with a full service history it shows what a joke some independent dealers are and how some owners simply do no maintenance. Told him to run away, fast.

While I was on I decided to check how our old Focus was doing, went in PX on 03 December last year. Well its taxed until 01 December 2020 thus it must have sold fast but the MOT checker shows the MOT expired 12 December 2019 (correct) and it has not even been failed since we sold it.

So am I correct in assuming the new owner taxed it on the MOT that was current when we sold it and is now driving around with no MOT and has made no effort to even get one?

One possibility I have considered is does he think its a new MOT done in December 2019 and has simply not read the certificate correctly. If he takes it for an MOT its going to cost a fair bit based on the 2018 advisories regarding corrosion.

At least its no longer my car.

MOT query - Andrew-T

So am I correct in assuming the new owner taxed it on the MOT that was current when we sold it and is now driving around with no MOT and has made no effort to even get one?

One possibility I have considered is does he think its a new MOT done in December 2019 and has simply not read the certificate correctly. If he takes it for an MOT its going to cost a fair bit based on the 2018 advisories regarding corrosion.

As the car has been taxed it appears that the new owner intended to use it. But if he changes his mind and sells on, he will get the unused tax back, so no loss really. You can only guess what a new owner may do.

A couple of years back I sold a 205 Garros soft-top to a keen buyer from 300 miles away. I had spent quite a bit on it over 5 years, but got my asking price which was double what I had paid. Turned out the keen buyer was a trader, and the car has been SORNed without MoT ever since, but also for sale on E-bay and Car&Classic for silly money (at least at the moment). No idea whether there have been any interested punters.

MOT query - nellyjak

First thing I do when looking at a vehicle is the MOT history check....even advisories can often give you good indication of how a vehicle has been treated.

I recently checked out a campervan for a friend and whilst the description and pictures showed a virtually immaculate van, the MOT history was frankly awful..with corrosion being the biggest concern...it had many FAILS listed over the years.

A new MOT was promised on the vehicle (the last one was a fail)...but there's one heck of a list to deal with.

I advised him to lose interest in it..fast.!!

MOT query - Engineer Andy

I reasonably near neighbour of mine 'forgot' to MOT their car for 9 months about a couple of years ago and was driving around quite happily, despite it failing the previous MOT on a good few items.

I see a LOT of local (illegally parked) cars on my development that have a very chequered MOT history, presumably because their owners cannot be bothered to look after them until forced to do so.

Another local person I knew quite well admitted what appeared many others were doing - they used the MOT to tell them to replace parts, especially tyres, which they let get down to the proverbial carcass before replacing.

MOT query - edlithgow

In the "Less bad old days" you needed an MOT cert to tax a car, and you needed to display a tax disk.

This meant that, if you taxed for a year just before the MOT ran out, you only needed to MOT every 2 years.

Not LEGALLY, of course, but PRACTICALLY.

I assume computerisation has eroded this...er... freedom.

Here in Taiwan I need to pass inspection every six months, but its quite a lot less thorough /arbitarily picky (depending) than the MOT.

MOT query - thunderbird

In the "Less bad old days" you needed an MOT cert to tax a car,

You still do. As far as I am aware they are checked electronically nowadays (even at the Post Office) but no MOT means no tax.

Update. Just looked at tax reminder and its states that if you tax the car at a Post Office you need

"an MOT or GVT certificate (if your vehicle needs one) valid on the date the vehicle tax starts."

so I was wrong in the first line before the edit.

It only mentions an insurance certificate for Norther Ireland vehicles which presumably means mainland cars have their insurance checked electronically.

Not taxed at the Post Office since the Tax Disc disappeared.

Edited by thunderbird on 25/02/2020 at 09:50

MOT query - Andrew-T

A reasonably near neighbour of mine 'forgot' to MOT their car for 9 months about a couple of years ago and was driving around quite happily, despite it failing the previous MOT on a good few items.

The 306 I bought last summer had no MoT between Christmas 2010 and Christmas 2012. Presumably in order to catch up, the owner took it to K**kF*t who seized the chance to take him for £1200 of jobs, some of which I suspect were unnecessary. There's no suggestion that anyone queried the missing MoT.

MOT query - thunderbird

The 306 I bought last summer had no MoT between Christmas 2010 and Christmas 2012.

If the car was SORN'd it did not need one. Since the 306 is quite an old car now that is very likely to have happened if the owner at the time had bought a newer motor but just taken time to sell the 306.

MOT query - Engineer Andy

The 306 I bought last summer had no MoT between Christmas 2010 and Christmas 2012.

If the car was SORN'd it did not need one. Since the 306 is quite an old car now that is very likely to have happened if the owner at the time had bought a newer motor but just taken time to sell the 306.

I think that some people (in the case of my not-so-near neighbour) who park on private roads/car parks, especially oivernight think they can get away with not MOTing their cars because Plod (and was told this by another neightbour who is one) won't look into it and the DVLA seemingly won't either unless someone reports it or the owner has a fault accident and the Police get involved.

This chap also managed to re-tax the car without having a current MOT, which I thought was impossible, wherever it was done, online, over the phone or at the Post Office, given they just check the database via the registration number (well, the bar code on the form at the post office/Pay Point) to see if it's insured and MOTed.

MOT query - Andrew-T

<< If the car was SORN'd it did not need one. Since the 306 is quite an old car now that is very likely to have happened if the owner at the time had bought a newer motor but just taken time to sell the 306. >>

Yes, it could have been SORNed but I very much doubt it. The owners have told me quite a bit - wife drove new 306 for 10 years, then hubby retired and lost company car while wife got new MINI, so hubby kept the 306 until it was traded in a few years later. Wife thinks the missed MoT was just an oversight.

MOT query - FoxyJukebox

It doesn't stop with MOT's--what about failure to tax a car? Whats to stop a high risking private seller exchanging cash with a private buyer who then acquires the vehicle -on the assumption that the two of them deal with the actual ownership and admin exchange ( tax/MOT/insurance) when the tax and mot is "next due" ?

I wouldn't mind betting it has happened.

MOT query - Will deBeast

The law regards lack of an MOT as an admin-type issue - there is a fine, but no points on your licence. Typically a fixed penalty of £100.

It takes a much more robust line on someone driving a car in dangerous condition - a bigger fine and points. Disqualification for minimum of six months if its a repeat offence. etc.

MOT query - thunderbird

It doesn't stop with MOT's--what about failure to tax a car? Whats to stop a high risking private seller exchanging cash with a private buyer who then acquires the vehicle -on the assumption that the two of them deal with the actual ownership and admin exchange ( tax/MOT/insurance) when the tax and mot is "next due" ?

I wouldn't mind betting it has happened.

And what would be the point. In the real world person A sells the car, informs the DVLA and gets his remaining VED refunded. Person B who buys the cars either phones or goes on-line and taxes the car. Bish bash bosh, job done.

In your suggestion, if I am reading it correctly the buyer drives the car without informing the DVLA for some time. During the time the car still needs to be taxed so no saving and it still needs to be MOT'd.

Then there is insurance, there may be an issue trying to insure a car that you are not the registered keeper of.

Can of worms.

MOT query - retgwte

Oh I dunno, budget for new disks and pads and tyres and I would be more than happy to have a look at it. More concerned that it actually has had the oil changed regularly, as all the other service stuff can be caught up with.

When I part ex cars at 3 years old they are normally MOT'd immediately by the garage and show advisories of front pads and tyres close to legal limit. I hope the person who subsequently buys them gets these done as part of the deal, almost certainly the do, so those advisories are meaningless as its just the garage getting a ticket, as the car had been looked after and the stuff is almost certainly done.

MOT query - ManYad

Based on this thread I started looking at the mot history for advertised used cars. A Mazda CX5 advertised as 36000 mileage shows 58000 miles on mot history!

So looks like we can't really take the advertised numbers at face value.

I just found a great car on Auto Trader.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20181117251...3

MOT query - Andrew-T

Based on this thread I started looking at the mot history for advertised used cars. A Mazda CX5 advertised as 36000 mileage shows 58000 miles on mot history!

It must be pushing one's luck to try this when MoT histories are known to be easily available, but I suppose there are always a few 'plausible' explanations - bought in good faith, odometer had to be reset to zero, etc. .... Maybe it's a clone ?

MOT query - ManYad

Interesting... also sorry for the duplicate post.

MOT query - ManYad

MOT query - Dag Hammar

Just had a look and I can see the error. The MOT history, last MOT on 9 Dec 2019, shows 59215 KILOMETERS and when converted to miles equates to 36794 miles.

Even so, I think the selling dealer is stretching it a bit by advertising the Mazda as having 36000 miles when in truth it is closer to 37000.

The advert does state that the car in question is imported.

Edited by Dag Hammar on 29/02/2020 at 11:47

MOT query - Bromptonaut

The advert does state that the car in question is imported.

The picture of the dash through steering wheel shows the speedo to be calibrated in Km/h. I assume a mph sub scale would be sufficient for construction and use purposes.

Would want to know where it was imported from.

Ireland?

Edited by Bromptonaut on 29/02/2020 at 11:55

MOT query - ManYad

Oh that was the confusion.