Financial Ombudsman - glennbtn

Hi all

Anyone had dealings with the financial ombudsman with rejecting a car. Anyone had to put a complaint in against them ref their service and dragging their feet.

thanks

Glenn

Edited by glennbtn on 04/01/2020 at 23:02

Financial Ombudsman - Bromptonaut

I assume if you're considering a referral to the Ombudsman you've involved finance company as well as the dealer in rejection process.

No personal experience but there are certainly reports that the ombudsman service is in a mess:

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/dec/14/whistleblower-reveals-financial-ombudsman-service-in-disarray

Hi.

Been dealing with Finance company (not my place to reject with the dealer when under finance) and then referred to Ombudsman. They been dragging their heals and to be honest they seem not fit for purpose the same as the car lol.

Just trying to te some back ground on other people experiences with them and looking to escalate as my hander is very slack and sarcastic to be honest.

Just trying to te some back ground on other people experiences with them and looking to escalate as my hander is very slack and sarcastic to be honest.

The FSO's way of working with individual complaint handlers was, at time of its introduction, regarded as an exemplar of how to do this sort of stuff effectively and with a low unit cost. The first Ombudsman, Walter Merricks, moved on after 10 or so years and I'm not sure all of is successors have had the same skills and his effective grip on the organisation.

If you're not happy with your 'handler' then there will be a complaints process. Document your issues and make sure you have specific examples of the foot dragging and sarcasm you complain of.

It might also though be worth taking a step back and reviewing exactly what happened with your car, the dealer and finance company and make sure your pursuing the right person and that, based on other decided cases etc, you actually have a reasonable chance of success.

Nothing gets complaint advisers backs up faster than the person who will not accept advice and ploughs on regardless of cause or merit.

Hi Bromptonaut

Thanks for your comments and I see what your saying. I am not the only one to have the same issue with the same car and same finance company. Some of those have gone through before me (and had the car rejected and refunded in various forms) even though I was at the front of the queue time wise

Financial Ombudsman - concrete

Hi Bromptonaut

Thanks for your comments and I see what your saying. I am not the only one to have the same issue with the same car and same finance company. Some of those have gone through before me (and had the car rejected and refunded in various forms) even though I was at the front of the queue time wise

I think Bromptonaut is correct. The devil is always in the detail. You may need to review your actions and focus correctly. You may be technically correct in your case but if you present it incorrectly or pursue the wrong person the Ombudsman will not be any assistance. They cannot advise you only examine your case and uphold or reject on the facts presented. If, as you state, there is precedence in very similar cases then look there for you remedy. Good luck. Cheers Concrete

Financial Ombudsman - HGV ~ P Valentine

They have no teeth and can only suggest to the company what they think the company should do, they have no teeth mate, and that goes with all ombudsman.

They have no teeth and can only suggest to the company what they think the company should do, they have no teeth mate, and that goes with all ombudsman.

That's wrong too. The company are obliged to accept Ombo's decision (unless they challenge it in court).

Financial Ombudsman - FP

Oh dear! He's not doing very well, is he? (Paul, I mean.)

Financial Ombudsman - oldroverboy.

I once offered to return a car filled with manure to MGrover on the back of a transporter to Longbridge and would invite the national press to the event.

Sadly i don't think Glen can afford to lose that money, but it would certainly make SAIc take notice...

I repeat what i said at the time, which was the condition of the car a few months old was not acceptable.

That said, mine which is now 2 years old, and i believe manufactured sept 2017 has zero paintwork issues.

Upon completion of an investigation, the Ombudsman can make recommendations for remedial action; and if those recommendations are not complied with by the agency, he can report this to the Premier and the Parliament.

Extract from internet, They can propose recommendations but have to go to another body to get them enforced, as I said they have no real power to enforce anything and at best can be influential

www.ombudsman.sa.gov.au/complaints/what-powers-doe.../

Read for yourself if you do not believe me. .

Financial Ombudsman - FP

"www.ombudsman.sa.gov.au/complaints/what-powers-doe.../"

Difficult to see the relevance of the South Australian ombudsman to the topic under discussion.

"www.ombudsman.sa.gov.au/complaints/what-powers-doe.../"

Difficult to see the relevance of the South Australian ombudsman to the topic under discussion.

Indeed. Like the Local Government Ombud in England or perhaps closer to SPSO in Scotland.

No relevance whatsoever to the UK Financial Ombud.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/01/2020 at 20:22

They agree to avoid court for various reasons, the link is above so read for yourself. The difference is if the court said you must then you must unless the rules allow an appeal, but it remains an order.

A recommendation is something very different.

Edited by A Driver since 1988, HGV since on 13/01/2020 at 15:07

They agree to avoid court for various reasons, the link is above so read for yourself.

That link's got nothing to do with the FOS or any other UK Ombud.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/01/2020 at 16:52

Financial Ombudsman - Engineer Andy

They agree to avoid court for various reasons, the link is above so read for yourself.

That link's got nothing to do with the FOS or any other UK Ombud.

From being a subscriber to John Cadogan's YouTube page, the Australian ombudsman/getting compensation etc, especially wrt cars and related financial deals seems to have far more teeth than the UK's version. I agree that we cannot equate their system with ours in what using it can achieve or how quickly things can happen. I wish it could though.

From being a subscriber to John Cadogan's YouTube page, the Australian ombudsman/getting compensation etc, especially wrt cars and related financial deals seems to have far more teeth than the UK's version.

At one time in my professional life i was in an organisation part of who's role touched on making comparisons between this sort of redress in UK, Europe and Commonwealth; what is loosely termed Administrative Justice.

Oz (and NZ) were pretty good at it.

I'm still waiting for 30yrs to tell us why an Oz 'Local Government Ombudsman' has any relevancy to request made by OP in this thread.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 13/01/2020 at 20:41

Financial Ombudsman - concrete

From being a subscriber to John Cadogan's YouTube page, the Australian ombudsman/getting compensation etc, especially wrt cars and related financial deals seems to have far more teeth than the UK's version.

At one time in my professional life i was in an organisation part of who's role touched on making comparisons between this sort of redress in UK, Europe and Commonwealth; what is loosely termed Administrative Justice.

Oz (and NZ) were pretty good at it.

I'm still waiting for 30yrs to tell us why an Oz 'Local Government Ombudsman' has any relevancy to request made by OP in this thread.

They should be good at this, they have a wizard!!!!!!! Concrete

Financial Ombudsman - Engineer Andy

...and he is wonderful!

My mistake then, I thought it was about the legal powers the ombudsman actually have in law.

My mistake then, I thought it was about the legal powers the ombudsman actually have in law.

Looking beyond the FOS there are dozens of Ombudsman schemes. Some, including the FOS, are set up by Act of Parliament. Others, like the Removals Ombudsman, are run by trade bodies. Some are provided commercially, or as not for profit companies, but operate under Statutory Provisions - the one handling airline claims for example.

Each has its own powers, which vary even between those covering Local Government in the UK's constituent territories.

Some have teeth others lack even gums!!!

There is an umbrella body for British Isles:

http://www.ombudsmanassociation.org/index.php (with a website that will give you a migraine!!) membership of which is some kind of hallmark.

There is though no agreed legal definition of the term.

I think they del make it a grey area and try to undermine the influence these people have.